Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes

GM Dredd

Any more on that trickbot? Is it still present?

No, because there is nothing "present". There is no virus in the software, it's a false positive result from the way that the HTTP get behaves, jumping between hosts for the software.

Few comments:

I needed to restart tequila three or four times to get the entire download to work. Hopefully other people have less issues but dont be afraid to stop and start till it gets the job done.

For various reasons C: was not my ideal drive to use - installed to I: just fine. Should work with any drive in windows.

Game still looks pretty good! With it is only 4.44 GB that is amazing.

I'm having to restart it 2-3 times per file...

I was advised not to install on C, and that Documents was the preferred choice. Haven't had a problem. My son had a problem and I checked it out for him. (Either it was a corrupt file, or he accidentally deleted something.) It turns out that OneDrive was the culprit and the reason for his problems. I disabled his OneDrive, deleted everything in his CoH folder and re-downloaded the Tequila client. Took a while, but now all is well.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Few comments:

I needed to restart tequila three or four times to get the entire download to work. Hopefully other people have less issues but dont be afraid to stop and start till it gets the job done.

For various reasons C: was not my ideal drive to use - installed to I: just fine. Should work with any drive in windows.

Game still looks pretty good! With it is only 4.44 GB that is amazing.

I'm having to restart it 2-3 times per file...

Same problem here... I think despite all my firewalls being disabled it might be a windows 10 issue blocking the downloads...even when you run it as an admin. Quite annoying I would rather set it and forget it and regret not going to the Torrent route....has anyone found any solutions to this or do I just have to sit here and mind numbingly reset the tequila as admin every 10 files or so?

I was advised not to install on C, and that Documents was the preferred choice. Haven't had a problem. My son had a problem and I checked it out for him. (Either it was a corrupt file, or he accidentally deleted something.) It turns out that OneDrive was the culprit and the reason for his problems. I disabled his OneDrive, deleted everything in his CoH folder and re-downloaded the Tequila client. Took a while, but now all is well.

No this is wrong.

You want to install to someplace like c/games/cityofheroes  not c/cityof heroes or in documents.  I just spent the day helping people with problems that had it in places like their download folder, in documents etc. Obviously onedrive isn't a good place for it either. 

You can also put it in d/games/cityofheroes or f/games/cityofheroes etc etc but avoid places like d/cityofheroes or f/cityofheroes.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,372.0.html

*For Windows 8 and above, it is important that this is not in your Desktop, Documents, or Downloads folder due to permissions.

Step five in dredds guide needs to change to c:/games/coh cause we have seen just to many people have problems with it in the root folder or in other words  c/coh

Furthermore this sticky makes zero mention of the fact your anti virus will often block stuff from downloading, block the game from starting and and to make an exclusion in the anti virus you are using and or your firewall.

The biggest culrprits so far are windows defender which is stock in windows 10, norton 360 and Eset.......

Well Silk, my game is installed in C>Documents>CoH and I have never had a problem so it works for me. (Windows10). For anyone else, they should try your suggestions.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Well Silk, my game is installed in C>Documents>CoH and I have never had a problem so it works for me. (Windows10). For anyone else, they should try your suggestions.

Not saying it will be a problem for everyone but in practice too many people have problems installing there due to permissions.

I can't think of *WHY* the install location would ever matter... except for installing it on a network drive or to the Cloud maybe....

I agree that in theory it shouldn't but in throery hardly ever matches what  happens in practice.  Just ask any of the helpers in discord that spends their days helping people get the game running, even though it was working fine a day ago, from their documents folder  etc etc  Again it's due to permissions.

Far too many people have had issues running from the places we say to avoid, it's not something we just made up but something we are saying due to our experience helping people in discord since bree.

What we need is to all get on the same page so troubleshooting could be simplified.

I have a strange question. I have noticed there are 2 servers that I can see running CoH. This one and another using creamsoda. I have made forum accounts on both but I am dloading creamsoda now on a SSD. Will I be able to hop on this Homecoming server with the creamsoda launcher?

for some odd reason I can n ot login in using the forum name and password.

Your forum account and game account are not the same thing.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Windows is notorious for snowballing problems if the user's profile and associated folders become too great in size. As an example, your "desktop" folder is part of your profile directory (c:/users/(your windows username)/desktop. Documents is in there, too.

I will never understand why people install software in a DOCUMENTS folder.  ::)

Certain folders have certain permissions that change the way software works or is allowed to work.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't install software into your user directory or your desktop or your downloads folder or your documents folder.

I can't think of *WHY* the install location would ever matter... except for installing it on a network drive or to the Cloud maybe....

The folders we're talking about are special folders that the operating system treats differently than most other folders on the drive and for good reason.

Permissions in Windows can get complicated and may not even notify the user when errors or failures occur, causing seemingly random bugs or preventing certain features from functioning. You may not even notice with some applications but other applications, suffering the same errors or failures, may not function at all.

Why do things the wrong way because it works sometimes? Better to do it right the first time and get in to a good habit instead of forming bad habits and then troubleshooting and fixing problems later over and over that could have been avoided.

I have a strange question. I have noticed there are 2 servers that I can see running CoH. This one and another using creamsoda. I have made forum accounts on both but I am dloading creamsoda now on a SSD. Will I be able to hop on this Homecoming server with the creamsoda launcher?

CreamSoda doesn't update the same way Tequila does and can prevent you from connecting if Homecoming rolls out an update. Don't use it. Use Tequila.

The folders we're talking about are special folders that the operating system treats differently than most other folders on the drive and for good reason.

Permissions in Windows can get complicated and may not even notify the user when errors or failures occur, causing seemingly random bugs or preventing certain features from functioning. You may not even notice with some applications but other applications, suffering the same errors or failures, may not function at all.

Why do things the wrong way because it works sometimes? Better to do it right the first time and get in to a good habit instead of forming bad habits and then troubleshooting and fixing problems later over and over that could have been avoided.

Aye glad someone understands have some inf!

Ok so I did all the DL as shown. I get to the play tab and get a pop up error that says the execution cannot proceed because the cg.dll was not found. as well as one saying the Physxcooking.dll was not found and the PhysXLoader was not found. how do I fix this?

Followed all the directions but when I try to put in username and password I get invalid username or password message.

Same as me

I am also getting the same issue. I am already logged into the forum as I log into the game.

Followed all the directions but when I try to put in username and password I get invalid username or password message.

Same as me

I am also getting the same issue. I am already logged into the forum as I log into the game.

Read.

Read the guide that dude took the time to type out for you.

Your forum account and your game account are NOT the same account.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/account/

Same as me

Read.

Read the guide that dude took the time to type out for you.

Your forum account and your game account are NOT the same account.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/account/

Same as me

I HAVE a game account.  I have an email confirming said game account.    Still getting the same error.  INvalid username or password when I try to log into the game.