Schrodinger's Market: Wait, this sells for how much?

Sarrate

That hardly sounds like a bug, that's a feature...

Ouch...When you gotta have it now, you gotta have it now...

Edited by justicebeliever

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Some kind souls paid me 16 mil each for two. I’m not going to lie, I’m happy, but concerned. At the moment it makes more money to try and convert into them to sell on the off chance some pour soul will help fund my altitis. 

I'm guessing that the true problem is that the market is not reliably posting the last 5 sales info.  If a buyer comes into the market and doesn't see the last 5 sales but remembers that the item sold for 15 million last week they might go ahead and bid 15 million.

Information is power.  We need that window to reliably show the last 5 sales every. single. time.

I wish I'd made a note of what it was specifically, but I had to purchase an ATO (Defender I think) completely blind.  This time the last 5 always showed a much lower price, something in the 6 figure range.  I never ever got an accurate result for last 5 sales.

This is probably #1 on my "gotta fix it" list.  I personally am not affected because by now I can sniff out an erroneous display but certainly others are.  Though, now that I think about it, I probably am affected occasionally and just don't realize it.

#IStandWithFlea

While on this topic, high on my "this would be nice" list is a more extensive showing of recent sales.  I know that technically, it's more data to traffic, but I think 100 sales would be a lot more representative of an item's fair market value.

21 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

While on this topic, high on my "this would be nice" list is a more extensive showing of recent sales.  I know that technically, it's more data to traffic, but I think 100 sales would be a lot more representative of an item's fair market value.

Last 5 and average of last 100 maybe?  Or if screen space is a premium, last 4 and average of X last sales.

What I would like is to see a REAL auction house. One where you set a min. price and an end date for the bidding. People bid on it and the highest bidder gets it. If you want, and I assume most people would do it this way, you can add an "immediate purchase" price. Similar to many eBay auctions.

The AH could make a suggestion on this based off of the last 50, 100 or "N" sales of that item, but it would be whatever the seller deems fit. If someone pays that they get it right away.

That would be a bit more overhead, though, and so I don't see the devs implementing that any time soon.

I can only assume the original design concept was to keep the coding as simple as possible while allowing things to go up and sell immediately by just setting the hidden min price and then it goes to whoever is willing to pay more than that. But this just hides so much information that for anything but the most popular items the prices fluctuate so wildly that you never know how much something will sell for from one day to the next.

7 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

I can only assume the original design concept was to keep the coding as simple as possible while allowing things to go up and sell immediately by just setting the hidden min price and then it goes to whoever is willing to pay more than that. But this just hides so much information that for anything but the most popular items the prices fluctuate so wildly that you never know how much something will sell for from one day to the next.

It also makes the mini-game more entertaining.  Marketing is more than just a way for everyone to get whatever they want whenever they want it.  It's a form of PvP.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

7 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Last 5 and average of last 100 maybe?  Or if screen space is a premium, last 4 and average of X last sales.

I can dig it.  Heck I'd be content with last 100 averaged offline periodically (nightly, weekly?) and used for this purpose.  5 is just too few to paint an accurate picture (that is, if those 5 numbers are accurate).

While I would love a little more history (I'd be fine with last 4, and average of last 10 or 15 even), I really just want the data to be there when I pull up the item and for it to be correct...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting