Who is the most powerful hero and villian in the game

savair

30 minutes ago, savair said:

how so and can you actually fight lord recluse or the statesman

The "how so" is a spoiler for new players, as it has ramifications throughout the game. So...SPOILER:

Spoiler

Both Statesman and Lord Recluse received their powers from a source called "The Well".  This is both a Fountain of Youth-type hidden well on Earth and a sentient, multi-dimensional, cosmic essence that uses the Earth well as an avatar of sorts.  The Well (cosmic) is sort of like The Force in Star Wars.  It has no real morality, and instead is drawn by interest to the use of power. It can grant phenomenal power and do so immediately, but the bestowal of such power is often seen as a curse, as the Well takes a powerful interest in those so bestowed, constantly desiring displays of power.  In essence, those gifted (referred to as "Incarnates") often feel like puppets and long to break free.  The Mendors of Orobourous will reveal more once you reach level 50.

Players do get to face Lord Recluse in a variety of cases depending on one's alignment.  See the Homecoming wiki link here for more.

Facing Statesman is more complicated, as his story has unfolded differently than other characters.  The complication arises because the game presents somewhat of a compression of different times and events.  The progress of a player's character is meant to show progression through time.  Statesman is largely not present, and playing out story material especially the 7-episode Signature Story Arc (spoilers) will help to show why he's not easily available.

All that said, there are more powerful beings in the game.  These require large groups of players to band together to fight them, though I suppose some players with incredibly crafted characters might try to solo or duo these.  Their ranks include such characters as Mot and Rularuu.

• Like 1

I had thought players just fought the lesser beings under Rularuu, but I haven't done the Shard TFs since Live. Rularuu and Hamidon are on the right. CoH_Size_Chart.jpg

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

15 hours ago, savair said:

they fight each other

Although both considered Villains, Eochai of the Fir Bolg and Jack in Irons of the Red Caps get into a regular throwdown during the Croatoa War Event. It takes place in the Grim Vale in northern Croatoa. Easy way to get the badges for defeating them.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

15 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Local man. Not only the most famous, but ways saves the day.

Local Man was a player during Retail. Always wondered if they were lurking around Homecoming.

On Topic:

Bella V. Arc Spoilers Within:

Technically, Tyrant wipes the floor with Recluse and his whole crew of cronies when you play through his "personal story" mission at the end this mission arc, and he's scared enough of Praetorian Hamidon to try making a deal rather than fighting it. P-Hami never shows up anywhere in game though.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

Hide contents

Technically, Tyrant wipes the floor with Recluse and his whole crew of cronies when you play through his "personal story" mission at the end this mission arc, and he's scared enough of Praetorian Hamidon to try making a deal rather than fighting it. P-Hami never shows up anywhere in game though.

Um, ackshually...

puts on nerd glasses...

Number Six mission spoilers ahead: 

Spoiler

You do get to meet Hamidon towards the end of Number Six's arc in the RWZ. It's not really him, but more like a projection or a hologram. He specifically introduces himself with "I am the Hamidon. I have taken this form to interact with you." Then he proceeds to explain that humanity is corrupt, he's correcting the problem, and you can either join him or die. 

As for the question, the most powerful hero and/or villain is supposed to be you, the player. The original developers were kind of building up to that point, gradually making your character more and more powerful and having it to where you were supposed to the best. 

Spoiler alert for endgame content you might want to play yourself. All the stuff you as the player do.

Spoiler

Your character is the one who halts the 2nd Rikti invasion. Your character wipes the floor with the Freedom Phalanx in the Lord Recluse Strike Force. Your character beats up Lord Recluse and his cronies in the Ms. Liberty Task Force. Your character smacks down the Praetorian invasion in all of the incarnate trials. Your hero rushes in to save Statesman during Maria Jenkins' arc. Your character successfully staves off global annihilation at the end of the villain patrons' arcs. And finally, before Sunset, your character was meant to fight off the Battalion and stop them from conquering Earth.

But if you want the standard answer of NPCs, the strongest hero is most likely either Positron or Ms. Liberty at this point. The most powerful villain is undoubtedly Lord Recluse. They never meet or fight each other directly in-game, though, so you'd have to use Mission Architect to set up that dream scenario.

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Not Hero One?  Admittedly, he's not been himself of late, but he's said to rival Statesman in power.

He doesn't have Excalibur anymore, and I doubt Ms. Liberty would be willing to give it back considering the circumstances, so while he's super powerful, I wouldn't call him the most powerful, considering his circumstances and what's happened to him.

• Like 2

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

11 hours ago, GastlyGibus said:

Spoiler alert for endgame content you might want to play yourself. All the stuff you as the player do.

Reveal hidden contents

Your character is the one who halts the 2nd Rikti invasion. Your character wipes the floor with the Freedom Phalanx in the Lord Recluse Strike Force. Your character beats up Lord Recluse and his cronies in the Ms. Liberty Task Force. Your character smacks down the Praetorian invasion in all of the incarnate trials. Your hero rushes in to save Statesman during Maria Jenkins' arc. Your character successfully staves off global annihilation at the end of the villain patrons' arcs. And finally, before Sunset, your character was meant to fight off the Battalion and stop them from conquering Earth.

Don't Forget:

Player Characters lead the massive force that assembles to prevent Mot from consuming all of Paragon by systematically dragging all of its citizens into a state of overwhelming existential dread and eating them one by one. There's even the option to leave the assembled coalition behind to guard the gates of the cemetery from the forces of the Pantheon while the PC stands alone against Mot.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 9/3/2023 at 8:20 AM, InvaderStych said:

Local Man was a player during Retail. Always wondered if they were lurking around Homecoming.

On Topic:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes he? is here.  Someone already had Local Man as a name so these days they are known as @Area Man to the best of knowledge posting a few times in the Controller forums.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, savair said:

how so

Those are Jack Emmert's ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Emmert ) character(s) ... and don't forget ... Tyrant, also known as Emperor Marcus Cole, is a Praetorian Earth Archvillain. (He is also the Statesman/Lord Recluse ... the third in the trinity as it were.)

I know there are giant monsters out there, but these 3 are supposed to be the big powers (behind?)/in the game.

On 9/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, savair said:

can you actually fight lord recluse or the statesman

I see the others have touched on the story arcs.

So now the PVP zone where you can run into Lord Recluse and his entourage and the hero enclave (Which I believe still contains Statesman), Recluse's Victory.

"... For decades, Lord Recluse has been plotting to destroy Statesman. He has been using captured D.A.T.A. and Portal Corp. scientists’ time technology to create a Destiny Portal—a portal that can travel to alternate futures. Tweaked by Dr. Aeon and perfected by his Mu Mystics, the Destiny Portal has allowed the Spider Lord to experiment with the time stream, visiting alternate timelines of Atlas Park, with hopes of domination...." - https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Recluse's_Victory

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 2 weeks later