Finally have a tanker concept. SD/BS. I need newbie input

SmalltalkJava

I finally can up with a concept for a tanker.  It is an angelic hero.  So he will use Shield Defense and Broad Sword.    Does anyone have a leveling build for when I should select the skills?  I’ve never played a tanker before.  For leveling I will probably do DFB and DIB and grouping outside also.  I want to learn to tank.  I know you need to turn mobs away from your team mates so they don’t get aoe’d.  I have so many questions that I can’t even think of them.  The biggest thing I want to know is when I should get the skills as I level.  I will probably pick up mystic flight for a travel power as it is one skill and grants flight and teleport, so it’s a two for one skill

Here's a build through level 25.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 26 Magic Tanker

Primary Power Set: Shield Defense

Secondary Power Set: Broad Sword

Power Pool: Sorcery

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Deflection -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(5), EndRdx(13)

Level 1: Hack -- Acc(A), Dmg(3), Dmg(3), RechRdx(9), EndRdx(11), EndRdx(15)

Level 2: Battle Agility -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(5), EndRdx(13)

Level 4: Slice -- Acc(A), Dmg(7), Dmg(7), RechRdx(11), EndRdx(15)

Level 6: Active Defense -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(9)

Level 8: Boxing -- Acc(A)

Level 10: Against All Odds -- EndRdx(A)

Level 12: True Grit -- Heal(A), ResDam(17), ResDam(21)

Level 14: Mystic Flight -- EndRdx(A)

Level 16: Parry -- Acc(A), EndRdx(17)

Level 18: Combat Jumping -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(19)

Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(21)

Level 22: Tough -- ResDam(A), EndRdx(23)

Level 24: Weave -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(25), EndRdx(25)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Gauntlet

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Heal(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod(A), EndMod(19), EndMod(23)

------------

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

End redux in active defense is wrong. That's a clicky, not a toggle. It burns 10.4 end every 120 seconds IF you have it perma. That build doesn't, it has it every 200 seconds. So that's about 0.05 EPS without slotting end redux. That's less than combat jumping, by the way (0.07).

You're a tank. You want to not get mezzed. Three slots, all recharge. You can respec it down to 2 slots when you hit 50 and have better IOs/otherwise have enough +rech it is perma... but note that it is also def debuff resist, which mids *claims* is boosted by def slotting. You might say, "but it doesn't take def!" which you're right... unless they are a def/rech/tohit hammieO.

End redux in active defense is wrong. That's a clicky, not a toggle. It burns 10.4 end every 120 seconds IF you have it perma. That build doesn't, it has it every 200 seconds. So that's about 0.05 EPS without slotting end redux. That's less than combat jumping, by the way (0.07).

You're a tank. You want to not get mezzed. Three slots, all recharge. You can respec it down to 2 slots when you hit 50 and have better IOs/otherwise have enough +rech it is perma... but note that it is also def debuff resist, which mids *claims* is boosted by def slotting. You might say, "but it doesn't take def!" which you're right... unless they are a def/rech/tohit hammieO.

Id love to see some confirmed data on the use of HOs, slipped into powers that provide debuff resistance, to increase that debuff resistance.

-sigh-  I need to play around on Justin...

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Id love to see some confirmed data on the use of HOs, slipped into powers that provide debuff resistance, to increase that debuff resistance.

I had that slotted, back on live. I don't remember if I confirmed with the combat stats window if that actually added defense debuff resistance as it was years ago, but it should be easy to test. Since that is a number that mids reports in view totals I would assume it is right.

I had that slotted, back on live. I don't remember if I confirmed with the combat stats window if that actually added defense debuff resistance as it was years ago, but it should be easy to test. Since that is a number that mids reports in view totals I would assume it is right.

Yes, it DID work that way on Live, I had a BS/Shield scrapper to prove it.  I well remember that... now with that said I don't know if it still works that way but it did back in the day.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler