Targeting AOE Powers

Tersival

Is there a way to target AOE powers to centre on a selected target instead of the default 'place the AOE circle somewhere using your mouse'?

I thouhgt I read something saying it's possible earlier in the week, but when I finally unlocked Lightning Rod on my scrapper I couldn't find the reference again.

Thanks in advance.

The magic bullet you're looking for is the /powexec_location command. Full docs in the Guide.

Basically, this power replaces the need for a mouse-click with a targeting command. For your purpose, try this:

/bind P "powexec_location target Lightning Rod"

...and that should cast the power right on whichever foe you have targeted. You could add a target_near command to make it a one-stop target-and-attack, too.

I use a variation to call Voltaic Sentinel:

/bind U "powexec_location 0:50 Voltaic Sentinel"

...which casts it 50 feet right in front of me (0 degrees).

This command works with any point-and-click power and opens up a whole barrel of bind/macro possiblities.

• Like 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

This format should work.  it will try to place it at your target first, if it can't then it will give you a hover to place it manually.  I can't remember if you need the quote marks on the /bind command or not.

/bind P "powexecname Tar Patch$$powexec_location target Tar Patch"

/macro TAR "powexecname Tar Patch$$powexec_location target Tar Patch"

This format should work.  it will try to place it at your target first, if it can't then it will give you a hover to place it manually.  I can't remember if you need the quote marks on the /bind command or not.

Quotes are optional - i love this!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Quotes are only optional on binds and macros if you accept the occasional mis-parse. They do help, IME.

There isn't really any need to double-call the power. If the _location placement fails, it leaves you with a targeting circle anyway. (The most common failure is trying to place outside a power's range - the notable one being Recall Friend, which has only about a 24-foot incoming range.)

It's a very well-implemented command that by all preceding development limitations shouldn't work at all. :)

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

The magic bullet you're looking for is the /powexec_location command. Full docs in the Guide.

I couldn't find the guide but that command was indeed the key.

This format should work.../macro TAR "powexecname Tar Patch$$powexec_location target Tar Patch"

Thanks all!

I'm generally loath to use binds because I bounce between alts so much I worry I'll remember what key works what for which character, so I worked on the macro option.

I found

/macro LtR powexec_location target Lightning Rod

works perfectly (no quotes).

My next goal will be reading up on Shenanigunner's "Macros... now with icons!" thread so I can replace the ugly grey macro button with something more fitting!

:)

Edit:

I found the Guide Shenanigunner referenced (I think, at http://www.dgath.com/coh/ ) and with some experimentation found that

/macro_image ElectricMelee_PBAoETeleport LtR powexec_location target Lightning Rod

gives me a version of Lightning Rod that executes Lighting Rod onto my currently selected target. It does not however create the targeting circle if I have no target, or if my target is out of range. Haven't figured out if that's possible yet.

Edit2:

More experimenting, and I've found

/macro_image ElectricMelee_PBAoETeleport LtR "powexecname Lightning Rod$$powexec_location target Lightning Rod"

will create a macro that looks like the Lightning Rod icon on my power tray, entitled "LtR" if I right-click on the icon, that executes Lightning Rod on my selected target if I have one, or if I don't have a target selected it creates the default targeting circle!

The quotes were important though. Without the quotes, the new icon only executes the first command, producing the default targeting circle - no surprise if you're already a macro master I guess, but important to mention for those of us learning I think.

• Thanks 2

In the past when we made macros the labeling text was what we got on the ugly gray macro. But that is actually the tooltip text. Now you can actually write out something meaningful that will pop up on hover if you forget what it is. Like "Lightning Rod Macro" or "Lightning Rod on Target".

Secondly I for now am not going to use the power's actual icon. I'm going to try to find a similar icon in another set so that I can see it's the macro version - for now at least I have a couple GTAOEs that while I do usually want them on my target, I might want to manually place them while in a chaotic fight. So, original power icons are going on my bonus toolbar.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

The key to using binds effectively is to start with a sensible keymap - like, ahem, the GABB layout - and then use a similarly sensible, consistent keymap for all added functions. I run a tank, sentinel, blaster, stalker, corruptor and mastermind and have found ways to make intuitive mappings for all of them. A cheat sheet helps if I haven't played the alt for a while, but even on first return and using old, old bindfiles I could make reasonable guesses about how I'd mapped the powers. Trying to use random associations around the original keymap and having them be different across alts is... not necessary. :)

And the /macro_image command, while needing a little work and experimentation to find good power icons that don't blend into your standard powerset, is a big help for macronauts. It is, by the way, amply documented in the Guide. No need to chase discussion links.

The Guide is in my sig. I should have repeated the link in the text for clarity.

I couldn't find the guide but that command was indeed the key.

