Consignment House Rant

TekkyFox

You farm, or you play the market. Ideally, market (marketeering is more scaleable than farming, but returns are delayed and it requires more knowledge; though contrary to what some people think, outside of insane speculative plays it is impossible to lose money by marketeering). There are guides out there, consult them.

Merits, paps and all combat activities are not a remotely comparable source of income and never have been. the official merit reward rate is 20 merits/hr as detailed in SCoRE’s patch notes. Nobody, not even the dev who wrote that, is satisfied with that pittance.

Even the very best merit rewards are gated by reward lockouts, and demand more attention, setup and effort than afk farming. It’s one of the few serious gripes I have about HC. The combat is so offensively unrewarding, it almost actively detracts from the fun. You can assemble a team from the small minority of highly geared players to do a speed 4* ITF twice for 400 merits and 40 paps. I can spend half the time clicking on the MB and make 1 billion inf. Checkmate.

- Signed, a trillionaire

• Thumbs Up 1

Trillions?  There are guides on it.  I have known at least one true whale and a few of the people I regularly gamed with were just shamelessly well off.  I try to keep 1-3 billion liquid plus a base stocked with EVERYTHING.  (I find that to be "virtually unlimited wealth"  unless you want every toon to have mini mode or something )

1-3 billion is yawn easy.  Farm a bit, or craft/convert/sell a bit.

You need a guide for the truly egregious money making.  It is a lot of marketeering.  Which is cute and wanna be vampiric on the community.  They put so much effort into it.  In ancient history a very wealthy man pointed something out....in the end it does not matter.

• Like 1

This is a question. A one sentence question.

I don't think you know what a rant is. I came in here expecting at least three paragraphs, but you just ask a simple question that's been answered dozens of times in the Market and Guides forums. It's almost like ranting is a lost art; gone to the americans.

Express an opinion. Tell us how much you hate that big sea gulls get all the food. Complain about soggy french fries and how they'd be better if people double fried them to be extra-crispy. Go on a tirade about how there's a co-operative task force to protect Wentworths, but there really needs to be a Strike Force to rob it. Something.

You have shamed the word rant. I turn my back to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

You have shamed the word rant. I turn my back to you.

Wait, I think I can save this. Turn it into a rant. Or at the very least, a diatribe. Hopefully not a screed, though -- I don't want anybody to get hurt.

Which is to say, I get it, to a point. I've tried reading these mythical guides people keep mentioning, but most of them are so vague and paranoid and secretive as to be almost useless.

"How do I get started using the market to make money?"
"There are already guides. Read those."
"I've read several. They all said I should do something called 'converter roulette,' but none of them explained what that is or how to do it."
"Oh, that's because it's explained in other guides."

"I looked at other guides, none of them had any actual useful advice. Like, what kinds of things should I be on the lookout for? What should I convert things into?"
"You'll figure it out."
"Yeah, that's literally what I'm trying to do right now. Can you give me any specific, practical information I can use as a jumping-off point? Please?"
"What? You mean mention a particular recipe or piece of salvage in this context, even just for the purposes of providing an example, instead of just gesturing vaguely toward the market as an overall concept?"

"Kinda, yeah. Not that I expect it to be perfect, I understand we're talking about a living economy that's constantly changing due to any number of different factors, but literally any kind of actual starting point would be really helpful."
"But my niche!"

It's like trying to get a mobster to give you a straight answer about how he's able to afford the Mercedes he bought for his wife as an anniversary gift: "I do business. If you know what's good for you, you won't worry about what kind. Capiche?"

• Like 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

9 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

Wait, I think I can save this. Turn it into a rant. Or at the very least, a diatribe. Hopefully not a screed, though -- I don't want anybody to get hurt.

Which is to say, I get it, to a point. I've tried reading these mythical guides people keep mentioning, but most of them are so vague and paranoid and secretive as to be almost useless.

"How do I get started using the market to make money?"
"There are already guides. Read those."
"I've read several. They all said I should do something called 'converter roulette,' but none of them explained what that is or how to do it."
"Oh, that's because it's explained in other guides."

"I looked at other guides, none of them had any actual useful advice. Like, what kinds of things should I be on the lookout for? What should I convert things into?"
"You'll figure it out."
"Yeah, that's literally what I'm trying to do right now. Can you give me any specific, practical information I can use as a jumping-off point? Please?"
"What? You mean mention a particular recipe or piece of salvage in this context, even just for the purposes of providing an example, instead of just gesturing vaguely toward the market as an overall concept?"

"Kinda, yeah. Not that I expect it to be perfect, I understand we're talking about a living economy that's constantly changing due to any number of different factors, but literally any kind of actual starting point would be really helpful."
"But my niche!"

It's like trying to get a mobster to give you a straight answer about how he's able to afford the Mercedes he bought for his wife as an anniversary gift: "I do business. If you know what's good for you, you won't worry about what kind. Capiche?"

Feel free to PM me if you're serious and want more laser-guided tips and tricks! I don't have a niche!

• Thanks 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I guess the problem there is that the specifics of "converter roulette" are in constant flux.

See, you need to be able to buy the cheapest uncommon recipes available. But, as you do that, suply goes down, and price goes up. Conversely, once you are able to convert those uncommons to the good rares, you can't just turn them all into LotG: +Recharge, as that will flood the market, crash the price, and your returns will dwindle (especially if you spent over a million inf on the converters used to get there).

So basically, you have to keep an eye on what you're buying, and what you're going to attempt to sell. If there's a glut of LotGs, hold on to them for a rainy day. If there's a run on them for any reason (like if a new def based armor set comes out), list them and cash in!

Too bad land speculation isn't a thing in the game. That would be the way to trillions.  I've had my eye on this little island in The Chantry.  I just know it's going to be a retail powerhouse soon.  I expect a combo fueling station/Starbucks there before the year is out, and things will expand rapidly from there.  No I'm not going to tell you which island!  The devs might add land speculation in the next Page, and I need to be ready for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've never made trillions, I don't liked homework.  I'm here to pewpewpew.

I have only rarely, rarely, been hard up enough for inf that I acutely felt it.

Play the game and enough will flow to help you out (unless you're a crazy min/maxer looking to slot 15 purple sets, but even that I could have done after a bit, if I had wanted to; but that too in unnecessary to play)

• Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Mjolnerd said:

Your post is valid, and worthy of being deemed a philippic.  I'm slowly working on the final guide anyone will ever need on how to get the items you want, but I'm kind of tied up with some other things nowadays and it's pretty comprehensive.  Until then, I think this one is pretty specific and entertaining to read.  It sure was entertaining to write!

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

24 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I've never made trillions, I don't liked homework.  I'm here to pewpewpew.

I have only rarely, rarely, been hard up enough for inf that I acutely felt it.

Play the game and enough will flow to help you out (unless you're a crazy min/maxer looking to slot 15 purple sets, but even that I could have done after a bit, if I had wanted to; but that too in unnecessary to play)

This is my problem too. I loathe farming and doing market stuff. It feels like work, not fun. And I play games to have fun. Which is why I have a bunch of 50s still sitting with common IOs cause I can't do full IO builds.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Too bad land speculation isn't a thing in the game. That would be the way to trillions.  I've had my eye on this little island in The Chantry.  I just know it's going to be a retail powerhouse soon.  I expect a combo fueling station/Starbucks there before the year is out, and things will expand rapidly from there.  No I'm not going to tell you which island!  The devs might add land speculation in the next Page, and I need to be ready for it.

Isn't there a gas station / garage out there somewhere?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TekkyFox said:

How do you make trillions of inf?

Rather than answer your question, let me ask - why would you want trillions of inf?  What would you do with it?

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I know of a gas station in Pocket D that is open for development

• Thumbs Up 2

just went thru my email and i went over 3B recently.   And not long ago, I fully outfitted one of my alts with purple/winter/etc..., but didn't actually got to the auction house except for some relatively cheap items.  Wound up spending maybe 50m, probably less?

You play the game, maybe throw some stuff onto the auction house, and you just make influence.  I have 21 fully kitted out level 50 characters.  My main obstacle to kitting out the rest is just the time to do so, not the resources.  (And they're all somewhat done, just tweaks needed))

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Feel free to PM me if you're serious and want more laser-guided tips and tricks! I don't have a niche!

Thank you! I will take you up on that later on. Appreciate it!

12 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Your post is valid, and worthy of being deemed a philippic.  I'm slowly working on the final guide anyone will ever need on how to get the items you want, but I'm kind of tied up with some other things nowadays and it's pretty comprehensive.  Until then, I think this one is pretty specific and entertaining to read.  It sure was entertaining to write!

Okay, see, even after just glancing at the TL;DR paragraph in the first post, this is already about ten times as useful as most guides I've tried -- generally those are about 25% self-congratulation about how much money the poster makes, 40% assuming the reader already knows the jargon they're throwing around, 10% "I'd go into more detail here, but of course you understand why I can't winky-face emoji," and 25% implying that anyone not currently Scrooge McDucking their way around an enormous tower filled with enough inf to swim through is either lazy or stupid because making money is just so easy to do you guys oh em gee I can't believe everybody isn't as rich as me.

It can be very easy for someone with in-depth knowledge of a subject to forget just how ignorant others might be about it. The vast, vast, vast majority of "get rich on the market" guides are written by consignment-house billionaires, for other consignment-house billionaires -- people who, frankly, don't really need a guide. Almost none of these things are targeted at people who don't already have a comprehensive education about how it all works. They might claim to be, or they might be indented to be, but in practice they aren't. They're just obtuse and confusing and rely on the assumption that the reader has already gone through dozens of other, very specific, pre-existing guides, some of which probably aren't even here on the forums because what do you mean you don't also frequent Reddit and Discord and the archives of the old forums from live? That's why "just use a guide, they're already out there" is so frustrating. This one is much better about... not being that, than most.

Also, I thought I'd share this funny meme I found. Apropos of nothing, of course. Isn't it entertaining? I apologize for it being completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

aa0.jpg

Edited by Mjolnerd
  • Haha 4

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

18 hours ago, TekkyFox said:

How do you make trillions of inf?

((Time * Patience)/luck)Market savvy + miskeying by other players placing bids

• Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.