What's considered a lot of wealth in the game?

Alphabet Soup II
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

About 20-30 million in common IOs across another 10 alts. This is getting a lot less expensive since my main toon crafts all the 25s and 30s IO for reduce prices... it is a SUCKY PAIN IN THE @$% to mail them all to myself, but whatever.

Look - I don't intend to come off as harsh - but why wouldn't you simply stash the IOs in your very own sg base for your alts to come in and access them when needed.

I do understand that some folks just don't bother with an sg base..but it's such a time saver over the long run. Or maybe you belong in one sg and your alt doesn't. Suggest you form your own, and make a coalition with your current one. This way, you have a big hassle removed from your game time. Just my .02 inf.

About 20-30 million in common IOs across another 10 alts. This is getting a lot less expensive since my main toon crafts all the 25s and 30s IO for reduce prices... it is a SUCKY PAIN IN THE @$% to mail them all to myself, but whatever.

Look - I don't intend to come off as harsh - but why wouldn't you simply stash the IOs in your very own sg base for your alts to come in and access them when needed.

I do understand that some folks just don't bother with an sg base..but it's such a time saver over the long run. Or maybe you belong in one sg and your alt doesn't. Suggest you form your own, and make a coalition with your current one. This way, you have a big hassle removed from your game time. Just my .02 inf.

Here's the thing, I completely get this! I assume a lot of people manage it this way. In fact, I assume that's how they deal with even the fiddling around with salvage which they probably bought in bulk for crafting stations in the base. The problem is, I'm actually shopping around for good SGs. I have several alts in different ones. I also have my characters on two different servers (my wife and kids play on Excelsior though they don't play much, and a bunch of people I've connected with online including some people I knew from live a long time ago are on Everlasting).  But this is very much on my mind.

So my plan is to set a main on Excelsior up with all the goodies, form an SG there and build a base (this is something I want to learn anyway, never did it live). Then add all the lowbies and such to it and make it easy to mess around there with crafting, etc. Then I'm thinking I'll do the same on Everlasting though as soon as my toons get setup with IOs and such, I'll think about shopping them around to SGs... at least I need to keep doing this until I find an SG home on Everlasting.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

OK. So I changed my approach and took a new look at how the market functions, especially with respect to converters. And I accepted the need to gamble, hard. If you are willing to set fire to INF, it will turn into something eventually.

I think one of my chief problems in the past was not having enough money to spend to make the money, at least this way. As soon as I was willing to spend a lot of money (say around 25 million which scared the crap out of me, but I did it)... and focus in on exactly what I thought I could accomplish, I was able to almost double that over the course of an hour or so. The second hour I got lucky with a couple of sales and did more than double my investment.

There are some limitations to what I'm doing. The supplies of the right recipes are a little lean and as soon as you grab up the few "at cost" (around what people are selling them for) you run quickly into people that want double or even triple the going rate for stuff and the profits drop like a stone. The other problem is, salvage. It just takes so friggin long to pull out what salvage I need in what numbers and fill up without overfilling my limited capacity. So what I'm doing won't ever scale beyond turning 25-30 into 45-50 in an hour or so, just in terms of how much clicking and sorting and stuff I have to do.

20+ million an hour is no joke. This is better than I've ever seen before. (usually I'm turning 5-6 million into 8-9 million) but that's still 50 hours of markettering to get to 1B INF... that's a lot of time doing some mind numbing sorting of salvage.  But it still isn't the 100 million folks talk about casually making in an hour of markettering each day.

So I'm a step closer, but the big time is still out of my league. I'm OK with that for now. The money I made is a welcomed relief. It certainly makes Farming (AE or otherwise) rather pointless, which is great because I sucked even worse at that!

It takes more initial investment, but I like to put low bids are 30-40 recipes at a time, then 400+ converters at once. When the bids eventually fill, which make take a day or so, I'll craft and convert them all at once. It helps me from stressing too much if one particular enhancement uses a lot of converters, the average amount of converters per enhancement eventually evens out. Then I price them to sell fast. The most effective method for me is moving volume and not profit margin per transaction.

It takes more initial investment, but I like to put low bids are 30-40 recipes at a time, then 400+ converters at once. When the bids eventually fill, which make take a day or so, I'll craft and convert them all at once. It helps me from stressing too much if one particular enhancement uses a lot of converters, the average amount of converters per enhancement eventually evens out. Then I price them to sell fast. The most effective method for me is moving volume and not profit margin per transaction.

