Is this what heroes do, if they exist in real life?

Six-Six

Isn't it cool how the role-playing goes beyond the game. If you think about it, you have your toon (you probably have a tonne of alts, but I'm sure you have a favourite one). Now you're toon exists in the game and sooner or later you have to log out and get back to "reality" where work and responsibilities and normal civic life reside. But after work, most likely at night, you play maybe a few hours at a time as your hero. Aren't you like Bruce Wayne during the day, trying to fit in, work, bring home the bacon. But at night, you go off and patrol the city for crime or go off to missions or supergroups. Then before the night ends, you go back home (log out) so you can get ready for the coming day of normal work and responsibilities. =)

It probably would be this way for the majority of heroes with secret ID's who aren't kings of ancient underwater realms, or island princesses, or billionaires, or able to crush coal into perfect diamonds.

I think that's one of the reasons Spider-man is so popular.  He has to try to find the balance between work, life, and superheroics wherever/however he can.

“Bills Paid? Yes”

“Term Paper...done”

“Uploaded photos to Daily Bugle.”

“I Called Betty back...okay time to web-sling.”

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I know that's pretty much how it is for Kai...

Wake up in the morning

Feed the cat and the fish

Run some errands for the family business

Go to work (She's an intern-)

Study and practice

… and once all that's done, she gets to hang with her friends. XD 

It's just that her cat is a giant, glowing panther spirit, the "family business" involves mail-order Wailers, her boss is Scirocco, she's studying Oranbegan dark magic and her friends are a bunch of teen-and-twenty-something super-powered nutballs. XD

• Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

It probably would be this way for the majority of heroes with secret ID's who aren't kings of ancient underwater realms, or island princesses, or billionaires, or able to crush coal into perfect diamonds.

I think that's one of the reasons Spider-man is so popular.  He has to try to find the balance between work, life, and superheroics wherever/however he can.

“Bills Paid? Yes”

“Term Paper...done”

“Uploaded photos to Daily Bugle.”

“I Called Betty back...okay time to web-sling.”

To my knowledge heroes under Hero Corps get paid like any other job.

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

Yeah, but the bosses micromanage you, they won’t pay overtime, and your responsible for buying your own red and white costume.  Check out the Glassdoor reviews...you don’t want to work for Hero Corp

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Yeah, but the bosses micromanage you, they won’t pay overtime, and your responsible for buying your own red and white costume.  Check out the Glassdoor reviews...you don’t want to work for Hero Corp

On the other hand, Arachnos isn't any better. And you don't want to ask about their termination policy.

I have heard it’s murder working there...but all the glassdoor reviews say “Lord Recluse is awesome.  Best Boss ever.”  It’s funny...all of them say that, except for this one, “Lord Recluse is awesome (please send help).”

On the other hand, Arachnos isn't any better. And you don't want to ask about their termination policy.

Hero Corps' colours are two tone blue, Freedom Corps which is a non-profit organisation (although financed in large part by NATO donations) is the one backing Longbow and its Red Cross coloured uniforms. :P

You still get paid in Freedom Corps though, to allow for heroes to work full time if they want.

Unpaid vigilantes with secret identities (or even public identity heroes who choose to go unpaid for some reason) definitely exist though.

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

Hero Corps' colours are two tone blue, Freedom Corps which is a non-profit organisation (although financed in large part by NATO donations) is the one backing Longbow and its Red Cross coloured uniforms. :P

You still get paid in Freedom Corps though, to allow for heroes to work full time if they want.

Unpaid vigilantes with secret identities (or even public identity heroes who choose to go unpaid for some reason) definitely exist though.

I stand corrected... (I was just being silly)

• 3 weeks later

I know it's a little old but well reading this topic I was thinking unemploy'd heroes and vigilantes seem to be doing mostly volunteer work and shaping the world to be what they believe better. 

I play exclusively villains. And it amuses me that this question of what do they do when they're not doing their super villainy would never come up because super villains "job" is what they do with their superpowers.  Not all of them put them to the most efficient use as many mad scientists could certainly sell their super serums to  Medical research to counter muscular diseases and make plenty of money off that. However their way of supporting themselves is almost always wrapped in to the whole thing of what they are accomplishing with their villainy. 

So the amount of superheroes living a normal life somewhere under a different identity is much greater then villains doing the same. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

I feel that it depends on what power level your character is and where in his career as a hero he is.

If you are a street-level tough guy, or a beginner, or both, your vigilantism could be something you do to spice up your unremarkable life or find meaning. You still go to work regularly (and maybe hate it), but it's when you put on the mask that you truly come alive. 

OTOH if you are a godlike incarnate who stares down giant monsters on a weekly basis, you probably are on somebody's payroll (Longbow, Hero Corp, etc.). Assuming that there are huge persistent threats, it makes sense to pay you for what you do best - kicking those threats in the teeth! You are a precious resource whose wellbeing might make a difference between Lusca eating a bunch of people tomorrow or restaurants serving octopus sushi at a discount price. Like heroes from Tiger and Bunny or One Punch Man, you make your living hero-ing and maybe have a side gig to keep you sane and remember that it's not all fighting all the time. I.e. my main is a professor at Paragon U, and he enjoys teaching, but keeps limited hours and realizes that his first and foremost obligation is to fight on the City's behalf when the next threat comes calling.

• 2 weeks later

Things get even more dicey if your character is something other than Human.  I'm not talking about a shapeshifter, either.  Either some sort of monster, fantasy creature, or alien.  I imagine various organizations would be keeping uncomfortably close tabs on you at all times.  I imagine my alien bounty hunter loiters around on his grounded ship, tweaking his gear and weapons until needed.

I mean, good luck being an alien looking for a day job.  "Reptilians Need Not Apply" in the window and all that.