Emp/DP or Pain/DP

sercrowfoot

Hey all. I cant decide between Empathy and Pain for my defender. I know i want Dual Pistols as a secondary but im not sure if one is better than the other (with or without DP as 2nd)?Last time i played an empathy def was a year before Villains came out. Can anyone recommend one over the other, and perhaps link a build i can go off of?

May I ask the general focus of the build? Based on what you're asking, I'm guessing Teaming mostly, instead of solo?

Do you want to focus on heals? Buffs? Are you sold on only pain or empathy? I prefer Pain on MMs because of how a few of the powers were modified for MMs.

What do you like out of each set? What appeals?

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

This is going to sound a little silly, but the difference between Pain Domination and Empathy is that while there's a lot of overlap, the former can be seen as a more offense-oriented version of the latter.  Pain Dom's powers have more of an emphasis on increasing damage, including your own as a secondary effect of its emergency heal and rez (and by giving you a pretty chunky PBAoE -def and -res debuff).  Empathy, meanwhile, increases recovery and regeneration, with its major single-target buffs being about defense and recharge.  There is a damage increase in Fortitude, but arguably the sizeable defense buff is the real draw.

So the main question is this: Do you want to give your team the ability to never stop punching, or do you want the punches to hit harder?  Consider that, consider your concept, and go with the result.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

If you insist on DP, Pain would be a better choice IMO. Empathy kinda needs Sonic Attack to really shine, and Pain's PBAoE playstyle fits together with DP's.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Defender

Primary Power Set: Pain Domination

Secondary Power Set: Dual Pistols

Power Pool: Sorcery

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Leaping

Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Nullify Pain -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(3), Prv-Heal/Rchg(3), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(5), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(5), Prv-Heal(7)

Level 1: Pistols -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(46)

Level 2: Soothe -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(7), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(9), DctWnd-Heal(9), DctWnd-Rchg(11)

Level 4: Spirit Ward -- DctWnd-Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal(11), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(17), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(27), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(29)

Level 6: Conduit of Pain -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 8: Enforced Morale -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 12: Soothing Aura -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Pnc-Heal(13), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(13), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(15), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(17)

Level 14: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)

Level 16: Bullet Rain -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Knock%(34), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(34), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(37)

Level 18: World of Pain -- RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(19), RctArm-ResDam(19), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23), GldArm-3defTpProc(23), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25)

Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(21), ShlWal-Def(21), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(27)

Level 22: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 24: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 26: Anguishing Cry -- Acc-I(A), RechRdx-I(33), RechRdx-I(46)

Level 28: Executioner's Shot -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Apc-Acc/Rchg(40), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(42), AchHee-ResDeb%(43)

Level 30: Rune of Protection -- RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(A), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(31), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), RctArm-ResDam(31)

Level 32: Painbringer -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 35: Piercing Rounds -- SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(36), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Ann-ResDeb%(43)

Level 38: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(40)

Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def(42)

Level 44: Web Cocoon -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(50), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50)

Level 47: Summon Disruptor -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(48)

Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Vigilance

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(33)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(29), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(33), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(50)

Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon

Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany

Level 0: Task Force Commander

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface

Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally

Level 50: Support Core Embodiment

Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement

------------