"We lose a little on each sell, but we make it up in volume".  j/k

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

The downside to this is I had a few hundred bids fill between Wednesday night and Thursday(this is three times more than normal) before I got home from work, so I spent an hour or so crafting, buying, and converting all of them at one time. But when I get home today, I should have 300-400 million profit waiting for me. As much as I love that big number, I don't like spending that much time marketing in one go. So I'll be slowing down a bit.

edit: I'm also curious to see if me raising the supply of one enhancement by 35% will have any sort of impact or not. I'm thinking it'll just slow down a few other people from selling for a day or two, and therefore essentially be meaningless. Or if someone will jump in and undercut me and prices fall for a few days. Weekend coming up may prevent that though, as demand seems to spike then.

• Like 1

edit: I'm also curious to see if me raising the supply of one enhancement by 35% will have any sort of impact or not. I'm thinking it'll just slow down a few other people from selling for a day or two, and therefore essentially be meaningless. Or if someone will jump in and undercut me and prices fall for a few days. Weekend coming up may prevent that though, as demand seems to spike then.

I think the strange thing about any increase in interest in the player base for making real money in the AH is really just raising more folks into the range where they can afford the good stuff. Converters aren't ever going away due to merit farming and with all the AE tickets flowing the rare salvage being cheap means a lot of folks will probably craft those themselves keeping prices up.

I see the medium term (weeks to months) price as pretty stable. We could have a rough time on a weekend if a few billionaires wanted to drop their bankrolls on friends and sundry, but I wonder if that would have a bigger effect on grapesets and Winter IOs more than on the upper end of the Rare market. Once that INF is back in the market it is going to wash all over the place though, which incentivizes more extractors.

As long as there are plenty of Converters flowing from the Merit vendors (and the profit for dumping them on the market is fast-reliable money that's immediately spent on the market) the whole playerbase benefits from the ability (as a group) to move relatively unwanted IOs into more desirable sets. COMMODIFICATION => LIQUIDITY! Now that I've got the hang of making a little bit of cash, I'd certainly hate to see the spigot turn off entirely, but I suspect that no matter what the monetary rewards a good portion of the player base will be happy to pay us to make AH work well for them. It isn't a bad trade for them after all.

It would be nice to get causal folks out of Single Origins and into the market though. They really are missing out, even with Common IOs and lesser sets. Heck, even "collecting" the sets is fun IMNHO.

• Like 1

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

I belong to a supergroup shared with other people, so I can't necessarily rely on anything I leave in storage staying there for the long term. But I've got a thousand character slots, so I just made a mule character.

(The supergroup is a cat-person group, so I just named him "Cat Mule," made him a Huge body type SS Invulnerability tanker with all body sliders at maximum. If he's gonna carry a bunch of stuff, he's gotta be big and strong! Like a mule! :) )

Then I just alt-invited him, and put the stuff in storage long enough to have him go in and take it out again.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

So I decided as an experiment I'd record my conversions for a tray. I paid 100k each for converters and 22,222 each for 10 recipes @ level 31. bought salvage at 1111 and 2222 for common/rare. crafting costs were 48.2k. Looking at ~75k but we'll call it a hundred for simplicity's sake. I then converted them to rare so I'm at 300k per before converting by rarity:

1 ) -> zinger, Ghost widow, Force fb, nictus trip (almost stopped here), analyze weakness, lady grey, stupefy, impervium armor res. started converting by type -> titanium, impervium trip, unbreakable e/r, titanium, UNBREAKABLE GUARD R/E. Last couple sales were under 3 million but it was Friday evening so i listed at 3,010,000. Cost 2 million, sold 4 million. profit ~1.75 million.

2 ) -> Widow, LG, annihilation a/d, timespace, ToDeath, celerity, Gift of ancients. now by type -> reactive trip, LOTG D/R listed at 3.56 million. Cost 1.4 million. sold 5 million. profit ~3.25 million

3 ) -> KINCOM DE listed at 3.01 mill. cost 400k. sold 4 mill. profit ~3.25 million (normally I'd expect this to sell between 2 and 2.5 mill but there were only 3 for sale when i listed).

4 ) -> stupefy, Dark watcher proc, turtle, AEGIS R/E listed at 3.1 mill. Cost 700k, sold 3.5 million profit ~2.6 million

5 ) -> widow, LOTG End/Rech listed 3.01 mill. cost 500k. sold 4 mill. profit ~3.25 mill.

6 ) -> Lockdown AH, nictus H, kincom proc. in set convert to KINCOM D/E/R listed 3.01 mill. cost 900k. sold 3.2 mill. profit ~2.1 mill

7 ) -> unbounded, devastation, sudden acc., devastation, sovereign, glimpse, entropic, annihil, unbreakable guard r/r. by type to reactive, titanium, reactive, titanium, impervium, AEGIS RES. listed for 3.5 million. cost 2.4 million. sold 3.8 mill. profit ~1.2 million

8 ) -> ToDeath proc, malaise, LotG D/R. since it was an early drop and i had one of these up already i rolled in set to E/R then LOTG D/E which i listed for 4.01 million. cost 1.2 million. Sold 4.5. Profit ~3 million

9 ) -> LG, glimpse, AEGIS R/R listed 3.01 mill. cost 600k. sold 3.5 mill. profit ~2.7 mill.

10 ) -> Gauss to hit, lockdown a/r, malaise, unbounded, BOTZ KB listed for 1.55 mill. cost 800k. sold 2 mill. profit ~1.08 million.

Total profits ~24 million. Seems about right for one tray given that i've been doing 3-7 a day and throwing 100-250 million off to alts per day.

I think the strange thing about any increase in interest in the player base for making real money in the AH is really just raising more folks into the range where they can afford the good stuff. Converters aren't ever going away due to merit farming and with all the AE tickets flowing the rare salvage being cheap means a lot of folks will probably craft those themselves keeping prices up.

It would be nice to get causal folks out of Single Origins and into the market though. They really are missing out, even with Common IOs and lesser sets. Heck, even "collecting" the sets is fun IMNHO.

This is kind of my long-term goal.  I can't make people play their alts to 50 rather than PLing them, but I can help make it easy for them to (as you stated) deck themselves out with sets of Entropic Chaos at lvl 17.  Basilisk's Gaze is extremely useful, and in my opinion way underpriced, but lots of people seem to skip right past that on their way to incarnates.  I doubt I'm losing money on any of the stuff I'm supplying, but I'm definitely not maximizing my margins by putting a lot of sub-50 material into the AH.

Who run Bartertown?

On 7/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Well, since the in-game cap is 2 billion influence (unless you cheat by posting bids for non-existent items on the marketplace or e-mailing yourself influence), I'd say... 2 billion? Honestly, after your first 200 million, anything more doesn't do much for you, I've found personally.

My build cost over 500m, so ... I'd say you're wrong on that one. 

Secondly, it should be noted that inf loses it's purpose after your build is finalised, unless you have other builds in mind. So I'd say 500m-750m is all you need really.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:01 AM, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

So I decided as an experiment I'd record my conversions for a tray. I paid 100k each for converters and 22,222 each for 10 recipes @ level 31. bought salvage at 1111 and 2222 for common/rare. crafting costs were 48.2k. Looking at ~75k but we'll call it a hundred for simplicity's sake. I then converted them to rare so I'm at 300k per before converting by rarity:

1 ) -> zinger, Ghost widow, Force fb, nictus trip (almost stopped here), analyze weakness, lady grey, stupefy, impervium armor res. started converting by type -> titanium, impervium trip, unbreakable e/r, titanium, UNBREAKABLE GUARD R/E. Last couple sales were under 3 million but it was Friday evening so i listed at 3,010,000. Cost 2 million, sold 4 million. profit ~1.75 million.

2 ) -> Widow, LG, annihilation a/d, timespace, ToDeath, celerity, Gift of ancients. now by type -> reactive trip, LOTG D/R listed at 3.56 million. Cost 1.4 million. sold 5 million. profit ~3.25 million

3 ) -> KINCOM DE listed at 3.01 mill. cost 400k. sold 4 mill. profit ~3.25 million (normally I'd expect this to sell between 2 and 2.5 mill but there were only 3 for sale when i listed).

4 ) -> stupefy, Dark watcher proc, turtle, AEGIS R/E listed at 3.1 mill. Cost 700k, sold 3.5 million profit ~2.6 million

5 ) -> widow, LOTG End/Rech listed 3.01 mill. cost 500k. sold 4 mill. profit ~3.25 mill.

6 ) -> Lockdown AH, nictus H, kincom proc. in set convert to KINCOM D/E/R listed 3.01 mill. cost 900k. sold 3.2 mill. profit ~2.1 mill

7 ) -> unbounded, devastation, sudden acc., devastation, sovereign, glimpse, entropic, annihil, unbreakable guard r/r. by type to reactive, titanium, reactive, titanium, impervium, AEGIS RES. listed for 3.5 million. cost 2.4 million. sold 3.8 mill. profit ~1.2 million

8 ) -> ToDeath proc, malaise, LotG D/R. since it was an early drop and i had one of these up already i rolled in set to E/R then LOTG D/E which i listed for 4.01 million. cost 1.2 million. Sold 4.5. Profit ~3 million

9 ) -> LG, glimpse, AEGIS R/R listed 3.01 mill. cost 600k. sold 3.5 mill. profit ~2.7 mill.

10 ) -> Gauss to hit, lockdown a/r, malaise, unbounded, BOTZ KB listed for 1.55 mill. cost 800k. sold 2 mill. profit ~1.08 million.

