Suggest a good Gold-side solo character

7 hours ago, Apogee said:

I load up on double xp to get to the cutoff levels (10, 15, and 20) faster.  You will need to shut off XP regardless if you want to complete all arcs so why not get to the level faster and get the use of your powers/slots sooner?

Because racing to L20 means you're going to miss some content.
If you're trying to do the "completionist" thing, you're better off selectively locking XP just shy of the content level boundaries.

For that, Paragonwiki is your friend.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

19 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Because racing to L20 means you're going to miss some content.
If you're trying to do the "completionist" thing, you're better off selectively locking XP just shy of the content level boundaries.

For that, Paragonwiki is your friend.

I was not suggesting racing to 20.  I suggest race to 10, shut off XP, complete all arcs in Nova, move to Imperial and race to 15, shut off XP and complete all Imperial arcs, then on to Neutropolis and level 20.  Every character I have run through Goldside to 20 I have shut off XP at levels 10, 15, and 20.  Never had an issue with outleveling contacts or missing the badges.  If you want the badges you have to shut off XP.  I just like to have as many powers and slots as possible while I am running content with XP off.

Another thing to note if you are planning on completing every arc, in Imperial City Underground, the Resistance Crusader contact Vagabond will send you to the next contact (Wardog) before you complete the last mission in Vagabond's arc.  It is easy to miss and will prevent you from completing all Crusader arcs in Imperial if you skip over it.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

The third one is either "help the cops" or "help the ghouls"

That I have run multiple times before from my Primal universe characters visiting Praetoria.  There was a really nice player that for a while ran the event nearly every hour. (I apologize, I forget the character name and global.  I wish I could remember as it was as good an act as the folks who run the Incarnate trials, MSRs, and Hamidons.)

13 hours ago, Apogee said:

You will find a few opinions on when to shut off XP as well.  I have run early Goldside at least 20 times, and each time I shut off XP at level 10 for Nova, 15 for Imperial, and 20 for Neutroplis. 

17 minutes ago, lemming said:

Note that the cuttoffs are at: 7, 14, 18, 28, 39 for Gold content.

This guide works: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Apparition's_Complete_Guide_to_Praetoria

Just to be clear, are we to cut off right before those levels or during those levels/before exiting those levels?

On 5/16/2023 at 3:36 PM, Techwright said:

Thinking about finally running through the full gold side, something I'd not done since the OG's Going Rogue.

What suggestions are there for a solid Gold solo character? (archetype & powers)

Anything that's ranged and flies for fighting ghouls.  Anything that controls for everything else.  Gold side is where I learned to love "Confuse" and related powers.

Another tip - IIRC it is possible to run both Loyalist and Resistance missions on one character, but I wouldn't recommend it.  At some point, you'll break quests for one side or the other by defeating someone you needed to keep the party going.

Random question - I haven't seriously played Gold since before we got those tip missions that let you chase down exploration badges.  Is that a thing Gold-side as well?

48 minutes ago, lemming said:

Note that the cuttoffs are at: 7, 14, 18, 28, 39 for Gold content.

This guide works: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Apparition's_Complete_Guide_to_Praetoria

Those may be your cutoffs but they are by no means a requirement to complete all arcs.  You can stop XP at 5, 10, and 15 if you want, but I find that having the extra powers and slots helps survivability.  I stick to my previous statement of stopping at 10, 15, and 20.  There is no requirement to be introduced to a contact by Marchand or Scott.  As a matter of fact, talking with Calvin Scott at level 15+ can easily cause you to miss out on Crow's arc if you are not careful.  Once you start doing Scott's mission arc Crow is removed from the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

Gold side is where I learned to love "Confuse" and related powers.

First Ward is where I learned to HATE confuse.

Warden Gorzi in the "Enter The Forlorn Tunnels" mission.

Managed to beat him.  But he was heavily confused and as he switched, I couldn't affect him anymore and he killed me...

🤬

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Apogee said:

Those may be your cutoffs but they are by no means a requirement to complete all arcs.  You can stop XP at 5, 10, and 15 if you want, but I find that having the extra powers and slots helps survivability.  I stick to my previous statement of stopping at 10, 15, and 20.  There is no requirement to be introduced to a contact by Marchand or Scott.  As a matter of fact, talking with Calvin Scott at level 15+ can easily cause you to miss out on Crow's arc if you are not careful.  Once you start doing Scott's mission arc Crow is removed from the game.

