Crashing This Economy With No Survivors - How to Abuse Super Packs for Profit

Timrod

Picked up another Windfall this afternoon so set aside some time to get test out the drops again. Still a pretty good haul. Ran just a little over 3x the Comic Con arc with Normal Rewards. As you can see in the pic below; 3 Purples, 3 PVPs, a LotG Def/End, and a few others that can be crafted and converted. The recipes you see sitting in the auction house were moved over during the run to make room. And you can see the salvage I walked away with (deleted tons of common along the way). I'm pretty happy with what I walked away with.

CBBb01f.jpg

• Like 1

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

• 2 weeks later
On 8/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, Hopeling said:

Even ignoring the increase in drops, Windfall is still +25% inf for an hour.

I know the OP in this thread primarily emphasized ATOs, but those aren't the only thing you get from Super Packs. The ATOs by themselves don't earn back the price tag, but the rest of the contents make up the difference. I've been opening 60 super packs (30 H&V, 30 R&V, no winter packs) at a time for a while now, and while it is random, 60 packs is enough that my outcome always looks roughly like:

• ~75 ATOs (600m)
  • ~50 converters (mostly used to convert the low-demand ATOs)
  • ~50 unslotters (7m)
  • ~10 boosters (14m)
  • ~5 catalysts (15m)
  • ~600 reward merits, with which I buy 120 boosters (168m)
  • ~800 Brain Storms, which turns into 40 rare salvage (20m)

Altogether that sells for ~824m inf, which is a profit of ~140m inf after market fees. It takes about 20 minutes to go through all the packs, claim all the items, convert them, and list them; it takes a couple days for everything to sell, at which point I do another batch. If anything, my estimates above are lowballing it, because I seem to make more than that per batch. Plus I get a nice stash of amplifiers, inspirations, rezzes, Windfalls, and Experienced to use as I please on any character.

I don't think Super Packs are nearly reliable enough to be a smart way to grow your first fifty million inf. But if you have a few hundred million, they're a great way to turn that into a few billion.

I finally spent a little time on this for the sake of research.  I've spent a few billion on the non-winter super packs, and my upshot is that pretty consistently the ATOs, if properly sold/converted and sold, pay for the price of admission (along with the brainstorm ideas).  Everything else is gravy, but it doesn't seem to be super profitable gravy. 

I ended up using all the converters to change the crummy ATOs into more attractive ones and the brainstorms for rare salvage, leaving the merits, boosters, catalysts, unslotters, temp powers and inspirations for profit.

Who run Bartertown?

Ran another Windfall farm. This time around, I decided to better track exactly how much inf would be gained from the 1 hour (for science!), so I cleared out all influence, recipes and salvage before starting. As well as let all my transactions finish on the Auction House. Mainly because I'm too lazy to add and subtract it all on top of what I already had going on.

I completed 3 Comic Con Arcs, and dumped recipes onto the market to make room for more drops as I went along.

This time around I picked up 3 Purples and 3 PVP IOs again. Seems like the average for very rare drops is sitting at around 6 an hour with Windfall going. Picked up enough salvage to make most recipes I crafted and sold (and used what I had in base storage for the rest). Earned just over 42 million in inf. Sold common recipes (which off set the listing costs). And after a few days sold all the loot, walking away with 134 Million from one hour of farming. Could have been more, but I left experience on and farmed at level 50.

Pics below for details.

Spoiler

vgKq7CB.jpg

ZY1SxAe.jpg

TzS3lvi.jpg

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Interesting results.

You should have bought all crafting salvage rather than use stored salvage for a more exact number but it probably doesn't make that much of a difference (less than market variations on what you sell for sure).

Now do it again without Windfall :) if I do it then our difference in toon build or farming style would not make for apples to apples.

• 2 weeks later

Best use of Windfall for AE farming is to grab another toon at level 49, exemp off of them (as a 50 farmer) so that you are now effectively lvl 49, but with all your lvl 50 iPowers, Purples, etc intact.  Options> Double Influence when Exemped.  Let them pick the mission (Comic Con or other) at +4/x8, and dual-box or dual-instance but they never come inside the farm.

The exemp trick alone nets you around ~40% more or so per boss vs running solo farming at 50, plus extra per Lt/Minions as well.  With Windfall running as well, you’ll get a significant boost to max influence earned per hour vs just solo farming.  Not stopping to sell, I am running 4-5 mins per run, just in/out.  I can get in 12-14 runs pretty consistently (2-2.8 arcs total) and between ampe’d influence and multiple Purple drops, it’s not rare for me to max out more than 200MM per hour after selling.

Edited by Crysis

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, Papaschtroumpf said:

Can someone point me to a fire farm that gives you more inf when examplared? The comic Con lvl49 seems to yield the same as the comic Con level 50?

Make sure you’ve set your Options properly.  

Once Exemplared, you need to choose "Disable Earning XP = Earn XP" and then right below it "XP While Exemplared = Double Influence, No XP"

The mechanics of this as I understand it is that in code the "Disable Earning XP = No XP" is basically just giving you influence equivalent to some formula equal to the amount of XP you'd have normally earned but in influence instead whereas the Exemplared Double Influence is coded truly as double influence.

So basically....WAI.

Edited by Crysis

• 1 year later

Is this strategy still viable as a way to make money by selling contents?  I don't have enough data for a conclusion. but my results do raise the question.

tl;dr? 50 packs yielded a direct profit of 36m Inf, about a 7% profit.

As a new player without enough Inf to buy 100 packs at once, I've bought and sold 50 by turning the over in the past two weeks.  Highlights:

• Packs were a LOT more valuable in my first week. I expect my recent bad streak is just RNG, but I'm watching it to see if ATO rates changed with the last patch.
  • My average sale price was a bit higher than in Timrod's OP (8.1m vs 7m, before fees). That's probably a matter of speed: he wanted "fast sales" while my listings are up 3-4 days.
  • Fewer ATOs/pack is the real trouble. Unlike Hopeling, who got 75 ATOs from 60 packs, I got 46 out of 50.
  • Merits didn't balance the drop in ATOs. I got just under 8/pack, compared with Hopeling's 10 per, probably not statistically significant.
  • My numbers count only "direct profit" of anything that can be sold or converted and sold, not potential income from things like Windfall (of which I got one).

Initially, I did no converting of ATOs, so I could learn the market. Over the past few days, I've started converting ATOs if the price is relatively low and either the number of listings is high or the last 5 sales go back more than yesterday.

There wasn't a huge difference between the  Heroes & Villains Packs (35 of them) and Rogue & Vigilante Packs (15). The R&V had a slightly higher profit rate, with a lower % of near-total loss packs, but the H&V came close, thanks to more packs with two ATOs per pack and more with large amounts of merits. All that variation can easily be due to RNG with such a small sample size.

Conclusion? That was a lot of work for that return.  Veterans here could have done it much faster - I spent a lot of time recording data about individual ATOs to learn the market - but even so, the bottom line came out lower than expected. 7% profit is well under the posted figures from 2019, and it's not better than alternatives with less commitment of funds.

Is anyone else seeing similar numbers?

Edited by Runebound
  • Like 1

Good use of a necro thread, as I do think the dynamics have changed over the last year.  A couple of thoughts and observations:

Fifty should enough for a decent sample size, but it looks like you got some really bad rolls.  My experience over time has been receiving around 1.2 ATOs per pack, although I recall getting more from one variety versus the other but don't remember which one tended towards higher yield in my memory.

Getting fewer ATOs means getting more "other stuff", and the marketable other stuff is basically merits, converters, boosters, catalysts, unslotters.  The market value on all of these items have dropped a lot over the past year.  A year ago, you probably still had a good shot at selling converters at 100k apiece, but that number may be 70-75k now.

Also, even the prices of ATOs seem to have dropped.  There used to be some strong sellers (>10mm) but that seems to have dropped from the 10+mm range to 8-10mm.

Every once in a while, if I notice supply seems to be low, I'll buy 100 packs and go through the process of weeding through them, but it's certainly not as profitable as before.  In terms of time spent (both in actual human minutes wading through the supply, converting, listing, etc.) and time waiting (real time -- my turnover time for ATOs is calculated in days or weeks rather than hours), I don't find hero packs to have the same bang for the buck they once had.  

My 2 inf.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?