Nightfall does it really deserve a spot in a Dark Blast build?

Yipp

So I am level 50 with all my Incarnates T3 (one T4) & I am looking over my build carefully based upon how often I use skills & when I do use them their effect on the battle.

Darkest Night for example I do not use often (on Bosses  only), but when I do, its effect is considerable. Then their are obvious powers like Fearsome Stare which I use multiple times in every battle. As I further look at my powers the one that stands out for least effective tool in my tool box is Nightfall.  I have it 6 Slotted with Superior Frozen Blast and the set bonuses are considerable. However I infrequently use this ability.  My Rotation is Gloom, Dark Blast & Life Drain (slotted for damage), no place for nightfall in that. Next we have its purpose, as AOE damage usually thought of in combination with an immobilize like Tenebrous Tentacles.  Its cone is not the same as TT its much narrower. I find I usually grab 2-3 mobs of a larger pack when casting Nightfall, which is very good.  That is equivalent to 3 dark blasts with 1 cast! But I do that infrequently. Usually (solo or in a group) I cast TT to immobilize a section of the battle, while I focus my firepower on what is on the loose, my PBAoE abilities are Incarnate Void & Blackstar which are far superior to Nightfall for many mobs in an uncontrolled mass.  Obviously their is a vast difference in recharge time, range etc.. Then what is left over I mob up with the team, using all my tools including Nightfall... but the truth is.. I don't need to use Nightfall.

So what is this post about?

I am not asking for build advice and which skill to replace Nightfall with (I know what I would do, increase number of enhancements in more frequently used abilities, getting set bonuses etc...) & the 6 slots distributed will make abilities I use frequently better.

What I am looking for is your thoughts and feedback on the power Nightfall. Your frequency of use, your views on its value to you, and any thoughts you may want to express on this subject.  I plan to continue to play with Nightfall for awhile, working on my non-Nightfall build option carefully,,,, and consider my options in a few days or a week.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on Nightfall.

Nightfall only becomes useful on a mostly-ranged character, who slots up some Range enhancements in Tenebrous Tentacles. If you get the Tentacles range up past 50', then you can use them and still get a decent spread on Nightfall. If you have to close in for PBAoE powers or for a base-range TT, then Nightfall is only going to hit a few targets.

For levelling purposes, of course, Nightfall is a major power, since you get the Tier 9 late, and the Judgement even later.

Thanks for the feedback so far...

Ya.. leveling Nightfall had a different feeling... Now with my incarnates in play... I play the game in melee range most of the time, using my controls, heals, dps etc... supporting the troops. Playing at range, you quickly notice your short radius of Twilight Grasp & you heal half or less of your party.  When I play at range is when Nightfall is still useful but even then, its narrow cone rarely targets more than 3 & usually only 2 or 3... I have zero trouble grabbing whole groups with TT its a staple of my play.

• 2 weeks later