Retrieving character list from server taking longer than it should

Hopestar

Windows 7 , 32 gigs of ram , Primocache ( uses ram as a C : cache to speed up loading, if mirrored, it loads around 5000mb/s (as this game tends to be ; ) ) , and I've turned off the swapfile because ... 32gigs of ram. 100/100Mbit interwebbs

I have to wait around 20-30 seconds for the character list to load. 

whatever it is, it's not memory management.

It just seems to sit there, doing nothing for a while. 

I would speculate that it's sending a request or something and it simply waits for that to timeout before proceeding. 

Which begs the question, what's different between w7 and w10 when it comes to handling timeouts?

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, LordSqueak said:

Windows 7 , 32 gigs of ram , Primocache ( uses ram as a C : cache to speed up loading, if mirrored, it loads around 5000mb/s (as this game tends to be ; ) ) , and I've turned off the swapfile because ... 32gigs of ram. 100/100Mbit interwebbs

I have to wait around 20-30 seconds for the character list to load. 

whatever it is, it's not memory management.

It just seems to sit there, doing nothing for a while. 

I would speculate that it's sending a request or something and it simply waits for that to timeout before proceeding. 

Which begs the question, what's different between w7 and w10 when it comes to handling timeouts?

Just a side comment on the build. Even with the optimizations and RAM, the OS still likes having atleast some of a swap file for itself (some background things don't actually work properly without it I read). I'd have to lookup the number again, but it's no longer the old 1.5x RAM of course.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

13 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Just a side comment on the build. Even with the optimizations and RAM, the OS still likes having atleast some of a swap file for itself (some background things don't actually work properly without it I read). I'd have to lookup the number again, but it's no longer the old 1.5x RAM of course.

I haven't used a swapfile on this computer since I installed 32 gigs of RAM. It stays on for months between reboots, and it's the most stable computer I've ever seen. 

The only time this becomes a problem is when windows runs out of available memory, at which point it will BSOD*. But this only happens if I use photoshop and make extra large projects and forget to check ram usage. and once when a minecraft mod had a memory leak. 

* the reason it BSOD's instead of just shutting down programs, is because I'm also using 12gigs with primocache to cache the C drive in RAM. (super speedy load times for whatever 12gigs of the C that I use the most. This does tend to cause problems with windows because systems files tends to be mirrored in cache. 

So speaking from experience, not having a swapfile is not a problem. ( in fact, I suspect the swapfile is the cause of many problems.) The point being, memory management seems to be irrelevant here. 

I took a few months off and now I'm back I'm still experiencing these kinds of delays.

Also, if I back out of waiting I still see that "do you want to leave the queue" message Impish Kat posted a screenshot of back in July. I do think the time I'm waiting is usually lower than it was before, but we're still talking about a pretty good wait, like 20-30 seconds? It was worse last weekend when the server was under heavy load. My PC's older now but it's got an AMD quad core CPU running at 4.3 and 8 gigs of RAM and Win 7 Pro 64 bit so it's not like it's a junky machine.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!