You didn't read the guide at all did you?

The cutoffs have been found to be the ones to use to do all content for Gold side. Going past those levels will stop you from being able to do some contacts.

If you want to do all of it, https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Apparition's_Complete_Guide_to_Praetoria shows you how without causing issues like killing a contact prematurely.  having accidentally gone past the levels I mentioned has made me have to do the arcs via Ouro. 

Sticking to your statement is fine, but you're wrong.

I've read the guide, as well as Redlynn's from 2019.  More importantly, I have played through the 1-20 content on 20+ characters, doing all arcs, getting all completion badges and not once do I have a problem with out leveling or losing contacts.  If you want to hamstring yourself that is fine, you do you.  But just because I don't agree with your way does not make me wrong.  As I said before, you can shut off XP at levels 5, 10, and 15 and complete the arcs as well.  I simply prefer to have more tools available to use while I am running around Nova, Imperial, and Neutropolis.

If you want to see it in action, I am running a Energy/Regen Sentinel through Goldside on Torch.  You are welcome to watch me get the arc completion badges at 10, 15, and 20.

45 minutes ago, Apogee said:

As I said before, you can shut off XP at levels 5, 10, and 15 and complete the arcs as well.  I simply prefer to have more tools available to use while I am running around Nova, Imperial, and Neutropolis.

If you want to see it in action, I am running a Energy/Regen Sentinel through Goldside on Torch.  You are welcome to watch me get the arc completion badges at 10, 15, and 20.

Maybe we're assuming the other is in different zones.

I shut off at 7 for Nova, 14 for Imperial, and 18 for Neutropolis.

11 minutes ago, lemming said:

Maybe we're assuming the other is in different zones.

I shut off at 7 for Nova, 14 for Imperial, and 18 for Neutropolis.

I shut off at 10 for Nova, 15 for Imperial, and 20 for Neutropolis.  I think the difference may be that I do not use Scott and Marchand for introductions to each zone's initial contacts.  I simply go talk with them.  I do enjoy the undercover conversations with Scott and Marchand.  I totally missed that aspect when Going Rogue launched on Live.

Edit:

I think you call those introductions 'breadcrumbs'.  I am on a Keto diet so I have to stay away from bread and other carbs.

Edited by Apogee
  • Haha 1

There's a lot of talk of solo projects here but paradoxically a lot of interest in doing it. I wonder if there's enough interest in getting a small team together to run it pre-planned and do all the content and arcs Goldside as a regular event?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

16 hours ago, Techwright said:

Correcting for greater authenticity:

image.png.be5556b973c5d4a6bc353c129d8a9f62.png

A man walks down the streets of Nova Praetoria in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

8 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

There's a lot of talk of solo projects here but paradoxically a lot of interest in doing it. I wonder if there's enough interest in getting a small team together to run it pre-planned and do all the content and arcs Goldside as a regular event?

4 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

IfYouBuildIt.jpg

I'd be down for it.  Not racing through the content just to get to Primal side, mind you, but not necessarily killing every last goon either.   

My challenge comes from real life.  Due to the nature of my work, I'm never quite sure of the schedule and cannot commit to a classic guild raid-type schedule.  In my case, better to cast a wide net for casual players and get a team or two each time from them.  I'm quite content to re-run content if it aids someone who couldn't show on a previous scheduled event.

I do think it would help the cause if we had something Goldside that functioned like a DFB and DIB.  Not for skipping all low-level content by repeated runnings, but for getting folks started in a team format.  I'd also love it if a couple of task forces could be created for Gold side.  If there were a way to extend the contacts beyond current expiration levels, that might help as well.  If a player wants to race to 20 and exit, fine, but if they want to stay and work through everything towards 30, 40, or 50 without having to run "radio" missions, that might help too.  But all that would require some thought and effort.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:39 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

I solo'd an Elec armor/ice melee tanker from 1-50 Gold Side. I then went primal for incarnate stuff. For stuff from about 35-50 there's repeatable missions or you can run custom arcs in the AE or do a SBB.

All this talk of gold side got me wanting to run it again all the way through Night Ward. Took SeraphimKensai's idea and reversed it with an Ice/Elec brute and so far, loving it. Frost with even a half full fury bar decimates!

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior