Procs Per Minute (PPM) Information Guide

Bopper

This is making me wonder about a Gaussian's Build Up proc prior to casting Enflame ... giving ALL of the Enflame patches the bonus Build Up damage ...

So at this point we're pretty much sure that Gaussian's, when it procs, the Build Up buff effect is SELF ONLY.  However, it can be slotted into aura powers like Tactics that permit multiple chances to proc every 10 seconds, multiplied by the number of teammates within that aura.  On Masterminds, this then becomes something of an incentive to actually take (and use) the personal attack powers, in addition to any Pool powers that can be used for attacks.

Trick question for Team-8 Mastermind deployments.

If you summon Tier 1/2/3 Pets during a Gaussian's proc (via Tactics, presumably) ... does the +damage "permanently affect" those Pets beyond the 5.25s duration of the Build Up buff, because they were summoned while the Build Up buff was active?  If so, then there might be a bit of an incentive to watch your Combat Tab so as to time/synchronize any Pet (re)summoning so as to coincide with Build Up procs.

Note that as a solo Mastermind (so time isn't as much of a factor), what you could do is zone into an instance, summon all of your Pets (but not upgrade them) with the Gaussian's proc in Tactics (toggled on, of course), and just wait for the proc to happen.

1 - (1 - 0.065)^7 = 37.5% chance to proc every 10 seconds in Tactics

Watch your combat log for a proc notice.

When you see the Build Up proc, dismiss ONE Tier of Pets and resummon that Tier of Pets during the 5.25s duration of the Build Up proc.

Wash/rinse/repeat for all 3 Tiers (or however many Tiers of Pets you have available to you).

After summoning a Build Up buffed Tier of Pets, go ahead and upgrade them while waiting for the next chance to dismiss/resummon under Build Up.

If the test dummies in the Vanguard Base in RWZ report accurate damage amounts, you can do your before/after testing on them of whether or not summoning Mastermind Pets while under a Build Up proc will "permanently" affect those summoned Pets until they are either defeated or you change zones (including into instances) with your Mastermind.

Note that for extra bonus points, the above complicated process to time the summoning of each Tier of Pets may not be necessary in order to achieve the benefit.

That's because every time you zone ... into an instance, move to a new map, etc. ... all of your Pets that you had in the previous zone are automagically "resummoned" into the new zone upon entry.  This means that if you've got the Gaussian's proc slotted into a power like Tactics and you have all of your Pets summoned already, all you would need to do is WAIT at the zone change point (mission door, portal, tram, tunnel, etc.) for a Build Up proc to happen and then QUICKLY CHANGE ZONES before the proc expires(!).  This ought to "work" for putting a Build Up proc buff onto ALL of your Mastermind Pets in parallel since the current state of your character is saved when you change zones, meaning that the Build Up buff ought to "carry over" into the new zone when you enter (and expire shortly thereafter due to 5.25s duration and reaction time speeds).  The idea being that you'll enter the new zone with the Build Up buff still active "through" the zone change ... and your Mastermind Pets will ALL be "resummoned" after the zone change, causing them to benefit from the Build Up buff affecting your Mastermind during the zone change.

In other words, clever use of game mechanics.  😎

Again, this would be relatively easy to test for a Mastermind who has slotted the Gaussian's proc into Tactics and has all of their Pets summoned.  Stand by at a zone transition to the Rikti War Zone and only chance zones after Gaussian's procs Build Up.  Once you've entered RWZ, complete any missing upgrades on Pets and then march them over to the test dummies.  Command your Pets to attack the test dummies to check to see if your Pets are now "perma Build Up(ped)" by virtue of carefully choosing when to change zones while under the Build Up effect on your Mastermind.

Note that if this works, you can develop habits to ... exploit ... this behavior more routinely for your own benefit, regardless of how many teammates you have (as a Mastermind).

Any questions?

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Not sure about the zoning trick; I've been testing a lot of MM builds for various purposes over the last week, and one common thing I've observed is that all buffs and temporary modifications to pets seem to be stripped during the zoning process, leaving it in a sort of "fresh" state when you zone in; this was, perhaps, intended to prevent the very things you're theorizing, lol.  Easiest way to see this: get bots, get your protectors out and let them do their bubbling, then enter a mission.  On the other side, the bubbles will be gone and the protectors will have to redo them.  I've also confirmed that player buffs (such as PBAoEs from Nature) "fall off" during zoning as well.  One assumes that even if you managed to get the pet into the door during the brief period that a build-up is on, it would be treated as a temporary modifier and not applicable.  

On attempting to resummon during the BoostUp windows, that's going to be challenging since:

-Pets do not disappear instantly, they have exit animations

-Summoning while the previous pets are in exit animation sometimes causes the new pets to not appear, in my experience

-The actual pet coming into play often comes at the end of a longish animation (Bots are a prime example of this).  If things are checked at summoning (which I am admittedly skeptical on), it would need to be seen if it checked at power execution or at pet coming into existence.  If the latter, there's almost no way you could safely dismiss and resummon a pet within the window unless you have amazing twitch reflexes.  On the whole, probably not worth it.

One easier way to test whether or not your own non-enhancement-provided +damage and +tohit is "baked into" pets would be to test using Assault, since that's a toggle you can control at will for summoning test and placebo batches of pets repeatedly.  While it's a power rather than a proc, both are providing you global +damage, which theoretically would be treated the same.

Enflame is an odd duck; I'm not sure if it's a pseudopet which chain summons more pseudopets, or a buff which repeatedly summons them at intervals (this is a key difference).  

5 minutes ago, Unknown Magi said:

Guess that's the difference between:

/petcomall dismiss

/releasepets

Dismiss will cause your pets to "exit thematically" complete with emote action and everything.

Release will cause your pets to "die" unceremoniously, leaving corpses on the ground.

If you're in a hurry, such as needing to cast within a 5.25s window of opportunity, you want to /releasepets rather than dismiss them.

Of course, if you do use /releasepets you kill them ALL, rather than killing off specific Tiers like you can with dismiss.

IifneyR.gif

I don't have time for any more research right now, but something I'd like to report for further testing: 

Pseudopet-summoned pseudopets inherit all proc chances, but seem to have independent proc activation periods.  For initial testing tonight, I utilized Carrion Creepers out of Plant Control.  The power had 4 3.5 PPM damage procs applied.  I was also doing some testing with Assault Radial Core T4 to determine if the Doublehit proc can be inherited by pets (or pets of pets) but this is so far inconclusive.  As to the original testing, however:

Targets:

0x8 warriors mobs in AE recreation of old BM farm

Power used:  Carrion creepers, slotted with 4x 3.5PPM damage procs, 1x Force Feedback proc, and 1 Nucleolus Exposure lvl 53 (to ensure accuracy during testing)

Sample size: ~1 map of mobs (initial sample only, more testing required)

Observation: A single casting of carrion creepers was capable of achiever a stagger 90 PPM over the lifetime of the power.  One casting was used against two groups sequentially over the course of 1:38 seconds and generated 146 instances of Pet Bonus Damage in herostats (which is differentiated from my own bonus damage procs).  

We should, perhaps, do some more testing on pseudopets?

Edit: One other observation: the creepers also triggered Force Feedback (Pet) procs, but these were not inherited by me, leading me to believe that once you go "down the chain" of summoned pseudopets, something interesting is happening to buff procs as well.

Edited by Unknown Magi

43 minutes ago, Unknown Magi said:

Not sure about the zoning trick; I've been testing a lot of MM builds for various purposes over the last week, and one common thing I've observed is that all buffs and temporary modifications to pets seem to be stripped during the zoning process, leaving it in a sort of "fresh" state when you zone in; this was, perhaps, intended to prevent the very things you're theorizing, lol.  Easiest way to see this: get bots, get your protectors out and let them do their bubbling, then enter a mission.  On the other side, the bubbles will be gone and the protectors will have to redo them.  I've also confirmed that player buffs (such as PBAoEs from Nature) "fall off" during zoning as well.  One assumes that even if you managed to get the pet into the door during the brief period that a build-up is on, it would be treated as a temporary modifier and not applicable.  

On attempting to resummon during the BoostUp windows, that's going to be challenging since:

-Summoning while the previous pets are in exit animation sometimes causes the new pets to not appear, in my experience

-The actual pet coming into play often comes at the end of a longish animation (Bots are a prime example of this).  If things are checked at summoning (which I am admittedly skeptical on), it would need to be seen if it checked at power execution or at pet coming into existence.  If the latter, there's almost no way you could safely dismiss and resummon a pet within the window unless you have amazing twitch reflexes.  On the whole, probably not worth it.

One easier way to test whether or not your own non-enhancement-provided +damage and +tohit is "baked into" pets would be to test using Assault, since that's a toggle you can control at will for summoning test and placebo batches of pets repeatedly.  While it's a power rather than a proc, both are providing you global +damage, which theoretically would be treated the same.

Enflame is an odd duck; I'm not sure if it's a pseudopet which chain summons more pseudopets, or a buff which repeatedly summons them at intervals (this is a key difference).  

I suspect pets wouldn't inherit your personal damage buffs because they don't inherit anything in general. All they do is 'snap shot' their own slotted enchancements when summoned.

7 hours ago, Maxzero said:

I suspect pets wouldn't inherit your personal damage buffs because they don't inherit anything in general. All they do is 'snap shot' their own slotted enchancements when summoned.

Hence why testing is needed to verify which "interpretation" of that snapshot of buffing at the time of summoning is needed.

IifneyR.gif

45 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Hence why testing is needed to verify which "interpretation" of that snapshot of buffing at the time of summoning is needed.

Certainly. I have not tested with MM pets, but with an epic powerset's summon pet I attempted to summon them after using Power boost, and their mezzes were not improved. My hope was they would get the 98.34% power boost for their duration, but no luck.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I searched this thread for the term "Jolting" and didn't find it and "chain" seemed to be talking about something else, so I do want to pose a question about the suitability of proccing out Jolting Chain.  

First I'll come clean that these discussions on PPM have caused my eyes to roll back into my head and for me to hit "close tab" whenever I've started digging into the details.  However, I'm making a build for an Elec controller and I suspect that Jolting Chain would be a good candidate for heavy proc usage.  So I've been digesting PPM info recently.  Here's my analysis of Jolting Chain for the build I've made.

First some values to some of the variables involved: the added recharge to the power comes solely from the alpha: .33.  Activation = 2.244

Which makes the multiplier of the PPM = (6 + 2.244) / 60 = .1374 (er, right?)

These are the procs I am evaluating and their corresponding PPM:

Apoc = 4.5
Devastation Hold = 3
Glad Javalin Toxic = 3.5
Tempest End Drain = 3.5
Explosive Strike Smash = 3.5

Plugging those PPMs * .1374 (from above) gives:

apoc = 4.5 * .1374 = .74
Hold = 3 * .1374 = .4122
Toxic, End Drain, Smash = 3.5 * .1374 = .4809

This makes (I think) E(Damage from procs) = 
.74 * 107.1 + 2 * .4809 * 71.75 = 148.26
Not too shabby for a power with base dmg = 9.18.  So not shabby I figure I've got this all wrong.

With global recharge, Mids shows this with an actual recharge (not including activation + arcanatime) of 2.5 seconds.

I should have asked first, but does the chaining effect affect the probability formula?  Even if it does it seems like it would have to be a significant reduction to make proccing JC not worthwhile.

13 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

I searched this thread for the term "Jolting" and didn't find it and "chain" seemed to be talking about something else, so I do want to pose a question about the suitability of proccing out Jolting Chain.  

First I'll come clean that these discussions on PPM have caused my eyes to roll back into my head and for me to hit "close tab" whenever I've started digging into the details.  However, I'm making a build for an Elec controller and I suspect that Jolting Chain would be a good candidate for heavy proc usage.  So I've been digesting PPM info recently.  Here's my analysis of Jolting Chain for the build I've made.

First some values to some of the variables involved: the added recharge to the power comes solely from the alpha: .33.  Activation = 2.244

Which makes the multiplier of the PPM = (6 + 2.244) / 60 = .1374 (er, right?)

These are the procs I am evaluating and their corresponding PPM:

Apoc = 4.5
Devastation Hold = 3
Glad Javalin Toxic = 3.5
Tempest End Drain = 3.5
Explosive Strike Smash = 3.5

Plugging those PPMs * .1374 (from above) gives:

apoc = 4.5 * .1374 = .74
Hold = 3 * .1374 = .4122
Toxic, End Drain, Smash = 3.5 * .1374 = .4809

This makes (I think) E(Damage from procs) = 
.74 * 107.1 + 2 * .4809 * 71.75 = 148.26
Not too shabby for a power with base dmg = 9.18.  So not shabby I figure I've got this all wrong.

With global recharge, Mids shows this with an actual recharge (not including activation + arcanatime) of 2.5 seconds.

I should have asked first, but does the chaining effect affect the probability formula?  Even if it does it seems like it would have to be a significant reduction to make proccing JC not worthwhile.

This has not been looked at extensively yet. I can maybe look up some info tonight, but I can almost promise you that the Single Target formula you're using is not correct. But that's ok, we just have to figure out what is the correct Area Factor (AF) and apply that to your results. I know there is a specific (and unverified) AF for Chains, but I think that doesn't apply here. Instead, I suspect it works somewhat like Enflame, where it does the attack then summons another attack. If that's the case, I need to figure out what the area is for the summoned attack, and that would be applied.

Honestly, there are a bunch of potential formulas here, so it's best to test it and see which formula fits best. I recommend closely monitoring the combat log and see what the proc rate is when you cast the power, then also look at the proc rate of the jumps. I suspect it would be different.

After work, I'll look into the characteristics of the summoned Jolt Jump and see if it can help us in our analysis. If you get time to test, please share your results. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

@HedgefundI did some digging and I might have found some info. Jolting Chain has an initial attack that has a base recharge of 8 seconds and a cast time of 2.07 seconds. That attack then creates 2 pets, which each creates 2 pets, with each creates 2 pets. So you can hit up to 15 times (1+2+4+8). The pets each have a recharge of 4 seconds and a cast time of 0 seconds and a  spherical radius of 15 feet. So I assume you will see a good probability to proc on the initial attack, and then each subsequent pet will have a lower but equal probability to proc. I assume the following probabilities apply (assuming 33% recharge):

Initial Cast Proc Probability = PPM x (8/1.33 + 2.07) / 60 = PPM x 13.475%

Pet Proc Probability = PPM x (4 + 0) / [60 x (1 + 0.75x0.15x15)] = PPM x 2.4086%

So assuming a 3.5 PPM proc, the probabilities are:

Cast = 47.16%

Pet = 8.68%

I'm not sure if I'll get to it soon, but I would want to test this and confirm my assumptions. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bopper said:

@HedgefundI did some digging and I might have found some info. Jolting Chain has an initial attack that has a base recharge of 8 seconds and a cast time of 2.07 seconds. That attack then creates 2 pets, which each creates 2 pets, with each creates 2 pets. So you can hit up to 15 times (1+2+4+8). The pets each have a recharge of 4 seconds and a cast time of 0 seconds and a  spherical radius of 15 feet. So I assume you will see a good probability to proc on the initial attack, and then each subsequent pet will have a lower but equal probability to proc. I assume the following probabilities apply (assuming 33% recharge):

Initial Cast Proc Probability = PPM x (8/1.33 + 2.07) / 60 = PPM x 13.475%

Pet Proc Probability = PPM x (4 + 0) / [60 x (1 + 0.75x0.15x15)] = PPM x 2.4086%

Cast = 47.16%

Pet = 8.68%

I'm not sure if I'll get to it soon, but I would want to test this and confirm my assumptions. 

FWIW, in my very brief and very casual/subjective testing, Jolting Chain appeared to function as if it were a single-target attack, WRT proc chance.  The chance to proc on secondary targets definitely didn't appear to be ~1/6th of the chance against the primary.

@Number Sixsaid earlier in the thread that the area factor for "chain attacks" is MaxTargets * 0.75.  Based on your numbers, in this case that would be 15 * 0.75 = 11.25, presumably then adjusted (as all area factors are supposed to be) to (11.25 * 0.75) + 0.25 = 8.6875.  That's a pretty high number.  By contrast, if I did it right, my spreadsheet has the adjusted area factor on a 30' sphere at only 3.625.

Anyway, Number Six went on to say in a subsequent post that the chain-attack AF formula only affects two powers, neither of which is Jolting Chain.  So for the moment I'mma assume it's working as a single-target attack, but I'll do some follow up testing too at some point in the near future.  I have Elec control plans, and a procced out Jolting Chain is a very important component of those plans.

24 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Cast = 47.16%

Pet = 8.68%

Minimum proc chance for a 3.5 PPM is:

5 + (1.5 * 3.5) = 10.25%

Cast = 47.16%

Pet = 10.25% (clamped upwards from 8.68% calculated)

Assuming a Pet (x1) plus Pet (x2) plus Pet (x4) chain spawning that hits a maximum of 15 $Targets (including the initial $Target) then you're looking at spawning up to 7 Pets.

1 - (1 - 0.1025)^7 = 53.09% chance of at least 1 extra proc from the 7 Pets spawned after the initial hit

Your mileage may vary, of course.

IifneyR.gif

17 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Minimum proc chance for a 3.5 PPM is:

5 + (1.5 * 3.5) = 10.25%

Good catch, I forgot to apply the minimum.

From what I see, it's 1 ST attack and 14 pets. The cast hits the target, then spawns 2 pets, which makes 4 more, which makes 8 more.

30 minutes ago, Obitus said:

FWIW, in my very brief and very casual/subjective testing, Jolting Chain appeared to function as if it were a single-target attack, WRT proc chance.  The chance to proc on secondary targets definitely didn't appear to be ~1/6th of the chance against the primary.

Any chance you can test it for us and provide me numbers? My time on game tends to be limited, but if you provide me detailed results, I'm good with finding what formulas seem to work.

3 hours ago, Obitus said:

You're right, I am not seeing a drastic reduction in proc performance between the cast and the pets. I'll need to go deeper on this, but my informal test on Perigrine Island seems to support your experience. This could be pretty sweet, as Jolting Chain could effectively be an AoE using ST PPM calculations. I probably won't touch it for 2 weeks (work/life schedule), but I'll definitely want to characterize the performance of proc rates between cast and all jumps. I'd like confirmation if the probability stays the same. If so, pretty huge exploit...cheep, quick recharge, with big proc probabilities.

The possibilities are scary. You can drop 3 damage procs (1 purple), you can drop the FF proc, and the Build Up Proc, Assuming no recharge in the power, the Build Up can hit up to 15 with a probability of 16.8%. FF proc, double that. Damage procs, 58.74%. Purple Proc 75.5%.

I'm gonna try it at Rikti Island and see what happens with a group of monkeys.

Update: Below is one attack on the Rikti mob. Entropic Chaos gave me a 51 point heal, Decimation gave me a Build Up twice, Force Feedback gave me no Recharge Boost, sadly. The rest was sweet sweet damage. Yeah, this is definitely one worth testing out.

Spoiler

Your attack strength has increased temporarily.
You heal Electric Mastery 50.87 points of damage.
You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey with your Jolting Chain for 0.99 points of energy damage!
Your Jolting Chain drains some endurance from Vicious Rikti Monkey!
You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey with your Jolting Chain for 9.81 points of energy damage!
You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 46.23.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Chain Jolt jumps a to a new target, zapping Vicious Rikti Monkey for 19.01 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 6.84.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Chain Jolt jumps a to a new target, zapping Vicious Rikti Monkey for 19.01 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 20.90.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt jumps a second time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 19.01 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Vicious Rikti Monkey takes 71.74 points of bonus Smashing damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 42.78.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt jumps a second time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 19.01 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Vicious Rikti Monkey takes 71.74 points of bonus Smashing damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 68.28.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt jumps a second time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.11 points of energy damage.

Chain Jolt Jump 2: You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 29.69.

Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt jumps a third time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 19.01 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Vicious Rikti Monkey takes 71.74 points of bonus Smashing damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 2.12.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt jumps a third time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 19.01 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Your attack strength has increased temporarily.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 29.89.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt jumps a third time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.11 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 17.34.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt jumps a third time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.11 points of energy damage.

Update 2: Here is an attack sequence....basically attacked until the mobs were dead. (I tried to add a line break for each attack, but I could have overlooked some)

Spoiler

You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey with your Jolting Chain for 0.99 points of energy damage!
You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey with your Jolting Chain for 9.81 points of energy damage!
You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
You hit Vicious Rikti Monkey for 71.74 points of bonus Toxic damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 93.86.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Chain Jolt jumps a to a new target, zapping Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.89 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 68.77.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Chain Jolt jumps a to a new target, zapping Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.89 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Vicious Rikti Monkey takes 71.74 points of bonus Smashing damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 48.93.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt jumps a second time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.89 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: You hit Vicious Rikti Monkey for 71.74 points of bonus Toxic damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Your attack rate has been increased.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Chain Jolt Jump 2! Your Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power is autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt Jump 2 HITS you! Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power was autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 52.76.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt jumps a second time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.89 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: You hit Vicious Rikti Monkey for 71.74 points of bonus Toxic damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 10.75.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt jumps a second time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.11 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 35.58.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Chain Jolt Jump 2! Your Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power is autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: Chain Jolt Jump 2 HITS you! Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power was autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 12.95.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt jumps a third time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.89 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: You hit Vicious Rikti Monkey for 71.74 points of bonus Toxic damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 74.21.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Vicious Rikti Monkey takes 71.74 points of bonus Smashing damage!

Vicious Rikti Monkey takes 71.74 points of bonus Smashing damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 0.73.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 91.81.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Your attack rate has been increased.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Chain Jolt Jump 1! Your Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power is autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Chain Jolt Jump 1 HITS you! Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power was autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 27.38.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 67.45.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 73.72.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 49.18.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt jumps a third time to zap Vicious Rikti Monkey for 11.89 points of energy damage.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 13.17.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 10.01.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: You blast Vicious Rikti Monkey for 107.08 points of bonus negative energy damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Your attack rate has been increased.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Chain Jolt Jump 3! Your Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power is autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt Jump 3 HITS you! Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power was autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: MISSED Vicious Rikti Monkey!! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 96.09.

Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 89.58.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 20.25.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 82.15.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 68.84.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 82.31.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 51.24.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 49.45.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 26.38.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Chain Jolt Jump 3! Your Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power is autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: Chain Jolt Jump 3 HITS you! Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power was autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 41.67.

Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 6.01.

Chain Jolt Jump 1: Vicious Rikti Monkey takes 71.74 points of bonus Smashing damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Your attack rate has been increased.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Chain Jolt Jump 1! Your Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power is autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: Chain Jolt Jump 1 HITS you! Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge power was autohit.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 44.56.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 74.02.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 61.83.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 69.01.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 7.34.

Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 65.26.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: You hit Vicious Rikti Monkey for 71.74 points of bonus Toxic damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 36.86.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: You hit Vicious Rikti Monkey for 71.74 points of bonus Toxic damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 54.81.

Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 50.78.

Your attack rate has been increased.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 26.46.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 38.90.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 56.05.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 45.77.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 70.74.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 63.66.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 55.98.
Chain Jolt Jump 3: You hit Vicious Rikti Monkey for 71.74 points of bonus Toxic damage!
Chain Jolt Jump 3: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 75.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 51.54.

Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 24.66.
Chain Jolt Jump 2: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 85.03.

Your attack rate has been increased.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 86.59.
Chain Jolt Jump 1: HIT Vicious Rikti Monkey! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 46.16.

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1

• City Council

Jolting Chain will be an autopower on a pseudopet, so it'll probably do the calculation with 10 second period regardless of the actual summoning power.

Old-style chain type powers are autopowers on pets, and they're typically spherical AoEs with a 1 target max (so they always pick the closest eligible target). I don't think area factor takes the target cap into account so it'll probably be calculated like an AoE for the extra jumps.

• Like 3

I want to thank everyone for what this thread has become. Originally it was a post I made in the General Discussion forum in hopes to find some smart folks who could help test the mechanics of the game (I still thought we were working off of percentages until a discussion on optimal Sonic Attack ST attack chains made me realize the game has changed... a lot). After some guidance from a CoH all-timer (shout out to Hopeling), I took it upon myself to do that testing and many things were discovered, which led to a snowball of other testers making their own discoveries which has greatly helped the community. 

Recently, this thread was moved to the Guides section. I was confused by that initially as I never thought of the work being done here constituted as a guide. Nonetheless, looking over everything that was discovered and all the information that has come to light, it seems it is indeed time to treat this thread as a Guide and provide as much information to the players to help them understand the new game mechanics of i25. With that said, I am starting to overhaul the front page of this thread in hopes to build it up as an Informational Guide. I hope to keep it up with anything new that is discovered/confirmed, and hopefully it helps all your min/max'ing theory-crafters to come up with new builds to show off.

Anyways, thanks again for all the help. Although the front page will look different, the work going on behind the scenes won't change. I still want to test Pseudopets, I still want to find out why the FF proc sometimes stacks its duration (it shouldn't ... from what I've seen), and I still want to find a true chain attack :).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bopper said:

Recently, this thread was moved to the Guides section.

That was my fault.

I asked the forum mods to move this thread here (and presumably they figured the idea had merit) so it wasn't subject to the high turnover of the threads on the General forum.  Also, this thread may not have started out as a guide (per se), the research that has been done and shared within this guide really has become something of a touchstone for the entire subject of proc and how to (ab)use them in builds.  At this point, this thread is basically a repository of experience and knowledge (and blatant theorycrafting) that really deserves to be in the Guides forum (I think).  I've even go so far as to say it deserves a sticky.

And as one of the "share the wealth" believers, when it comes to knowledge and experience, this thread has most definitely become a resource so valuable that it's making me think of doing v2.0 for a lot of the builds I'd already posted in the forums ... so I Blame You Entirely for that, since time spent in the build planner is time I can't spend playing.

• Like 2

IifneyR.gif

8 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

That was my fault. 

I asked the forum mods to move this thread here (and presumably they figured the idea had merit) so it wasn't subject to the high turnover of the threads on the General forum.  Also, this thread may not have started out as a guide (per se), the research that has been done and shared within this guide really has become something of a touchstone for the entire subject of proc and how to (ab)use them in builds.  At this point, this thread is basically a repository of experience and knowledge (and blatant theorycrafting) that really deserves to be in the Guides forum (I think).  I've even go so far as to say it deserves a sticky.

And as one of the "share the wealth" believers, when it comes to knowledge and experience, this thread has most definitely become a resource so valuable that it's making me think of doing v2.0 for a lot of the builds I'd already posted in the forums ... so I Blame You Entirely for that, since time spent in the build planner is time I can't spend playing.

Thank you for the praise. I do agree, it has grown into quite the repository of knowledge and a Guide is definitely appropriate. I should clarify, I wasn't upset by the move, just surprised because I hadn't taken the time to reflect on what the thread had grown into.

Sorry for all the extra build planning. That was my fault... I wanted folks to rethink what was capable 😛

Edited by Bopper

On 6/27/2019 at 3:01 AM, Bopper said:

For Click Type Powers:

Probability to Proc = PPM x (MRT+ CastTime) / (60 x AreaMod)

For all other Powers (Toggles, Auto, Pseudopets?):

Probability to Proc = PPM x ActivatePeriod / (60 x AreaMod)     

*Note* This is not the ActivatePeriod of the power, it is the ActivatePeriod of the Proc Enhancement which seems to always be 10 seconds. 

Modified Recharge Time:    

MRT = BaseRecharge / ( 1 + RechargeBoost_from_Enhancements_and_Alpha / 100 )

*Note* The MRT is not affected by outside global recharge boosts, such as Hasten, Set IO bonuses, team buffs, etc

Area Modifier:     

AreaMod = 0.25 + 0.75 x AF

*Note* This is a dampening effect Phil "Synapse" incorporated for i24. He felt the game's Area Factor punished procs too much

Area Factor:

Single Target:     AF = 1

Sphere (PBAoE or Target AoE):     AF = 1 + 0.15 x Radius

Cone:     AF = 1 + 0.15 x Radius - 0.011 x Radius x (360 - Arc) / 30

*Note* The original Range of a Cone Attack is considered the Radius. Enhancing the Range will not change the Radius, thus will not affect the proc probability.

Chain:     AF = 1 + 0.75 x MaxTargetsHit

*Note* I have yet to find a power in the game that is tagged as a kEffectArea_Chain that would use this Area Factor. FYI, Refractor Beam is tagged as kEffectArea_Sphere

One Formula to Rule them All (Except Chain):     AF = 1 + Radius x (11 x Arc + 540) / 30,000 

*Note* For Single Target, Radius = 0.  For Sphere, Arc = 360.

Maximum Probability to Proc:

MaxProb = 90%

Minimum Probability to Proc:

MinProb = 5% + PPM x 1.5%

List of PPM values for Procs:

The PPM for each Proc can be found HERE although this information has not yet been vetted for Homecoming servers as of yet.

Speaking just for myself ... this is great as a "show your work" exercise demonstrating what all the parts and pieces are when plugging formulas together ... but it kind of sucks for any kind of copy/paste work to use for plug'n'play when making a forum post.  For that kind of functionality, I'd want the formula already written out in its entirety so all I needed to so is substitute in the appropriate values read off the screen in the Hero Planner and compute my answer.  Also, I'd honestly prefer to see the * character instead of the x character used for multiplication (computer programming habits, doancha'know).

So here's how I would summarize the above into single expression formulas for plug'n'play use in forum posts (and calculator applications that let you write out the entire formula for computation):

Click Powers that are NOT chains

PPM * ((BaseRecharge / ( 1 + RechargeBoost from Enhancements and Alpha / 100 )) + CastTime) / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + Radius * (11 * Arc + 540) / 30,000))) = Proc Chance

*Note* For Single Target use Radius = 0 and Arc = 0.

*Note* For Sphere, Arc = 360. Use the Radius and Arc values provided in the Info panel of your Build Planner.

Click Powers that ARE chain attacks

PPM * ((BaseRecharge / ( 1 + RechargeBoost from Enhancements and Alpha / 100 )) + CastTime) / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + 0.75 * MaxTargetsHit))) = Proc Chance

Toggle, Auto (and Pseudopets?) that are NOT chains

PPM x 10 / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + Radius * (11 * Arc + 540) / 30,000))) = Proc Chance

*Note* For Single Target use Radius = 0 and Arc = 0.

*Note* For Sphere, Arc = 360. Use the Radius and Arc values provided in the Info panel of your Build Planner.

Toggle, Auto (and Pseudopets?) that ARE chain attacks

PPM x 10 / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + 0.75 * MaxTargetsHit))) = Proc Chance

5 + PPM * 1.5 = Minimum proc % chance

90% = Maximum proc % chance

The PPM for each Proc can be found HERE although this information has not yet been vetted for Homecoming servers as of yet.

*Note* The Proc Chance value returned by this formula will, for example, be 1.0 for a 100% chance to proc.  Just multiply the answer by 100 to see it as a straight % chance to proc.

Feel free to provide this info, Bopper, anywhere you feel would be useful for someone wanting to use this thread as a reference touchstone for computing proc chances.

Edited by Redlynne
pytos

IifneyR.gif

2 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Speaking just for myself ... this is great as a "show your work" exercise demonstrating what all the parts and pieces are when plugging formulas together ... but it kind of sucks for any kind of copy/paste work to use for plug'n'play when making a forum post.

I actually had the same feeling when looking over the post. I agree, and will revisit the front matter to provide a single formula, then leave the rest as a breakdown.

Did some additional testing on Jolting Chain as it is a very unique power for Proc'ing. The results of my tests (provided below) show that the initial cast does in fact act as a Single Target attack, then it summons pseudopets in a chain, where each pseudopet can hit only 1 target and it searches for that target in a 15 foot radius around the previously hit target. This pseudopet uses the non-click formula, so it uses the Proc's 10 second ActivatePeriod for its calculations.

Quick note, this test is not as extensive I normally like to do. Normally I use Beta server with HeroStats, however a recent update to Beta has caused HeroStats to not work. This forced me into making a new character on live, which I did. However, due to lack of resources I only got him to level 17 and slotted it with Explosive Strike (ES) and the Gladiator's Javelin (GJ) procs (both 3.5 PPM). Then I ran around Perez Park filling up my combat log which I finished parsing through today. Here are the results:

Jolting Chain Test
  ES Proc GJ Proc Opportunities % Combined
Cast 39 42 73 55.5%
Jolt 1 28 14 112 18.8%
Jolt 2 23 23 127 18.1%
Jolt 3 19 29 99 24.2%
All Jolts 70 66 338 20.1%

For the initial cast on the single target, the probability of proc'ing for each of ES and GJ is 58.7% 

Prob = 3.5 * (8+2.07) / 60 = 0.587417

For the Jolt pseudopets, the probability of proc'ing is 21.7%

Prob = 3.5 * (10) / (60 * (1 + 0.15*0.75*15) ) = 0.21754

My results had 73 opportunities for each proc (146 samples) and there were a combined 81 procs, which resulted in a 55.5% proc performance. Using Binomial Probability theory, the likelihood of getting 81 procs or less out of 146 samples is 23.61%. So although the results are a bit unlucky (86 procs would've been the most likely result), we are in the ballpark of what was expected.

For the Jolt pets, there were 338 opportunities for each proc (676 samples) and there were a combined 136 procs, which resulted in a 20.1% proc performance. The likelihood of getting 136 procs or less out of 676 samples is 17.01%. Again, the results were unlucky (146 procs would've been the most likely result), we are not so far outside the expected performance to suggest the formulas used are incorrect.

If HeroStats gets fixed for Beta, I will do a more extensive test (add the 4.5 ppm purple proc) on much more targets (Rikti Monkey island is useful). Hopefully additional results will lead to the testing performance regressing to the formula's suggested performance. For now, I will go ahead and confirm that this is how you calculate the Proc performance for Jolting Chain (and by extension Synaptic Overload, which works the same way).

Updated the front page to look more like a Guide. Anyone who would like to proofread and provide constructive criticism, please PM me with your comments and I will strongly consider them for edits. Also, I will take suggestions if there is anything I haven't covered that should be. Pseudopets is probably the most glaring thing, and Pseudo-Chains (e.g. Jolting Chain). I will definitely add those in later.

• Thanks 1