Speed Task Forces

Corruption

19 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

That is the challenge. Getting the members on the team to work together. That was the main focus of CoH. Coming together and working as a team.

the things people complain about.... 

If you really want to, you can still try to get everyone to click at the same time.   There's nothing stopping you from still having your challenge.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

5 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

the things people complain about.... 

If you really want to, you can still try to get everyone to click at the same time.   There's nothing stopping you from still having your challenge.

Oh I know. It's just people posting these speed runs like they are some big accomplishment, when they are not. 

Sure you can do them much easier now but saying "OMG look how good I am." is not the same big deal as it use to be. 

sarcasm (So you young whippersnappers git off my lawn.)

48 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Oh I know. It's just people posting these speed runs like they are some big accomplishment, when they are not. 

Sure you can do them much easier now but saying "OMG look how good I am." is not the same big deal as it use to be. 

sarcasm (So you young whippersnappers git off my lawn.)

Yeah... threads like this can be looked at that way.  Just an ego stroking ...some deserved, some not. 

However, do keep in mind, that in many people's eyes, min/maxing to optimize a build toward accomplish a goal as quickly and efficiently as possible *IS* the game.  So posting their accomplishments in a place where like minded people will see and share in it is an important part of the enjoyment those players derive from this game.  It is no different then a costume contest/thread for costume minded players.

But I hear you.  It is certainly easier to speed run and solo than it once was.  I like it.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Personally, I avoid speed runs like the plague and have zero (maybe less than zero) interest in them, but I get that there's an appeal to achieving "best times." 

Me?  I like to move through TFs milking every last ounce of xp, every thread, every recipe, and every other drop (including infl).  I also hate to rush past (for example) toxics when I need that badge.  WHY wouldn't you kill the toxics/monkeys/fake nems/whatever? I don't get it.  But hey, speedsters love it, and that's all good.  I love that speedsters are clear about their goal so that we don't "accidentally" join a speed run. 

• Haha 2

It's an inevitable rule of speedrunning there has to be someone posting to say current records are no big deal.

Perhaps they're right: the real achievement would be to see one such naysayer beat any of the posted times.

Can't say I've ever seen *that* happen!

• Like 4

On 7/7/2019 at 7:27 AM, Murcielago said:
On 7/6/2019 at 11:11 PM, The Brown God Below said:

Long have I waited beneath the surface,

The pitter patter of soft-soled sneakers on cold concrete above...

Long have I listened through the pipes,

The squabbles of mortals unfit to be flushed...

I have listened long enough. My time has come.

On the 7th day, the Brown Lord said... let those without sin flush the first turd.

ABANDONED SEWER TRIAL (ENDGAME CONTENT)

2 minutes??? How??????

There was a group that ran it not too far of this (maybe 4:00) a year or two back, and I think this is the same group under different names. There are some interesting ways you can knock time off of that trial that you might not think about. Interestingly, there's a hard limit to this trial (on a "legit' run) of something like 1:50 - 2:00 if I remember right from Live, so these folks are pulling up on the limit. It'd be cool to see it get hit.

---

Cool to run into this thread here on the public servers. Aside from the OP / speed group from Champion server, it looks like a lot of the Resurgence speeders moved over here after the public servers popped up. While I'd agree with some of the posters earlier that at this point in the game's life the whole speed thing doesn't have the same value it did seven years ago, it's still really cool to see people invested in this and pushing the limit *14.5* years on from the game's launch. For newer players, players just pushing up into the high level or min/max style of playing, or players that are still pretty serious CoH players, I think this is still a useful tool and some fun motivation. It'll be cool to see what folks come up with as new updates and content come out.

Thanks for kicking off the thread!

Edited by Avocado
  • Like 1

Hi. Sorry if this has been answered before but if I attempt to solo task forces and have my difficulty set to end bosses instead of AVs does that setting still work? I tried to solo synapse but got stuck killing the clockwork King and couldn't damage him enough. Thanks! 

TFs will always keep AVs as AVs regardless of your reputation settings.

If you're struggling to outpace AV regen, powers like Envenomed Dagger (which you can buy at the P2W store) can give you a boost. Daggers do high -regen, so if you apply it consistently you will neuter the regen of most AVs of your level.

Edited by nihilii

Solo Recluse SF. It took me 5 tries for the last mission until I could figure out a tactic to kill off each hero without getting swarmed. It's a terrible time, but it was done solo with a Crab Spider build.

Time: 3:54:10

UO0004.jpg

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 3:52 AM, Corruption said:

I decided I would start this thread for people to post their best speed task force times. Below is a list of recorded times so far, I will update this post with the latest times, along with the global/forum name of the person who submitted the time. Please don't hesitate to PM me if I miss a post.

