4th July Event?

EmeraldFox

Guild Wars celebrates Chinese New Year because it has a psuedo-Chinese culture. No one seems to consider this the thin edge of Chinese cultural domination over the west. Paragon City is located in America. It would make sense for them to celebrate Independence Day.

Except that Chinese New Year is not a China-specific holiday, it's celebrated by many countries, just like western New Year is.

It's getting to a point where Americans aren't even allowed to celebrate their Holidays anymore without SOMEBODY making a stink of it. American culture is being stamped out. The fact we are even debating this is absurd to me.

American culture is being stamped out? It's absurd you think this is actually happening.

Then again, you did start ranting about political correctness.

It's getting to a point where Americans aren't even allowed to celebrate their Holidays anymore without SOMEBODY making a stink of it. American culture is being stamped out. The fact we are even debating this is absurd to me. Not even 30 years ago, this discussion would NOT have been happening. I never thought I would see the day...my 44 years of life and Americans have lost all self identity and culture. It's a damn shame...and I am sorry I have lived long enough to see it.

Don't worry too hard about American culture fading away. Here in France, we've been dealing with Halloween for roughly two decades, and we're also discovering the wonders of Black Friday.

There's no such thing as Thanksgiving here, mind, but we still are getting Black Friday. Name stays the same, too, the average French doesn't really know how to translate it, let alone where the hell it comes from.

I don't know how it's like, over there, in the USA, but if you ever feel like your culture is being oppressed in your own country, may I suggest you move to France? Give the French a couple years, and they might learn about Thanksgiving! That would be a huge improvement over Black Friday, at any rate.

Part-time table flipper

Global: Skathi the Huntress

This has always been a multi-national game, thus the other 500 non-USA countries really don't know or care about Independance day. I doubt we will get anything big, if at all. Otherwise we will have to start having Canadian, Yugoslavian, and Hoot-Hoot Independance day events.

There are 196 countries on Earth, where are these other 300+ countries?

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

This has always been a multi-national game, thus the other 500 non-USA countries really don't know or care about Independance day. I doubt we will get anything big, if at all. Otherwise we will have to start having Canadian, Yugoslavian, and Hoot-Hoot Independance day events.

There are 196 countries on Earth, where are these other 300+ countries?

The vast empire that was known as Hoot-Hoot was recently split up into several smaller nations.  Plus the Rogue Isles.  Several of the dimensions that Portal Corp discovered have been petitioning the Primal earth for sovereign recognition as well...

And plus rounding...lots and lots of rounding

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Oh man. 

Best possible 4th of July event: To celebrate the 4th, the mayor has commissioned a giant robotic Uncle Sam for the parade.  Unfortunately, the low bid came from a 5th Column front group.  Now Uncle Sambot has gone rogue and it's up to the heroes to disable him and defeat the Nazis!

I don't know anything about Mission Architect but it might be time to learn.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

If we were talking a dystopic cyberpunk MMO where the world was controlled by megacorporations, I could certainly see the arguments against such a celebration (or at least having an in-world reason why it was still being celebrated).

Have some spot in the game where the organization of heavily-armed die-hard patriots are still stubbornly celebrating Independence Day as if the United States as a political entity still actually meant something, and you can run across people out with barbecues and bunting, shooting off fireworks, and if you start a firefight you'll find yourself in a massive crossfire from all the 'civilians'. Sounds surreal enough to work well in a cyberpunk game.

If we were talking a dystopic cyberpunk MMO where the world was controlled by megacorporations, I could certainly see the arguments against such a celebration (or at least having an in-world reason why it was still being celebrated).

Have some spot in the game where the organization of heavily-armed die-hard patriots are still stubbornly celebrating Independence Day as if the United States as a political entity still actually meant something, and you can run across people out with barbecues and bunting, shooting off fireworks, and if you start a firefight you'll find yourself in a massive crossfire from all the 'civilians'. Sounds surreal enough to work well in a cyberpunk game.

As a member of the class you are talking about, I take offense to this stereotype entirely. You didn't even once mention the american flag shirt with a bald eagle on the back and cut-off sleeves, or the denim cut-off shorts, or even the Git-R-Done or tractor company hat. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Yeah, what he said.......mostly. America is amazingly hated unconditionally worldwide despite the ENORMOUS amount of money and resources that the US Private Sector and Corporations donate to humanitarian causes. Just not feeling the love.

The COX Community has always made me feel welcome despite their distaste for my countries policies, and still does. Guess we just need to kick back, Open a Cold Brew ( Unless you prefer a room temperature Stout ) and Celebrate the fact that we are back here, Playing the game we missed and loved and are wanting to modify to service our personal pet peeves and wish lists, while recounting the story of how we took down 3 AVs at the same time, at level 18, SOLO, with no Enhancements or Inspirations with a Pet less Mastermind.

Anyway, the Main Server is on Canadian Soil, Reunion in Germany, so let's just Celebrate "Canada Day" ( July 1st ) and "Tag der Deutschen Einheit" ( October 3rd ) and be done with it. I'm still having a 4 day weekend ( July 4th - 7th ) and I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can, and a good chunk of time will be in game getting Marine to 50. I may redo his costume RED, WHITE & BLUE though, just so the people on Reunion know I'm a stupid American, from the people I've played with so far, they'll be fine with it. 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I remember back in the day, at least on Pinnacle server, people with any sort of explodey nuke power and flight would hover high up in Atlas Park and let loose.  My PB took part several times through the years.  I'm all for a 4th of July event.  Paragon is in the USA, the USA celebrates the 4th.  It's not rocket science.

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior