The Philotic Knight's Buff Force Fields 1.0!

_NOPE_

13 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

#1 This is a support set. This is not a control or a blast set. I don't see the purpose for turning TWO of the powers into blast set 2.0's, also it borderlines on being ridiculously overpowered for controllers. Hard no vote. At that point, you've nearly made another blast set. The only reason most people likely want it is to get some extra damage from their controller containment procs which isn't what the developers likely intended or would've intended to do for this set.

Gravity Control says hi 😉

I don't think making the "Force" attacks in the set be actually good as an attack is any more harmful than having Lift and Propel in a control set is. It'd be 2 attacks that are sorta/kinda on par with Pri (or Sec) attacks, and FF already has a niche with those powers being proactive mez/attack hybrids. This would be more akin to making it do what it does better already.

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Gravity Control says hi 😉

I don't think making the "Force" attacks in the set be actually good as an attack is any more harmful than having Lift and Propel in a control set is. It'd be 2 attacks that are sorta/kinda on par with Pri (or Sec) attacks, and FF already has a niche with those powers being proactive mez/attack hybrids. This would be more akin to making it do what it does better already.

I can get behind this and be fine with it, I'm not nearly as against improving the damage to those powers (would rather see them do better secondary effects) as I am RUINING the two powers (Detention Field & Repulsion Bubble) in my Force Field kit. Those are actually the two powers that made me CREATE the Defender to BEGIN with. 

I'd actually be spitting mad if that was removed or tweaked. It would literally force me to delete the entire character because of it without apprehension. 

Absolutely hardcore no vote on that. 

Edited by Zeraphia

Stealing an idea from the Gravity Control Pet changes on beta.

Similar to Sonic: Disruption Field, which anchors a AOE -30% resist debuff player. Great for sticking on the tank.

Grav pets are now pulling mobs to them. A reverse Repulsion Field field.

Have it anchor on the aggro sink to help keep mobs clumped.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

Sorry, but to be quite honest...

No. I dislike almost the entirety of all the suggestions of this thread for just some simple reasons...

#1 This is a support set. This is not a control or a blast set. I don't see the purpose for turning TWO of the powers into blast set 2.0's, also it borderlines on being ridiculously overpowered for controllers. Hard no vote. At that point, you've nearly made another blast set. The only reason most people likely want it is to get some extra damage from their controller containment procs which isn't what the developers likely intended or would've intended to do for this set.

#2 This is a set that people have played and enjoyed, therefore I think it's wrong to take away Detention Field's aspect of possibly permanent intangibility if that IS what the player desires to do. They don't want a nerfed toggle version, I certainly wouldn't and I oppose this change. This is a part of "enjoyment" rather than functionality. Also, for lots of people, the T9 AoE repel is desirable for its massive size???

How about instead of trying to improve the damage of a support set, how about you improve its offensive amplifications.

Instead of improving the damage on Force Bolt how about it does a -20% damage resistance in addition to its regular effect?

How about instead of improving the damage of replusion bomb, you add in -20% resistance to that too? Or -def so that you can slot an Achilles in the power and get some juicy proc opportunities?

Maybe add +to hit on the AoE defense power or an interesting damage proc like Electric Affinity?

I love the idea of FB and RB doing a res debuff, especially if a portion of it were unresistable so it could still be effective against AVs. 

Basically anything to lift FF up would be an improvement. At end game, so many melee heroes are already near maximum def/res, and bubbles do little (or less) to help. AVs shrug off knockback (and most other debuffs to be fair), so FF has a very diminished end-game role. FF is great through the mid levels, but that’s less than half of the game. 

FF already has a deficit of solo-friendly powers. So anything that both helped the team and was still a benefit while soloing would be great.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

Stealing an idea from the Gravity Control Pet changes on beta.

Similar to Sonic: Disruption Field, which anchors a AOE -30% resist debuff player. Great for sticking on the tank.

Grav pets are now pulling mobs to them. A reverse Repulsion Field field.

Have it anchor on the aggro sink to help keep mobs clumped.

If Repulsion Bomb kept its damage and knocked mobs into a pile, that would be a unique and fun mechanic. Right now mine is slotted with kb->kd just to avoid mob scatter. 

Upping the KB scale for Force Bolt and making it knockup instead of knockback would also make it a better soft control power. A Mag 2 stun proc would also be cool. 

Again, anything to make FF better would be superb. 

• 1 month later
On 4/7/2021 at 5:13 PM, greenbodice said:

Right now mine is slotted with kb->kd

Repulsion bomb has been natively knockdown with no IO needed for a good long while

I like the idea of a stun on Force Bolt, but it would look a bit silly for it to knock something up in the air. 

58 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I like the idea of a stun on Force Bolt, but it would look a bit silly for it to knock something up in the air.

It could work if its aimed at their feet.

So I'll just add in the changes I have been mulling over in my head for a while. I'll add that I play Force Field on a Mastermind and not a defender so differences in playstyle might impact what I would like to see.

1. Personal Force Field - Change values so the player retains a small buff while combat suppressed and attacking, add some ticks of +absorb. Basically it’s fine for niche cases but would like to have it as an always on shield with option to turtle up.
2. Deflection Shield - Same for Ally. Foe -DEF(Smash, Lethal, Melee), -Res(Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative,Toxic) and DoT(Toxic). Increase recharge time. With this I want to make it a power that also debuffs as the inverse of what it does to an ally and add minor damage.
3. Force Bolt - Moderate DMG(Energy) Minor damage boost and I like more energy damage in the theme.
4. Insulation Shield - Same for Ally. Foe -DEF(Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative, Ranged, AoE), -Res(End Drain) -Endurance -Regeneration. Increase recharge time. With this I want to make it a power that also debuffs as the inverse of what it does to an ally.
5. Detention Field - Change to a hold + damage.
6. Dispersion Bubble - Add Sleep protection, add some ticks of +absorb
7. Repulsion Field - Add minor DoT(Energy). Reduce end cost. I actually use this on one of my Masterminds a ton. The changes would make it useful for others.
8. Repulsion Bomb - Lower the animation time and change damage to mixed Smash/Energy
9. Force Bubble - Reduce radius by half. Add minor DoT(Energy). It’s too large for my uses. Smaller and a little more damage never hurts me at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later

I love all of your OP suggestions @The Philotic Knight . I especially like [Force Bubble] being reduced radius and increased magnitude, and [Repulsion Field] being reduced cost.  Those two alone would greatly improve things for everyone.

I also can get behind @ironjoe's idea of foe debuffs, depending on the numbers involved.  One of the strengths of a Defender over a Corruptor or Mastermind is that Defender buffs and debuffs are stronger, and this would help encourage things like FF/Electric Defenders.

1 hour ago, agentx5 said:

I love all of your OP suggestions @The Philotic Knight . I especially like [Force Bubble] being reduced radius and increased magnitude, and [Repulsion Field] being reduced cost.  Those two alone would greatly improve things for everyone.

I also can get behind @ironjoe's idea of foe debuffs, depending on the numbers involved.  One of the strengths of a Defender over a Corruptor or Mastermind is that Defender buffs and debuffs are stronger, and this would help encourage things like FF/Electric Defenders.

I more recently created another alternative but I think the biggest help in any change would be adding on a debuff to bring more on par with Ice shields.