Curious how people run Goldside 1-20

Apogee

59 minutes ago, Psi-bolt said:

Curious from people who have a lot of experience in this area, but how do the undercover instructions work?  I'll get the message to reach out to Marchand or Calvin and no matter what whether I call or try to walk up to them, there's no interaction. 

This only works if you ran the tutorial when you created your character.  You pick Loyalist or Resistance at the end and can thereafter only work undercover for that faction you originally picked.   The message to call Calvin/Marchand is canned text in the description of the mission.  Everyone sees it.  But only people who, for example, chose Resistance in the tutorial, can call Calvin when they see that message in the description text of a Loyalist mission and have him respond.

I wouldn't worry too much though.  It does not result in any branching storyline that I can remember.   It sometimes has a minor effect on how that mission concludes.  Maybe the target defects to the Resistance instead of being killed/captured.  That sort of thing.  But often enough you're just told to "play along" to avoid suspicion which means nothing is different at all about that mission.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZemX said:

This only works if you ran the tutorial when you created your character.  You pick Loyalist or Resistance at the end and can thereafter only work undercover for that faction you originally picked.   The message to call Calvin/Marchand is canned text in the description of the mission.  Everyone sees it.  But only people who, for example, chose Resistance in the tutorial, can call Calvin when they see that message in the description text of a Loyalist mission and have him respond.

I wouldn't worry too much though.  It does not result in any branching storyline that I can remember.   It sometimes has a minor effect on how that mission concludes.  Maybe the target defects to the Resistance instead of being killed/captured.  That sort of thing.  But often enough you're just told to "play along" to avoid suspicion which means nothing is different at all about that mission.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, ZemX said:

There are a couple missions in Neutropolis that I remember getting different mission objectives from calling in, on both sides. And when you're talking to Merchand on the Crusader arc, I recall him giving you a different option that's less murderous.

2 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

There are a couple missions in Neutropolis that I remember getting different mission objectives from calling in, on both sides. And when you're talking to Merchand on the Crusader arc, I recall him giving you a different option that's less murderous.

Yeah, that's what I mean by it affecting how that one mission concludes, but I don't recall it ever getting referenced again down the line.  It has been a while though.

As of yesterday started a new run on a goldside character. Nothing serious, just messing around. 

Immediately leveled to 9 (+0/8 the Marauder missions w/ 2x Exp) and turned exp off. I was able to do all the Nova contacts except Loyalist Power (didn't bother with the side-swapping, just grabbed contacts). Still at level 9 and had no issues grabbing the same alignment-friendly contacts for Imperial City. 

Probably going to turn EXP back on until level 15 once I'm at the final contacts in Imperial City.

///

As an aside Bio is so cracked even as an early armor. Having you mez protection baked into your first two toggles is so wicked. This set just slaps at every stop along the journey. Really glad HC quietly sanded down some of the edges on the NoFX options. 

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
  • Like 1