How to avoid dying 90% of the time

Diantane

On 6/5/2023 at 8:37 AM, Diantane said:

4) Don't just fight until you die. You can't do any DPS if you are dead, but will do a lot more if you are still alive.

This is my favorite.

To avoid dying 90% of the time, simply "don't die".

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

giphy.gif

not-like-this-stare.gif

GrotesqueBitterBrahmanbull-size_restrict

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:00 AM, ZemX said:

Moving doesn't really prevent or even reduce the chance of an enemy targeting you.

Yeah, back in my WoW dungeon-running days, it was always obvious when the tank was played by somebody who was mostly a PvPer. They'd forget that the things that confound a human opponent don't work on the AI opponent. They'd either be dragging the boss all over the room (infuriating the melee DPS players who now had to chase the boss between every attack) or else running in circles around the boss, making the boss spin (again, making life harder for DPS players, who wanted to attack the boss from behind, because attacks from the rear were more successful for mechanical reasons - you can't block attacks from behind).

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

Make a Tank 🙂

And then joust with them.:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I'm almost there! I die 88% of the time.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

6 hours ago, Gobbledigook said:

Join a pug and when shit hits the fan quit! I think @Snarky  has mastered it ::)

Oh, when i see the iceberg I go ahead and paddle away on my rubber boat into the cold night alone.  You can just tell some ships are doomed.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:49 AM, MoonSheep said:

if you’re not dying, you’re not living

Needs more rhyme.  How about - If you're not dying, you're not trying.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:43 AM, Techwright said:

"How to avoid dying 90% of the time"

Why does no one ever give out the secret for not dying the other 10% of the time?  That's where the real money is.

Tip:  keep health above 0.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

• 2 weeks later

Unless I get lagged to death, something that admittedly happens way more in LOTRO than here, I just take it in stride and use it as a learning experience. Most of my tanks and brutes have maxed out their debt badges. Also, in my opinion, it’s easier to get the Freedom Phalanx Badge the back door villain way and that requires you to die quite a bit. 

Jimpy

It’s always darkest before the doom.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/5/2023 at 9:43 AM, Techwright said:

"How to avoid dying 90% of the time"

Why does no one ever give out the secret for not dying the other 10% of the time?  That's where the real money is.

Here ya go!

It's simple.

BE A TANK!

See! 

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

One thing is, until you know your limits, you don’t know what you can really do. And you won’t understand your limits until you surpass them. That means you have to die to know how far you can push when living.

On 6/5/2023 at 5:37 AM, Diantane said:

I've been playing computer games since the Apple II was released in 1977. So I have a lot of experience playing RPG games (over 45 years - currently 68). I've practiced not dying in every game I've played.

In COH there are several ways:

1) if you are a ranged fighter or support, distance is your friend. If a foe tries to get within melee range of you, simply back away from them or move to a different part of the room. Hovering is better if there is room above you. Plus hover adds to your defense.

2) If you are a melee fighter, keep an eye on your health. If it gets below 50% and you don't have a heal or resprite, move away from the area to rest.

3) If most of the team dies and the rest of the foes are after you, go into an elevator or out the exit. Wait a second and then you can come back in as they will be running back to their spawn point.

4) Don't just fight until you die. You can't do any DPS if you are dead, but will do a lot more if you are still alive.

5) In combat, I rarely stay in one place. I constantly move so the enemy can't get a fix on me.

6) Buy resprites from the nurse for those "Oh crap" moments. When you take them in that emergency, leave the area and fully rest before beginning again

But if you still die after solving those 90%, you still with have 100% of some cause of death.  Within that is a 90% of deaths.  So, have you really fixed something or are you just kicking the bucket down the road?

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!