Does the drama ever make you want to take a break?

MHertz

This is my break.  If somebody starts drama with me, I just block them and move on.  Usually, I never see them again anyway.

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

• Game Master
10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Since CoX is all but immune to griefing and ganking, and you can turn off the General chat, and drop out of any team with drama queens etc. — not really a problem.

I do miss the era of decent PUGs where five or six strangers spent as much time yacking, BSing and mildly hassling each other while (gasp!) actually playing for fun, and broke up for the night with a bit of shared regret. I think I've had that experience once on HC. Hey, none of you are real, but some of you are fun to share a barstool with.

Screw the complainers.

I have that a lot. I was in a MK a couple of days ago and we were having fun and being silly and chatting. It's hard sometimes as you are trying to keep up with the rest of the team and contribute so chatting tends to be limited

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

I have that a lot. I was in a MK a couple of days ago and we were having fun and being silly and chatting. It's hard sometimes as you are trying to keep up with the rest of the team and contribute so chatting tends to be limited

This game is what taught me to chat on the fly.  It doesn't work for every game, but I'm pretty good at it here.

...At least until I get into typing a small paragraph of dialogue and faceplant because I didn't want to click an attack...  😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

I've been playing CoH on and off constantly for this exact reason. I play on Everlasting, and while /ignore is very useful, sometimes hanging out in Pocket D or RPing or whatever, some drama-stirrers will just be there and you can't avoid the people you're interacting with crossing paths with them, outside of just suggesting they avoid them or move location. Doesn't always work though. It's certainly not as bad as some other communities, but it can be slightly annoying at times.

11 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

Pretty much the main reason one of the first things I do an any new character is to kill General chat.

This.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

A leader of foul-mouthed mercenaries who love penguins and can't stop talking about religion and politics?

I recently started learning German.  When I listen to how Germans say "Pinguin" I almost laugh every time.  German has a few rough sounds.  It can also sound hilarious.

11 hours ago, rolandgrey said:

This game is what taught me to chat on the fly.  It doesn't work for every game, but I'm pretty good at it here.

It's a useful skill. 🙂

11 hours ago, rolandgrey said:

...At least until I get into typing a small paragraph of dialogue and faceplant because I didn't want to click an attack...  😛

Ah, yes, the infamous "And then my dog wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddddd"

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Ah, yes, the infamous "And then my dog wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddddd"

Or, sometimes in my case "So I had my cat12314125rgh!"

On 6/2/2023 at 11:39 AM, MHertz said:

Have you ever had one of those moments where you say, "No amount of entertainment is worth the human drama going on here" and want to take a healthy break?

Yes, in Everquest and World of Warcraft.  The guild drama in those games was on another level.

CoH is where I came to get away from that stuff.  Team chat is generally cordial, and general chat is easy to ignore if I don't like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:02 PM, Mjolnerd said:

Pretty much the main reason one of the first things I do an any new character is to kill General chat.

👆👆  This.

Life is so much better without general chat, though I don't kill it, per se, I just relegate it to a mostly-ignored tab.  On those extremely rare occasions when I learn through other channels that something important was just mentioned, I can just click on the tab to see the replay.

In regards PUGs, I don't see the problem like I used to in the OG, and most certainly nothing like I experienced with PUGs during my time in WoW.  If anything, the PUGs I travel with are mostly silent or say a polite "ty" when someone whips out a team transport.  For some reason it takes a lot to break the ice these days.

9 minutes ago, Techwright said:

For some reason it takes a lot to break the ice these days.

No talk. Only zerg.

