Lull in content 40-49

Snarky

I have heard it said it is roughly the same time to get 1-40 as it is 40-50.  

Now I do a lot of alting with various "plans" for leveling.

My latest binge is a Seismic Earth Blaster.  I chose not to farm myself at all.  Planning to do every Task Force, Strike Force, and Trial in roughly level order.  I did DFB 4 times for the buffs to low 20s.  I did DiB once for damage buff to 30 and badges.  I used the double exp booster.  I did every TF except TV 1 Treespec 1 and Ice Mistral that cap out pre 40 or 40.  That left me at level 43. 

Folks....there is shit to do 40-49.  Not news I am sure.  But someone planned poorly.  Most (all?) of the 45-50 TF/SF/Trials are run at 50.  Many times at speed for crap exp, if you can get on a team that really wants 50s.

Never fear, Snarky always has suggestions!  What content is dreaded and ran rarely.  That's right.  Shadow Shard TFs.  I suggest giving a FAT experience reward above and beyond all current reards.  (and I mean BIG) to encourage teams in the 40-49 levels to run these.  No big rewrites, no huge programming.  Problem.   Solution.  Duct tape.

12 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Most (all?) of the 45-50 TF/SF/Trials are run at 50.

I'm always disappointed when I see this.  I tend to avoid teams that require all members be 50, even on my level 50s, not that they care.  They fill quickly enough, but I just don't like being a part of that.  Those times that I do end up on those teams typically a handful of 50+ characters rush through obliterating everything and they could easily have let everyone else door-sit.  No reason at all to require that everyone be 50+.

Edited by carroto
  • Like 2

40-49 sure, but there is a ton of mission and zone content that runs 35-50. I can't really speak for group content though.  I'll leave that to everyone but me.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

I meant for teaming.  As in a Task Force.  I actually know how to solo the game.  Joining someone PI radio missions and being 5 levels down as they bomb 50+4 is not great on a 40 either.  

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

I meant for teaming.

Standard contacts allow teams.

As in a Task Force.

A task force is story arc from a contact that offers no other story arcs or missions.  That's it.  Limiting oneself to only experiencing content if it has "Task Force" attached to the name is a pointless restriction, especially for someone who's complaining about a lack of content.  Team up, run the arcs.

• Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

7 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Standard contacts allow teams.

A task force is story arc from a contact that offers no other story arcs or missions.  That's it.  Limiting oneself to only experiencing content if it has "Task Force" attached to the name is a pointless restriction, especially for someone who's complaining about a lack of content.  Team up, run the arcs.

I recruit for a lot of TFs.  The lesser known or unpopular ones...it is not easy.

I have not tried to recruit for a no rewards story arc (no one but leader gets merits) with usually no badge.  Nor am I going to start.  

There's always AE!  *hikes a thumb at his own arcs*  Eh?  Eh? 😃

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

I recruit for a lot of TFs.

Just promise us that if you ever feel compelled to quit your own Strike/Task Force that you'll write us an entertaining story about it? K? 😉

.... I know, I know ... Twice in one week.  Just knocking on your coffin, it's all love my undead friend. Your PUG horror stories are highly entertaining.

🍻

• Haha 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

no rewards story arc (no one but leader gets merits)

collab.png.b65b4b29d96e63c107a585e3d816fccf.png

Setting up the conditions for everyone to receive reward merits when running a story arc is very simple.  Every player accepts the first mission of the arc solo, then joins the team.  When the leader's mission completes, the mission is also completed for all teammates.  When the arc is completed, it's completed for all teammates, everyone receives arc completion rewards.

<Mordin Solus> Not difficult! </Mordin Solus>

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

11 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have not tried to recruit for a no rewards story arc (no one but leader gets merits) with usually no badge.  Nor am I going to start.  

The most common missions teams are PI radios and nobody is getting arc rewards for that.  It's not something many people really care about.  Contact mission teams are less common, but people do run them.  Admittedly, almost never redside and just about literally never goldside.  But blueside you will see people run them.  Just not as often as radios.

For TFs, I don't get the problem.  There's a number you can run at max 40 and you get XP for them just fine if you are above that.  Nice thing about them is nobody can whine at you about passing the star to a 50.  You'll have the best luck with Numina probably since people run it for Task Force Commander.  Less so with Sutter, which is a shame.  I really like that TF.  Kal seems to get run a lot but probably because it's so quick.  Ice Mistral less so but has a nice last mission if you can get everyone to agree to a "kill through" instead of speeding to the bottom of the cavern.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would do all the Shadow Shard TFs if they would lower the cooldown for the Mission Transporter and Team Transporter to 5-10 minutes.  Traversing the Shadow Shard is annoying.  Doing it for a 20 mission TF is just silly and it's crazy that the live devs never fixed this.  But the teleport tools we have could fix this easily.  I guess I understand why they don't want Team Transporter to be too low because it will lose its value if you only need one person with it on a team.   But even still, traveling isn't content in most cases.   I'd even pay for a consumable use mission transporter with no cooldown.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Luminara said:

Setting up the conditions for everyone to receive reward merits when running a story arc is very simple.  Every player accepts the first mission of the arc solo, then joins the team.  When the leader's mission completes, the mission is also completed for all teammates.  When the arc is completed, it's completed for all teammates, everyone receives arc completion rewards.

Doesn't that require everyone to be doing the exact same mission at the same time?  As in they have to have the contact and haven't outleveled it?

3 hours ago, Luminara said:

collab.png.b65b4b29d96e63c107a585e3d816fccf.png

I've been on crawls with Cosmic Council for months and months at a time.  All it takes is getting up to grab a coffee between missions.  Missing the talk to "X" and you are one mission behind and the team is moving on.  It seems simple, but it quickly goes to not getting merits.

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

The most common missions teams are PI radios and nobody is getting arc rewards for that.  It's not something many people really care about.  Contact mission teams are less common, but people do run them.  Admittedly, almost never redside and just about literally never goldside.  But blueside you will see people run them.  Just not as often as radios.

For TFs, I don't get the problem.  There's a number you can run at max 40 and you get XP for them just fine if you are above that.  Nice thing about them is nobody can whine at you about passing the star to a 50.  You'll have the best luck with Numina probably since people run it for Task Force Commander.  Less so with Sutter, which is a shame.  I really like that TF.  Kal seems to get run a lot but probably because it's so quick.  Ice Mistral less so but has a nice last mission if you can get everyone to agree to a "kill through" instead of speeding to the bottom of the cavern.

Wow, you can keep running Numina for 10-11 runs? to get to 50.  Geez, thanks, I never realized,

Wow, you can keep running Numina for 10-11 runs? to get to 50.  Geez, thanks, I never realized,

I didn't say that but you're welcome anyway, buddy!

You say there's no content but this is only because apparently you've decided you want to run only task forces and then only ones that DON'T go up to 50.  So yeah, given those parameters, there's nothing for you to do.  

Can I have your stuff?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I didn't say that but you're welcome anyway, buddy!

You say there's no content but this is only because apparently you've decided you want to run only task forces and then only ones that DON'T go up to 50.  So yeah, given those parameters, there's nothing for you to do.  

Can I have your stuff?

You seriously did not read my original post where I addressed the problems relating to 40-50 TFs

1) Very few that are actually non 50.

1b) those that can be run at 50 tend to be run at 50, either 50+4 or speed.  (and I do not mean "let's do this Synapse as fast as we can.  I mean a 10 min ITF) 

1c) It is not super easy to join a 50+4 as a 40.  If you do, you are worthless.  Enjoy your time at the door.

2) Have you ever tried to recruit for a Shadow Shard TF when it is not the weekly?  Get back to me when you have.  Thats a chunk of available 40-50 you can mark unlikely.

3) Oh wait, that is EVERYTHING.  Level 45-50 TFs and Shadow Shard.  Hmmmm.

Since you will also not read this I suppose I can check back in tomorrow for more of you telling me I have not looked deep enough.  

You can have my stuff if you feel energetic enough to try to take it.  I am a hair puller. Well, and an eye gouger.  Oh, and a biter.

I will always take new content at any level and all alignments.  Happy to see Homecoming making missions and lore.

But so, help me God - - you give me three errand missions in a row, and I will rampage like a starfish through downtown New York City! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

You seriously did not read my original post

I seriously did.  I just think you're being ridiculous about mission teams.   Nobody gives a shit about the end of arc rewards.   I've been on plenty of mission teams in that level range.   Most common ones are MJ and Tina Mac in Peregrine but you could run any of them there or in RWZ and probably fill a team easy.  People will come and go.  They won't be with you the entire arc, most likely.   It'll basically be just like your soloing binges, just with people around you.  You'll be 50 in no time just doing that with 2xp on.

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I seriously did.  I just think you're being ridiculous about mission teams.   Nobody gives a shit about the end of arc rewards.   I've been on plenty of mission teams in that level range.   Most common ones are MJ and Tina Mac in Peregrine but you could run any of them there or in RWZ and probably fill a team easy.  People will come and go.  They won't be with you the entire arc, most likely.   It'll basically be just like your soloing binges, just with people around you.  You'll be 50 in no time just doing that with 2xp on.

Task Forces are way easier to recruit for.  And i already do not like that.  And as you pointed out, people will not stay.  Filling a bucket with a hole in the bottom is not my thing.  You enjoy that.

On 5/25/2023 at 5:13 PM, Snarky said:

I suggest giving a FAT experience reward above and beyond

I would rather see these TFs broken up into much more digestible sections, (though additional rewards would also be nice).  That being said, are you solely focused on TFs/SFs for leveling, rather than regular story arcs?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2023 at 2:13 PM, Snarky said:

I have heard it said it is roughly the same time to get 1-40 as it is 40-50.  

That might be the design intent or how the absolute math works out, but I've never personally known it to be the case in practice. I've got certain alts that have been sitting at 30-something for a year at this point, but once I have a 4 in that tens column, 50 is in sight and I'm making a mad dash for it. I can run 40+ content just as well at 50 as I can at 41, ya know?

I actually save charges of the Experienced power for that final push; I move it into my tray once I'm (number of charges I have) levels away from 50 and activate it as soon as the fifth bar in each level is filled so that the second half goes by faster -- it's like fast-forwarding Christmas Eve so morning comes sooner.

• Thumbs Up 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

47 minutes ago, biostem said:

I would rather see these TFs broken up into much more digestible sections, (though additional rewards would also be nice).  That being said, are you solely focused on TFs/SFs for leveling, rather than regular story arcs?

Well, my latest obsession has been taking an AT powersets all the way through the game in near perfect level order of TF SF and Trials.   BUt there is that gap at the end.  Since I am “learning” the powers and synergy getting on ITFs and such that are 50+4 kill alls when I am effectively 49 is not helping me understand anything.  Levelling sure.  But I can farm myself way faster if I just wanted 50s

Edited by Snarky