How to get the funnest missions?

Kodo

The other day I found myself in a mission on an oil rig, the inside was big and open and in the middle of the mission an Arch Villain appeared, gave us a good fight then teleported away, and then we fpund ourselves outside on top of an oil rig, in the middle of the ocean, where there's helicopters, and dudes in mini planes flying around shooting at us, and it ended with fighting the Arch Villain followed by an even tougher, huge blue robot. This was hands down the funnest mission I've done.

& I hate the cubicles missions...

There's obviously a difference between OG content and evolved content. The newer stuff is better.

If it was up to me, every mission would have an Arch Villain and 50-70% of the missions would be outside or have an outside area.

Is there a way to get the fun missions that end with AV fights or is it random? And is there also a way to avoid the mold that is cubicles, caves, sewers, warehouse? There's really good maps in this game but they seem to be buried under the original content stuff.

It's mostly content age.  Looking up missions in Oroboros will arrange them in order of release date to help.  But like, there's big differences after a point.  Like...  Synapse and Citadel both end in AV fights, but they're slogs through Clockwork or Council, respectively, in generic missions until you hit an uneventful AV battle.  Compare to the Imperious Task Force, which has you doing things like pushing through armies up a hill, fighting hordes of robots while you try to destroy their control system, and ambushes from groups comprised purely of boss enemies, and more.

But really, newer content in general.  But most arcs will still have more ordinary missions in between the start and the climatic finale like you experienced.