(Mostly) Canon Night Widow Build -- Be the baddie!

Hello all you Arachnos devotees, Night Widow Lyserian here, second in command of the famed Wraith Spiders, personal guard to our patron Ghost Widow. I'm here to show you how to be a proper Night Widow, the way our NPC ancestors did it back in the days before they let just anybody wear the helmet.

This is not a top-tier, definitive build for Night Widows. There are better PvP builds and PvE builds out there, and this build sacrifices in both areas in order to be as close to a canon Night Widow NPC as possible, with only a couple of exceptions.

Update 2: This is a top-tier, definitive build for Night Widows, at least for PvE. See the updated build post HERE.Yet to test it in PvP, but Widows have historically not been great in that department.

Update 3: Attempted to solo Ghost Widow at level 53. Was able to outdamage her regen and survive everything she did, but her healing made it so the fight would've taken *forever.* So I dropped her to 52 and killed her in about 12 minutes. This is without Lore pets, by the way. I tried using them on the first attempt, but they made the fight harder as she just kept healing off  of them. I took screens of the fights, but sadly I was an idiot and forgot to un-hide my UI. Whoops. Either way, build is good. Solos difficult AVs at at least level 52, and that's without the Dart powers for -regen. With them it'd be a piece of cake.

That said, this build has several pros attached to it:

-Perma-Hasten and Mind Link, with only 14 seconds of downtime on Build Up You'll have a solid attack chain without gaps and be dealing pretty good, if not top-tier, damage!

-Softcapped Melee defense without Mind Link, 56% and softcapped Ranged with Mind Link Nothing in melee is gonna touch you, and if it does you've got Aid Self!

-All of the most important and powerful Night Widow abilities in a solid core. You're not missing anything big! All the team buffs save Vengeance, all the big attacks--especially the flashy ones!

-Extremely easily moddable to suit your playstyle and desire to min/max, solo AVs or even PvP. Don't like Placate? Swap it out! Want -regen for AV soloing? Easily swap the Psi powers for Darts, without changing a single thing about the build! Want to PvP? You've got room for both Super Jump and Super Speed, and whatever else you'd like! The choice is yours.

-CHEAP! No purples here! Prices may vary depending on which server you're on and what the economy shapes up to be, but we're only dealing in yellows and oranges here. No PvP sets even, but feel free to swap those in!

There are a few cons, though:

-Mostly theorycrafted for now Still working my way toward endgame, and set IOs are currently a dream. But the math checks out, and this ain't my first rodeo as a Widow, so I'm fairly certain this'll do just fine no matter what content you plan to run (just be sure to tweak as-necessary, IE don't try soloing AVs without -regen from Darts!).

Heavy on endurance The cooler, "canon" Widow powers, namely Eviscerate and Psychic Scream, are pretty heavy on Endurance. You should be more than OK by endgame, but expect  it to be pretty rough for a while while levelling. If necessary, drop  Widow Training: Leadership for Combat Training: Offensive and hold off on Widow Training: Assault til your endurance is more manageable. Or carry tons of blues!

No Elude or Smoke Bomb I really want to love both of these abilities. I want to be the most canon Night Widow out there. But, I just can't get over how purely, singularly awful Smoke Bomb is as an ability and as awesome as Elude can be, even with perma-Hasten its cooldown is too long, the crash too painful and the defense boost not impactful enough when you're already past soft-cap. Maybe I'll change my mind on this some day, and if you enjoy one or both powers you can easily swap them in (for example, in place of Field Medic and Placate).

Update 1: Have played the build extensively now, and can safely say it's as strong as I thought it would be. That said, I left a more optimized version a few posts below this one, so look to that if you're looking for an optimized build rather than a "pick up and play" one. I made further optimizations to my actual in-game build, but I'm not going to post that version, as it's considerably more expensive and time consuming to achieve and I'd rather keep this guide as a guide rather than a showcase.

Update 2: See the updated build post HERE. No longer experimental or theoretical, this build is absolutely legit.

So before I dump the Hero Designer build on you, let me explain certain decisions I made with the build.

I started with the goal of making a canon Night Widow build that was viable at endgame, and immediately decided that perma-hasten and Mind Link was the way to go. Build Up was a natural choice with perma-Hasten, which limits its major weakness compared to Follow Up: its downtime. Feel free to directly swap one for the other, though; the choice is yours!

Swipe has always felt unnecessary, but if you'd prefer to avoid the long (but awesome) animation and heavy endurance cost of Eviscerate, take Swipe instead and you're likely to have even better overall DPS. Highly recommend taking Follow Up if you go this route.

I chose Mental Blast and Psychic Scream for thematic purposes, but having some Psi damage and -recharge is pretty useful. That said, in nearly all cases Poison Dart and Dart Burst are strictly better, but especially when soloing AVs for their stacking -regen debuff. If your goal is to min-max your Widow rather than to be faithful to the NPCs, take the Darts and never look back. Otherwise, enjoy the super long but awesome animations and knowledge that you're more of a proper Widow than those other ones.

Field Medic is there for the QOL of having more Endurance recovery on a taxing build. It's easily swappable for whatever you'd like. Placate is, likewise, swappable, as is the travel power. Feel free to take Super Jump and Super Speed to PvP with, Elude for epic moments, Smoke Bomb for canonicity and lulz or whatever else you'd like.

In any case, when you replace an ability make sure you're replacing it as directly as possible (ie, Psy Scream fo Dart Burst) so you can re-slot and re-enhance those powers the same way you would for the initial ones. The QOL powers don't need slots, so don't worry about them.

Update 1: In the more current build posted later, it is possible, if you so choose, to remove Hasten and one other power, likely Placate or Field Medic, and replace them with Boxing and Tough. You'll still maintain perma-Mind Link, though you'll lose significant cooldown on Build Up and there may be a small gap in your attack chain (easily filled with Mental Blast). Switching from Build Up to Follow Up would close the gap, and likely provide a more consistently high-damage chain, but be aware that Follow Up itself will not be properly slotted as an attack, and you will lose the guaranteed double Build Up effect from Gaussian's thanks to Follow Up's shorter base cooldown. Either version is acceptable, pick which you like better.

With the build as-is, or even with the above modifications, you've got all the team buffs you need, a solid single target melee attack chain, a similar one for AoEs, two ranged abilities (one AoE) and even an uninterruptible Aid Other for those times you're desperate. As you kit yourself out with sets you'll only get stronger.

Core abilities (Take immediately, at the recommended levels!)

Strike

TT:Maneuvers

Build/Follow Up

Indomitable Will

Spin

Lunge

Slash

Foresight*

Mask Presence*

Mental Training*

Mind Link*

Build-Important (Take when you feel you want them/can afford to run them)

TT:Leadership

TT:Assault

Hasten

Aid Other

Aid Self

Night Widow Flavor + Additional(Swap as recommended above if you'd like!)

Eviscerate

Mental Blast

Psychic Scream

Field Medic

Placate

Combat Jumping (Very useful for Defense and Luck of the Gambler +Recharge, only swap if you absolutely need the extra power)

Enjoy, Widows, and go forth for the glory of Arachnos!

(Hero Designer in next post)

(Update 1: More current build in this post: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,830.msg18588.html#msg18588)

Update 2: Even more current and powerful build here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,830.msg18588.html#msg18588

• Thanks 1

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Arachnos Widow

Primary Power Set: Night Widow Training

Secondary Power Set: Widow Teamwork

Power Pool: Sorcery

Power Pool: Medicine

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Mental Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(36), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)

Level 1: Combat Training: Defensive -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(3), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(3), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(11), LucoftheG-Def(17), LucoftheG-Rchg+(31)

Level 2: Strike -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(46), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(46), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(46), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(48), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(48)

Level 4: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(5), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(5), Rct-Def/Rchg(7), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Rct-ResDam%(11)

Level 6: Mystic Flight -- Flight-I(A)

Level 8: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9), RechRdx-I(9)

Level 10: Indomitable Will -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 12: Spin -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(13), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(13), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Obl-%Dam(17)

Level 14: Lunge -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(33), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(33), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)

Level 16: Tactical Training: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 18: Slash -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(19), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Mk'Bit-Dam%(23)

Level 20: Tactical Training: Leadership -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(23), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(25), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(25), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(31)

