Power Leveling

SpaceLeo

I regularly run "Anyone with a travel power" radio and newspaper missions in Peregrine Island and Grandville starting at +1x8 and going up from there depending on how we do and I usually have a few level 10-25 people bashing through a load of levels fairly rapidly. We usually get up to +3x8 and stick it out there as long as we avoid malta and carnies. I've had people arrive at level 4 and still be able to contribute (although this works better for support sets).

If you see Mother Blight on the LFG, feel free to send me a message and join in the fun.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

I run a lot of fire farms for my alts and anyone in my sg, or any of my personal friends that I know are competent enough to effectively play the character they rolled.

I don't mind farming as it gets me more influence/recipes, but I want to do my Civic duty and prevent players from hopping into higher level content or incarnate trials not knowing the basic mechanics of how to play their characters.

I don't mind farming as it gets me more influence/recipes, but I want to do my Civic duty and prevent players from hopping into higher level content or incarnate trials not knowing the basic mechanics of how to play their characters.

The game isn't difficult to understand. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of resources on how to play this game. There is no "civic duty" when it comes to letting people have fun. If you play an MMO, you know how tanks, healers, damage dealers, and CCers work. The game is very forward and is even easier to understand. Not to mention the amount of people who will help one another learn the in's and out's of a character, the sets, and/or the AT.

I got a Tanker to 50 after never having played either of the sets (Bio Armor/Ice Melee) or the actual class. It was not difficult to understand, and infact, it was incredibly easy and mind numbingly boring. Guess what? Not only did we clear the task force, but nothing bad happened.

TLDR: This game is not difficult and people should stop gatekeeping people who want Level 50s. Stop perpetuating the idea that this game is hard, when it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game isn't difficult to understand. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of resources on how to play this game. There is no "civic duty" when it comes to letting people have fun. If you play an MMO, you know how tanks, healers, damage dealers, and CCers work. The game is very forward and is even easier to understand. Not to mention the amount of people who will help one another learn the in's and out's of a character, the sets, and/or the AT.

I got a Tanker to 50 after never having played either of the sets (Bio Armor/Ice Melee) or the actual class. It was not difficult to understand, and infact, it was incredibly easy and mind numbingly boring. Guess what? Not only did we clear the task force, but nothing bad happened.

TLDR: This game is not difficult and people should stop gatekeeping people who want Level 50s. Stop perpetuating the idea that this game is hard, when it isn't.

Sorry but this is very much not true. back and live and now, very few tankers are competent let alone good. Even fewer blasters are competent. Some ATs like brute and scrapper are pretty uch impossible to not be at least competent with, while some like MM and DOms take a fair bit of understanding the ins and outs of things like magnitudes on CC abilities or the modes of their pets to be more then a spectator in teams.

At 50, one or two incarnates will often so thoroughly dominate non incarnate content as to carry the worst of players and many of those same bad players egos wont let them see that they are just bodies filling space and not actually being of any use.

A power set like Bio Armor has been well stated at this point as being brokenly OP, it never made it to live nor got the fine tuning it obviously needs to not over shadow every other defense set. So basically it is a crutch that bad players can use to feel competent While in the hands ofa  skilled player it basically is an I Win button.

If someone cant climb their way to 50 now with the xp boosting etc, in a few weeks they likely are struggling enough with that power set that they either need to learn or need to try something else.

Personally I put everyone advertising for farms or asking for farms on ignore. As Ill never want them in my TFs or among my SGs ranks.

Sorry but this is very much not true. back and live and now, very few tankers are competent let alone good. Even fewer blasters are competent. Some ATs like brute and scrapper are pretty uch impossible to not be at least competent with, while some like MM and DOms take a fair bit of understanding the ins and outs of things like magnitudes on CC abilities or the modes of their pets to be more then a spectator in teams.

At 50, one or two incarnates will often so thoroughly dominate non incarnate content as to carry the worst of players and many of those same bad players egos wont let them see that they are just bodies filling space and not actually being of any use.

A power set like Bio Armor has been well stated at this point as being brokenly OP, it never made it to live nor got the fine tuning it obviously needs to not over shadow every other defense set. So basically it is a crutch that bad players can use to feel competent While in the hands ofa  skilled player it basically is an I Win button.

If someone cant climb their way to 50 now with the xp boosting etc, in a few weeks they likely are struggling enough with that power set that they either need to learn or need to try something else.

The game isn't difficult. It does not take a long time to grasp the basic concepts of a set, nor does it take a long time to understand how the game plays. This isn't League of Legends or a MOBA. The game is very straight forward and informative of how to play the character.

Personally I put everyone advertising for farms or asking for farms on ignore. As Ill never want them in my TFs or among my SGs ranks.

I already put you on ignore because of how repulsive you would be to roleplay with based on your other threads. Thank you for your input, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With such limited content (you can't tell me the issue 0/1 contacts are in any way decipherable from one another) there's only so many times you can go through the game the "legit" way. As long as someone is having fun and being kind to one another, I think any method of leveling is legitimate so long as it's not breaking the code of conduct.

The game isn't difficult. It does not take a long time to grasp the basic concepts of a set, nor does it take a long time to understand how the game plays. This isn't League of Legends or a MOBA. The game is very straight forward and informative of how to play the character.

I already put you on ignore because of how repulsive you would be to roleplay with based on your other threads. Thank you for your input, though.

Well I don't entirely believe you are ignoring him (since you are replying to him).

But I do agree 100% with everything you said, including ignoring him for the same reasons.  Guess i have 2 on my ignore list

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Well I don't entirely believe you are ignoring him (since you are replying to him).

But I do agree 100% with everything you said, including ignoring him for the same reasons.  Guess i have 2 on my ignore list

I have him on ignore in game, as Starforge mentioned, yes.

I will let you tell me how I'm allowed to play the game but only on the condition that I get to dictate how you play the game as a fair trade. I'll be writing up a dissertation on what's expected of you.

I'm in for this idea...

Here's how you should play City of Heroes:

• Start by Creating a Character...It's a fun and necessary precursor to playing.  The right way to do this is to spend  time deciding what powerset will max your character the most, unless you like to roleplay, and then you might want to work on that bio and costume a bit more, unless you are in a hurry to play in which case you should just pick some fun powers, tweak your costume, and starting playing in less than 5 minutes.  But you to choose from one or more of these three options, unless you came up with an option that's a better fit for you

• Go Heroside in Paragon City (it's by far the most fun), unless you want to walk on the wild Villain side n which the Rogue Isles are the most fun, but if neither of those fit and want a more nuanced experience, go for Praetoria (it's the most fun).  How do you know the "RIGHT" one...go with your gut...besides you can easily change it later, if you don't mind stepping in Seagull poop

• You MUST do a tutorial unless you've already done one or are teaming up with someone who was done one.  Your choice

• Now you are playing the game.  What's important is deciding between 2 playstyles.  You absolutely have to team your thru, and you must solo your way.  My edict to you is try a little bit of both and decide what you like.  And then play the way you choose:  Solo, Team or Both

• Now the only way to get ahead in this game is to fight something and level.  I absolutely insist you AE farm to powerlevel, unless you are busy doing DFB and TF's, in which case you must do that instead, however there as an exception to this rule I made special for you, if you like more story content, then you should run missions.  Those are your only options - unless you street sweep or just want to hang out & roleplay

• Yeah...you've gotten enough experience to level - here's the best way to do it...go see a trainer and pick a power/enhancement slot.  But which are the "right ones".  You should only get Hasten.  Just Hasten, you really don't need anything else.  Well except maybe some other powers...but definitely Hasten, unless you really don't want it...it's still a free country

• What about Inf you say!  The best way to earn is to defeat mobs.  We've already covered playstyles so we won't regurgitate how you earn it, unless you have a rich alt, in which case, BANG, you hit the lottery

• But Spending Inf - this is where there are strict rules.  You have to buy stuff with it.  That's it.  I'm sorry, I won't budge on this.

• How about Enhancements?  Well there are a lot of opinions on this, but the one I'm going to enforce is get some.

• What about the Market?  There 3 strategies you must use if you are using the market.  1.) Sell Stuff, 2.) Buy Stuff (which really helps with the last bullet), 3.) If you want to make a profit, buy the salvage and recipes you want, craft them, optional: convert them to something better, but here's where I get inflexible again - sell it for more than you spent on it.

