PSA - necro/kin - bestest powersets

honoroit

cultist_leader_by_megalodonias_de16n34-fullview.thumb.jpg.924175d53408ca5b53fa8e2c4cf35e2d.jpg

mm /kin - it works. 

anyone got one they enjoy?

dunno past the 30s yet, but by compare with my seismic/kin corruptor - its going well. 

extremely busy, but rewarding. 

solo wise i can street hunt well while waiting about for groups.

you can buff the spirits and the soul extractions. which is crazy hail of green black ghost goo for the duration.

leaving the pets passive and moving them in hops then flipping them agressive works for me, theyll stay in range for kin buffs.

anyway, /kin works for necro, and I'll bet is good with beasts too.

I was dreadfully worried the healing would be insufficient, but its trivial to resummon to now (alt+q, alt+e, alt+c - someone told me how to make a bind to pop them out 10ft away, works a treat).

I spent 420bn × 2 on CoT costumes for the mms, and i love the necro/ff I have aside.

but, as with everywhere its present, /kin is king.

8ce15baf8c8005e4e057ea220e7f5540.jpg.f11a13372273345b7331f26df3829067.jpg

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 1

Under level 20 everything works and especially a MM. The woes of MMs start at level 54, AoEs. and fast moving teams (though Speedboost ought to alleviate the later). Kin provides no defenses and only some resistances and minions are too dumb to when pulled from the group for them to go back on their own so they will be out of range for the heals.

But.

If you are having fun it is the only thing that really matters.

• Thumbs Up 1

just resummon them? its like a 5s cooldown on zombies, and only 10-15 for the T2/3?

i see a lot of other mm leave their pets dead, and only guess its because they dont have an easy bind for it. e.g.

/bind alt+c powexec_location me:10 Lich

aside, after incarnating, i dont play the high end stuff much at all.

on excelsior, some of the most awful people seem to frequent those loops (as in objectionable - theres an odd crew that have some real twisted nonsense in their heads. like why they changed 5th column losing side nonsense, i wont let myself encounter that).

i like night ward, exemped tfs on high difficulties... stuff and fun.

Knowing what I know now about Masterminds, if I wanted to run a solo /kin mastermind I would likely run it with Robots or Mercs. Kinetics is great for offense and support, poor defensively and debuff-wise. So a pet set with some built in forms of defense, either via self buffs of heals would be best, but Robots and Mercs stand out by being able to take advantage of Group Fly as they are both ranged pets. Having your pets flying can make a very significant impact on how well they survive. Not all enemies have ranged attacks, and even fewer have full rotations of ranged attacks. Some don't have ranged attacks at all. So just hovering your pets just out of melee range can make a very large difference, even with secondaries like /kinetics.

Though this can pose a problem on some maps, such as caverns or sewers. Or against some enemies who aren't put off by your personal flying squad of death. So Group fly isn't a fix-all, but it does affect the majority of maps and enemies. Most maps with a "roof" still allows enough headroom to fly just out of melee reach. And I imagine the new Mercs/Kinetics might actually do quite well.

• Like 1

I played around with a thugs/kin for a while on test using burnout double gangwar, and fulcrum shift. It was sheer chaos incarnate. That said mobs would die occasionally but it was pretty epic.

I haven't made it on live personally, but I do have a well built robo/kin that works well enough. I could see a necro/kin being a nice third necro mm to my undead army (when I multibox Necro masterminds), but I really love pairing Necro with dark miasma, so three  tar patches and darkest nights would be crazy in a fight too.

7 hours ago, Neiska said:

Robots or Mercs

im thinking of trying a robots one with summon team... if i can make a build fit in that much tp. otherwise i gear theyd miss out on the /kin by and large.

for group fly, theyll stay in the aura if theyre on agressive?

Edited by honoroit

2 hours ago, honoroit said:

im thinking of trying a robots one with summon team... if i can make a build fit in that much tp. otherwise i gear theyd miss out on the /kin by and large.

Yes.

6 hours ago, honoroit said:

No, if they are aggressive they will/can run off, unless you tell them to remain in place on aggressive, then they are kind of like turrets. I found for most MM setups staying in bodyguard mode works the best, unless you are on a team. Depends on the setup though. I have always had the best results if i dont try to micromanage my pets too much, but some builds do benifit from that. But yes, if you set them to aggressive and leave them that way they will chase enemies down, and can/will aggro the next group so you will have to follow them to keep them in range, or tell them to come back.

PS - This also all depends if you are on standard or advanced mode for pet controls, there are actually 2 different variations. One is more detailed than the other, which is what I prefer to use.