Level 22: Foresight -- RedFrt-Def/Rchg(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(37), RedFrt-Def(37), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(40), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), RedFrt-EndRdx(42)

Level 24: Mask Presence -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 26: Eviscerate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(27), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(27), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Obl-%Dam(31)

Level 28: Mental Training -- Run-I(A)

Level 30: Mind Link -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 32: Psychic Scream -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(50), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(50), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(50)

Level 35: Aid Other -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)

Level 38: Aid Self -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(39), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(40), Prv-Absorb%(40)

Level 41: Field Medic -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45), RechRdx-I(45)

Level 47: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 49: Placate -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Conditioning

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(42), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(43), PrfShf-Acc/Rchg(43), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(43), PrfShf-End%(45)

------------

------------

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Will be updating  this build in the coming days as I experiment more at endgame. Already changed a few minor things, but nothing so significant it warranted a full rewrite.

Currently testing to see whether dropping the Medicine tree for Fighting. Medicine gives us Aid Self, which lets us recover from bad hits and helps our unfortunate endurance issues, but leaves us with very little Smashing/Lethal resist at endgame. Fighting lets us get a baseline of 25%-ish S/L resist, which can get as high as 58% with proper IO set slotting. That leaves us with nothing but Health for recovering HP, though, and gives us two more toggles to use, which means instead of carrying nothing but blues we're carrying a mix of blues and greens. But, the extra S/L resist means there's less damage getting through to heal.

What I'll likely do is post the Fighting version as an alternate, for those that prefer to mitigate damage rather than heal it. Typically that's the way to go in CoH, but note that endurance will be a problem if you go this route, so expect to need to go for Cardiac in your Alpha slot.

Otherwise, the build mostly as-is has been doing just fine in both solo and teams all the way through endgame, though it can struggle solo against Elite Bosses, especially +2 ones (I've been soloing at +2/x1 almost exclusively since the 30s, but feel free to experiment to find your preferred Notoriety).

Having played a MA/SR/Soul Scrapper years ago, I can categorically state that softcap Defense without a means to heal yourself and simply relying on regeneration and "skittles" to stay alive is not a winning combination.  Just about the only way I ever found to make that that ... work ... was to rely on Phase Shift so as to be able to take a "time out" after being hit too hard so as to have the necessary time to regenerate and recover the loss of green bar.  This was, however, a rather unsatisfying solution, since it basically meant taking yourself out of combat for most of a minute before re-engaging.

By contrast, Aid Self made a huge difference in survival without requiring expenditure of limited resources.  In fact, with Defenses at the softcap, it was easily possible to simply use Aid Self while dodging multiple attacks during the unimproved Interrupt time and be able to use Aid Self without issues.  There were times/situations where that would not be true, such as DoTs from powers like Caltrops or various Rain powers, but on the whole those were avoidable circumstances (for the most part) that just required a little bit more situational awareness on the part of the Player.

In terms of timing of when to invest in Aid Self in a Defense oriented protection scheme, I personally recommend choosing Aid Self as early as your build will allow to be practical, simply because of how much of a difference it can make in your Time To Survive duration while at the same time not requiring you to "withdraw" from combat for an extended span of time.

On Rikti Mothership Raids, without Aid Self I would never have been able to Taunt (and hold!) the aggro/attention of FIVE Rikti Magus on myself and solo them for minute(s) at a time while waiting for the "cavalry" to arrive and deliver the necessary beatdown to dispose of all of those Rikti Magus.  Only by being able to heal myself using a power could I have achieved that performance.  The first time I did it, people were shocked.  The second time ... there was awe ... and after that I started getting a reputation for being able to hold the aggro of FIVE Rikti Magus on myself AND LIVE ... when letting only one get loose would have Mezzed almost the entire raid group.

So ... yeah.

I'm of the opinion that dropping Aid Self would be a mistake.

Then again, I the pools I used were Flight (for Hover only), Medicine (for Aid Self and pre-req) and Leadership (for all toggles) so that I'd be an asset to any group I joined.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Was successfully talked out of the Fighting pool earlier, so I won't be posting that version of the build.

