The "I didn't know that Movie was based on a Graphic Novel" thread.

I'm not sure how many of these we'll have on the list, but here goes:

Road to Perdition

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257044/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The final film lensed by the late, great Conrad L. Hall, directed by Sam Mendes, and featuring a cast that should inspire envy in the heart of any casting director worth their salt.

If you've not seen it, do yourself the favor.  I did not know until last year that this one was based on a graphic novel when I picked up a copy that included a bunch of extra materials. So, basically clueless for 20 years on this one. 🤣

There is a shot at the end of the film that involves a steadi-cam operator sitting on the end of a crane, looking down into a hallway. As the camera pedestals down and trucks backwards, the operator steps off the crane and continues walking backwards in front of the actor, opening up space for them to enter a doorway and then following them into the room, following the action, and finally moving backwards again let them exit on the z axis and landing on a mirror mounted to a bathroom door that reveals what took place off camera. Single shot, no cuts.  Early in the shot the ceiling is not visible, during the pedestal move there were grips replacing the ceiling pieces that were removed to make way for the crane so that when the camera does show the ceiling, it is there as it should be. Breathtaking. The whole film is just visually breathtaking.

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I'll try my hand at this one -

"All You Need Is Kill" was a superb novel, then graphic novel/manga adaptation. 

Plot Synopsis:

The story is told from the perspective of Keiji Kiriya, a new recruit in the United Defense Force. Despite equipping its soldiers with powered exoskeletons, the UDF is losing its fight against the mysterious "Mimics" (ギタイ, gitai), extraterrestrials which have laid siege to Earth. Keiji is seemingly killed on his first sortie after killing an unusual-looking Mimic but, through some inexplicable phenomenon, he wakes and finds that he has returned to the day before the battle. As this process continues, he finds himself caught in a time loop as his death and resurrection repeat time and time again.

Then Hollywood adapted in to a movie with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt that was pretty entertaining. 

"Edge of Tomorrow" 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Huh. Didn't know either of those were based on graphic novels. Enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow; didn't see Old, but I sort of gave up on MNS after Signs.

Keep 'em coming gang; looks like there are more of these than I thought!

🍻

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.