Loitering Plea... how to contribute to easing traffic.

All well and good to avoid Atlas Park but people exiting the tutorial don't have that option. For newbies, their first missions come from contacts there in (or under) Atlas Plaza.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

All well and good to avoid Atlas Park but people exiting the tutorial don't have that option. For newbies, their first missions come from contacts there in (or under) Atlas Plaza.

As I stated - 'as soon as I can' and 'unless a mission requires it'.

I simply look for ways in life to make my life better from my PoV that _do not_ invlove asking other people to change.

Really is just that simple for me.

I look at a system/virtual world/game and determine what I need to do to get what I want from it in it's current state, rather than trying to change it into something else to fit my delusion.

Personally, I turn off my 'noise' most of the time for a number of reasons, one of which is I don't always enjoy the 'noise' of others.

If someone doesn't like the lag in Atlas, avoid Atlas. That's significantly more effective than trying to get hundreds or thousands of people to change their behavior. I get the desire to vent, but it will never solve the core issue.

This, go visit Back Alley Brawler, he's pretty lonely over there.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

If someone doesn't like the lag in Atlas, avoid Atlas. That's significantly more effective than trying to get hundreds or thousands of people to change their behavior. I get the desire to vent, but it will never solve the core issue.

I agree we will never get people to turn off their effects and pets.  I know the behavior isn't intentional.  I think the thread has morphed into suggestion some systemic solutions.

As for avoiding Atlas, it’s hard to do depending how you play.  If you like badges, then there are a lot of stops to make.  Want the city hall day job?  Only one place for it.  Want to actually start the game?  You've only got three choice, Praetoria, Rogue Isles, or Paragon (Atlas Park).  Want to run low level missions?  Atlas Park until you are at least level 5, and then you can go to the Hollows.  Want to leave the Hollows before level 10?  Tailor change before level 5?  P2W vendor?

I'm not trying to make fun MunkiLord, as I know you know these things.  But there is a pretty long list of “must haves” from Atlas Park, and especially Atlas Plaza that can keep you in the zone until level 10

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I'm not trying to make fun MunkiLord, as I know you know these things.  But there is a pretty long list of “must haves” from Atlas Park, and especially Atlas Plaza that can keep you in the zone until level 10

Enter Atlas.

Walk to P2W, get stuff.

Go to Sewers.

Look at LFG for DFB.

Run 2-4 times.

Leave Atlas.

'Must Haves' are dictated by ones own delusion.

If someone wants to talk themsleves into 'needing' something, then they have to come to terms with the fact they have to 'deal with' getting it, IMO.

Trying to get everyone else to conform...not the plan I try to execute or follow.

What you describe are just social/mental constraints players choose to place on themsleves, IMO.

Enter Atlas.

Walk to P2W, get stuff.

Go to Sewers.

Look at LFG for DFB.

Run 2-4 times.

Leave Atlas.

'Must Haves' are dictated by ones own delusion.

If someone wants to talk themsleves into 'needing' something, then they have to come to terms with the fact they have to 'deal with' getting it, IMO.

Trying to get everyone else to conform...not the plan I try to execute or follow.

What you describe are just social/mental constraints players choose to place on themsleves, IMO.

Like I said Jubakumbi, it depends on your playstyle.  That's why I put “must haves” in quotes.

And I started that same post saying people will never change the behavior...so I am not try to put constraints on anyone.

Now as far as ‘deal with getting it’.  I'm not sure what that means?  If i want to get the badges, I have to deal with rubberbanding, and lag?  What if it was happening repeatedly to people doing a Mission?  Do they just need to deal with rubberbanding and lag that let's the Boss and half the mobs dealing defeats/debts that could otherwise be avoided?  Of course not.  We would say that lag/rubberbanding, cause by the game, not the Internet connection is something  the Dev's ought to fix.  That's the same here...Atlas Park is the single worst zone for lag and rubberbanding.  It ought to be fixed.  If the easiest fix is to reduce pop caps, fine.  If it is power supression, fine.  If it's something else, fine.  But the answer shouln't be “deal with it”. It might be, you will have to live with it for a while.

I know the Dev's are volunteers, and I am not demanding anything...An “ought to” is saying what I believe to be the right course of action, just like I think people “ought to” say please and thank you.  I don't demand they do, but it is the appropriate thing to do inpolite company.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I agree we will never get people to turn off their effects and pets.  I know the behavior isn't intentional.  I think the thread has morphed into suggestion some systemic solutions.