Instead I'll post this version, which is a significantly updated version of the build in the OP. I'll update the OP to recommend this one, though it's a bit more expensive so I won't outright replace that version. Still no purples, and thanks to Merits it's a lot easier to get a bunch of these formerly elusive unique IOs, so it shouldn't be too hard to complete.

We get overcapped defenses, 28% S/L resist (ENTIRELY from IOs, so be aware that it'll take a while to get to that point) and all of the powers I mentioned in the OP, at the same levels.

Power Pool: Speed

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Mental Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Build%(43)

Level 1: Combat Training: Defensive -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 2: Strike -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(36), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(36), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50)

Level 4: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(7), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(7), LucoftheG-Rchg+(11)

Level 6: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(48)

Level 8: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9), RechRdx-I(9), GssSynFr--Build%(43)

Level 10: Indomitable Will -- EndRdx-I(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11)

Level 12: Spin -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(13), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(15), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), EndRdx-I(43)

Level 14: Lunge -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(17), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Dam%(37)

Level 18: Slash -- SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDmnofA-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprDmnofA-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprDmnofA-Rchg/DmgFear%(23)

Level 20: Tactical Training: Leadership -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 22: Mask Presence -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(46), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46)

Level 24: Foresight -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(25), RedFrt-EndRdx(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)

Level 26: Eviscerate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Obl-Acc/Rchg(29), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), EndRdx-I(34)

Level 30: Mind Link -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), LucoftheG-Rchg+(33)

Level 32: Psychic Scream -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Dtn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(45), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Dtn-Dmg/Rng(50)

Level 38: Aid Self -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(39), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Prv-Absorb%(40)

Level 41: Field Medic -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)

Level 44: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48), RechRdx-I(48)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(3), PrfShf-End%(3)

------------

------------

Widows ans Soldiers only get access to the Patron Power Pools. Youll have to switch back to Villain then go to Grandville and complete one of the patrons first story line to unlock them. Once you do, you are free yo go back to hero; you will still have access to the power pools.

I've made further optimizations to the build, for those that are interested. This is the build I'm currently running (or rather, a cheaper version without any purples).

Only real change, other than more efficient slotting that takes advantage of boosters to get certain IOs to +5, is swapping Hasten out and Tough in for more S/L resists. It's perfectly OK to use Hasten instead, and with Build Up I'd recommend it (see the update in the OP). Without purples or Hasten, it is likely better to use Follow Up instead of Build Up as there may be a small gap in your attack chain, which Follow Up would fill neatly, but out of personal preference I stuck with Build Up. As mentioned in the OP I won't be posting the more expensive version; if you're at the point where you're looking to add purples to your build, you don't need this guide anymore, you know what you want to replace.

Power Pool: Fighting

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Mental Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Build%(43)

Level 2: Strike -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(36), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(36), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50)

Level 4: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(7), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(7), LucoftheG-Rchg+(11)

Level 6: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A)

Level 8: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9), GssSynFr--Build%(43)

Level 12: Spin -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(13), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(15), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), EndRdx-I(43)

Level 14: Lunge -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(17), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Dam%(37)

Level 18: Slash -- SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDmnofA-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprDmnofA-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprDmnofA-Rchg/DmgFear%(23)

Level 22: Mask Presence -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(46), Rct-Def(46)

Level 24: Foresight -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(25), RedFrt-EndRdx(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)

Level 26: Eviscerate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Obl-Acc/Rchg(29), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), EndRdx-I(34)

Level 30: Mind Link -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), LucoftheG-Rchg+(33)

Level 32: Psychic Scream -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Dtn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(45), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Dtn-Dmg/Rng(50)

Level 38: Aid Self -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(39), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Prv-Absorb%(40)

Level 41: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 44: Boxing -- Empty(A)

Level 47: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(48), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(48), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)

Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-RunSpd(A), Clr-EndRdx(48)

Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)

Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon

------------

------------

I just want to provide a few quick notes in favor of Smoke Grenade. It's an amazing ability for a number of factors.

[*]It's an unresistable ToHit Debuff. That's makes it a reliable source of debuff for an entire mob for 1 minute.

[*]It recharges quickly and is cheap on endurance.

