Data Collection Issues [Resolved]

Jimmy

On 4/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, Amber said:

By law they've got to record chat channels, patriot act stuff.

You're talking about section 215, right? I always found this to be a pretty funny response, and I think you'll dig it too. 

So section 215 gave them the ability to get any communication as well as patron records from business right? I was beginning to work in libraries during this time, and the general rule people forget is that you honestly don't mess with librarians when dealing with information and privacy. Or probably lots of other things, but definitely those. So what it did not do was require companies to keep those records for any definite or indefinite amount of time. So libraries' response on whole: destroy all patron records when materials are returned. And there wasn't anything that could be done about it, though some agents fumed over this.

It didn't work for things people had currently checked out, but it certainly prevented what you read in the past from being used against you.

• Like 1

I was going through my city of heros file recently and found a text file that was a log of a private conversation between a freind and myself and was surprised as it had the conveaersation word for word

EMERALD STAR PUB DISCORD: 

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub

48 minutes ago, Caemgen said:

There are options to save chat logs.  Check and make sure you have that turned off?

With it being on your comp I'm assuming it's your option that is saving it.  Options -> Windows -> Chat -> then there is the option to enable or disable Log Chat AND Separately Log Private Messages

aaaah ok thanks was just wondering about it.

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub

No offense.  But turning off minimal logging is "unwise".

As has been noted, you've now made it so that all moderation is nothing but arbitrary fudging by admins and mods over dueling hearsay.

IP addresses are ephemeral enough in most cases as to be meaningless outside of a very short term.
And a chat log would do some euro-censor no good.  Especially if the server isn't being run from the EU.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

14 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

No offense.  But turning off minimal logging is "unwise".

As has been noted, you've now made it so that all moderation is nothing but arbitrary fudging by admins and mods over dueling hearsay.

IP addresses are ephemeral enough in most cases as to be meaningless outside of a very short term.
And a chat log would do some euro-censor no good.  Especially if the server isn't being run from the EU.

There are options client side and server side.

the most recent post on here was about client side saving of chat logs.

but just above those posts, GM Capocollo, reminds us that this is a very old thread, and that server side logging was restored since the initial thread was started.

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

ok im going to throw my two cents in on this argument..... in a way i can agree with the ip logging thing and in a way i cannot.  Both ways can be abused but let's look at the issue for before we go for against.  A few years back I read of a program the feds were ruining in which a bunch of them were playing warcraft during office hours.  Why you might ask?  To try and catch chatter from terrorists that do secret chatting between them.  Laugh if you must but I have been into computers since I was a boy thanks to my father and kept up to date in computer security theories and attacks by hackers online and so forth but A number of years ago I got to thinking this could be possible.

I mean who would expect a guy from say isis who preachers against outsiders and there influence to secretly meet in the lions pride in goldshire with his buddy and have a private coded chat with his Buddy on the other side of the world.  except I was thinking they would use more like private game servers such like the run we all play on here.  Lot harder to identify and track as they are not run by one huge corporation server.  Should this happen or anything else distinctly like drug deals and so forth i agree there ips should be tracked and if caught handed over to the cops as well as chat laws.  But only if the cops can prove to the admins of that server without a doubt the player name and evidence something is going on.

How ever to the part about it being abused.  Say you had these ip's and chat logs of say a wealthy well off player happily married and he was caught doing some #ahem# role play with a female player.  Or as the saying goes that beautiful girl you see online could be a beautiful man playing one offline lol.  Now im not saying nor accusing the home comeing team of this im just saying that say in future you had one bad gm in the bunch.  Now he somehow got a hold of these logs and tracked down said married man with his ip address and threatened to black mail him?  Or worse.  im just making an argument for the prospect of against the logging.  That and it would intrude on a holy hell of a number of things privacy concerns chat logging.

either way you look at it its a very very very fine line that has to be balanced carefully and one slip could pose a hell of a lot of problems not only for the one that crossed it but our server in general

Edited by EmeraldFox

Emerald Star Pub