Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes

GM Dredd

7 hours ago, LavenderBlue said:

I haven't played COH since it shutdown so I'm starting from scratch here trying to play on my iMac running Catalina 10.15.4.

I have downloaded homebrew and made a COH folder in Applications, and installed Island Rum (the version I have is Catalina 040520202), which installed Wine Devel.

Now I'm at the point where it says Ready to Play (see screenshot), but when I click the blue triangle and get the green check mark that the game is launching, it stops and returns to Ready to Play. I've tried rescanning, restarting Island Rum, and restarting the computer. No change.

Someone mentioned that updating XQuartz can help with this but I checked and I have the most up to date version of that. 

Any other tips or tricks to trouble shoot this? Is there a program I'm missing that I also need? Different version of Island Rum (and if so where can I find it)?

Any advice much appreciated, I want to play again so badly...I still have dreams where I'm flying around as my character. Sigh.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.06.01 PM.png

@LavenderBlue How did you fix the issue?  I'm running into the same problem.

Can anyone make an updated download guide to download the game? Im having an issue with Island Rum, i dragged it into apps on my mac and it wont let me open it. It says that i must have OS X 10.11 or later but i cannot update my mac anymore than my current update. can anyone help me out?

• 3 weeks later
On 5/11/2020 at 3:07 AM, myg0t said:

@LavenderBlue How did you fix the issue?  I'm running into the same problem.

I got it fixed by editing /Applications/coh/islandrum.sh

Remove the garbled line of characters before #/bin/sh

#/bin/sh should be the first line.

Then make the file read-only, to prevent the garbled line from being added again.

It is probably a temporary fix, until they update to a newer version, as IslandRum seemt to try to rewrite the file to update which version it should run.

I think the gabled characters are probably some conversion from Windows that is messing up.

This got me CoH working, after I killed all the win64-launcher processes and restarted IslandRum

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 5/11/2020 at 7:37 PM, O M E N said:

Can anyone make an updated download guide to download the game? Im having an issue with Island Rum, i dragged it into apps on my mac and it wont let me open it. It says that i must have OS X 10.11 or later but i cannot update my mac anymore than my current update. can anyone help me out?

If your computer is unable to run OSX 10.11, then you are probably out of luck.

But that also means you probably have a really old Mac, I think anything from the last 10 years can run 10.11

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

A friend of mine installed the game on Linux (Debian 10.4) yesterday.

He downloaded IslandRum from http://telstar.eekstudio.com

Unzipped the file.

He had one problem, which was solved as follows:

sudo mkdir /usr/local/games/coh

sudo chown 1000:1000 /usr/local/games/coh

Where 1000 needs to be your actual user ID.

After that the game installed flawlessly.

Edited by RogerWilco

I installed the game on Mac 10.14 Mojave using the installer from http://telstar.eeekstudio.com

I had one problem:

The file /Applications/coh/islandrum.sh that gets created by Island Rum, has a line of garbled characters at the start.

I removed the line of garbled characters so the file starts with #/bin/sh

I made the file read-only to prevent IslandRum from overwriting it and adding the garbled characters again.

I have since been playing on my Macbook Pro 2018 with 560X. It runs the game at 2880x1800, although not entirely at 30 fps.

Edited by RogerWilco

• 3 weeks later

ok so i downloaded the game but everytime i open it it says it cannot find the files of the game just the application and then will close any body able to help?

this is the Tequila version btw 

oh nvm I found out it was a computer issue my computer kept closing Tequila before it got done downloading all the way so i had to keep re-opening it to get all the files.

now the game is fully installed i can sign in but it only brings the server called Unnamed that isnt joinable.

Edited by W0lfk1ng2000

Anybody else on a Mac have Island Rum try to update yesterday and get stuck under "Scanning…" after it downloads the ZIP?

I've already rebooted once.

I tried just re-installing Island Rum, but that got me a "CoH.app" that launches as "Wineskin.app" and leaves me stuck with no idea what to do; doesn't seem to follow Dredd's instructions. 😱

• 4 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later
On 3/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

That's a part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. You'll need to re-download the package, not sure which would work, but I'd suggest starting with the one that matches your OS's architecture, and if that doesn't work, go ahead and try the other:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555 (x86)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632 (x64)

I was having this issue and searched this section of the forums for the specific error code "msvcp140.dll". I tried your links. The x86 repaired  the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. I thought everything was scooby. Closed down, restarted but when I try to click the 64 bit client, can't enter. I can use the 32 bit client but it's a bit sluggish compared to the 64 bit so I'd prefer to resolve the issue. Trying to avoid a complete reinstall of Tequila to accomplish it, because who wants to be away for that long? *snickering* Also, being an  old machine, reinstalling may not fix the issue. 

This is occurring on a Toshiba Qosmio X505 Windows 7 Platinum. (Yes, it's over 10 years old. It's my back up. My ASUS ROG bit the dirt. Which is annoying because It's less than 2 years old. I bought the ASUS to step in for the Toshy when the Toshy was in the shop. The ASUS has more bells and whistles but apparently is nowhere near as stable.) 

Any help is appreciated. 

Error Code.PNG

• 1 month later
On 10/25/2020 at 6:57 AM, Nouwer27 said:

I click Tequila but download not started :/

I just tried in Edge with no delay on the download. If you still have issues, then try the new launcher as well.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 4 months later
16 hours ago, FreedomFarmFranchise said:

Sweet, thanks! 

Just in case:

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)