Biggest Mistake you Ever Made in COX

Marine X

My first character was an energy/energy blaster.  I figured that if guys were flying all over the place, they couldn't hit me, and kicking them back kept me out of melee range. 

So I slotted EVERYTHING for knockback.  I got booted from so many teams before I figured out why.  It took way to long to dawn on me that scrappers and tankers might not have wanted enemies pushed back a mile.

I hear ya.  My first was (and still is) an energy/energy blaster. And while I didn't do anything to increase the natural knockback of several powers, I still managed to piss off the scrappers.

They sound like lame Scrappers. KB all you want, I'll just hop on over and smash them if they aren't defeated.

I took Hover with my MA/Invul Scrapper back before respecs were a thing...at level 6...because I thought it would be like flying.  Yeah...

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

On my first character (Dark/Dark Scrapper), I only slotted one Resist Damage enhancer in my shields because I had no idea that they stacked. Needless to say, I am glad that I learned how to build.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On my first character (Dark/Dark Scrapper), I only slotted one Resist Damage enhancer in my shields because I had no idea that they stacked. Needless to say, I am glad that I learned how to build.

Oh, I did that one!

"Oh no, I slotted two of the same enhancement!  Why the heck would I do that?  I gotta fix that!"

Falling for that Lifetime/Annual sub thing in OG pre-sunset, but also having to have done so Before the cutoff point where they'd refund. I think I sunk like $200 in the last year (not counting the PC I'd JUST built).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Falling for that Lifetime/Annual sub thing in OG pre-sunset, but also having to have done so Before the cutoff point where they'd refund. I think I sunk like $200 in the last year (not counting the PC I'd JUST built).

My ex-guildmates bought 2 lifetime subscriptions to The Secret World two days before it went F2P.

What the hell, it's been on my chest for years and I'm gonna get a little too real.

Our Supergroup made a village people themed group for a while, mine was an Elec/Fire Blaster with a construction worker outfit named Manhole Inspector. Full disclosure, I was still pretty young but knew what I was doing, and was a bit of an a-hole. I'd played this character for months, working slowly toward 50 and softcapping defense and such, was a hell of a fun pure AOE melee range blaster.

One day I got a tell from another character, "Are you Family?". I had no clue then what this meant, and said no and asked. The person gave me a rundown and we talked for a while after that, and slowly I started feeling a bit uncomfortable because I realized I'd made a joke toon that might actually bother someone. I did ask if it was offensive, and they said it didn't bother them in the least (not sure it matters at all), and we continued to chat for a bit. But that was a big turning point for me, in that I really started thinking about the jokes I made and how they would come across to others in a vacuum. To this day, whoever that person was, I appreciate talking to me about it and explaining what the terms meant, and how the character could be taken by others. I won't say it changed my life, but it did become an important part of the person I am today, and definitely in the way I present myself online and interact with people. And it made me stop thinking of players as their characters, and realize that there are real people with real lives and issues that I impact every day. I've certainly not forgotten it going forward.

So I guess it wasn't a bad mistake, as I came out of it a bit better of person than I went into it. But it's something that's stuck with me, and definitely isn't a mistake I'd make twice.

Had a really bad Task Force, the really long one against Dr Vhaz. Spent 9 hours in two days on that. It was a struggle every step of the way, but we held out. On the second day in the last 30 minutes or so of the TF, we all decided to bio/eat etc and log off, log back in and finish it.

Two of the players logged back in early and cleared it, which screwed the rest of us out of the badge..which is why we all went in the first place.

My mistake was in going to the forums and venting about it. It got hardcore ugly.

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

My first ever character was a fire/elec blaster named “LeemDogg.” The backstory included something about being SnoopDoggs brother from another mother. And after somehow getting it to 50, I parked it and never played it again. To this day I hate blasters lol. To me, that was my biggest mistake.

Thankfully I’ve never sold any IO’s or anything crazy.

I have a few, dunno which is the biggest.  Probably #2, but you be the judge.

My first Scrapper took neither her mez protection nor Stamina.  I managed to make it to the upper 20s before my complaining about endurance and mezzes in a group led to helpful players steering me along the right path, which gave me a much improved character!

When level pacting came out, I level-pacted a new alt with a friend.  Once we got about 12, they just vanished.  We got along well enough and I stubbornly believed they'd come back, so I slogged my character all the way to 50 while level-pacted.  I basically gained around 40 levels at half XP mode.  My friend never returned to the game that I am aware of and I have no idea what happened to them.  I like to think that, during a time I was unsubbed, they happened to come back and found a random level 50 just waiting on them.

Not being subbed when the game entered sunset mode, which meant I was permanently locked into freemium mode, which really sucked.  Between that and the game shutting down, I was super hardcore disheartened and never played again until Homecoming.  Many times in the years between then and now I wished I had played at least a little bit more and gotten more out of the game.

I don't even know why now, maybe a bad experience or misunderstood word of mouth, but when I first started playing, I refused to team, always solo.  Which was fine, but when I discovered PUGing, I sort of kicked myself for having spent so much time soloing.  Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly valid way to play and to learn about how to play for a newbie, but a steamrolling team is like shared scrapper-lock and just as addicting.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I only even discovered the game about a year before the shutdown was announced. Even though it had just gone F2P, I went with the VIP subscription so that I'd have access to most everything (I'd already been paying for my WoW sub, so no biggie). And then I bought piles of costume pieces/packs (however it was done, I can't remember). I probably sank $200-$300 into the game, only to have it yanked out from under me after a year.

