Soloing Controller input requested

biostem

So I mainly solo, and have been trying out many different ATs and builds.  I've never really played controllers extensively, but wanted to try one out.  I was thinking of something like Ill/Poi or Ill/FF, since both seem to have some good survivability tools.  For /FF, I was considering taking the fighting pool as well, but wasn't sure.  Any input from you more experienced folks would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

You don't need as much defensive ability from your secondary since your primary is a defensive set. For soloing, you will want the following:

Damage, both single-target and AoE

Endurance management

-Res

-Regen, if you care to solo AVs.

Defense/healing as a minor option.

Some good choices are:

-Fire/Dark (anything /Dark has enough defense, and it covers up Fire's lack of defense, while Fire is best overall in damage). Also Fire/Rad and Fire/Time (Time doesn't have much -Regen, so it's good overall but not so great against AVs).

-Dark/Cold, Dark/Storm. Dark primary is very strong for soloing due to good damage and strong defenses, allowing you to use a more offensive secondary.

-Mind/Traps. Strange combo thematically, but sleeping/confusing mobs and toe-bombing with Trip Mine does good AoE damage, and Mind is strong for single-target damage. Similarly, Grav/Traps (instead of sleeping and toe-bombing, you set the Mine and Wormhole spawns into it).

-Electric/Storm. Excellent AoE damage if you proc up Jolting Chain, and the Endurance recovery from Electric helps with Storm's heavy End drain. Single-target damage is ironically handled by Tornado and Lightning Storm while AoE is more from the Jolting Chain and Gremlins.

-Plant/Kin. Plant is great for AoE damage, not so great for single-target. Its early Confuse helps it solo defensive, while the +Damage and +Recharge from Kin help with offense. Single-target is weak within the set, but Kinetics can boost Arcane Bolt or the attacks from the Fighting Pool to be useful.

Ill/Rad, Ill/Time, Ill/Storm. Illusion is an excellent soloing set, and all of those work with it.

I agree with 5099y_74c05 above about best primaries.  Of those, Plant/ is probably the best pick for a first-timer.  Lots of control, and you get a good feel for the cadence of playing a Controller (Seeds of Confusion is such a nice power at level 8!).

I've played Plant/ with /TA, /Rad, /Sonic, and /Poison.  Of those, /Rad and /TA are pretty strong.  For me, I like coming up with more "theme" characters, which is 100% of the reason I'm working on /Poison right now (so far, the /Poison part isn't doing all that much for me).

P.S.- I had an Ill/FF on Live many years ago.  Its do-able, but it was SLOW!

I always think that Poison is an offensive secondary for Controllers (especially with IO'd Poison Gas Trap), but it really needs a primary that can shut down spawns on its own, because Poison doesn't help it do that. So, I think it's fine for soloing, but only when paired with specific sets that are strong enough defensively to carry the load:

Dark, Electric, Plant, Earth. Maybe Mind or Illusion, if you want to use a lot of Sleep/Confuse.

I wouldn't run it with Ice, Gravity, or Fire.

I think it is more important to find a power set you like and enjoy playing.

Pre-32 Controllers are slow-ish  to slow.

You'll get though it if your enjoying yourself.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **