The Sidhe - CoH lore?

TheOtherTed

Hi all, I figured this would be the place to ask the following, but let me know if it isn't.

Back before sunset, I found myself getting into characters with the theme of "myth made modern" (e.g., a Svartalfr garage mechanic, a biker-themed Valkyrie, etc.).  As of Homecoming, I started running a modern Sidhe law enforcement officer who is part of an exchange program with the PPD, in association with MAGI (hopefully, her counterpart will return in less than 700 years and won't immediately age to death when he or she sets foot on Terran soil).

However, I hesitate to write a real backstory for her, as I have no idea how (or if) the Sidhe fit in with the city's history.  Would they have resisted modernization?  Would they scorn pistols and rifles in favor of fancy, D&D style spells?  Would there be a place for a beam rifle wielding Sidhe?  Not that I'd go that route - just testing the boundaries.  Would they even be interested in any sort of formal exchange program, or, for that matter, do they even exist in this multiverse?

On a side note, the character is supposed to be a tough-as-nails police type, but I as a player have a difficult time conveying that.  Ironically, I have no problem casually RPing my hardboiled 1940s detective, but when it comes to more modern types of "tough," I feel like I just project as sullen and moody.  Any RP tips on that front would be appreciated.

I can't answer your lore questions as I'm not a lore expert as some around here are.  I'm new here.

However, if you're telling me this cop is a person caught between--between two worlds, two time periods, two ways of life and that is an important part of their identity then that's exciting to me because that's opportunities for good storytelling as this Sidhe cop makes her way in Paragon City.  One foot in the forest of concrete and steel and one in her identity as Sidhe.  A little bit this, a little bit that.  Again, if I'm reading this right--sorry if I'm not. 

I'd like to hope there's always a place for compelling storytelling.

Also, the idea of a beam rifle wielding Sidhe made me think of Puck/Owen Burnett from 'Gargoyles', so extra points from me for that ;)

The Tuatha and the Fir Bolg exist in the game's "spirit world" -- you can find them haunting Croatoa -- so that gives you a handy springboard given potential tensions.  They're mostly manifested as weird deer guys fighting angry pumpkins, but that doesn't mean the OG elf crew aren't still out there writing songs and throwing spears at one another.  There's room for just about anything if it's played well, and the care you're taking with the subject suggests you've got that covered.  Plenty of people are already playing conflicting versions of the sidhe, elves, fairies, whatever, it won't be a problem if you can adapt.

more modern types of "tough,"

I submit Vernon Roche (be aware that this gets uncomfortably violent around the 7:30 mark:) 

UPS1xkf.png

As said, Croatoa is the center for sidhe activity in City of Heroes. And my favorite zone of the game. They are none to pleased with mortals, but they also mostly represent the Unseelie Court. A lot of it is fairly vague so it's extremely ripe with potential for character backgrounds and themes. I've run a number of fey themed characters back on live and some have made it to Homecoming, with others likely to follow when I get around to making them. But then again, most of my characters have magic or tech background, so that's not a surprise.

Holy smokes, how did I forget Croatoa?!  That actually could be a really good tie-in for my character - tracking down a couple of rogue "purist" or "reactionary" factions from the Otherworld, but doing so in a way that doesn't further disrupt the boundary between worlds (e.g., using means familiar to normal humans to prevent some sort of psychic or magical backlash or mumble something mumble).

The problem then is what to do after Croatoa...

since year one there have been plenty playing D&D style elves and drow. Closest in game faction we see with traits even close are the red caps. Who tend to be more of the short elf gnome dwarf type as is often depicted in certain myths and legends. Keep in mind much real world myth and even religion needs to be adapted through the filter of certain crucial cohverse concepts.

The biggest being these high points.

All gods etc began as Spirits that fed off of human emotions etc or as I tend to term it are basically parasites that feed of the latent psychic energy in all humans.

As such in COHverse that is likely what the Sidhe or Sith began as to. The Cat Sith of scottish lore that was in fact in RL likely based ona  unique sub species of the scottish wild cat would more then likely be one of these spirits that never became overly gluttonous and perhaps even had genuine affection for humanity.

We also can say with some surety that Demons are more then likely just another variation on human, like the rikti. Of one of the possibly oldest surviving dimensions not devoured by the Ruluruu. And that Demons may rival or even surpass the magic wielded by Tilekku and her followers. As her zealout and mad disciple Hequat's forces found themselves brutally driven back inspite of their divinely given powers once Valmaz made the pact and gifted the thorn blades to the Orenbegans.

Its one of  the stranger points of CoH lore Tilekku is treated as a good thing in the dark astoria arcs, however she saw humanity not following gods and worshipping them as intolerable and worthy of destruction for. Basically in this early era, the Orenbegans where the heroes all gods the villians, and demonkind the extra dimensional allies that saved humanity from enslavement.

All my mystical characters praise Ermeeth and are very anti worship of gods. Saw Statesman being the avatar of zeus as a serious threat to humanity and dieing as a GREAT thing, his statue in Kallisti Wharf a sick charade to appease the ignorant masses. And Arachnos as basically a cult of Aries.

So ultimately if you want the pretty boy LOTR style elf you can make it but there doesnt really seem a fitting place for it as a larger race, rather Id suggest treating them each as unique spirits that only feed on humanity in minor ways.

I was considering making a Dryad character taking that very route. That she was a forest spirit that ancient primitive people worshipped through a massive tree, and when that tribe faded away she was reduced to a humanoid being that needed to merge with her tree to be sustained by the water and light. Basically a dryad but not part of a dryad race as depicted in so many popular fantasy series.

I was considering making a Dryad character taking that very route. That she was a forest spirit that ancient primitive people worshipped through a massive tree, and when that tribe faded away she was reduced to a humanoid being that needed to merge with her tree to be sustained by the water and light. Basically a dryad but not part of a dryad race as depicted in so many popular fantasy series.

My favorite Dryad headcanon that I came up with over 20 years ago was ... a Dryad ... who lived in a bonsai tree, in a pot.  So rather than having a gigantic 100+ meters tall tree anchored in one spot (and not going anywhere), this Dryad could literally manifest as a full size human woman, pick up her bonsai tree in a pot ... and GO PLACES ... because the tree was "portable" in that respect.  She just had to take the tree with her when she traveled, kind of like a pet plant.  When I explained the concept to other people in my tabletop RPG group they all basically goggled at me in silence until the gears clicked into place and the realization dawned on them that while this wasn't a "standard" interpretation of a fey, it certainly would work as a PC in a campaign and would present relatively few limitations for the character to overcome.

Remember, not all of the "greatest" and most revered of trees have been enormous.  Some have been very small indeed ...

As for playing a Sidhe in City of Heroes, my Time/Dual Pistols/Dark Defender is literally named Sidhe Bang (because Sidhe is properly pronounced as "Shee") and her bio reads that she was one of the last surviving refugees to escape Ireland during the Hamidon Wars (she's a Praetorian).  She wears a green/white tweed jacket and pleated mini skirt and she is "unfairly good with guns" according to her bio.

As for using a powerset like Beam Rifle, you can always headcanon the notion that in an effort to blend and pass with the human population, a little bit of Fey Glamour has been applied to make the focus object LOOK LIKE a beam rifle (and its FX LOOK LIKE those of a beam rifle) when in fact something else is going on behind the illusion.  That then lets you get away with whatever Magic Origin backstory you want to get up to.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 1 month later
  • 3 weeks later
On 6/26/2019 at 10:44 AM, TheOtherTed said:

However, I hesitate to write a real backstory for her, as I have no idea how (or if) the Sidhe fit in with the city's history.  Would they have resisted modernization?  Would they scorn pistols and rifles in favor of fancy, D&D style spells?  Would there be a place for a beam rifle wielding Sidhe?  Not that I'd go that route - just testing the boundaries.  Would they even be interested in any sort of formal exchange program, or, for that matter, do they even exist in this multiverse?

My recollection of the relevant folklore is that the Sidhe were famous for their prowess with bows, and used them to bestow various curses on their enemies.  I see no problem turning that into a supernatural aptitude for any sort of ranged weapon.  I have deliberately tried to ensure that my Roman mains are by no means stuck in the Iron Age, and that their culture has continued to develop and change in the intervening millennia.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291