Edited by Neiska
Added a PS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 5/15/2023 at 1:48 AM, honoroit said:

cultist_leader_by_megalodonias_de16n34-fullview.thumb.jpg.924175d53408ca5b53fa8e2c4cf35e2d.jpg

mm /kin - it works. 

anyone got one they enjoy?

dunno past the 30s yet, but by compare with my seismic/kin corruptor - its going well. 

extremely busy, but rewarding. 

solo wise i can street hunt well while waiting about for groups.

you can buff the spirits and the soul extractions. which is crazy hail of green black ghost goo for the duration.

leaving the pets passive and moving them in hops then flipping them agressive works for me, theyll stay in range for kin buffs.

anyway, /kin works for necro, and I'll bet is good with beasts too.

I was dreadfully worried the healing would be insufficient, but its trivial to resummon to now (alt+q, alt+e, alt+c - someone told me how to make a bind to pop them out 10ft away, works a treat).

I spent 420bn × 2 on CoT costumes for the mms, and i love the necro/ff I have aside.

but, as with everywhere its present, /kin is king.

8ce15baf8c8005e4e057ea220e7f5540.jpg.f11a13372273345b7331f26df3829067.jpg

Paired every primary with kin. Much as i love necro the only 2 i still run are bots and mercs. On any other AT /kin is b tier at worst but on mm's i'd rate it well below /dark /time /storm /traps, possibly even /rad. High level content its some serious micro management and even then your pets will splat more often than not at which point you become just a kin with 0 dps which is how i see most speedy **** content/tf's run when a player shows up with one. 

On the other hand any content below 50 and m /kins are fantastic. Tons of fun and a blessing to teams if you don't mind constant buffing of team mates and pets. I recommend repel with a sudden acc kb/kd and an ff+rech slotted, it'll let you take alphas and keep mobs flopping til pets catch up all you have to do is stand there and heal yourself til they arrive for a fulcrum. Even with speed boost they will feel like they are moving at a walking pace compared to the movement you have from siphon speed and a travel (if you took one)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Meknomancer said:

Paired every primary with kin. Much as i love necro the only 2 i still run are bots and mercs. On any other AT /kin is b tier at worst but on mm's i'd rate it well below /dark /time /storm /traps, possibly even /rad. High level content its some serious micro management and even then your pets will splat more often than not at which point you become just a kin with 0 dps which is how i see most speedy **** content/tf's run when a player shows up with one. 

On the other hand any content below 50 and m /kins are fantastic. Tons of fun and a blessing to teams if you don't mind constant buffing of team mates and pets. I recommend repel with a sudden acc kb/kd and an ff+rech slotted, it'll let you take alphas and keep mobs flopping til pets catch up all you have to do is stand there and heal yourself til they arrive for a fulcrum. Even with speed boost they will feel like they are moving at a walking pace compared to the movement you have from siphon speed and a travel (if you took one)

i didn't even get drain life yet on the necro/kin, who's about 40 now.  and that's a good skill.  I simply don't have room between summoning ghosts, buffing them, and /kin on blast.

thats the real downside of kin, it takes ~50% of your action time when you're full bore at it.

20 hours ago, honoroit said:

i didn't even get drain life yet on the necro/kin, who's about 40 now.  and that's a good skill.  I simply don't have room between summoning ghosts, buffing them, and /kin on blast.

thats the real downside of kin, it takes ~50% of your action time when you're full bore at it.

Dark blast, Gloom, Life Drain. If you have time for all 3 they are worth it, each one has a chance to summon your tanky lil spectre types and even though they won't keep up with you at pace by blasting away they get desummoned and resummoned on the current mob. And they will keep aggro off you. Thats some serious amount of clicking on a /kin which is already click heavy so its a bit of a toss up on if you want to blow all those power picks and some slots or just focus on the tier 1/2/3 pets and soul extraction (and possibly even some team mates although it'll be tough to spot them in a mob with 12-15 necro pets out)

Edited by Meknomancer
add comment

listen, its basically this:

(all embrace me!)

i should post that to general chat. think i will when i get home, kupo.

I'm all keybound and wire-head-stucked for necro/kin(ning), thank you! i cant imagine trying to click things effectively on any coh character.

there just isnt time for life drain!, because im so aggro that we WILL be stacked with siphon power if your not in the most recent stacks of fulcrum, its to cap asap and stsy there.  you do best to follow Honoroit the Cultist closely!

srs tho, i'll likely slip life drain in before ~45 so i can slot it by 50 to 6. it is an amazing skill.

that if i dont try for the leap attack in leaping power pool as a gap closer... ya! i like how it looks as the cot guide. very angry mm.

between the three, life drain is the one to drop, as its 70% on dark blast with half the cast time for a spirit summon (unknown: is there a cooldown on the % chance?)

i got transfusion, and that keeps the pets up. its better a cast of that blind vs life drain, typically.

we'll see!

I agree about your Life Drain conclusion. It’s the power to drop on any tight Necro build if the secondary has any sort of self-heal (Kin, dark, and rad all spring to mind). I have *no* experience with Empathy at all (so offer no opinion), and haven’t run a pain or thermal with Necro. But I would likely take it on the latter two, at least with an accuracy (or A/D HO) and theft of essence proc. 

• Like 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.