I don't get why this is so much better than CO

Regarding sharing between servers, most of the other servers work on i24 code and HC works on i25 code plus they have stabilized it for 64-bit.  Much of the current work being done is simply not compatible between HC and other servers.

I wish I had the tools and means to make my own server, if only just for myself, so that if these (all the current private servers) do go away at least I could still play.  Solo is better than none!

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Regarding sharing between servers, most of the other servers work on i24 code and HC works on i25 code plus they have stabilized it for 64-bit.  Much of the current work being done is simply not compatible between HC and other servers.

I wish I had the tools and means to make my own server, if only just for myself, so that if these (all the current private servers) do go away at least I could still play.  Solo is better than none!

Its all out there with guides too

• 2 weeks later

I am on the fence here about the whole CoX vs CO. I actually like both games but I exclusively play here on Homecoming and I haven't touched CO in like a year or more. The reason for this is because recently, CO changed their model from being able to throw $15 to enjoy a month of "gold" status (which includes freeforms in every slot among other things), to a different system now. Now it is only those with lifetime subs who can play the game at all. Either that or you can purchase Freeform slots (I think they are like $20 each slot). That is too outrageous for me and I will never reward such shitty cash grab behavior like that. That being said, I will address what I liked about CO.

The Costume Creator was better. A lot of people seem to think otherwise, but plain and simple, it was better. They had the ability to edit two different shoulders, gloves and boots... even two different eyes. They had this at launch. The whole "glow" and LED style light pieces that looked amazing when in low-lit areas in the game. The materials used in the game were more polished, like the entire luchador costume pieces that had styles to them (like an oiled up body that can mimic sweat, or glittered materials). Face movement when you talk or you can even set "moods" to make your character appear happy or pissed off (some people think it looks bad or comment on the animations being crap, but in the end, the faces and mouths moved and CoH doesn't). The body sliders are way more advanced in CO, you can make super cartoony upper body with the world's tiniest legs (literally something that looked like Johnny Bravo), or make your character so skinny it resembles a stick figure. Stuff like that is impossible in CoH. There is more but I am sure I am forgetting.

Another thing I see not mentioned here is the (almost) completely intractable environment. You can pick up cars and throw them at enemies. or just target them and cause them to explode which sends bad guys flying away. There is even a power that allows telepaths to use telekenesis to launch objects found around the world (kind of like the "propel" skill here on CoH, but using the actual world instead of opening a portal and pulling some random item out of no where). Now that being said, it is also worth nothing that using the environment (like throwing a car at an enemy) did pitiful damage, but it helped make the world feel more immersive. Someone who didn't have super strength (their strength stat was low) wasn't able to pick up a car, while the Super Strength character can lift up that 18-wheeler Mack Truck like it was an empty soda can. Stuff like that was just cool to look at.

The whole Nemesis system was a cool thing. You had a Superman kind of character, you can create a Lex Luthor or Bizarro. There were Alerts and even the equivalent of Task Forces that you would fight everyone's Nemesis and it was just so cool seeing other people's creations and what powers they have and how they look, etc.

There is more but I am tired of typing now as I am sure many of you are tired of reading this, HA!

This post was just here to bring out some of the good aspects of CO. I know many people hate that game, but it had some really nice things going for it.

• Like 1