[*]Did I mention it was enhanceable? Because it is. This means you can squeeze out around 6% -ToHit to your foes and better protect yourself and allies.

[*]The negative perception helps with aggro management. Blinding your foes is one of the most signature elements to the Night Widow combat experience.

YMMV though.

Minor but important update.

I made some small adjustments to the build. Left out purples, still, to keep it relatively cheap, but I swapped Follow Up for Build Up in this Hastenless version, and slotted the other VEAT set, Spider's Bite, in there. That makes this version somewhat more expensive, while still being cheaper than a purpled-out version. Again I'm going to leave the build here and the original in the OP.

The big, important reason for this update post, despite the minor changes, is that I discovered something. While in a PUG doing the LRSF, I discovered the interesting fact that, with t3 Incarnate abilities slotted, I could actually solo the level 53 AVs, and even tank multiple at once while my team was off elsewhere killing the others. So that was pretty cool, and it means I'm happy to call this build no longer experimental or theoretical, but complete and--surprisingly--capable of some of the hardest content in the game solo! The caveat is that with Musculature boost instead of Agility or Cardiac, I needed to pop several blues between Ageless Destiny uses, but in terms of DPS I was able to easily outdamage the AVs' regen while surviving all but a single attack that one-shot me...because I ran out of end stupidly. Now the next challenge is to solo the whole LRSF...

Also, less impressively, the build has been through the entire Night Ward and RWZ Incarnate arcs solo at +4/x3 (can likely do a higher player count, but I like the speed of x3) and is halfway through the Dark Astoria arc, soloing all but one of the badge challenges thus far (the first one, 2 minutes is rough!). The three Avatars of Hamidon went down surprisingly quickly and without any difficulty, even. I might turn on solo AVs for the rest of the missions and turn them down a bit, but not sure yet. Incarnate AVs might be too much--but who knows!

Anyway, here's the build as it currently exists, sans Purples as mentioned.

Power Pool: Fighting

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Mental Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Build%(43)

Level 6: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A)

Level 8: Follow Up -- SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprSpdBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprSpdBit-Rchg/Global Toxic(46), GssSynFr--Build%(48)

Level 22: Mask Presence -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(46)

Level 41: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 44: Boxing -- Empty(A)

Level 47: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(48), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(48), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)

Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-RunSpd(A)

Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)

Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon

------------

------------

I just want to provide a few quick notes in favor of Smoke Grenade. It's an amazing ability for a number of factors.

[*]It's an unresistable ToHit Debuff. That's makes it a reliable source of debuff for an entire mob for 1 minute.

[*]It recharges quickly and is cheap on endurance.

[*]Did I mention it was enhanceable? Because it is. This means you can squeeze out around 6% -ToHit to your foes and better protect yourself and allies.

[*]The negative perception helps with aggro management. Blinding your foes is one of the most signature elements to the Night Widow combat experience.

YMMV though.

Main problems with Smoke Grenade are that it wants slots and doesn't hide you. It's not the worst power ever, but in an AT that needs so many slots elsewhere (seriously, it was a challenge to find two slots to fit in Follow Up in the current version) it's a tough sell. Worth experimenting with if you want the true Widow experience, though!

Smoke doesn't need slots. It autohits and the -ToHit is just a nice bonus. It also has huge range, recharges fast, and doesn't cost much endurance. I use it to be invisible while clicking glowies next to mobs, or to sneak by things that ignore stealth (because they don't ignore -perception). It's a great resource alongside stealth.

Anyway, this is a really cool idea! Kudos for the effort.

• 4 months later

Thank you for your initial post way at the top that discusses the archetype and what powers to take, we need more of that on these forums!
I will never buy a " Purple Codpiece  of the +9000 Awesomeness" enhancement. I just use drops and craft IOs from found recipes if they will help me.
Thank you for a guide that explains what is important as you level.

• 1 month later

Thanks for the build and the detailed posts explaining it, since I never got into the end-game when it was live slotting was a mystery to me (as were widows). I'm very much enjoying the widow as it fits my exploration urges and seems to do the business. I am far from completing the build but it is great to have a goal to work towards.

