The Philotic Knight's Buff Force Fields 1.0!

_NOPE_

5 hours ago, Auroxis said:

It would lower the proc chance from 72% to 41% (on Defender), and make it less consistent. The end result would be about the same DPS if you use it when it's up, but less reliability. To explain my reasoning:

Maybe I'm missing something here. Repulsion has a 15' radius, base 30/s cooldown, and... animation of 3... 3.07/s.

Probability to Proc = PPM * (MRT+ CastTime) / (60 * AreaMod)

Sphere (PBAoE or Target AoE):     AF = 1 + 0.15 * Radius 

AreaMod = 0.25 + 0.75 * AF

AF = 3.25

Area Mod = 2.6875

If I do in-game with a 3.5 PPM with no recharge enhancement:

3.5*(30+3.07)/(60*2.6875)

115.745/161.25 = 71.8%

If I add just 66% recharge to bring the power into a reasonable realm:

3.5*(21.14)/161.25 = 45.9%

Using the modified 16/s window with not recharge (since there wouldn't need to be): 41.4%

Every percentage of recharge added to make Repulsion Bomb more reasonable (in its current state in-game) is ticking down on its probability. If I move it to 85% recharge, it drops to 41.8%.

It's one thing to try and play a power towards procs, but the game isn't designed to be built around them, and excluding procs, Repulsion is a terrible power in its current state, and isn't a worth while power at a 30/s (or greater) recharge. Bringing it in line leave it right where it should be, with the same probability it would've had based on recharge enhancement.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Repulsion is a terrible power in its current state

Your opinion, and I don't share it. In fact, my current main, playing incarnate content right now, is happily facing even con mobs of size x8 Using a rotation of Repulsion Bomb, Short Circuit, and Ball Lightning. Sure, it's not instant kill, but most of the mobs die after about two of these rotations. I'm not "uber l337" by any sense, but it seems a reasonable "kill pace" to me solo-ing...

• Like 2
I'm out.

16 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

If I add just 66% recharge to bring the power into a reasonable realm:

3.5*(21.14)/161.25 = 45.9%

Using the modified 16/s window with not recharge (since there wouldn't need to be): 41.4%

The recharge is already in a reasonable realm with set bonuses/hasten/ff proc.

No need to enhance it and neuter its greatest strength.

16 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

It's one thing to try and play a power towards procs, but the game isn't designed to be built around them, and excluding procs, Repulsion is a terrible power in its current state, and isn't a worth while power at a 30/s (or greater) recharge. Bringing it in line leave it right where it should be, with the same probability it would've had based on recharge enhancement.

Sure, but PPM mechanics have been a thing for a while and players are already utilizing it. You can buff Repulsion Bomb without messing up people's builds.

I actually really like Detention Field as-is. If a group is sitting around to wait for one enemy, that's on them -- why not leave it there and move on to the next? It will add later but it's only one more enemy, so who really cares?

From the point of view of a Corruptor with forcefields... I'm perfectly capable of watching for it and shooting it down when it shows up.

• Like 2

Super easy fixes for FF. Short edition.

PFF - Fine

Deflection Field - Add DDR

Insulation Field - Add -Slow/-Recharge resist

Force bolt - Add -10%res debuff (on defenders), if possible (mechanically) add greater % -res if target resists knock back (Say 18.75% total)

Detention field - Have it act like the injection power from medicine.  Affects enemies with a cage (leaves the power as is) gives allies a very large absorb shield say 50% base HP, with a 120 second duration.

Repulsion field - Add -15% damage debuff, lower end cost

Repulsion Bomb - Add minor -res / -defense to the power. Say -10% res/ -15% def for 12-15 seconds.  Increase values for KB resistant foes.

Force Bubble - Add a strong ticking absorb shield (similar to what sentinel regen gets at the moment) for allies inside in addition to the repel effects.

Say ~30 base absorb per second that stacks up to maybe 50% of allies base HP.  

FF stays a top tier buff / survivability set, gets a little utility and layering and a tier 9 that is useful to be in.  If you were feeling really generous, you could add in a small damage buff or something for standing inside force bubble as well, nothing crazy maybe 25%. 

