Problem With Custom Group Selection

So, made a custom group composed of renamed pre-existing mobs.  All levels are correct and line up.  I can choose to populate the entire map with them, I can choose to set them as the crowd guarding a Rescue, but... I cannot select any of them for a Defeat A Boss detail.  Like, the group doesn't even show up in the Custom tab here and only here when I'm trying to select one of them for the Boss to defeat.  I've saved the group, logged out, logged back in, did the same and let hours pass before I logged back in too.

Anyone got any idea what's going on there?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

18 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

So, made a custom group composed of renamed pre-existing mobs.  All levels are correct and line up.  I can choose to populate the entire map with them, I can choose to set them as the crowd guarding a Rescue, but... I cannot select any of them for a Defeat A Boss detail.  Like, the group doesn't even show up in the Custom tab here and only here when I'm trying to select one of them for the Boss to defeat.  I've saved the group, logged out, logged back in, did the same and let hours pass before I logged back in too.

Anyone got any idea what's going on there?

Curious!

I'd not tried that before.  So, I replicated what you did and for me at least the new mob didn't even appear as a choice either.  So, looks like we're out of luck.  Or you're going to have to add a Custom to that mob.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

giphy-4182395993.gif.076212dd0a051548c228239617c2ae1c.gif

Sigh, OK.  Let's move on to a related issue: the actual computer files for custom enemy groups and missions.

I have a number of such files (custom enemy groups, previously written missions etc.) that I had saved from Live.  So I put them once into my install of HC, and seem to recall I was able to access some of them, but then I had to re-install HC and moved them again into the new install and don't seem to see any of them (or much fewer of them) now. 

They're currently sitting inside this path: Local disk - Game Files - Homecoming (sen below), along with all the usual files like "accounts, bin, cache, architect, etc.  But the game clearly isn't recognizing/finding them or something, when I open up say My Local Missions, I don't see them. 

I would guess they need to be put into the right files in there somewhere, like the previously-mentioned architect folder itself?  Anyone know which file exactly?

733103315_AEQ.jpg.e213fddeb94d38826aa035e452895e62.jpg

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I answered this question awhile ago on discord, here's a copypaste.

If the group consists only of standard enemies you've renamed, it won't be visible if you're trying to set it as like a boss or rescue, anything where you have to select an individual actor once you've chosen the group. It should still be visible for things that only want a defined group , such as ambushes or "surrounding enemy group" etc. What you'd have to do to set up, say, a boss encounter, is find the original enemy type in the standard list, set it as the boss with a custom name, and then set your custom group as the minions. That's what I'm assuming's happened from what you're saying.

Basically, the AE has a very rigid stance on custom enemies and standard enemies. It won't "see" standard enemies in custom groups for the purposes of individual critter selections, and so if there's nothing but standard enemies in a group, it just never shows the group. Why does it do this? Our feeble science has no answer.

And yes, the file structure's just changed. architect/critters and architect/villaingroups is what you want.

Edited by Defeat All Snakes
  • Thanks 1
UPS1xkf.png

8 hours ago, Defeat All Snakes said:

I answered this question awhile ago on discord, here's a copypaste.

Genius, no wonder I didn't think of it, thanks!

18 hours ago, Defeat All Snakes said:

What you'd have to do to set up, say, a boss encounter, is find the original enemy type in the standard list, set it as the boss with a custom name, and then set your custom group as the minions.

And recolor the standard boss from the standard mob and give it a custom description to match the description in your custom mob.

A nuisance... but know this problem well. 

There are also a few mobs that only show up when selecting bosses, like generic villains, and W.I.S.D.O.M.

• Like 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc