Spamming chat with what you are listening to.

17 hours ago, Panache said:

I’m honestly surprised that people don’t delete General Chat from their tab as soon as they log in and set up their UI. Like, why?

For me: It's rarely a cesspool on Everlasting and sometimes genuinely interesting/fun conversations happen there. And 99% of the time I'm able to completely ignore it. There's enough other crap going by from the default chat setups that most of the time I miss what's happening there anyway since I'm typically in game to play the game.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

22 hours ago, Panache said:

I’m honestly surprised that people don’t delete General Chat from their tab as soon as they log in and set up their UI. Like, why?

I mentioned upthread that I do exactly that. Because I don't, personally, care about what's happening there, but also don't begrudge people using the General chat channel for general chatting. I simply take my leave without complaint.

12 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Well I was offering an alternative reason for the chat but if you're taking my response so literally perhaps if the fictitious player in question was struggling, maybe they didn't know of the existence of the help channel.

Given that both channels are enabled for all characters by default, I don't think it would be unfair to presume that anyone aware of one is probably also aware of the other. At the very least, someone asking for advice on a particular in-game subject in General is likely to be gently directed toward a more focused, topic-specific channel where they can get more focused, topic-specific answers.

Either way, though, that (obviously) wasn't the point I was making. My point was, if someone has a game-related topic they want to discuss, there are dedicated channels already in place for most of those topics -- Help, LFG, Arena, et cetera. And those players should absolutely take those discissions the appropriate channels. But the purpose of the General channel is, again, just to be... well, general. It's the "whatever" channel. Unless we're going to advocate for the unnecessary, draconian step of demanding that nobody ever use in-game chat to discuss any topics not directly related to the game, General is absolutely the right place for idle communication and socialization. As long as they're not posting anything to it that's harmful or otherwise a violation of HC's rules -- and as long as they're not flooding the chat with multiple lines at a time and preventing others from using it -- then whatever people are posting, whether or not you or I personally care about it, isn't "spamming," it's just chatting.

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

38 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

I mentioned upthread that I do exactly that. Because I don't, personally, care about what's happening there, but also don't begrudge people using the General chat channel for general chatting. I simply take my leave without complaint.

Given that both channels are enabled for all characters by default, I don't think it would be unfair to presume that anyone aware of one is probably also aware of the other. At the very least, someone asking for advice on a particular in-game subject in General is likely to be gently directed toward a more focused, topic-specific channel where they can get more focused, topic-specific answers.

Either way, though, that (obviously) wasn't the point I was making. My point was, if someone has a game-related topic they want to discuss, there are dedicated channels already in place for most of those topics -- Help, LFG, Arena, et cetera. And those players should absolutely take those discissions the appropriate channels. But the purpose of the General channel is, again, just to be... well, general. It's the "whatever" channel. Unless we're going to advocate for the unnecessary, draconian step of demanding that nobody ever use in-game chat to discuss any topics not directly related to the game, General is absolutely the right place for idle communication and socialization. As long as they're not posting anything to it that's harmful or otherwise a violation of HC's rules -- and as long as they're not flooding the chat with multiple lines at a time and preventing others from using it -- then whatever people are posting, whether or not you or I personally care about it, isn't "spamming," it's just chatting.

I am grateful for the level of seriousness and dedication you've brought to my previous comments. Your responses have been enlightening. Thank you for your input.

A friend asked me if I knew any Motown puns. I told him I know two or three, maybe four, tops!

• Thumbs Up 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

On 5/28/2023 at 1:15 AM, Panache said:

I logged on today and after a while I thought "What the F**K do I even have this channel?

I deleted it and it's ultimately the best solution.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anything has to be better that the original barrens chat. 

• Haha 1

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

12 minutes ago, Sovera said:

And then we are roleplaying and someone starts humming a song, or singing it, and plants the youtube URL for the song in chat -_-

We need a way to reenact the scene from Star Trek 4, with the punk blasting music on the bus, only in-game...

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

And then we are roleplaying and someone starts humming a song, or singing it, and plants the youtube URL for the song in chat -_-

"... and let me tell you something, it doesn't matter if you don't know the lyrics. It's Death Metal. No one will know the difference."

You mean thusly? 🤣

MCU-Marvel-Movie-Quotes-004-I-can-do-this-all-day-captain-america-avengers-end-game.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.