This format should work.../macro TAR "powexecname Tar Patch$$powexec_location target Tar Patch"

Thanks all!

I'm generally loath to use binds because I bounce between alts so much I worry I'll remember what key works what for which character, so I worked on the macro option.

I found

/macro LtR powexec_location target Lightning Rod

works perfectly (no quotes).

My next goal will be reading up on Shenanigunner's "Macros... now with icons!" thread so I can replace the ugly grey macro button with something more fitting!

:)

Edit:

I found the Guide Shenanigunner referenced (I think, at http://www.dgath.com/coh/ ) and with some experimentation found that

/macro_image ElectricMelee_PBAoETeleport LtR powexec_location target Lightning Rod

gives me a version of Lightning Rod that executes Lighting Rod onto my currently selected target. It does not however create the targeting circle if I have no target, or if my target is out of range. Haven't figured out if that's possible yet.

Edit2:

More experimenting, and I've found

/macro_image ElectricMelee_PBAoETeleport LtR "powexecname Lightning Rod$$powexec_location target Lightning Rod"

will create a macro that looks like the Lightning Rod icon on my power tray, entitled "LtR" if I right-click on the icon, that executes Lightning Rod on my selected target if I have one, or if I don't have a target selected it creates the default targeting circle!

The quotes were important though. Without the quotes, the new icon only executes the first command, producing the default targeting circle - no surprise if you're already a macro master I guess, but important to mention for those of us learning I think.

How did you find the icon to use?

How do you get powexec_location to work in a bind?  You have to type it in directl.

It works fine in a bind. I can use /bind Shift+Q "powexec_location target quicksand"

Yep. See the Guide for complete details on how to use all the command's targeting options.

I actually had a problem with this where the foe was perceived to be at an invalid location (they were 10' right in front of me but at a different height) and instead of giving me a targeting reticle the power just "jammed" up and I got an invalid target location message from System. I had to escape to cancel my very simple macro that was just like the sample above and manually cast it. Very weird.  This location toggle flips out over target height sometimes.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I actually had a problem with this where the foe was perceived to be at an invalid location (they were 10' right in front of me but at a different height) and instead of giving me a targeting reticle the power just "jammed" up and I got an invalid target location message from System. I had to escape to cancel my very simple macro that was just like the sample above and manually cast it. Very weird.  This location toggle flips out over target height sometimes.

I've noticed that. Another weird thing is that if the target is on an area that has a second floor underneath it then it will sometimes target the lower floor instead of the target's location.

Defender Smash!

The /powexec_location target

power_name works fine... but, is possible to use my own character like focus of the AE of Bonfire power, by example, for catch all enemies around me? Like self_target or else? Thanks.

Yes you can -

/powexec_location self power_name  This will use your location as the target location

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I tried all this but received messages stating invalid powerexec, name, and target commands. Also, how do you exactly type that into the screen so you get a button to replace the power in a numbered tray slot?

Basically, this power replaces the need for a mouse-click with a targeting command. For your purpose, try this:

/bind P "powexec_location target Lightning Rod"

...and that should cast the power right on whichever foe you have targeted. You could add a target_near command to make it a one-stop target-and-attack, too.

This command works with any point-and-click power and opens up a whole barrel of bind/macro possiblities.

I tried all this but received messages stating invalid powerexec, name, and target commands. Also, how do you exactly type that into the screen so you get a button to replace the power in a numbered tray slot?

Can you copy/paste exactly what you are typing that’s giving you the error?

/macro EQK powerexecname Earthquake$$powerexec_location target Earthquake

With and without quotes

I got the button, but it didn't work.

I need to be able to target the nearest enemy to drop Earthquake because it's difficult to drop the reticle-AoE floor target when groups of people or MMs are in front.

There is some unnecessary redunancy is this macro - you don't really need both commands.  Also, it's powexec, not powerexec

Try this:

/macro EQK powexec_location target Earthquake

/macro EQK powerexecname Earthquake$$powerexec_location target Earthquake

With and without quotes

I got the button, but it didn't work.

I need to be able to target the nearest enemy to drop Earthquake because it's difficult to drop the reticle-AoE floor target when groups of people or MMs are in front.

There is some unnecessary redunancy is this macro - you don't really need both commands.  Also, it's powexec, not powerexec

Try this:

/macro EQK powexec_location target Earthquake

hmm, i'm trying to create a macro for Dark Servant, it's not doing anything:

/macro DS "powexec_location 0:50 Dark Servant”

what am I doing wrong here?

hmm, i'm trying to create a macro for Dark Servant, it's not doing anything:

/macro DS "powexec_location 0:50 Dark Servant”

what am I doing wrong here?

On the face it looks fine...what happens if you just do it as a slash command

/powexec_location 0:50 Dark Servant