As for avoiding Atlas, it’s hard to do depending how you play.  If you like badges, then there are a lot of stops to make.  Want the city hall day job?  Only one place for it.  Want to actually start the game?  You've only got three choice, Praetoria, Rogue Isles, or Paragon (Atlas Park).  Want to run low level missions?  Atlas Park until you are at least level 5, and then you can go to the Hollows.  Want to leave the Hollows before level 10?  Tailor change before level 5?  P2W vendor?

I agree it's not an ideal solution by any means, it's just the most effective solution at the moment. I'm personally a fan of Ms Liberty kicking people because that would amuse me.

I agree it's not an ideal solution by any means, it's just the most effective solution at the moment. I'm personally a fan of Ms Liberty kicking people because that would amuse me.

Well I think that is the consensus for many of us.  Or as was said, “just deal with it”.

I think this thread has turned more into a QoL suggestion for the Dev's than anything else at this point.

It's easy to avoid the lag other players generate if you just stay away from the other players. :)

Which is sometimes not possible.  As others have said, you get dumped at the foot of the stairs leading to Miss Liberty, every time you make a new Hero character.  Back in teh day, you chose between AP and Galaxy City, but now, there's only one road to Blueville and it goes right through the heart of Atlas Park.

Also, not everyone is as asocial as you seem to be proclaiming yourself to be.  A lot of people have seriously fond memories of CCs and even just hanging out under the statue of Atlas.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Which is sometimes not possible.  As others have said, you get dumped at the foot of the stairs leading to Miss Liberty, every time you make a new Hero character.  Back in teh day, you chose between AP and Galaxy City, but now, there's only one road to Blueville and it goes right through the heart of Atlas Park.

Also, not everyone is as asocial as you seem to be proclaiming yourself to be.  A lot of people have seriously fond memories of CCs and even just hanging out under the statue of Atlas.

Sure, all true.

Just as it is true those same people have the choice to avoid Atlas.

Just as it is true I can turn off my noise if I choose to do so.

Just as it is true some people _like_ all the noise.

Just as it is true some people love the 3-way handshake of politeness in all things.

In my opinion, trying to get the players of the game to turn off the noise by starting a movement on the forums is simply not going to change human behaviour.

Nothing more.

I have no idea why anyone would try and create any larger agenda over it.

Some people don't like the visual noise and lag a busy area in the game brings.

Plain old advice - avoid that area - is what I have to offer, it works well for me, even if I am implementing that advice for a differnt reason.

If someone is trying to say I am pushing this as some sort of definitive solution, they would be wrong.

If someone is implying I think this is the only way to adress this, they would be wrong.

If someone is attempting to convince others I don't 'get it' they would be wrong.

This is not rocket surgery.

"It hurts my eyes and lags my PC when I do 'this', Doctor." - "Then don't do that."

The entire idea of trying to encourage/cojole/shame/order other players to alter thier behaviour is not something I ever see as a solution, I see it as 'tilting windmills'.

Back in the day, I would turn my back on the group standing on the hill in Talos during the Invasions to avoid the display lag.

I prefer people take it on themsleves to find a solution to thier issues and alter thier own course, rather than trying to get 'everyone else' to change, for issues of this nature.

2 - If you are level 6 or higher, spend an extra minute to go to train with Back Alley Brawler instead of Ms. Liberty. This is perfect for all of those DFB runners who get Travel Powers before they resurface.

How about just going to either BAB or the Icon tailor (just W of the hospital) to make extended costume changes? Yes, you get six costume slots right off the bat, but you don't have to set them all up right away. Your costume and power customization is free before level 10; you should be able to make it to either one of those to set up your other costume slots, rather than bunching up around Ms. Liberty.

When the number is reached Ms. Liberty aggros and attacks all players in range.  One they've been crane kicked halfway to Prometheus Park a few times they'll learn to keep their distance.

Not sure that'd work very well. At this point in the story she's been my sidekick as least once, and was pretty useless while I was beating up AVs way tougher than her :)

2 - If you are level 6 or higher, spend an extra minute to go to train with Back Alley Brawler instead of Ms. Liberty. This is perfect for all of those DFB runners who get Travel Powers before they resurface.

How about just going to either BAB or the Icon tailor (just W of the hospital) to make extended costume changes? Yes, you get six costume slots right off the bat, but you don't have to set them all up right away. Your costume and power customization is free before level 10; you should be able to make it to either one of those to set up your other costume slots, rather than bunching up around Ms. Liberty.

