Is your old favourite AT still your favourite AT?

Legree

This is like asking me to pick a favorite child... :'(

But if I had a last will and testament in CoH, I would leave all my Inf to the Old Scrappers Home

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I would say no, because Scrapper used to be my favorite AT but now I enjoy playing a wide variety of Blasters, Brutes, Defenders, Corruptors, even Stalkers and Widows on occasion.  I've tried everything but the other ATs I didn't enjoy quite as much.

On the other hand, I've been reading the Scrapper AT sub forum and pretty much ignoring all of the other AT-specific forums, so maybe I still have Scrappers on the brain....

my old main was a fire/rad controller, but I havent even remade him yet, was too exited to play some of the sets that were introduced since I left the game around 2011. My new main is a fire/time corrupter, and my current best new shiny is a plant/kin controller who i absolutely love playing.

Ive got a few more newer sets on my list before i even revisit some of my old friends.

This is like asking me to pick a favorite child... :'(

That's not so hard: whichever one isn't yelling.  :)

(Gen puts on the heavy-duty noise headphones he got for when he's using power tools, or just runs out of cope.)

+1 Inf

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I've only REcreated two from the old days, both later in my run on the game, out of the dozen or so alts I've made so far.  The troller is somewhere in the 30s, and being a healer I don't play him too much.  I mean, he does damage and other things, but I feel like I'm a harried MM trying to keep all my pets from dying!  The other is my first new 50  and Corr, and is also the first time I've ever started messing about with Incarnate stuff as well.  And so far she's the one I feel like playing past 50, it hasn't gotten old yet.

In the old days my stalker was my main, although I had a lot of alts, but for some reason these days I seem to shy away from melee, not sure why.  Maybe because I spend about half my life super tired these days (shift work), and adding in that "chasing down every target by foot" layer on top of everything else feels like too much work.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

My main for the last year or so of the game back in the day was a Time/Radiation Defender, and he's also been my most-played since the grand re-opening, for the most part.  That said, he's kind of the AT exception rather than the rule; I don't do a lotta Defenders, and I like him primarily because he plays kinda like a Tank in most content anyway.

However, if I look at number of characters, it sure doesn't seem to be.  I was primarily a melee/Scrapperman back in the day, but outside of my main, I've been heavily into Dominators since the return.  I've wanted to do a new Scrapper, but I can never quite manage to get into the one's I've tried making (or remaking) so far, so I only have one "active" on my roster currently...less than anything else, more or less (I group both HEATs into the same "AT", so since I have one of each, I have two of those...).

In the old days my stalker was my main, although I had a lot of alts, but for some reason these days I seem to shy away from melee, not sure why.  Maybe because I spend about half my life super tired these days (shift work), and adding in that "chasing down every target by foot" layer on top of everything else feels like too much work.

I know how that feels.  At times I'll pass on playing the more active ATs (Blasters and Dominators for me mostly) in favour of something less demanding.  On the flipside of that the other day I went onto a Brute instead and the adrenalin rush of chasing that fury bar really perked me up.

I know how that feels.  At times I'll pass on playing the more active ATs (Blasters and Dominators for me mostly) in favour of something less demanding.  On the flipside of that the other day I went onto a Brute instead and the adrenaline rush of chasing that fury bar really perked me up.

Yeah, I know that feeling.  One of my first new toons was a scrapper and I quite easily fell prey to scrapperlock pretty quickly.  But I haven't logged in with him in like two weeks.  I do have a claws stalker though which is also rather unplayed, but did get me into the mindset.  Really, what I've found is I'll have fun no matter which one I log in with, so maybe I just need to push myself with the melee folk a bit more, when I'm not so tired.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The troller is somewhere in the 30s, and being a healer I don't play him too much.  I mean, he does damage and other things, but I feel like I'm a harried MM trying to keep all my pets from dying!

Haha, yes, the controller's dilemma!  There were so many times where my ill/emp troller was so focused on healing and support that I often neglected the thing she did best - locking down the baddies.  Towards the end, to signal that I was switching from support to controls, I set up a keybind to say, "For the party to live, one must die."

Still only got thanked for the "heals" though...

YES.

I bleed Blue forever.

Which AT is Blue again?  Blue Falcon?  The big Blue Cheese?  Blue Moon (with an orange slice)?

I know you hate Defenders...so which one is your fav?

:D

I recreated my main, a AR/Dev and I have him at 34 right now.  I am just enjoying the game and the altitis.  I also recreated his wife and made her a blueside MM  merc/ff and I have her at 24 or 25.  All the alts are right in the teens or single digits. I mainly play my main or the wife.

My fav AT when I started out was the Blaster. I really dug the glass cannon style. The first character I made during the EU beta was an elec/elec Blaster and the first character and subsequent main during the US live game was an nrg/nrg Blaster. As my CoH career advanced I kinda moved away from them, I tried a last hurrah as a fire/psi but it just didn't go very far. I guess I moved on to Widow and Controller. I've yet to try out the changes to the secondaries so I might give blasting and blapping a go again, tho it'll probably wait until I happen upon a good concept. You never know when inspiration will strike.

Nowadays... I'm not sure. I think I'm more about power sets and playstyles than specific ATs anyway. If I want to play Spines I consider the various strengths and weakness, and decide which AT would be the most fun for me.

My original first love was the Energy² Blaster, who I played for 8 years.  He's been retconned as an Energy/WP Sentinel.

My original first villain was an Archery/Trick Arrow Corruptor.  She's been retconned as an Archery/Tactical Arrow Blaster.

My classic silver age melee super-hero was a WP/Energy Melee Tanker.  He's been retconned as an Energy/WP Brute.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

No I used to love scrappers. And had several different ones all with lots of playtime logged.

Now I'm branching out and finding that I enjoy support. Primarily controllers but also have a couple corrupters. I've also got a stalker I really enjoy.

And all my scrappers just kind of sit there. Though I have enjoyed my new claws/energy armor scrapper. I think it might be because it's a new character I thought up and created, instead of just a remake of an old one that was lost with the shutdown.

No. Brutes are far more enjoyable than Tankers.

With the proliferation of ATs and powersets it's hard to resist a Brute rather than a Tanker or Scrapper.  I unreservedly love Fury - it's one of my all-time favourite game mechanics, and for the first couple of hours on a recent new Scrapper I had, more than once, to resist the urge to reroll her as a Brute.