• What about I/O's?  Do I have to use them?  I know you'll hear a lot of people tell you that they are much better use of time and money than Origin Enhancements, so it would be wise to listen, but I'll you to decide for yourself

• Do I have to roleplay?  No, I'm flexible on this, but IF you do decide to, my one rule is this - Be Kind!

• Final Overarching Rule(s) I have:  Be kind to others, Have Fun, take Hasten (or not), Have fun, Assume best intent from others because there is not tone on the internet, Have fun,

So these are my demands of you.  Let's hear yours.  (+1 Inf for this post)

• Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

JB, you are a hoot. Though I think Pester was trying to say that to Bentley :P

I knew that.  I was just caught up in idea of my post I ran with it.  Anyone else want to let me tell them to do?

I have him on ignore in game, as Starforge mentioned, yes.

I missed that, sorry.  I think play the forum game more than the actual game.  I have ignored no one in game, but 2 people on the forums

• 2 weeks later

So I'm a level 22 Radiation Defender with Radiation 2ndary. I get my head handed to me in AE missions, even the easy ones. Anyone have any ideas how I can level up quickly? The rest of my SuperGroup is basically Level 50 except for us poor Defenders.

Either look for or start radio missions in Talos. That's probably the best bet for grouping up which is the best way to get XP. There's not really a go-to for 20-30 so people tend to jump for 20-30ish radio group. First Ward is one of the cooler story areas and actually pretty good for solo-leveling, which I've never done with a defender so not sure how fast that would move. Anyway, there's lots of shorter 3-mission arcs, some of which drop a ton of completion XP and 9 merits a pop. Also, people often form mission groups for FW.

On the getting clobbered problem, if you haven't yet, 22 is a great time to fill out your enhancement slots with crafted vanilla IOs. They're still pretty cheap to craft at that point and strong enough to keep using for another ten levels or so. If you have merits built up, you can sell converters for about 100k a pop - 300k a merit. I haven't run a defender but having an alt build slotted for damage might be the way to go for solo. The workbench IOs are cheap enough to maintain two builds if you craft them.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:36 AM, Bentley Berkeley said:

So lets see that puts the list to:
Anyone whose lore RP isn't up to your standards.
Anyone who has a character you consider inappropriate.
Anyone who doesn't RP that security level = power level.
Anyone who claims any capabilities not supported by the game mechanics of their character.
Anyone who publicly PLs others.
Anyone who seeks PLs publicly. 

Am I missing anyone you consider beneath your notice?

• Like 3

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

7 hours ago, Zolgar said:

So lets see that puts the list to:
Anyone whose lore RP isn't up to your standards.
Anyone who has a character you consider inappropriate.
Anyone who doesn't RP that security level = power level.
Anyone who claims any capabilities not supported by the game mechanics of their character.
Anyone who publicly PLs others.
Anyone who seeks PLs publicly. 

Am I missing anyone you consider beneath your notice?

You sure do seem hung up on me and my personal preferences. I often find it funny how its when I am not doing other then offering my own opinion that I trigger some easily offended type. Frankly I feel dirty even responding to a clearly off topic personal attack post like yours. Mine was just a comment on PLving as a whole and how I avoid those who partake of it. Yours pure personal attack on myself.

Now I am sure you think your some do gooding forum paladin, but what you are in fact is pure trolling here as you couldnt even bother to attempt to make your reply to me relevant to the topic. Hell you even brought in other thread discussions, which while Im not 100% on the HC forums etiquette is often against the rules on most other game forums if its done with intent to harass another player rather then expand a  discussion.

But since you care so much here is who makes my friends list. Those who  run TFs I lead and do so without conflict with me or others or complains. Those who I RP with that I meet that have well done bios, good character designs, dont have any major conflicts with the game lore etc. Those whom I help and wish to stay in touch for further help.

Even with my apparently high criteria that seems to offend you so very very much, I have to constantly clean up both character friend lists and my global because I am always needing to make room for new folks. I mean if I didnt have standards my lists would be bloated and serve no real use.

Please feel free to put me on ignore in game because I certainly would never want you joining one of the TFs I pug out.