Hero Side

The Return of the Reichsman [Dr. Kahn]: 13:01 (@Dark Bladed)

Ms. Liberty Task Force: 16:20 (@Dan Petro)

The Saga of Lanaru [Faathim the Kind]: 47:48 (@Dark Bladed)

The Saga of Faathim [Justin Augustine]: 41:24 (@macskull)

The Legend of Ruladak [sara Moore]:  45:07 (@Tortoise)

Explorers & Exploiters [Dr. Quaterfield]: 1:16:30 (@macskull)

The Sky Is Falling [Adm. Sutter]:

Soul of the Woodsman [Numina]: 24:51 (@Veelectric Boogaloo)

Following Countess Crey [Manticore]:

A Tangled Plot [Katie Hannon]:

The Mech Man Cometh [Ernesto Hess]:

Citadel's Children [Citadel]: 35:34 (@Vel Mori)

The Kheldian War [Moonfire]:

A Clamor for the People [Penelope Yin]: 7:57 (@Dark Bladed)

The Fall of the Clockwork King [synapse]: 37:02 (@Dark Bladed)

Dam Hero [Positron Pt. 2]: 11:44 (@Dark Bladed)

The Rule of Three [Positron Pt. 1]: 9:01 (@Dark Bladed)

Prisoners of Eden [Woodsman]: 5:38 (@Dark Bladed)

Abandoned Sewer Trial [Mairenn MacGregor]: 2:44 (@The Brown God Below)

Terror Volta 3 [Maj. Richard Flagg]:

Terror Volta 2 [Cpt. James Harlan]:

Terror Volta 1 [Jane Hallaway]:

Cavern of Transcendence [Karsis]: 2:29 (@Dark Bladed)

Villain Side

Lord Recluse Strike Force:  13:18 (@Fiery Enforcer)

Thus Spoke the Reichsman [barracuda]:

The Fire & the Flames [Mortimer Kal]: 9:40 (@Dark Bladed)

The Crystal of Serafina [ice Mistral]: 20:17 (@Fiery Enforcer)

The Temple of the Waters [sF Op. Renault]: 28:58 (@Veelectric Boogaloo)

Pirates of the Sky [silver Mantis]: 24:29:45 (@Charlie)

The Beast Beneath the Mountain [Virgil Tarikoss]:

Tree of Thorns 3 [Ractespriel]: 10:07 (@Veelectric Boogaloo)

Tree of Thorns 2 [Trepsarciel]:

Tree of Thorns 1 [sparcetriel]:

Co-Op

Alpha Strike [Apex]: 7:53 (@Dark Bladed)

The Praetorian Offensive [Tin Mage Mk. II]: 7:58 (@Dan Petro)

The Lady Grey Task Force: 15:11 (@Fiery Enforcer)

Time's Arrow [imperious]: 8:57(@Dan Petro)

Market Crash [Ada Wellington]: 12:00 (@Dark Bladed)

y4mNwc7OpcpGxTEJcW4Ef852x1lZi5hCFFp0aEbWCJaLcaae0v-vx8dHdxtbRye8sZwgHOV9xmZsGRsrdzREqFrorJs-S7fa9h5aFDoecRp82cpmONx0tyC5EmmiQgxiwoVicNsW26Md7Hs0Xj_2t1JfsRo28e7fnm4AnWGhvDAL7jKpgmNQR4dlFRp7AnCaAdyurmPFk96eOHlzW2fLojF4g?width=1920&height=1200&cropmode=none

Penelope Yin, 7:57? How is that even possible?

8 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Penelope Yin, 7:57? How is that even possible?

Made this real fast, hopefully it'll explain better than if I typed everything out. It gives the general idea of how I did it. If you have any questions, just let me know, and I'll try my best to answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Dark Bladed said:

Made this real fast, hopefully it'll explain better than if I typed everything out. It gives the general idea of how I did it. If you have any questions, just let me know, and I'll try my best to answer.

Oh I see, so it's because of Super Speed!

Also, you are a clicker...ewwww!

On 6/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

Think the key there is "trio". I had synapse down solo on live to about 1:20 no Babs. Haven't gotten it back down to that, but then again i've only run it once since invader is so much easier than TF commander now and merits aren't at such a premium. If you have two pimped out people with it memorized dragging a third I could see 30-45.

Yeah, I solo'd all the tfc tfs with my brute, (making use of temp pets for the avs when needed), and they go so much faster solo. So much faster! I even save the 5 to 20 minutes it takes to form them, so now I look at the lfg channel and I think to myself - why do you "need" 3 more? Quit wasting time and go with what you have. But, my thinking and playstyle isn't like everyone elses. 

I was on the LRSF tf that went 10:13. There were a couple of really smooth moments, but there was also a player DC who came back, zone in as the cut scene was ending. Didn't miss a beat, but I suspect we could trim 5-6 seconds from somewhere. Just not sure where. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Yeah, I solo'd all the tfc tfs with my brute, (making use of temp pets for the avs when needed), and they go so much faster solo. So much faster! I even save the 5 to 20 minutes it takes to form them, so now I look at the lfg channel and I think to myself - why do you "need" 3 more? Quit wasting time and go with what you have. But, my thinking and playstyle isn't like everyone elses. 

I was on the LRSF tf that went 10:13. There were a couple of really smooth moments, but there was also a player DC who came back, zone in as the cut scene was ending. Didn't miss a beat, but I suspect we could trim 5-6 seconds from somewhere. Just not sure where. 

Some people like the safety of numbers.  I've had people quit an Apex/Tin Mage because we only had six people.  I could only find five others, so I asked my team if we should go with six.  We could have easily done it IMO, as everyone was at least +1.  A Tanker said, "No, it's too hard," then immediately quit.  The rest quickly followed.  I've had multiple people grumble over the past few months about doing a Rikti mothership raid with less than five full teams, yet I've done a MSR with only six people and two friends of mine have duoed it.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

More people should try small team and solo runs. Or at least be less rigid with team requirements. 

Someone forming an ITF was looking for a Tank in one instance. I asked to join with my Scrapper instead and was denied, so I just ended up doing a solo run in less time instead. 

Edited by Corruption
  • Like 1