• Like 4

Late to this thread, oh well.

I, personally, would love for Insulation Shield and Deflection Shield to be able to affect self.  Then, make them PBAoE, instead of targeted AoE, with a nice large AoE.

Then, I would actually like to play Force Field.

Edited by Caulderone
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Caulderone said:

I, personally, would love for Insulation Shield and Deflection Shield to be able to affect self.  Then, make them PBAoE, instead of targeted AoE, with a nice large AoE.

Finally!  FINALLY!!  FINALLY!!!  Somebody addressed the elephant in the room.

Self Buff.  To truly be like the comics, FF needs to self buff, just like Sue can.

PFF becomes permeable with suppression.

Or quite simply?  Like the poster above (Caulderone said....)  MAKE THE GDM, FFs (Def' or Ins' self buff.)  It's the one thing, yes, the one thing that would elevate the FF choice for def's and make more play it.  It's so frustrating to buff tanks (who barely need it....), (blasters who get and and become g*d), Scrappers (who, let's face it, don't need it...)

In the way that Sentinels become 'blast scrapper' types....

Defenders could become 'blast tank' types.

The tank has a .7 melee damage index.

The defender has a range .6 damage index.

The defender would be a much more potent AT this way.  A 'control' tank.  Self buff.  To allow a defender to truly tank on (sorry, I mean, ahem, take on...heh, heh, heh....) a more Offender role oft talked about.

How can the only member of the team not get those potent buffs?  Especially when the defender has the HPs of a can of beans?  Can't hit hard, can't defend themselves too well.  (Eg.  Dispersion Field's paper think defence - even with SOs.

The way me and my duo partner circumvent this limitation of the Defender is to x2 FFs with a different 2ndary each.  That way, we can buff each other with Insulation/Deflection shields.  It's a potent combination that circumvent this 'design flaw' in the Defender AT.  Sure, we end up tethered at the ankle.  But that makes us work harder for one another for greater overall success.

Yes.  Self buff is the anchor keystone to transform the utility of the Defender class.  Tanks, Scrappers and Sentinels can apply defences to them selves.  And they have so much damage and defence and the knock down protection etc...

'What he said.'

Golden Azrael.

21 hours ago, Dan Petro said:

Super easy fixes for FF. Short edition.

PFF - Fine  (ERm.  Blast out of it with some suppression?)

Deflection Field - Add DDR  (SELF BUFF!!!)

Insulation Field - Add -Slow/-Recharge resist  (SELF BUFF!!!!)

Force bolt - Add -10%res debuff (on defenders), if possible (mechanically) add greater % -res if target resists knock back (Say 18.75% total)  100% to hit and -res?  SOLD!

Detention field - Have it act like the injection power from medicine.  Affects enemies with a cage (leaves the power as is) gives allies a very large absorb shield say 50% base HP, with a 120 second duration.  (Innovative idea.  I like it, sing it again!)

Repulsion field - Add -15% damage debuff, lower end cost  *(Yes, please.  With LOWERED END COST.  Agreed.)

Repulsion Bomb - Add minor -res / -defense to the power. Say -10% res/ -15% def for 12-15 seconds.  Increase values for KB resistant foes.  (Rep Bomb in it's current form?  Sucks.  My idea?  How about....we keep it as a ranged force field power....buttt.....make it hit any target as the epicentre for a NOVA style blast.  Then it would truly 'BomB!' because in it's current form..?  Meh. A damp squib.  It's no 'bomb.'  It's a let down.  A GDM disgrace.  Get out the door!  ie.  A placable 'Nova' Energy style in terms of the BOOM.  Like a shockwave of bodies.  A bit like Ex Blast's effect but with 100% boom! of  a Nova.  Bodies everywhere.  Give us the bomb!  This power needs the volume turned up.  Ages to activate and then?  'Phhhheeeep.'

Force Bubble - Add a strong ticking absorb shield (similar to what sentinel regen gets at the moment) for allies inside in addition to the repel effects.  (Amen to that.)

Say ~30 base absorb per second that stacks up to maybe 50% of allies base HP.  (You had me at hello.)

FF stays a top tier buff / survivability set, gets a little utility and layering and a tier 9 that is useful to be in.  If you were feeling really generous, you could add in a small damage buff or something for standing inside force bubble as well, nothing crazy maybe 25%.  Somebody said FF was Tier 3 i.e. One of the worst Defender primaries.  :/  Cruel.  But I can see what they're getting at.  It can seem a bit 1 dimensional.  And you can't self buff.  Compared to the effects of Radiation's toggles....and 'clicks' FF feels a bit, well, naked?  Self buff would compensate for that. 

My thoughts in red.

Golden Azrael.

21 hours ago, Dan Petro said:

• Chaos Bubble
    • Alternate field to Force Bubble, swaps to 50% chance to KD, 20% chance to Stun in the large field, 5 damage every 2/s.
    • "Shifting your focus from your allies to your enemies you put all your energy into making tiny force pellets, pummeling those who enter your Chaos Bubble and knocking them down. The pellets move so fast they'll do minor smashing damage, and possibly hit hard enough to disorient an enemy."
    • Gives Dispersion Bubble:
      • "Dispersion Bubble is your ultimate domain, an enemy who manages to make it this close will feel the full force of what your fields can do."
      • Force Bolt and Repulsion Bomb Doublehit.
      • 100% chance to KD

I like this idea.  A lot.  That, to me, should be what Repulsion 'Bomb' (damp squib....) should be.  The chaos bringer.  Great idea.  That way, 'Bomb' could sync with Force Bubble.

I'll have to read the rest of your ideas in detail.  And do your post justice.

I think, Repulsion Bomb, could also have you at the centre.  Turn off Personal FF.  Click 'Bomb' and there's a NOVA BOOM of bodies everywhere.  With maybe the current Rep Bomb animation casting over your body.  It may look more effective that way.

Golden Azrael.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, Tath99 said:

There are some very interesting ideas in the last few pages of this thread.

I would like to add the following train of thought:

1)  If you squint and consider the ideals of a Force Fielder in the comics, they often draw very close to the COH concept of the Tanker archetype.  The Force Fielder takes a considerable amount of punishment to protect the innocent / themselves / the team.  It would be very interesting if any reconsiderations gave a nod to this.

2)  The Force Field powerset suffers from a dearth of opportunities for IO sets and slotting.  Numerous powers do not take IO's nor offer any benefit for deeply investing in slots or sets.  I would strongly suggest therefore, any proposed changes consider what IO sets might go where, and how diversity might be created in Force Field defenders.

With the above in mind, is there perhaps scope for Taunt effects to be added to Force Field defenders powers?  Is there scope for a Force Field defender to be in the unique position to act as a bridge between the Defender & Tanker classes - acting as an Off-Tank?

Consider:

Force Bolt - Add a Taunt effect.  Add the capacity to add a Taunt IO set.

Force Bubble - Add a Taunt effect.  Add the capacity to add a Taunt IO set.

Detention Field - Add a Taunt effect.  Add the capacity to add a Taunt IO set.

All of a sudden a FF defender / user is in the unique position of 'rolling the dice'.  They can choose to slot their powers for taunt effectiveness and play a defence / risk strategy of taunting enemies into testing their own force field creations.

This would have the additional benefit of rounding out Force Field Masterminds giving them added capacity to draw attention away from team-mates and minions.  Controllers too might benefit from broadening their role.

As a caveat, I would also suggest each AT might have a different base Taunt value to their powers.  I would also suggest the base value should be weak enough that the average Tank would be able to overstep such a Taunt value -- unless the FF user went out of their way and slotted for Taunt / applied multiple applications of Taunting powers.

It's a fine idea, right there.  it adds to the depth of the set.  You can 'kinda tank' with Force Bubble on....and then rush back to hide behind a corner, put PFF on....wait for gather, then PFF off and NOVA BOOM!

However, having some taunt effects on eg. FB, FB and DF make sound sense to me....IF(!)

We can address the main thing holding the Defender back.  Self Buff!  That makes your suggestion of 'taunt' on certain powers very possible and in keeping.

It allows the rise of the much muted 'off class' OFFENDER to power.  You get to tank in a different way.  A control tank.

Good idea.

Another idea for Force Bold that would be fun would be a force feedback proc' where the power fires again so you get a double bounce now and again.  Me?  I love knock back.  The more?  The better.  *(waves stick.)

Golden Azrael.

16 hours ago, Caulderone said:

I'd be concerned that it'd make us OP. There's a good element of risk with using powers like Force Bubble and Repulsion Field that it already draws aggro to you. If you add those Defense buffs to yourself, you become a ranged tank.... what Sentinel MIGHT have been if it had higher buff numbers - a tankmage. Sure, it'd be fun as HELL to play like a god, but then... where's the risk? Everyone would just start rolling FFers and nothing else, since they'd be OP compared to others. At least, that's my concern.

• Like 1
I'm out.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Shamelessly inspired by Trickshooter's thread, I'd like to present my suggestions for buffing/changing my favorite set.

My experience is that of a Mainoholic. I've played almost nothing BUT FF/Elec for the better part of 6 YEARS, recreating my namesake on EVERY server (deleting and recreating multiple times on Freedom, Justice, Guardian, and Virtue after I got him to 50). All in all, I estimate that I've played Force Fields for at LEAST a THOUSAND levels (Ten-ish servers times 50 levels, times recreating on a few other servers several times over). So, I know this set INTIMATELY. I've played on teams, solo, task forces, trials, PuGs, Hami Raids... every possible situation... minus PvP. That's my experience. I like to think I'm qualified to speak on this.

Now, I know I've said in the past many MANY times that Force Fields is fine as-is... well it IS. It's FINE. But that's all that it is, it's fine. It's not overpowered, it's not amazing. It's... just.... fine. Well, do we want fine, or do we want our sets to be AMAZING and fun to play with? This is me admitting that my favorite set is in fact NOT perfect, and could use some... adjustments.

So here's what I suggest with these powers from the perspective of a Force Field Defender. I can't speak to the set under other ATs, so I'm assuming that the Defender also has a blast set that does 2/3rds the damage of a Blaster (minus Vigilance bonus). This is going with the design philosophy of "only make the bare minimum changes that require the least amount of work to accomplish". So, it'll be mostly number tweaking. I don't KNOW the actual numbers, so I won't be talking straight numbers, but rather relative numbers. And I made these decisions all based on "feel" and intuition, rather than any sort of min/maxing, because that's how I roll. These suggestions are COLOR CODED to match what I feel are the extent of the power changes.

[*]Personal Force Field - Don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does. I love the new "can interact with things in the world, but it makes it suppressed but doesn't de-toggle". I don't know if SCoRE added this, or if it was added after I left in 2010, but it's AWESOME.  (Agreed.)

[*]Deflection Shield - Don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does. I love the new "AoE" aspect to the power. I don't know if SCoRE added this, or if it was added after I left in 2010, but it's AWESOME.  (Yeah, but you can't self buff.  So, it's a 'eh EH!'  Good for others.  But where's my sachet?  My self buff to protect my can of beans HPs?)

[*]Force Bolt - This is a beautiful power for what it does, but I've found that at higher levels, there's less and less reason to use it, especially after I get Repulsion Field. So, let's make it more useful throughout the character's career. Ramp up the minuscule damage to that of a Tier 1 Blast power, and add a chance to disorient. Basically, I want this to become a "clone" of the "new" Repulsion Bomb, but single target and STILL does Knockback by default rather than Knockdown (someone can slot the KB>KD IO if they want to drop it down). Since it's a precision power, let's give it just a little more "oomph" and utility by upping it's power a bit and just a LITTLE bit more control to it. Force Field Defenders are NOT known for adding damage to a team... well, let's change that, just a little bit. Let's make this power useful in a standard attack chain, and it will also make it more useful for FF solders.  (Dis' and damage?  Cool idea.  A precision scalpel of damaging disorient.  Yes please.  I love this power.  I want a double bounce proc' element to it as well.  Why?  KNBK is fun.  I have a black sense of humour with bodies flying around.)

[*]Insulation Shield - Don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does. I love the new "AoE" aspect to the power. I don't know if SCoRE added this, or if it was added after I left in 2010, but it's AWESOME.  (Sorry, it will be 'perfect' WHEN it self buffs.  Why, me, the can of beans of HPs can't self buff when the Tank, who doesn't need more to his dish of plenty gets a juicy power I can't access?  I'm a defender of FF power....yet I haven't figured out how to apply Def/Ins' to myself?  But I've figured out how to give myself a PFF with insane Defence and Res' but standing there like a gooseberry?)

[*]Detention Field - The "glass dome of DOOM" needs to change the way it works. I think this is the most problematic ability of the set. Either take off the "intangibility" aspect entirely and just change the effect into a regular "hold" while keeping the glass dome animation, OR reduce the length of the effect to a quarter of what it is. Modern CoX teams move TOO quick for this power to be useful as-is on teams, as most teams have already obliterated the rest of the mobs well before it releases, and they end up sitting there frustrated waiting for it to lift. Also, bump up the Immobilize mag to make it a PERFECT immobilize that will root ANY mob all the way up to AV to the spot, if you don't want to make it a Hold, that is.  (Not sure I like this idea.  The 'this is how we roll groups have no time for Trip Mines or Detention.  I don't agree we have to change these powers for the 'Meal time at Simpsons' brigade.  For those who like to play a more considered game of 'chess' the Detention field is a revelation.  A threat?  He's taken out of the conflict while we address his minions and then, we wait...OH YES, we wait cos we're going to give him a Churchillian beating when the DF drops. 😄  Add a -res element to it.)

[*]Dispersion Bubble - Don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does.  (Maybe. Maybe not.   I'd argue to boost the def' numbers a lot more.  L50 and you're def' is a piddling 16%?  No HPs and hit like a lettuce?  Make Defenders more potent.  Self buff.  Nearly capped by L50.  Self buff with Def'/Ins' and Disp adding to 40% by L50.

[*]Repulsion Field - Drop the toggle endurance cost by half. Otherwise, don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does. It can just be a bit pricey to keep up at all times. The fact that ranged attackers are not stopped by this power, and melee attackers can still usually get a swipe in before being knocked back makes this already a well balanced power. Let's just make it a bit cheaper to keep on at all times, with the other toggles this set has in it.  (I didn't like this on live.  But now I've figured the art of 'active' toggle management.  However, that said?  Reduce the end cost.  It's a bit steep.)

[*]Repulsion Bomb - Bump the damage to that of a Blaster Tier 3 Blast, or a Blaster Tier 1 AoE attack damage, like Fire Ball (minus the DoT of course). Let's make this feel like a BOMB. Since you get this at level 26, let's make the damage at LEAST as strong as the damage a Blaster would get from their level 12 power. Mobs should feel it, a bit. Otherwise, leave everything else alone, Castle left this in a good place, but I feel like Force Fields just needs a little more damage "oomph", and this would help, a lot.  (This power sucks.  It's no 'bomb.'  It's a damp squib.  Run the animation on self.  Nova style boom of bodies.  Or hurl a genuine 'nova bomb' on a mob target and bodies truly scatter energy nova style.  So you get the effects of an energy nova maybe off a faster casting 'Bomb.'  It's slow and weak and visually meh.)

[*]Force Bubble - This one is simple, for a Force Field Defender. The effect is AWESOME. It's a truly Gandalf "you shall not PASS" power. It's just got two problems - it's not strong enough, and it's too damn big. Let's fix both. Reduce the size of the bubble to a quarter of what it is... to about half the size of Dispersion Field, and increase the MAG of the Repel effect by a factor of maybe... two? I don't know what number should be there, but this is the effect that I want :NOTHING should be able to push through this bubble all the way up to the Defender EXCEPT an AV. Period. As the ultimate power in the set, it should feel POWERFUL. Thus, I think it should have a SUBSTANTIALLY smaller diameter, but have a stronger force/power to keep things OUT of that diameter.  (Agreed.  Agreed and did I say that I agreed?  AVs only.  Yes.  It could stand being dispersion bubble smaller IF it becomes twice as potent.  I want to add some defence numbers to it as well.  Ins/Def/Dis and FB all add up to 45% soft cap at L50?  It feels almost powerful.  Maybe a dis', minor dam tick to it and -res as well.)

