Defeats in need of badges

10 hours ago, Luminara said:

If more defeat badges were added, they should be something more than that.  Like... a badge for defeating 100 Fake Nemesis without allowing them to activate PFF.  Or 100 Sky Raider Engineers before they summon FFGs.

While I disagree with the principle of the rest of Lumi's post, I actually like where it goes: Defeat badges for not just doing something, but doing it skillfully!

Others might be "Defeat Malta Sappers before they get a shot off", "Defeat Assembler Princes before they can create reinforcements", "Defeat War Walkers without getting hit by their Orbital Lance", etc. Basically any bad guy with a gimmick =)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, Luminara said:

Almost all defeat badges are just participation awards for repetitive clicking.  Like those annoying fucking mobile games that give you crap for tapping the screen several thousand times.  That's all they are.  They don't teach the player anything, such as how to best defeat those enemies.  They don't reward the player for doing something clever.  They don't even reflect doing anything "right".  They're gold stars for pressing a key 100-1000 times.

It gives me the distinct impression of something conceived by a Big Business think tank as another means of keeping the populace ignorant and compliant.  Being "rewarded" for such a meaningless, tedious and pointless thing, without even pushing us to do more than press that single key over and over and over again, teaches us not to think, not to question, not to strive, not to experiment.

And that thought fills me with an actinic fury that makes the sun seem wan.  We're more than cogs in a machine.  We deserve more than to be pacified with pats on the head for not questioning, not thinking, not exploring our limits, not excelling.  If more defeat badges were added, they should be something more than that.  Like... a badge for defeating 100 Fake Nemesis without allowing them to activate PFF.  Or 100 Sky Raider Engineers before they summon FFGs.

But another round of "press 1 this many times, profit"?  If I wanted that, I'd be playing uninspired, repetitive mobile games.

Perhaps a minor reward then for those not set to a skilled outcome?  Like, for every 10 of these you collect your damage / defense / endurance / accuracy / (fill in the goal) goes up 0.005%.  (I'm just spitballing a number with no real idea where it should be set.)  Maybe set it to random goal, or tiered so each of those bonuses gets bumped once.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:26 PM, Luminara said:

Like... a badge for defeating 100 Fake Nemesis without allowing them to activate PFF.  Or 100 Sky Raider Engineers before they summon FFGs.

I'm not saying that they're not interesting ideas, but it's kind of incredulous to imply that these are in any way "clever" in ways that current defeat badges are not.

Kinda like how people claim the classic-style "Master of" badges are a challenge when if anything, the point of the badges is not to challenge yourself.

Edited by Lazarillo

8 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

I'm not saying that they're not interesting ideas, but it's kind of incredulous to imply that these are in any way "clever" in ways that current defeat badges are not.

What does Weatherman/Weathergirl teach you about dealing with Outcasts?  How does Finder guide a player in the best ways to deal with Lost bosses?  When you acquire Spellbinding, what have you learned about fighting Cabal sorceresses?  What, exactly, do you consider intelligent or educational about Man/Woman in Black?  What's clever about badges that don't encourage strategy, or forethought, or caution, or studying the enemy to find a weakness, or anything other than plunging ahead blindly?

There are a few, a scant few, defeat badges which help players learn to act appropriately when facing certain enemies.  Protectorate, for example, encourages players to deal with an entity which poses a serious threat to progress/teammates, the emanators that DE lieutenants drop when they're aggroed.  That is intelligent use of the badge system, emphasizing the hazard posed and prompting players to deal with it immediately.  That's clever.  Badges which don't do that, badges that require nothing more from the player than mashing attacks, badges which typically drive the player to ignore the biggest threats and focus on the enemies with the lowest HP simply because they'll lead to "earning" the badge more quickly, aren't.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 hours ago, Luminara said:

What does Weatherman/Weathergirl teach you about dealing with Outcasts?  How does Finder guide a player in the best ways to deal with Lost bosses? 

While it is possible to street-sweep to collect most defeat badges, there is an invisible (to other players) component of being able to run specific content that yields up enough of certain enemies without having to street sweep. Owning the badge itself conveys none of that information, but players are free to display any earned badge for whatever reason they like.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luminara said:

What does Weatherman/Weathergirl teach you about dealing with Outcasts? 

Other than the fact that, if you see a single Outcast attempting a purse snatching, with no fellow Outcasts close by, it's always a boss?

• 4 weeks later

Isn't there a badge for defeating rikti portals (the ones the comm officers summon) I doubt anyone even tries for that badge anymore as Killing the Comm Officer is so easy.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I don't remember there being a badge specifically for the Rikti portals, but I'm certain there isn't one for the portals in the Oranbega portal rooms — although since there are only seven in each room, they're not common in the Oranbega maps, and only appear in the Oranbega maps, it would take some work to get 100 of them. You'd have to hit up CoT radio missions and Ouro flashbacks to finish it.

If my memory serves me right didn't the badge for Zeus Titans (not Kronos) require it to be from when two Herc Titans combined? like you had to get two down low to get them to combine?  I mean I could have been drunk, or am drunk now but I mean MonkeyWrencher says combination of two damaged Hercs but then wiki says just finish 50 Zeus.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, High_Beam said:

If my memory serves me right didn't the badge for Zeus Titans (not Kronos) require it to be from when two Herc Titans combined? like you had to get two down low to get them to combine?

私 の 記憶 が 確かならば... (Chairman Kaga reference there) it was always just defeating the Zeus; in the entire live run of CoH, I was only ever able to force two pairs of Hercules titans to merge, but I had three or four characters with the badge for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

私 の 記憶 が 確かならば... (Chairman Kaga reference there) it was always just defeating the Zeus; in the entire live run of CoH, I was only ever able to force two pairs of Hercules titans to merge, but I had three or four characters with the badge for them.

Correct about the badge.   To get them to merge, they need to be from the same group and one needs to be knocked down in health a bit though getting them both very wounded works best

On 5/24/2023 at 7:52 AM, Techwright said:

Is there a group / Are there groups that you feel should require a badge under "Defeats" for X number dropped, but currently there is none?

Which ones, and how many units defeated do you consider a balanced exchange for a badge?  Be sure to note what rank they might hold in their organization.  Consider all three sides: blue, red, gold.

I think there should be a catch all badge for this:

Badge for killing N number of mobs that killing doesn't count toward earning any badge.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

Rikti (aside from the monkeys) need badges IMHO, mostly because of the history they have in Paragon City, and the twice they have invaded. I know there are the invasion badges (and an accolade power to go with it) but the RIkti mobs themselves don't have very many badges tied to them.

Two versions for the Awaken, one general defeat badge using the point system. Bosses give more points that, lts, etc... Called, the Somnambulist.

Another Awaken badge for defeating, Subjugators, before they consume a seer. Called, the Liberator, or something about interrupting someone's meal like Meal Interrupted.