Procs Per Minute (PPM) Information Guide

Bopper

I have an odd question,  I added a unique enhancement with a change for end 10% yesterday and it didn't seem to work.  Today I got on the character and it worked just fine.  In the combat tab, it showed the proc.  I didn't check for it yesterday.  Could there be a feature that requires zoning or logging for a newly slotted proc enhancement to start working?

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

6 minutes ago, Ayran said:

Hello. Sorry for my English. I am glad to be back playing again but so

many things have changed I will have to do some studying! can someone tell if the +tohit proc is good?

Yes, it is a very good global effect. Replaces the need for Tactics in many builds.

Edited by Sunsette

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:40 PM, Redlynne said:
Spoiler

Bopper ... I have a curiosity that you might be able to satisfy ... AND ... which would seem to be pertinent to some of your other research on this topic since this might make for a useful test case.

Behold ... ENFLAME ... from the Sorcery Pool.

Common Enhancement types accepted: Accuracy, Damage, Endurance Reduction, Range, Recharge Reduction

Set types accepted: Target AoE, Universal Damage

Procs that can be slotted:

Positron's chance for Energy damage

Ragnarok chance for Knockdown

Javelin Volley chance for Lethal damage

Annihilation chance for Resistance debuff

Frozen Blast chance for Immobilize

Overwhelming Force chance for Knockdown plus Knockback to Knockdown

Personal note: it would seem to me that slotting both the Ragnarok AND Overwhelming Force procs together in this power would be an example of unnecessary redundancy.

This power seems to have all the markers you'd expect from a "toggle that isn't actually a toggle" in that it instead cues up a collection of successively time delayed clicks that spawn pseudo-pet flame patches in the location that the $Target happens to be at at the time (so as to "leave a trail" of them (at 88 mph?)).

spacer.png

Now, in the context of this thread about PPM on Set IOs, I have to wonder how the PPM would "work" for Enflame, and if there's a particularly "good fit" for the power from any of the procs that can be slotted into it ... particularly given the fact that the 5s duration on the 3s delays means that you can potentially have multi-stack chances for procs going on ... or it could be a "check once, use repeatedly" kind of multiplier situation, due to how the power is coded to function under the hood (resolve first, animate after).  Also, that long recharge time of 90 seconds for the base power, coupled with a 5+15=20 second overall duration for the effects which can be repositioned after casting (!) would seem to me to be something of a prime research opportunity for PPM monsterification of an otherwise somewhat lackluster power.

For example, the chance for Immobilize in a "burn patches" power would seem to make for a pretty decent starting point ... particularly if coupled with chance for a Resistance Debuff ... particularly if the chance of getting those procs on the initial casting is high (approaching 90%?) and thereby helping to maximize the damage throughput onto the $Target(s) affected by the Enflame patches.  And that's before tossing a chance for Energy and/or Lethal damage into the mix (let alone a chance for Knockdown).

Your thought(s) on the potential for clever use of game mechanics …?

Some good news and bad news...

Enflame's initial cast works as a click power, so when it hits, all your procs go off in a glorious/hilarious moment. However, the 5 subsequent summonings do not get the long click power treatment.

This was merely a quick test, so I can't say for certain if the additional summons are acting like a 5 second activation period, or if it is acting like a 5 second recharge. I assume the latter, but it'll take a lot more testing to discern the difference. Anyways, I hope that helps. The power does really good damage, so it does have some utility, however I think maximizing it would require immobilizing the target (higher magnitude) to begin with and let them sit in the patch.

Edit: I should mention, I tend to see each proc go off 1 or 2 more times after the initial cast. So that's nice, 2-3 procs each. It definitely has utility, but maybe not enough to merit grabbing 2 other sorcery powers. I'll leave that to the min/max'ers to decide.

Edited by Bopper
  • Thanks 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

2 minutes ago, Sunsette said:

Question: Snipe powers. Do they calculate:

• With their actual animation time at all times?
  • With their slow animation at all times?
  • With their fast animation at all times?

Thanks.

Good question. I can probably tackle that this weekend. That's one of the easier tests to do as I can set it on auto, walk away, then see which activation time makes the most sense given the HeroStats results. In fact, I will load up the recharge in the power to emphasize the activation time, which should make the answer obvious.

• Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Has anyone ever compiled a list of the PPM for each proc is, so we can plug that info into formulas for answers?

I'm having to rely on digging through posts to try and find things like the Force Feedback proc is a 2 PPM, while others get mentioned (very occasionally!) as being 3.5 or even 4.5 PPM and so on.  I'm thinking that we need a ... repository ... of PPM values for each proc that is easy to find (and easy to use?).

Reason being is that I'd like to be able to include accurate(ish?) PPM values for builds as part of my data dump for how my builds work in future update posts.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

15 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Has anyone ever compiled a list of the PPM for each proc is, so we can plug that info into formulas for answers?

I'm having to rely on digging through posts to try and find things like the Force Feedback proc is a 2 PPM, while others get mentioned (very occasionally!) as being 3.5 or even 4.5 PPM and so on.  I'm thinking that we need a ... repository ... of PPM values for each proc that is easy to find (and easy to use?).

Reason being is that I'd like to be able to include accurate(ish?) PPM values for builds as part of my data dump for how my builds work in future update posts.

I have not vetted this information, but the only thing I've seen was put together by MacSkull. If you want, I can include this link in the front page section for easy discovery.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vd4ZZd1jfhOzdZZkGxC9O0NN5G0T1EdWPu_XRrV6s0U/edit#gid=905771942

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bopper said:

I have not vetted this information, but the only thing I've seen was put together by MacSkull. If you want, I can include this link in the front page section for easy discovery.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vd4ZZd1jfhOzdZZkGxC9O0NN5G0T1EdWPu_XRrV6s0U/edit#gid=905771942

Even unvetted for Homecoming, that's still a useful resource for having a place to start.  Please put a link into your OP for that reference.  I'm thinking you could do this:

On 6/27/2019 at 3:01 AM, Bopper said:

To save folks time on reading, I will update this space with current info. Based on current testing results, it is believed the correct formula for PPM calculations are:

Probability to Proc = PPM x (MRT+ CastTime) / (60 x AreaMod)

AreaMod = 1 + Radius x (11 x Arc + 540) / 40,000

MRT = BaseRecharge / (1 + RechargeEnhanced_from_Alpha_and_Enhancements/100)

PPM per proc can be found HERE although this information has not yet been vetted for Homecoming servers as of yet.

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

New testing of Distortion Field with Damage Procs

I still don't have a way of knowing whether or not I missed during DF's ticks, so I will just provide the raw numbers. First some background, DF is a pseudopet and it is not impacted by modified recharge time. Once it is dropped, it seems to just use the activation period. DF has a 45 second duration and its proc opportunities start upon cast, then repeats every 10 seconds until the DF disappears. So every activation will have 5 ticks (or proc opportunities).

I assume the correct way to calculate the probability would be: Prob = PPM x (10 sec) / (60 x AreaFactor). In this case, I believe the radius is 20 feet (could be 25?). Either way, I won't focus on the expected probability, just report my numbers (Note, I'll update later if I find out for sure what DF's radius is. The animation is the same as Time's Juncture which is 25 foot radius, but somewhere I thought I saw DF had a 20 foot, maybe in pines?):

For the purple proc (4.5 PPM) I took 234 samples (sample = 1 tick opportunity on 1 target per proc) and I proc'd 68 times (29.06%)

For the 3.5 PPM procs (I had 4 of them, Neurotic Shutdown, Ghost Widow, Gladiator's Net, Impeded Swiftness):

Neurotic: 23 procs out of 180 opportunities (12.78%, this might be small sample size bad luck)

Ghost Widow: 35 procs in 190 opportunities (18.42%)

Gladiator's Net: 33 procs in 180 opportunities (18.33%)

Impeded Swiftness: 31 procs in 180 opportunities (17.22%)