And that, is how I would buff Force Fields. Make it a set that's more useful in more situations and is beyond fine, is amazing, just like many other sets out there, while NOT replacing any powers with new powers or animations, just tweaking some numbers. What say you... did I go too far? Not far enough? /JRanger? Please suggest your own changes in this thread if you wish. My one stipulation is this - please keep in my design philosophy and The Cottage Rule and DO NOT replace powers wholesale with newly constructed powers. This is CoX Force Fields. If you want it to be another set entirely, or to change almost everything about it, then make your own thread and suggest your own new set.

Decent post, Mr. Knight.  I approve of you efforts.

Golden Azrael.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I'd be concerned that it'd make us OP. There's a good element of risk with using powers like Force Bubble and Repulsion Field that it already draws aggro to you. If you add those Defense buffs to yourself, you become a ranged tank.... what Sentinel MIGHT have been if it had higher buff numbers - a tankmage. Sure, it'd be fun as HELL to play like a god, but then... where's the risk? Everyone would just start rolling FFers and nothing else, since they'd be OP compared to others. At least, that's my concern.

*chuckles somewhat.

My duo partner and myself played the ITF (and other 40s - 50 content.)  and whilst you're safer against even cons, the higher the diff' e.g. against rad bots?  Psi?  Or almost anything which isn't smashing?  FF, even with us buffing each other and two dis fields running....we're far from being 'over powered' and we've been humbled a 'few times.'

A ranged tank.  That's the idea. 🙂

A control tank.  maybe it's just another flavour of tank or controller.  But I think it's a valid 'Offender' idea.  As opposed to being slapped around when playing solo.  Currently defence on FF is weak and mediocre (along with mediocre damage....) vs any 40s/50s content.

Tank Mage.  I like the sound of that.

Sure, it would be fun to play.  That's the idea.  The tanks, scrappers and brutes

Look at Blasters.  They got their self buff didn't they?  And insta snipes.  (Got three, Ice, En and fire....)    It's been transformation for the class.

Like wise, Defenders are long over due this simple 'address the element in the room' problem.

It's at the very heart of the defender problem.  Especially on the FF power.

You'd hardly be a 'god' but more a junior tank.  You don't get the buffet of varied defences or regen or stamina tricks a WP tank gets.  Or the Res' and def' tricks an INvul tank gets.  When def' cracks, it really cracks.  

Wandering around with 16% on Disp Bubble (and that's it?) on the streets of P.I?  Sounds like suicide to me.

Campaign for Self Buff!  Let's the make the defender great again.  (Wait, was it ever great in the first place?)

Either way.  It's like the cinderella of ATs.  Forcerella.  I coined it.

Golden Azrael.

Yeah, what Sentinel has done for 'blasters' is create a blaster with the defences of a tank.

Like wise.  A defender with self buff wouldn't have the defences of a tank but that's be a darn good junior tank especially if some of the FF powers added taunt IO slotting.

Golden Azrael.

• 1 month later

Wow just stumbled upon this thread and read through it all. I had an Ill/ff troller back in live which I enjoyed, but as IO's came out it was essentially shelves as everyone builds for defense. I've recently rolled a fire/ff troller.

Of all the suggestions that I read through, I think the ones with the most merit at least in my opinion were as follows in order of priority would be:

1). Self Buffs with Deflection and Insulation.

2). DDR with PFF, Deflection, Insulation, and Dispersion.

3). The Absorb mechanic coming into Dispersion.

4). An incremental Defense Debuff on enemies inside the range of Force Bubble.

Regardless which changes one favors, I think we can all agree that FF needs some love.

• Like 1

• 1 month later
On 6/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, Trickshooter said:

+1

I also have a couple suggestions from my Big Ol' Spreadsheet of Support Powers:

Deflection Shield - Add Scale 0.5 unenhanceable Defense Debuff Resistance (so 21.65% for Defenders at level 50, 17.3% for Controllers/Corruptors, 13% for MM)

Insulation Shield - Add 50% Recharge/Slow Resistance

Force Bubble - Add a base 20% Damage Debuff (so 25% for Defenders, 20% for Controllers/Corruptors, 15% for MM) so Force Bubble has an effect that works on enemies that resist the Repel

I think that some of these, if implemented, would do well to take into account that the mez res from dispersion bubble, and, the stun duration of repulsion bomb is higher on trollers. Just mentioning it so the changes take AT into consideration.

On 8/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, Golden Azrael said:

Yeah, what Sentinel has done for 'blasters' is create a blaster with the defences of a tank.

As a player of Tankers and a few Sentinels, I'd like to point out Sents have neither the damage of Blasters nor the durability of Tankers -- not by a long shot.  They are slightly less durable than Scrappers (which IMHO is appropriate) and have significantly lower damage, range and AoE caps than Blasters.

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later

Just dropping by to say that I really like a lot of your suggestions, Philotic - they keep in line with how I myself have played the power-set while also adding some quality of life improvements that enhance them further.

I'll admit that while some suggestions such as an absorb mechanic do sound nice, they certainly aren't necessary for Force Field to function; reading your guide to Force Fields, and indeed, playing through the game, it does feel like the power-set is a balance of defense granting abilities, control, and enemy positional manipulation.

Your suggestions all seem focused on making Force Field better at those things, which I appreciate, and agree with a lot. With that said, here's my own thoughts on the improvements you've laid down, on what I myself would like (everything else I haven't mentioned I'd approve of, basically):

Detention Field: Having a guaranteed way of taking an enemy out of the fight is a potent ability, if a conditional one, makes it fill a niche that a regular hold doesn't (which I very much appreciate). Duration can indeed be problematic in groups, though the fact that ideal targets for the power tend to be resistant to status effects, and thus have them last a shorter period of time, potentially mitigates this.

Reducing the duration + recharge of the power does make sense. A toggle might be a nice option as well, or even just a way to cancel a currently present Detention Field. Having a high enough magnitude to completely deny an AV action at all sounds very fun: seal them off for later, deal with their lackeys in the meantime, before engaging. Still needs to be used judiciously, but can now be applied in more situations that could potentially benefit from it.

In summary:

• Higher magnitude (even AVs?)
  • Means of cancelling early/re-implement as toggle
  • Lower recharge/duration?
  • Do the same for Sonic Cage of course!

Force Bubble: This power, to paraphrase your statements on it, acts as an absolute positional power, moving enemies across the battlefield. As such, I think that your potential improvements on it are one piece of the puzzle. In its current state, Force Bubble is quite useful as a general keepaway power - it's a great way of herding mobs into corners and the like, with a large enough radius to keep them in place without too much worry. However, I very much like the idea of having a smaller version that has a stronger repel/you shall not pass effect.

So I think combining these two powers into two different 'modes' might be quite interesting, allowing a character to switch between each effect when needed, perhaps in the form of a popup temporary power. Additionally, an even wider range, weaker repel effect might be quite interesting. It'd stop minions/lieutenants getting close (to the point of not being able to use ranged attacks), but let stronger enemies bypass them - a 'you shall not pass' of a different kind. Kind of like an inverse of Detention Field, that you're cordoning off minions and lieutenants for later, to focus on the main, stronger threats.

In summary:

• Switchable modes to change the way that Force Bubble works dynamically
  • Regular Force Bubble = same radius, same magnitude
  • Focused Force Bubble = smaller radius, higher magnitude, slow to prevent faster enemies pushing through?
  • Diffuse Force Bubble = larger radius (out of range of most ranged attacks), lower magnitude (bosses and up can pass through)

Thought it might be nice to put down my thoughts on them both - definitely love a lot of those improvements you've proposed, Philotic! The caveat here though is the fact that I play the powerset on Controllers; my experiences, and thus viewpoint on the set likely vary somewhat as a result. Hope these opinions garner some discussion!

Edited by Blackfeather
Added missing word.
  • Thanks 1