Total profits ~24 million. Seems about right for one tray given that i've been doing 3-7 a day and throwing 100-250 million off to alts per day.

Once you’ve gathered up the recipes, how much time did all of that take?

Edited by Myrmidon

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

2 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Once you’ve gathered up the recipes, much time did all of that take?

That took almost half an hour because i was typing it all in a .txt as i went. normally it'd take prolly 3-4 minutes a tray.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

That took almost half an hour because i was typing it all in a .txt as i went. normally it'd take prolly 3-4 minutes a tray.

That’s an excellent time/Influence ratio.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

• 3 weeks later

Just to answer the original topic of "How much wealth is considered wealthy" in this server.  

Not mentioning any philosophies (e.g. "wealthy" is relative to the next guy) and how you earn your money in /AE or /AH I would say 20+ billion would be wealthy.

I played since July 20 - today is Aug 13.  I farmed the /AH since approx July 30 and used only 1.5 billion to IO out 2 brutes.  All other inf has been exclusively used for reinvestment into /AH farming. Currently have 5-6 billion floating in the market, 2 billion in email (in case of market crash or /GM decides to stop all AH farmers) and earn about 800-900 million profit each night /AH via 45 minutes of converting on 2-3 very niche markets.  The more influence I have, the more I float into the AH to increase the # of recipes/converters/salvage I can earn overnight.  Total I have earned about 9.5 billion (10% AH fees is extortion...) over approx 3 weeks of intense /AH farming with the majority of profits coming in the last 1.5 weeks.  The more inf I have, the more I earn.

Personally, I've lost interest in the actual game aspect after optimizing my 2 brutes (IOs, incarnates, 4 accolade passives) and play the game solely to rule the AH so this may be a contributing factor.  I am happy the GMs do not counter /AH farming because I believe that us entrepre-auction-housers supply the much needed IOs to the players that need it. 

Edit: The American dream is alive and well in this game!

Edited by tinygodzilla
American Dream
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am poor as a church mouse, it seems.  The richest single character I have has around 60 million inf on her.  Most of my other 50s have comparable amounts, from around 20 to 50 million.  If I put it all together it would probably be close to 200-300 million.

I buy very little with inf.  I buy recipes and ATOs with merits.  I believe that paying for those things with inf, over time, creates a difficult environment for new players.  Nobody ever got billions of inf fighting mobs. 

My farming is different, being entirely task force oriented, so I have more than adequate merits to buy recipes for builds.  My builds are improvisational in any case, often focused around lucky drops.  I have lowbie task force farmer characters built to run stuff like Synapse and Citadel for the merits, which I use when a character doesn't have enough for what she needs by herself.  All of my mezz protected characters farm tips for merits as well. 

The only difference for me between Homecoming and i23 is that I don't run Architect like I used to.  Used to be that I bought all needed salvage with AE tickets.  I now do buy some salvage for crafting with inf.  I only do this because salvage prices have been given a ceiling here, and AE is not what it used to be. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

41 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I am poor as a church mouse, it seems.  The richest single character I have has around 60 million inf on her.  Most of my other 50s have comparable amounts, from around 20 to 50 million.  If I put it all together it would probably be close to 200-300 million.

I buy very little with inf.  I buy recipes and ATOs with merits.  I believe that paying for those things with inf, over time, creates a difficult environment for new players.  Nobody ever got billions of inf fighting mobs. 

My farming is different, being entirely task force oriented, so I have more than adequate merits to buy recipes for builds.  My builds are improvisational in any case, often focused around lucky drops.  I have lowbie task force farmer characters built to run stuff like Synapse and Citadel for the merits, which I use when a character doesn't have enough for what she needs by herself.  All of my mezz protected characters farm tips for merits as well. 

The only difference for me between Homecoming and i23 is that I don't run Architect like I used to.  Used to be that I bought all needed salvage with AE tickets.  I now do buy some salvage for crafting with inf.  I only do this because salvage prices have been given a ceiling here, and AE is not what it used to be. 

Gotta play the converting game.  Saves a TON of time farming via TFs and very comparable or better than farming /AE. 

Converting game is just using converters to convert low level recipes to rare recipes, or converting ATOs to other ATOs (brute, or scrapper) that sell quickly. 

You can do it my dude. 

3 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I believe that paying for those things with inf, over time, creates a difficult environment for new players.  Nobody ever got billions of inf fighting mobs. 

That depends, really. With converters, I don't think it's necessarily the case as they stabilize the price difference between highly sought after items and "garbage", so even without lucky drops a new player can make a decent bankroll just by selling uncommon IOs - provided that someone is buying them.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.