I also tested with all 5 procs (1 4.5 PPM, 4 3.5 PPM) and monitored that action:

91 procs in 475 opportunities (19.16%)

Conclusion: Distortion Field is decent for procs. If you put all 5 damage procs in it, you will see almost every target get hit with at least one proc on every tick cycle, so that's decent damage. It just takes a long time to have all that damage applied. But you still get the utility of DF even though you may not get the benefits of enhancing it as you normally would.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bopper said:

New testing of Distortion Field with Damage Procs

I still don't have a way of knowing whether or not I missed during DF's ticks, so I will just provide the raw numbers. First some background, DF is a pseudopet and it is not impacted by modified recharge time. Once it is dropped, it seems to just use the activation period. DF has a 45 second duration and its proc opportunities start upon cast, then repeats every 10 seconds until the DF disappears. So every activation will have 5 ticks (or proc opportunities).

I assume the correct way to calculate the probability would be: Prob = PPM x (10 sec) / (60 x AreaFactor). In this case, I believe the radius is 20 feet (could be 25?). Either way, I won't focus on the expected probability, just report my numbers (Note, I'll update later if I find out for sure what DF's radius is. The animation is the same as Time's Juncture which is 25 foot radius, but somewhere I thought I saw DF had a 20 foot, maybe in pines?):

For the purple proc (4.5 PPM) I took 234 samples (sample = 1 tick opportunity on 1 target per proc) and I proc'd 68 times (29.06%)

For the 3.5 PPM procs (I had 4 of them, Neurotic Shutdown, Ghost Widow, Gladiator's Net, Impeded Swiftness):

Neurotic: 23 procs out of 180 opportunities (12.78%, this might be small sample size bad luck)

Ghost Widow: 35 procs in 190 opportunities (18.42%)

Gladiator's Net: 33 procs in 180 opportunities (18.33%)

Impeded Swiftness: 31 procs in 180 opportunities (17.22%)

I also tested with all 5 procs (1 4.5 PPM, 4 3.5 PPM) and monitored that action:

91 procs in 475 opportunities (19.16%)

Conclusion: Distortion Field is decent for procs. If you put all 5 damage procs in it, you will see almost every target get hit with at least one proc on every tick cycle, so that's decent damage. It just takes a long time to have all that damage applied. But you still get the utility of DF even though you may not get the benefits of enhancing it as you normally would.

Would these numbers be a roughly comparable result to a damage patch with the same radius and cooldown? Or is there some other mechanic at play like very different activation times?

2 hours ago, Maxzero said:

Would these numbers be a roughly comparable result to a damage patch with the same radius and cooldown? Or is there some other mechanic at play like very different activation times?

If we just use the numbers from my testing (since I haven't confirmed the formula for DF), the purple proc showed a 29% probability to proc 107.1 damage on each tick. The other procs combined for a 16.7% probability to proc 71.75 damage on each tick.

So if you 5 slot all the damage procs into Distortion Field, you can expect the following:

E [Dmg/Tick/Tgt] = 107.1 x 0.290598 + 4 x 71.75 x 0.167123 = 79.08746 damage on each target for each tick. 

If a target stays in the DF for all 5 ticks, the expected damage would be 395.44.

So yes, I would say this method works as a rain nuke. But again, I must emphasize, these numbers are strictly based on my limited testing. Once I confirm the parameters of Distortion Field (radius, basically), I can provide you exact numbers on how it should perform.

Edit: also, take these numbers with a huge grain of salt. The purple (4.5 PPM) proc should only have a 28.5% higher probability to proc than the regular (3.5 PPM) procs. I'm seeing 73.9% higher probabilities (61.4% if I remove the outlier performance of Neurotic Shutdown). I have no explanation for why I'm seeing this much discrepancy. I will need to do additional testing to see if the purple proc was just a little bit lucky and the regular procs were a little bit unlucky, causing a divide.

Edited by Bopper

On 7/31/2019 at 12:02 AM, Bopper said:

The spreadsheet is missing the -resist value from the Annihilation proc, and I've not been able to find it listed anywhere else, does anyone know what it is?  

Also, is Caltrops likely to work similarly to Distortion Field, with about a 20% chance of each normal proc firing each 10 sec?  Trying to figure out if it is worth proc slotting that for Traps, assuming I can immobilize foes in it of course.  

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, Scientist said:

The spreadsheet is missing the -resist value from the Annihilation proc, and I've not been able to find it listed anywhere else, does anyone know what it is?  

Also, is Caltrops likely to work similarly to Distortion Field, with about a 20% chance of each normal proc firing each 10 sec?  Trying to figure out if it is worth proc slotting that for Traps, assuming I can immobilize foes in it of course.  

Annihilation proc is -12.5% only, but it is unresistable (which is nice). So for example, let's say your target has 40% resistance and you applied a 20% resistance debuff, the target would resist 40% of that debuff, so your debuff would reduce the targets debuff by 12%, making them resist 28% of damage going forward. (40 - 20x (1-0.40) = 28.0)

If you hit with the Annihilation proc, the target would resist 27.5% (40-12.5=27.5).

Edit: I did some testing on Justin server and it appears Annihilation proc is resistable, so disregard most of my prior statements. (6 Sep 2019)

As for caltrops, I suspect it to be the same, but I have not tested it. 

Edited by Bopper

5 hours ago, Bopper said:

So yes, I would say this method works as a rain nuke. But again, I must emphasize, these numbers are strictly based on my limited testing. Once I confirm the parameters of Distortion Field (radius, basically), I can provide you exact numbers on how it should perform.

What did you test this against? Actual grouped mobs, single target, or parsing math into it for an estimation? I did testing against a singular target to see the validity of the patch on a single target and I only ever got one proc, period, per target, per Distortion Field. Never more than one, and sometimes none at all in a couple instances. I did see a far higher margin of the purple proc over any other proc though.

I had written up a better ask/comparison last night before the browser ate my post in a failed connection, but this is the shortened version of "I didn't get the same experience from the Distortion Field."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Myshkin said:

What did you test this against? Actual grouped mobs, single target, or parsing math into it for an estimation? I did testing against a singular target to see the validity of the patch on a single target and I only ever got one proc, period, per target, per Distortion Field. Never more than one, and sometimes none at all in a couple instances. I did see a far higher margin of the purple proc over any other proc though.

I had written up a better ask/comparison last night before the browser ate my post in a failed connection, but this is the shortened version of "I didn't get the same experience from the Distortion Field."

All of my testing was done in Peregrine Island on the Justin test server. The heavy majority of my testing was done against the same level 50 mob consisting of 2 bosses (both Death Mages) and 2 lieutenants. I typically did each test ~9 times. I first tested each proc individually (so one proc loaded into DF), and those numbers were the ones I posted. Then I tested with all 5 procs loaded into DF, which was the last numbers I posted.

With this test, I simply looked at the count of procs that fired with each DF cast. I never stacked.

In regards to your observations, I should go back and look at how my performance might change if I only attacked 1 target at a time. Since I kept attacking the entire mob, I cant say whether or not a single target got hit multiple times on one tick...I just presume it happened. When comparing my single proc performance with my 5 proc performance, the expected number of procs were almost dead on, so I think everything is fine. Perhaps I'll look at it more tonight if my wife doesn't keep giving me the stink eye.

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is some homework if anyone is interested. I looked at what I think the correct calculations should be for DF in regards to the procs, and I think the 3.5 PPM ones line up pretty well while the 4.5 PPM proc performed over its head. I wonder though, is it possible the 4.5 PPM procs actually perform a 5 PPM proc and the text never got updated in i24? If anyone wants to test that out and report your findings, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Just now, Sunsette said:

Spent most of my CoH time the last two weeks either testing or writing and mathing and would like to actually PLAY, but I can maybe look into it this weekend. 

You and me both. Partially why I'm trying to offload this one. I have too many other things to test (I haven't forgotten your request).

• Thanks 1

• City Council

Just now saw this thread. Please note that this block of code from up-thread is wrong.

PPM.JPG.bc1181c7cd7e87c3421e925479f3f675.JPG

Specifically, this line:

fChanceFinal *= (ppowOrig->ppowBase->fRechargeTime * ppowOrig->pattrStrength->fRechargeTime / pSrc->attrStrength.fRechargeTime + ppowOrig->ppowBase->fTimeToActivate);

multiplies the base recharge time (which is later divided by 60) by the proportion of the power's recharge strength (enhancement+global) over the character's global recharge strength. Since the enhancement value ends up in the numerator, it causes the code to have the exact opposite effect as intended. As the amount of slotted recharge enhancement increases, so does the calculated cycle time and the eventual %chance. It also doesn't completely remove the global recharge from the equation, since recharge strength accumulation is additive rather than multiplicative.

This particular bug was present in the Issue 24 beta that was being tested before shutdown. At some point, it appears the SCORE developers fixed it and changed the calculation to match the final version that Synapse had posted on the forums and is being discussed in this thread.

The code block above is from the original leaked i24 source, before the bug was fixed. As far as I'm aware none of the servers based on that code have found or fixed this bug, so PPM proc rates on those servers likely go completely bonkers once you start slotting recharge enhancements. The Homecoming servers are based off of i25, which contains the fixed version and behaves according to the formula that Synapse intended.

If you're looking for insight into how things work on Homecoming, I highly recommend looking at the i25 source instead. I can't link to that for hopefully obvious reasons, but it's not far away from where the i24 source can be found. The equivalent code there is a bit different because of how activation chance and tick chance were split into separate things but the corrected formula can be found by looking for RechargeDivisor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Just now saw this thread. Please note that this block of code from up-thread is wrong.

PPM.JPG.bc1181c7cd7e87c3421e925479f3f675.JPG

Specifically, this line:

fChanceFinal *= (ppowOrig->ppowBase->fRechargeTime * ppowOrig->pattrStrength->fRechargeTime / pSrc->attrStrength.fRechargeTime + ppowOrig->ppowBase->fTimeToActivate);

multiplies the base recharge time (which is later divided by 60) by the proportion of the power's recharge strength (enhancement+global) over the character's global recharge strength. Since the enhancement value ends up in the numerator, it causes the code to have the exact opposite effect as intended. As the amount of slotted recharge enhancement increases, so does the calculated cycle time and the eventual %chance. It also doesn't completely remove the global recharge from the equation, since recharge strength accumulation is additive rather than multiplicative.

This particular bug was present in the Issue 24 beta that was being tested before shutdown. At some point, it appears the SCORE developers fixed it and changed the calculation to match the final version that Synapse had posted on the forums and is being discussed in this thread.

The code block above is from the original leaked i24 source, before the bug was fixed. As far as I'm aware none of the servers based on that code have found or fixed this bug, so PPM proc rates on those servers likely go completely bonkers once you start slotting recharge enhancements. The Homecoming servers are based off of i25, which contains the fixed version and behaves according to the formula that Synapse intended.

If you're looking for insight into how things work on Homecoming, I highly recommend looking at the i25 source instead. I can't link to that for hopefully obvious reasons, but it's not far away from where the i24 source can be found. The equivalent code there is a bit different because of how activation chance and tick chance were split into separate things but the corrected formula can be found by looking for RechargeDivisor.

Thank you greatly for that information. I have not tried to look at the source code (not my wheelhouse). Can you confirm any additional information about PPM formulas used in i25, either things mentioned here or other things we haven't considered or looked at yet?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I did a very quick test because the answer I was looking for took one attempt. With a 5 proc slotted Distortion Field, on just 1 target, I was able to get multiple procs on one attemt.

Spoiler

You tap into your inner power and boost the abilities of your next few attacks.
Distortion Field: HIT Behemoth Overlord! Your Distortion Field power is autohit.
Distortion Field: Your target takes 107.08 points of bonus smashing damage!
Distortion Field: Behemoth Overlord takes 71.74 points of bonus psionic damage!
Distortion Field: Your target takes 71.74 points of bonus smashing damage!

Distortion Field: Your Distortion Field holds Behemoth Overlord!
Distortion Field: You hit Behemoth Overlord for 71.74 points of bonus Lethal damage!

You slow Behemoth Overlord's attack rate.
Distortion Field: HIT Behemoth Overlord! Your Distortion Field power is autohit.
Distortion Field: Your target takes 71.74 points of bonus smashing damage!
Distortion Field: Your Distortion Field holds Behemoth Overlord!

I did the test twice. I color coded the combat log based on which tick the damage was applied:

Cast/First

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth (Never occured on the last tick)

As you can see, the first DF had it proc 3 times on the cast, then it proc'd 2 times on the 2nd tick. From then on, I never saw it proc twice again. 

Edited by Bopper

• City Council
1 hour ago, Bopper said:

Thank you greatly for that information. I have not tried to look at the source code (not my wheelhouse). Can you confirm any additional information about PPM formulas used in i25, either things mentioned here or other things we haven't considered or looked at yet?

I'm kind of juggling a lot of things and there's a bunch of discussion in the thread so I'm not completely clear on what's resolved and what's not. Could you or someone ask a few direct questions about the parts that are unknown or in doubt?

Until then I'll type some random stuff that may or may not be helpful.

Power area factors are:

Single target: 1.0

Sphere: Radius * 0.15

Cone: (1 + (Radius * 0.15)) - ((Radius * 0.00036667)*(360 - Arc))
Chain: MaxTargets * 0.75

The power's area factor is adjusted by (AreaFactor * 0.75) + 0.25 before being used for PPM. The original area factor is still used for things like DoubleHit damage procs, IIRC. Area factors for executed powers accumulate multiplicatively, but I don't think there are currently in powers in the game that take advantage of kExecutePower in a way that would trigger that.

There isn't any kind of system-wide internal cooldown on procs in general (outside of toggle powers, see below), but there may be one or two that have one implemented in the powers data with grantpower tricks or other methods.

In toggle and auto powers the ActivatePeriod of the proc is used as an internal cooldown of sorts. I believe every proc has this set to 10 seconds in the data but can't promise there are no exceptions. After the timer is up they are eligible to proc again, though doesn't happen until the next ActivatePeriod of the power it's slotted into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Chain: MaxTargets * 0.75

I was unaware of this, so thank you. That's good info to have.

5 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Area factors for executed powers accumulate multiplicatively, but I don't think there are currently in powers in the game that take advantage of kExecutePower in a way that would trigger that.

I am completely unaware of this, but I think I saw some source code that made reference to it (I believe it was the code to ChanceModAccumulate, but I didn't understand the code at that time either). Could you elaborate on how this game mechanic works (or would work)? If there are no powers in the game that utilize it, I wonder why the code would be developed. But if you can think of any powers, please let us know.

8 minutes ago, Number Six said:

In toggle and auto powers the ActivatePeriod of the proc is used as an internal cooldown of sorts. I believe every proc has this set to 10 seconds in the data but can't promise there are no exceptions. After the timer is up they are eligible to proc again, though doesn't happen until the next ActivatePeriod of the power it's slotted into.

How does this work for powers (pseudopets or toggles) that have ActivatePeriods that are far less than 10 seconds? Are the procs penalized by using the smaller ActivatePeriod, or does the formula treat the ActivatePeriod as 10 seconds for the proc? For example, let's say it is a 3 PPM power and the ActivatePeriod of the toggle is 2 seconds, is the probability to proc 3x2/(60xAreaFactor), or would it be 3x10/(60xAreaFactor)?

11 minutes ago, Number Six said:

I'm kind of juggling a lot of things and there's a bunch of discussion in the thread so I'm not completely clear on what's resolved and what's not. Could you or someone ask a few direct questions about the parts that are unknown or in doubt?

I don't recall everything that is resolved or unresolved in this thread (and many others), but if I can think of anything I can send you a PM and I'll update this thread with correct information as needed.