CoH Launcher not working, but Wine Devel does...?

Macrotymon

Hello! This is puzzling to me.

I have previously been able to play City of Heroes Homecoming on my Mac (Big Sur 11.7.6) with no problem. But last night, I clicked the CoH Launcher, it popped up along the bar at the top of my screen for a few seconds then disappeared. After not worrying about it for a bit, as this has happened before, I tried again today. Same results. So, I went right to my applications folder, into the win64 folder, and clicked the launcher.exe which brought up the Homecoming User Agreement. I clicked accept and boom, City of Heroes Homecoming opened. But, it said Not Installed. So I installed it and the game worked. Next I closed it all down, tried the CoH Launcher again and same issue (Launcher not working, had to click Wine launcher.exe and re-install the game).

My question is: wtf? HA! Is there anything that I'm missing or am I just going to have to do this process each time?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Sounds similar to a problem I had with Lutris for launching homecoming.

Wound up noting it worked fine called via the shell and wound up just using this

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Games/Homecoming/bin/win64/launcher.exe > ~/down/hclaunch.log 2> ~/down/hclaunch.err &

Directing the output to a couple logs helps point out issues with menus on occasion, but optional

You may need to update your Island Rum or HC Installer.  Download the latest installer from https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/  and run the install wizard.  This will fix the launcher.

Apple recently released a fix for MacOS that caused similar behavior for Wine users across the board.  It could be that, or since you were able to launch it (and install the game in a second folder on your system it seems) the launch process needs updated on the Launchpad/Dock shortcut to start the correct folder.

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.