What the hell, it's been on my chest for years and I'm gonna get a little too real.

Our Supergroup made a village people themed group for a while, mine was an Elec/Fire Blaster with a construction worker outfit named Manhole Inspector. Full disclosure, I was still pretty young but knew what I was doing, and was a bit of an a-hole. I'd played this character for months, working slowly toward 50 and softcapping defense and such, was a hell of a fun pure AOE melee range blaster.

One day I got a tell from another character, "Are you Family?". I had no clue then what this meant, and said no and asked. The person gave me a rundown and we talked for a while after that, and slowly I started feeling a bit uncomfortable because I realized I'd made a joke toon that might actually bother someone. I did ask if it was offensive, and they said it didn't bother them in the least (not sure it matters at all), and we continued to chat for a bit. But that was a big turning point for me, in that I really started thinking about the jokes I made and how they would come across to others in a vacuum. To this day, whoever that person was, I appreciate talking to me about it and explaining what the terms meant, and how the character could be taken by others. I won't say it changed my life, but it did become an important part of the person I am today, and definitely in the way I present myself online and interact with people. And it made me stop thinking of players as their characters, and realize that there are real people with real lives and issues that I impact every day. I've certainly not forgotten it going forward.

So I guess it wasn't a bad mistake, as I came out of it a bit better of person than I went into it. But it's something that's stuck with me, and definitely isn't a mistake I'd make twice.

This is a great story.

When I first played COH, my very first toon ws a Tank named Purple Scorch.

I had absolutely no clue what a tank was, or what tanking was about - so every time I leveled, I added to my awesome damage inducing powers.

I rarely ever teamed with anyone - mainly because I was scared.  So I would fight my way through every mission I could find, all alone.

Finally around level 40, I joined a team with 2 other players to knock out one of there missions.

We made it to the final boss, and I noticed my teammates were doing nothing - they were waiting on me to charge in and grab aggro.  Of course, I didnt know this.

Finally one of them said to aggro.  I did, and quickly died.  They asked why I had no defenses and I had no answer.  I didnt know.

Since we couldnt get past the final boss, the team disbanded.  I quickly respected, and plodded my way to my first 50

I once again have a Purple Scorch.  She's a Tank, and knows exactly what she's doing  :)

Confusing Scirocco during an STF, it was funny as hell to see him pound on Ghost Widow, but it also caused the tank to lose agro and a near team wipe. Oops... <.<

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

My entire Dark/Dark scrapper build, begun in issue 0, and it was a long, painful slog to issue 2. and when respec trials arrived, every team I joined failed the trial because everyone was trying to fix their awful builds.

I don't even want to talk about that build.

Making an energy/energy blaster as my first character. My second mistake was leveling her to fifty. I can be quite stubborn determined

Luckily I discovered defenders when my blaster was ten and never looked back.

Energy/Energy is still my favorite blaster. :)

However, I do not often play in large groups, so it is not that big of an issue. When I solo, all that knockback is great. If I'm running with other ranged characters, ditto. If I'm running with melee characters, I try to choose targets more carefully to maximize my usefulness without negating theirs.

I don't know if it's my biggest mistake, but my most recent was respecing my character at level 26 and not double-checking everything before I finalized it.

I would have sworn that I had selected flight, but when I got back into the game there was no travel power to be found.

Now I am going to have to get by with sprint and a jump pack until I hit 28, two more levels, and Heaven forbid I get exemplared for a TF.

I don't know if it's my biggest mistake, but my most recent was respecing my character at level 26 and not double-checking everything before I finalized it.

I would have sworn that I had selected flight, but when I got back into the game there was no travel power to be found.

Now I am going to have to get by with sprint and a jump pack until I hit 28, two more levels, and Heaven forbid I get exemplared for a TF.

Grab a couple friends, do the first mission of Posi 2.  You'll get a jet pack with 60 mins of flight time.  Then dump the tf and use the pack til you hit 28.

Grab a couple friends, do the first mission of Posi 2.  You'll get a jet pack with 60 mins of flight time.  Then dump the tf and use the pack til you hit 28.

Thanks, but I have one.

But an hour of flight time goes by fast for me relative to the XP I may gain in that time.

I am just not in a hurry.  Never have been.  I just spent an hour and change doing a mission arc that was well below my level but that one of my contacts offered me never the less.

No idea why they offered it to me, but I figured "what the heck?".  Got me a souvenir and 0 XP.

Besides, I don't have any friends in the game.

My first character was an energy/energy blaster.  I figured that if guys were flying all over the place, they couldn't hit me, and kicking them back kept me out of melee range. 

So I slotted EVERYTHING for knockback.  I got booted from so many teams before I figured out why.  It took way to long to dawn on me that scrappers and tankers might not have wanted enemies pushed back a mile.

I hear ya.  My first was (and still is) an energy/energy blaster. And while I didn't do anything to increase the natural knockback of several powers, I still managed to piss off the scrappers.

They sound like lame Scrappers. KB all you want, I'll just hop on over and smash them if they aren't defeated.

Yeah, really. KB was never that big of a problem for me and I primarily play scrappers.