I have made some changes though. I swapped level 6 mystic flight with combat jumping since it felt more "natural" and in combination with the rented jet-pack good enough as a travel power (especially since I mostly solo so don't have to race to the point). Also part of the goal was to explore the maps (which stealth is great for). I swapped the psychic attacks for claws for the same reason and since you indicated this was not a downgrade. 

This leaves me with a free power pick. I moved placate down to 41 (where combat jumping used to be) but wonder what would be the best pick at 49. Field Medic and smoke grenade seem to offer some advantage but I'm not sure which would add most to the build or if there is something else. I assume Weave is not of much value since defense is soft-capped. I'd welcome your thoughts.

• 1 year later
On 4/28/2019 at 11:32 PM, Stealthrider said:

(Update 1: More current build in this post: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,830.msg18588.html#msg18588)

Update 2: Even more current and powerful build here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,830.msg18588.html#msg18588

Hey there! Interested in your build, but neither of those links work (it looks like they broke with a forum software update).  Is the last build in the thread the "top-tier, definitive" one?

• 11 months later
On 5/31/2019 at 1:44 AM, Dispari said:

Smoke doesn't need slots. It autohits and the -ToHit is just a nice bonus. It also has huge range, recharges fast, and doesn't cost much endurance. I use it to be invisible while clicking glowies next to mobs, or to sneak by things that ignore stealth (because they don't ignore -perception). It's a great resource alongside stealth.

Anyway, this is a really cool idea! Kudos for the effort.

Excellent point.  Having had the 'Smoke' grenade power on my AR/Devices blaster, I can vouch for its effectiveness.

I've been on the receiving end of a Widow 'blinding' me so many times.  It's an 'eye-conic' power (see what I did there?) for Widows that takes the foe out of combat.  Even a fully specced out L50 Dominator.  It doesn't make you invsible but it makes it hard for them to see you.  That's a win.  That's a layer of 'defence' or 'resistance' right there.  They swing and miss you?  You can see them, you swing and it's a hot tea spoon to their nads.

Azrael.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:44 PM, Stealthrider said:

Gather round, children, and listen to the tale of my attempt to solo the LRSF.

https://imgur.com/a/j5lzoQb <-Clicky to see if I succeeded. Warning: Long Imgur album.

As a 1st time Widow.  I found your guide superb.  

I was...'uh...this is like the War Shade....so many powers...Which path?  Widow?  Fortunata...?  What does all this mean...?'  Confusion.  

But you convinced me to go the whole Widow experience.  I'll have to lose my personal favourite of the poison dart...

I see the logic of Medicine Pool (not something I normally take...) as when Defence collapses...or the foe get that lucky shot in...

The only area of change is the Smoke Grenade.  For me?  Gotta have it.  Given the low hps widow...the more layers of soft defence the better?  That means, reluctantly losing Mystic Flight or something else.

I'm curious about the lack of 'Follow Up.'  Wouldn't that be good to stack with Build UP?  As in MoAR damage?  I like Follow UP.  It's a good attack chain power?

Regards,

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

23 minutes ago, Dispari said:

Can't have both BU and FU, though Forts can have both Aim and FU. Picking one will lock you into a playstyle. FU is better for sustained scrappy damage, BU is better for the kill and leave stalker playstyle. Pick your poison basically.

Ty.  Didn't know that.

I do like BU.  How can we not.  However...the satisfying 'chud...' sound of Follow Up....and the sustained Scrappy sounds good to me.  Leaving the mobs alive 'just long enough to 'enjoy' their swift deaths. 🙂

On my Scrapper, I couldn't imagine life without Follow Up.  (On my current Widow levelling build...I have Follow Up.  I do have Poison Dart and I'd like to try the Poison Dart AoE/Cone...probably my next power pick.  I like stacking AoE/Cones. eg. Spin and Poison Dart Cone in this case.  I find the Poison DoT amusing.)  

As a L17 Widow, I'm a long way off attempting a L50 build from this thread.  Never really tried CoV before.  Or a Widow.  1st time on this.  So both CoV and Widows are new to me.

When do Widows 'choose the path' for Fortunata or pure Widow?  Still greyed out to me as a L17.

I'm still impressed Widows get great defence numbers out the box so early and for all positions too.  Though the low HPs has almost caught me out quite a few times.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael