Favorite Sentinel combo

graeberguinn

Assault Rifle / Bio.

Assault Rifle has so many changes it feels like a whole new set.  It's been quite fun trying different things out.

Bio, based on my personal testing between Fiery Aura's Molten Embrace and Bio Armor's Offensive Adaptation.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far my favorite is Elec/Elec.  I had an Elec/Elec scrapper on live that I really liked but decided to try Sent here.  So far, it's my favorite character.  I have tried scrapper and blaster versions here on Homecoming but I keep coming back to Sentinel.

• Like 1

I like Fire/Bio.  You can cap all your defenses and you still get the extra damage boost from Bio while doings so.  I've been able to solo every villain group on +4/x8 using the build, including arachnos and rogue vanguard, although rogue vanguard required purples.  It can solo AVs too, but it's annoying without envenomed daggers because they run away a lot even if you stand in melee.

23 water/fire here. My theme is elementalist, so I will take electricity as my power pool. I love the thematic combination of setting things on fire using molten embrace while knocking them down with water.

Water works really well with the tidal force mechanic and sentinel opportunities!

• Like 1

Lvl 48 water blast/willpower, and it's amazing. In particular, it blithely slaughters its way through Carnival of Shadow mobs, which is a bit of long-delayed, deeply satisfying revenge.

I have never used a tier 9 power so frequently as I do with Geyser. It's very much part of my rotation, and is fun each time.

• Like 1

I've only been playing for about a month. Tried most of the ATs first, but fell in love with Sentinels.

My main is Dual Pistols/Will Power currently at level 44. Tonne of Fun!

Energy Blast/Rad (2nd fav, levelling just below main)

tried out these to level 10, just to see how they handle. found them fun, but a little more challenging

AR/Super Reflexes

Rad/Invulnerability

Fire/Ice

Elec/Elec

Archery/Ninjitsu

waiting to try these alts currently made, but waiting in line

Water/Ice

Beam/Ninjitsu

Dark/Dark (Warshade minus the tri-form)

Beam/Bio

I dig every single Sentinel combo except maybe psi and sonic but purely because of the animation. Yes, I'm petty like that. Also tried DP/Nin but found it redundant with my main. I try to keep them as thematic or related primaries and secondaries. Haven't made a concept involving /Regen and /Fire. I guess my favourite one is my main, Dual Pistols (for the animation) and Will Power (for the toggle and forget). Then again, he's at a level where I can appreciate his build, so I don't know how much the others will impress me when they do level up.

I heart Sentinels.

Dual Pistols/Ninjitsu

They're made for each other.  Hail of Bullets' defense stacks with Ninjitsu's defense.

+Heal and a +End Power, with a Stealth Power that you can slap a stealth IO in, or just put it in stealth, or put that extra slot with sprint for an additional 2.25% S/L Resist.

Not only is the Stealth power come with good defense, but also +Run/Jump :)  Also nice!

If it had a self rez, it'd be perfect!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want self rez, you can get Back to the Battle from P2W lady. cost like 1 mil, I think. Free if you have the Unbroken Spirit Badge from planting faces. 😃

Also, I do think the devs created Dual Pistols to be paired specifically with Ninjitsu. For one thing, Ninja Run (from P2W) gets rid of DP's "running with broomstick up your butt" animation. 

Edited by Six Six
  • Like 2

• 1 year later

Been a while since this thread was updated and figured more people have a lot more experience now (I know I have) so was worth reviving. 

Elec/Elec/Elec: Superb resist, reasonable defence with clever investment, good single target damage and a good level of soft control. A real Swiss Army knife of a Sentinel. 

Psy/Invul/Psi: Invul is brilliant with anything, but Psy Blast has good proc potential, a good nuke, and scramble thoughts is a delight. 

Rad/NRG/Psi: A bit of a surprise star this one. NRG secondary is a lovely set and quick animating rotation of irradiate —> psychic shockwave —> nuke —> irradiate —> psychic shockwave is delicious. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later
On 7/11/2019 at 1:08 AM, FUBARczar said:

Yeah this was the no-brainer combo for me too, beaming away with a constant 50%+ damage buff in offensive mode. Not to mention the -regen from BR and -res from Opportunity then add your preferred Interface and wow a killing machine.  A great debuffer and DPS for any team.

I'll have to make one. Do you have build to post? 

• 2 weeks later

After enjoying DP/Bio Sent for the last month, I decided to work on a beam/bio....she is in full build now as an incarnate in IOs and Attunes.  And hits like a truck!  My first toon since I arrived a couple months ago, is a ss/bio brute.  The beam/bio sent hits just as hard as the brute.  The DP aoe is more fluid for teams compared to beam imo...but for boss killing the beam wins hands down.  All fun to play. -resists is key with assault for incarnates for the sents.

Would like to add Sonic/Regen to this list if I may. 

The build was an experiment of mine to try and make the absolute most out of Opportunity in it’s current form. Thought sonic -res could stack on opportunity -res and defensive opportunity’s heal could stack on top of Regen when needed. 

It leans heavily on a procced Dominate (as most Sentinels do) for big spike damage but great survivability without any real defence (<20) and resists, and really contributed to teams due to the -res and soft control from shockwave and the nuke. Even solo’d a couple of AVs without insps or temps. 

All in all, a very successful experiment (for once 🤣) and would recommend. 

• Like 2

Tough call, because many combos are fun. I think I like */Bio best because the damage and range boost, plus the ability to go into Defensive mode if stuff hits the fan are great. Not a fan of the effects of some of the powers, but they are not terrible.

I like the Dual Pistols animations, and again the chance to increase damage with Fire Ammo is nice. I don't think I have a DP/Bio Sent, but that might be next. I have a DP/Inv and DP/SR both at 50 and they were a pretty smooth ride.

Right now I'm leveling an Eng/Bio Sentinel, and the KB plus a Chance to Hold proc in the single-target attacks is really great. I added the Dark Epic pool, the Tentacles fit his concept.

Reading here about how everyone likes */Rad makes me want to give it a try, but the effects have put me off in the past; they can kill a concept character if they don't "fit".

• 2 weeks later

Seems like alot of people talk about their "favorite" in terms about how strong it is.

For me, Archery/Invulnerability has been the most fun.  It's not necessarily the strongest, but it's a breeze to play, with Archery having a very fluid, non-hasted attack routine and Invulnerability being a "set and forget" defensive that rarely interrupts that attack routine.  Furthermore, I get to run around with a character using a bow and wearing chainmail.. it's just fun.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

It used to be Beam Rifle / Radiation, for me.  

But, recently, I tries something just for the heck of it:  Fire / Regeneration.

Yep.  That's right, regen.  Now... I've tried regen on scrappers, tanks, and brutes.  Regen is often derided as one of the worst armor sets and, while I don't think it's really "quite" so bad as people say, it certainly does underwhelm when compared to the other choices.

So, imagine my surprise when I discover that the Sentinel version is actually VERY good.  Yeah- I said it.  VERY good.

This character has an unimpressive resist of about 20% vs everything.  His defense is a measley 1.75% (might as well be zero) vs attacks, thanks to hover. 

And, yet- his absorption barrier and regen rate are so good, I can hover in place and let three enemies that con red to me just wail away, and my hp bar barely budges at all.  I actually forgot and left him logged on in the sewers yesterday, when I went to pick up my kid from his gf's house.  The toon was getting beaten on by these 3 reds the entire time I was gone (about 70 minutes) and was completely unscathed.

Also, his endurance replenishes so quickly I can cycle through my attacks almost non-stop, without worrying about running out of juice.  He can be drained/sapped, of course- that's always a danger.  But that's just par-for-the-course when playing CoX.  🤷‍♂️

If you haven't tried regen on a sentinel yet, I do recommend it.  👍

I'll post more on the thread I started, but the Fire/Fire is behaving very well. Burn was key to make me feel like I'm doing damage on a Sentinel. I have it at level 50 and all IOed out. Just lacks incarnates.

Earlier today I was in a TF and had a phone call. We were three or four stalkers, a controller, a defender, and me as the sole sentinel. Up to then we had been killing without a prob at +1, but pushing it to +2 made mobs spawn as +3. When I had to take the phone call things went to hell. Wipes, people trickling back and getting killed. I finish my call and interrupt the 'we should reset the mission' with a 'wait, c'mon, you did it without me'.

And then low key went in, Aim + Gaussian, Inferno, Burn, Fireball, Rain of Fire, start picking at the enemies. We get a -second- pack of mobs as a patrol that joins in. A few die again, I hide behind things to break LoS, heal up, drop another Burn. Aim has recharged, go into another Aim + Inferno. Heal has recharged, use it. We cleared it. After that I just asked to let me go in first and there were no other wipes 😄

This is what I do on my Tanker, but it was pleasant to achieve the same result on the Sentinel.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later
On 7/9/2019 at 12:09 PM, Rathulfr said:

I like Fire/Regen because ... FIRE!  Heh heh heh heh heh ...  It's wicked fast and has good AoE damage.  I play him ranged, usually hovering above the battlefield, raining down fire.  While not as durable as my Energy/WP, he's definitely more durable than my blasters.  If I take significant damage, I just fly away for a few seconds for my insane +regen to refill the green bar, and then fly back in for more destruction.

Now I want to try just that, but with a Rad/Regen.   /Regen was my first CoH character ever and the itch to make a new one is real.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Sentinel's regen is full of different goodies!

• Like 1

Might as well add in mine:  Probably not much of a secret but my NRG/NRG/Elec Sent is my favorite character to play.  Eats alphas for breakfast no problem.  (Regularly do pulls on MSRs because it's just plain fun!)

Also does comparable damage to my War Mace/Shield scrapper.  (Gasp!  Sometimes even more.. depends on the situations, of course.)

Recently did some DPS test runs on Beta using the repeatable RWZ Rikti missions and uploaded the log files to https://www.carnifax.org/ CombatLog Parser.  Basically did 3-4 missions on both characters.  (All set at +4/x8)  Allowed myself to convert as many inspirations that dropped into rages that I could and ate them but did not use any special inspirations that wouldn't normally drop in regular missions.  Basically, just ran them like I normally would.

One set of runs comparing both: https://www.carnifax.org/?uuid=94e376be-9edf-4dcd-8123-a2e0215c9af8

Another set of just my sentinel:  https://www.carnifax.org/?uuid=b4700942-95b3-4629-8ace-c6ce33730347

Basically, quick recharging and firing Chain Fences and cast-time free Lighting Field mean -lots- of Interface Radial procs going off.  Also, my Sent has Fold Space.  Sooo, that makes a big difference too.  Certainly don't need to chase around as many mobs when you can Fold Space and then AOE immobilize the whole lot of them... 😃

• 4 months later
  • 3 weeks later

Still only have my first Sent at 50 but others are now in the works and I still play him a lot. Fire/bio with no epic pool. Tough as nails, great damage output, 3.5 min pylon average, soloed master rules max diff ITF (but it took a LOOOONG time to take down the AVs due to them bein all cowardly.) just a safe as can be tankmage.

Next up is an AR/Nrg methinks.

• Thumbs Up 1