• Haha 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

• Game Master

I think people are trying their best to contribute so are watching the action and spamming buttons. If it's a support character they may be looking for the best time to spam a buff, or a hold or something. Unless I'm on voice chat I worry sometimes when someone is spending more time chatting than attacking. A lot of teams I'm on tend to be on the fast side and outside of a thank you for a gratz or TP or a call for a rez or a wakie most people tend to be too busy for lots of chat. The occasional comment happens like "I hate this map" or suggestions for tactics, or pointing out we all died because the team split, but outside of that most people are just busy 🙂 

As for drama, I've seen it happen. I was on a farm where the leader had very specific ideas on how to progress, and it was way outside the normal sitters and hitters dynamic and insisted everyone, including the level 1 alts took part in the fights. Then proceeded to call everyone in the team all kinds of awful names because we either attacked too soon, didn't have our crystal balls on auto so couldn't read his mind, and team wiped. It wasn't even that good a farm. I blocked him and quit. Several team members followed suit and messaged me with uncomplimentary things about the farmer and also blocked him. Sometimes bad behaviour has consequences.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:51 AM, GM Crumpet said:

I found MMOs much less chatty since the proliferation of voice (discord etc).  It isn't really matter even if they are on audio as when people get used to it they get out of the typechat habit

10 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

No talk. Only zerg.

image.png.11a0302b274dd2eb674d9b36b64dae71.png😉

As I think back over the years, it occurs to me that the best PUGs I've been on have probably been those where two of the team members are introduced as parent and child, with the parent usually asking for the help and indulgence of other team members.  Everyone straightens up, show courtesy (whether they feel like it or not) because of the child present, and provides encouragement and guidance.  It usually spills over into a bit of fun in the conversation.  I could wish for PUGs to be like that regardless of whether a kid was announced or not.  It might just add people to my go-to friends roster.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Unless I'm on voice chat I worry sometimes when someone is spending more time chatting than attacking.

You have to have hero banter! The trick is to fight a couple of groups first and see how it goes before opening up the floodgates to banter. Sometimes there isn’t time, but in many cases there is.

• Thumbs Up 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

• Game Master
4 hours ago, Techwright said:

image.png.11a0302b274dd2eb674d9b36b64dae71.png😉

As I think back over the years, it occurs to me that the best PUGs I've been on have probably been those where two of the team members are introduced as parent and child, with the parent usually asking for the help and indulgence of other team members.  Everyone straightens up, show courtesy (whether they feel like it or not) because of the child present, and provides encouragement and guidance.  It usually spills over into a bit of fun in the conversation.  I could wish for PUGs to be like that regardless of whether a kid was announced or not.  It might just add people to my go-to friends roster.

I remember that on live, but due to certain changes in US legislation we have to have a hard 13 minimum age limit unless we really want to get into trouble.

• Thumbs Up 1

The General Channel lives for each new toon of mine until it gives me reason to kill it; then I never miss it. 

Speaking of chatting during combat, I will forego a button click to make a good joke, yeah.  It has bitten me back once or twice, but it was worth it - it was a good joke!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I usually don't pay much attention to the chat unless there is something like looking for a TF that I need for the badge. Being a solo player means less drama to deal with. Whenever the time for a break does come up, I usually take them. 

"For the Monte Clan!"

For me, in-game channel drama is the easiest to deal with. Either drop channels, or put people on ignore. One and done. Easy. I just use the tools already in place. I only report things that are egregious.

However, for me the Discord and Beta dramas were far worse. As an example, just last night I spoke up for the first time in months in the mastermind channel, and immediately the person I commonly but heads with just had to be passive aggressive. The odd thing is I agree with them on a number of things. They do know their game knowledge. Where we tend to disagree is I go by live and let live, and try to help people who play what they want to play, to the maximum they are able to. The person I disagree with, tends to think if you don't play the meta, then you are trash. As an example they speak against Masterminds who use secondary with healing, and considers it a crutch. And if you have a different opinion, they are quite vocal about it. Insultingly so. And I am dubious if it's worth my time to try and help people, due to the spam of "user blocked" lines in the discord channel.

My one and only experience in the beta was quite unpleasant. I won't go over details or bring up arguments long buried, suffice to say it was enough that I will never participate in another one again. I only will say that it wasn't the specifics of the disagreement itself, but the manner in which that disagreement took place. It was disrespectful, heated, got personal a few times, and not everyone's input was equally valued.

But I do want to add that I doubt very much that has been everyone's experience. But for me I am currently leery about participating in discord discussions and I most certainly will not be participating in any beta ever again.

• Like 2