But while you and I might (and in my case have) made that decision...we aren't going to sway people to do so, and certainly not with a forum post...People just love to crowd around Ms. Liberty...She is the A-list of A-listers.  People gather for CC, forming DFB, level up.  They will stay in front of here for a very long time looking things up afk.  I think it's really come done to a systemic solution or just live with it...

justice, I think you hit it spot on. I also think folks like 'show off' their powers to others, too. The best solution of all would be to move the group meeting spot from Ms. Liberty to the area on the plaza directly under Atlas' statue...that's pretty much the way it was on live. There's way more room for movement, powers, dancing etc. This leaved Ms. Liberty's area free for it's intended purpose. Win/win.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I altered the Demon Lt roar, it now giggles like a 6 month old infant and is much quieter.

That's hilarious to consider.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

My own recollection of back-in-the-day was that the crowd was not around Ms. Liberty - it was consistently gathered under the statue itself away from her.  She has a lot more to do now; more reasons for people to interact with her.  The crowds of pets and obnoxious toggles around her were more transitory in the old days. Most of those leveling there were low levels, not higher levels and had fewer and easier choices of powers and enhancement slots.  People would level quickly - and then go away, even if they didn't go any further than to stand under atlas with everyone else rather than IN FRONT of atlas next to her.  The noise and light and crowds were sometimes obnoxious UNDER atlas, but then you could actually just get down off that platform and largely get away from it.  You stepped UNDER Atlas for the specific purpose of being there to hang out.

Now, you go to Ms. Liberty and have a laundry list of things you can interact with her about - including two of the most time-consuming tasks in the game.  You sometimes can't even see her to click on her.  Just now I popped in for several minutes (4pm, pacific time, excelsior) just to check.  There were consistently 10+ people within 15' of her and the server population wasn't even red yet.  One leaves, another comes running in.  Some people are there for a long time.  I have noted this because I have a habit of hanging out under Atlas to chat, observe, look at peoples costumes and read a few backstories.  They are a wide range of levels, not just low levels.  They can be from 1 to 50 and often are.  But look at what choices you're offered in clicking on her these days.

Level up, obviously.  If you haven't got your choices planned out you could be there a good while just looking things over, possibly even alt-tabbing out of the game to look stuff up.  But she's also a TAILOR.  You can spend hours messing with a costume - while on hover right next to her.  For newbies she's an information kiosk, the in-game wiki-highlight reel about the game - builds, sidekicking/exemplaring, task forces, new costumes, earning titles, selecting titles, respeccing, inventions, and consignments.  She has been made a central focus and she doesn't need to be.

Now I doubt anyone is spending time reading the game data she provides.  Still, at most she should simply politely refer questions to... someone else. Anyone else, just to move them along so the next customer can step in.  Say, some desk jockey inside City Hall or a field rep that stands on the opposite side of Atlas' platform from the P2W vendor.  But most certainly she should not be a tailor - which she is.  At most she ought to be redirecting people ACROSS THE STREET TO THE ICON SHOP.

The simplest and possibly most effective thing that could be done to begin to address the issue with the crowd at this ONE location is to have only one reason to be around her - to level up.  There are NPC's with all the other tasks and information she provides nearby (or could be, without any heavy lifting of code).  These tasks are, I believe, available at ALL level trainers.  Back when there were 15 servers it didn't seem to matter.  Now there's one server (there can be only one!) and I'm thinking that it could make all the difference.  At worst it's an EASY experiment to try and then change back if necessary.

If it cuts down that crowd then it is just a matter of asking those with pets and toggles to shut them down in consideration of others as needed.  That would be the more traditional and friendly COH way in any case I'm a-thinkin'.  I think the best way to deal with it is grass-roots.  Send POLITE tells asking to turn things off in consideration of others.  Remind people periodically in broadcast and local chat if you see it happening.  COH always used to be the UNQUESTIONABLY most friendly, polite and respectful community in-game and out, and this topic shouldn't be anything that self-policing can't work wonders on regardless.

I hear what you are saying MrNotorion.  But when people are having a knock down drag out fight in the Help Channel about who is the best X-man (Iceman obviously), and if you try to suggest they redirect, they start to scream (all caps) about the Help Police and Chat Police and tell you where to stick your redirect, i’m disinclined to think self policing will work.  I have taken to just ignoring the Help channel now.  But seriously, if you try it for a week, and share with us your learnings, then I will try it as well.