Salvage Storage

Just curious what the most elaborate salvage storage you've seen in a SG base is.  One of my fellow SG members and I academic cataloging librarians, and we've come up with the idea for a salvage storage that works much like library shelving. We are thinking about 45-50 racks, separated by rarity and in separate rooms like library holdings.  I think the only issue is having signage to indicate collections, but I'm hoping we can come up with something if there isn't signage. Has anyone done something like this before?

We will be working on it this weekend, and I'll be happy to post pictures of it when we're done.

I have 10 racks for my son's and I personal SG Base.  Haven't done signage, because he hates to craft, so just gives me all his salvage.  I have 2 racks dedicated to converters, one for booster, catalyst, and unslotters.  I have 2 racks for common salvage (one for A to I and one for L to T, haven't seen salvage that start's with J,K, U-Z) , no more than 5 of each type in the racks, one for yellow (no more than 10 of each), and one for rare.  That's 7 racks with room with 3 to spare.  Not nearly on the same level as you.  I don't really feel a need to have too much common or uncommon salvage, since it's so cheap to buy it.

Now if they had recipe catalogs...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I have 10 racks for my son's and I personal SG Base.  Haven't done signage, because he hates to craft, so just gives me all his salvage.  I have 2 racks dedicated to converters, one for booster, catalyst, and unslotters.  I have 2 racks for common salvage (one for A to I and one for L to T, haven't seen salvage that start's with J,K, U-Z) , no more than 5 of each type in the racks, one for yellow (no more than 10 of each), and one for rare.  That's 7 racks with room with 3 to spare.  Not nearly on the same level as you.  I don't really feel a need to have too much common or uncommon salvage, since it's so cheap to buy it.

Now if they had recipe catalogs...

I like the idea of recipe catalogs, unfortunately they just aren't something people dump often since converters can make them into money. And the commons can be bought at crafting stations.

We are admittedly going a bit over the top here. But I like the idea of having enough stacks for storage, and creating it to look and function as a library would. After we finish shelving and classifying them, we're probably going to be putting in seating and tables, rows of crafting stations (reference computers), and lighting to get the look just right. I think we are using salvage as an easy excuse to make a library, but long term I'll have to see if we can add more "collections", maybe insp.

Is it even possible to have that many storage racks in a base? When I built mine a couple of weeks ago I think it stopped me at about 18 storage units (which included salvage and enhancement storage). It might have been fewer than that, I don't recall exactly. In the meantime I have pared way back because that was way more storage than I needed but I thought there was a hard limit on the number. Or maybe that was just a per-room limit.

I made some crude signage for mine using some kind of small wooden fence item with letters attached. I've since ditched that and just put the letters high up on the wall behind the racks, but I remember searching for a while for things that would make suitable signs and not finding a whole lot. I'm sure there is something in there for those that want to get really creative, though.

Good point!

I think there is a limit of 20K items in a base, and each piece of stored salvage counts toward it.  So if I fill the rack with 100 pieces of unique salvage at 5 pieces each.  That would be 500 pieces of salvage and 501 base items (including the rack).  However if the OP is going more for look and feel over actual storage it might work.  IDK if there is a hard limit on the # of racks itself.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I was completely unaware of that. I'm going not only for look, but full functionality too. We were looking at 50 of a particular salvage item at once, with 108 types of salvage (not including special ones) would put us at 5400 potentially. So I don't think it's still very doable, but I'll have to check on the limit of containers if there is one.

Thanks for pointing this out!

You can only have 18 storage units, period. That counts all types including those for Enh and Insp.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

You can only have 18 storage units, period. That counts all types including those for Enh and Insp.

I came to post that I confirmed that very fact last night in my base.

Welp, thanks a bunch folks but I guess that ends that idea. I am not sure we could feasibly pull off what we want with 18 storage containers, minus the ones we are currently using for insp.

I appreciate he help here, much better than attempting this and finding the limit ourselves.