Bodyguard Mode

Sapphire Lotus

So I have my MM to 38, and im struggling to determine whether Bodyguard mode is active, my bind for Defensive mode is Numpad5 and when I hit it they all say "Entering Defensive Mode" I have read that that is universally the mode they need to be in to offer bodyguard status, however I see no buff alluding to this, alos when I am in combat and my pet takes a hit I cannot seem to tell if bodyguard mode makes a difference.

If someone could shed some light on Bodyguard mode and how its actually supposed to work and how it works on Homecoming, that would be fantastic.

Bodyguard is not just Defensive stance, it's also Follow.

Defensive//Stay and Defensive//Attack don't count.  :)

Also, what Bodyguard does is share out any damage you personally, the Mastermind, takes: each pet takes 1 share, the MM takes 2 shares.  (With all six pets out, you will take only 25% damage - a whopping 75% damage reduction!! - while each of your pets takes 12.5% of that damage).  It does not help at all, with damage taken directly by one of your pets.  They're bodyguarding you, not each other.  :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Bodyguard is not just Defensive stance, it's also Follow.

Defensive//Stay and Defensive//Attack don't count.  :)

Also, what Bodyguard does is share out any damage you personally, the Mastermind, takes: each pet takes 1 share, the MM takes 2 shares.  (With all six pets out, you will take only 25% damage - a whopping 75% damage reduction!! - while each of your pets takes 12.5% of that damage).  It does not help at all, with damage taken directly by one of your pets.  They're bodyguarding you, not each other.  :)

This, this right here is the why and how MMs are the tank counterpart. Not even a tank gets that much DR with just a button push out the gate.

This, this right here is the why and how MMs are the tank counterpart. Not even a tank gets that much DR with just a button push out the gate.

... and that's not counting any resistance you actually have, which is then MULTIPLICATIVE with that from Bodyguard.

Got 30% S/L resistance (from buffs, insps, whatever) ...?  Get punched for 1,000 points of damage?  LAUGH as it is reduced first to 250, and then 75 of it goes away ... final damage to you, only 175.

Effective resistance: 83.5% ... :D

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Stay defensive

Goto defensive

Follow defensive

These three “modes” are bodyguard. Any other mode is not.

This is both a blessing and a curse.

Indeed as aoe blasts to you and your pets in the vicinity can smack the pets down fast if not careful.

Stay defensive

Goto defensive

Follow defensive

What was put out about the pets in bodyguard is they have to be close to you (within Supremacy range) and in Defensive/Follow mode - Goto and Stay commands would take them out of bodyguard mode. One thing to be careful with when you start your MM in the Follow button you start with in your Tray is Aggressive/Follow mode. I ALWAYS edit this command and change Aggressive to Defensive. I also edit the Attack button to Defensive also - that way, when their target is defeated, they will return to Defensive/Follow so I will get my bodyguards back.

I also believe that if your pets aren't in Defensive/Follow, there will be a delay of 5-10 seconds after you put them in this mode when the Bodyguard function will take effect.

One nice thing is that whenever you "zone" (get the loading screen) - your pets are restored to full health and put into Defensive/Follow so the Bodyguard function is active.

Bodyguard tanking is an INCREDIBLE feeling.  Remember when Grandville was scary, and the bane spider squads were lethal?  Ninjas/Traps MM.  Facetank until the animation for poison trap finished, a dozen "Stealth Strike!"s appear over your head and your health bar barely moves.  SOOOO fun.  Brutes are just there for clean up. :)  People sleep on MM tanks, but they are amazing against things that arent AOE.  Admittedly, AOE will destroy you since you do technically have the lowest health in the game.  If I remember though, there is no active buff icon for bodyguard.  Its just supremacy range and in the right stances.  Not super well explained on the game"s end.   

Stay defensive

Goto defensive

Follow defensive

What was put out about the pets in bodyguard is they have to be close to you (within Supremacy range) and in Defensive/Follow mode - Goto and Stay commands would take them out of bodyguard mode. One thing to be careful with when you start your MM in the Follow button you start with in your Tray is Aggressive/Follow mode. I ALWAYS edit this command and change Aggressive to Defensive. I also edit the Attack button to Defensive also - that way, when their target is defeated, they will return to Defensive/Follow so I will get my bodyguards back.

I also believe that if your pets aren't in Defensive/Follow, there will be a delay of 5-10 seconds after you put them in this mode when the Bodyguard function will take effect.

One nice thing is that whenever you "zone" (get the loading screen) - your pets are restored to full health and put into Defensive/Follow so the Bodyguard function is active.

Defensive/Stay and Defensive/Goto are both also bodyguard mode.