Zemya's Old COH fanart and picking up the pen again?

ZemyaSoldat

Back on live in 2011, I did a bunch of chibi-art for various people in the forums (under my old handle TemerousNox).

I basically haven't drawn much since then, but I found a nice deal on a graphics tablet, and I hope to start doing it again once it arrives.

I'll post the rest when I get home and upload them, but in the meantime - here is a chibi I did for Christopher Robin:

IcW9U1mA_o.jpg

ETA: And here is a low-rez version of all the chibis I did in one place. I've got the individual pictures for most of them, if anyone wants them again.

P1uoBUc5_o.png

Edited by ZemyaSoldat
  • Like 2

And here is the first bit of character art I've drawn in awhile - my Rad/Fire blaster Chernobyl Dawn in her revised costume.

IfEegnHl_o.png

I'll try inking it later, but since I almost always end up ruining the sketch when I do that, I wanted to scan the original drawing first.

• Like 2

Coolness! I remember all of these. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Welcome home Tem/Zemya, it makes me happy to see other

artists making their way back here to the game and our shiny new art forums.

Said it before in another thread but now that you have your own...

I was lucky enough to get two of these back in the day, Chloe Macomber

and Xllusya are both my heroes. I really enjoy how they came out and props for

making Sapphy look all innocent (hah!) while there are loose bird feathers falling in her vicinity.

Oh and  Square W00t (I remember that web comic!) and DD and Layla Rei (maker of teh plushiz)

are great too and Amerikatt makes me grin (anyone seen that little furball of wonder

around here?). Long story short these were great, thanks for including me!

On 7/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, ZemyaSoldat said:
....................I've got the individual pictures for most of them, if anyone wants them again.

**/em bigwave** Me Me Me!

I am sure everyone else will once they find their way

here so you may as well rescan all the originals you can find.

I'll try inking it later, but since I almost always end up ruining the sketch when I do that, I wanted to scan the original drawing first.

Scan early and often to avoid heartache. You could always try

digital inking once your new tablet arrives. Non destructive and you can

try as many times as you like and of course you have the mighty undo button.

Unless you are looking to do these all traditional start to finish?

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 2

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

Happy another successful rotation of Terra about Sol as it relates

to your annual day of uterine expulsion remembrance Tem/Zemya!  07K1tHnz_o.png

May it be filled with cake and presents!

• Like 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

Just now, Darth Delicious said:

The version I have is 332x500 px.. if the one you have is bigger than that.. then... Me Me Me too! haha.

If you've got the individual image still, then that's all I have. I lost all the original files in the great hard drive crash of 2012.

The one I have is 3250x850 so it's nearly twice the resolution of the one you have posted here.

The forums (this new v2.0) will let you post the higher rez and then scale it down for easy viewing

but you can still click it to get the larger size. You said you still have the drawings though, right?

Do you have a good scanner handy?

Also Chernobyl Dawn is looking good so far. */e awaits inks* bdD2kT31_o.gif

P.S. People say crash to mean a whole variety of things (corrupt sectors, drive wipe, load errors, can't be seen by windows, making

weird noises etc.) The big question is does the drive still spin up? If so much of the data can often be recovered. If not, well it still can be but

you have to send it off to a lab where they transfer the platters into a like unit in a clean room environment and that gets really pricey.

The point I'm making is your drive might only be "mostly" dead. There's a

big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is still slightly alive. 07K1tHnz_o.png

• Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

4 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

P.S. People say crash to mean a whole variety of things (corrupt sectors, drive wipe, load errors, can't be seen by windows, making

weird noises etc.) The big question is does the drive still spin up? If so much of the data can often be recovered. If not, well it still can be but

you have to send it off to a lab where they transfer the platters into a like unit in a clean room environment and that gets really pricey.

The point I'm making is your drive might only be "mostly" dead. There's a

big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is still slightly alive. 07K1tHnz_o.png

Honestly, it's been 7 years, so I can't remember specifically. I know I pulled it out of the housing (it was a WD MyBook) and tried to run it through a different sled, and tried a couple of recovery programs. I still have it tucked away in a box somewhere - I had literally just finished organizing it and didn't have a chance to do a backup before it died.

If you want to take a look at it and see if you can be Miracle Max, PM me and lemme know what your going rate is - all my writing and art for well over a decade was on there, and it was a serious blow to lose it. I think I cried for like 3 straight hours.

Edited by ZemyaSoldat

On 7/27/2019 at 9:25 AM, ZemyaSoldat said:

Honestly, it's been 7 years, so I can't remember specifically. I know I pulled it out of the housing (it was a WD MyBook) and tried to run it through a different sled, and tried a couple of recovery programs. I still have it tucked away in a box somewhere - I had literally just finished organizing it and didn't have a chance to do a backup before it died.

If you want to take a look at it and see if you can be Miracle Max, PM me and lemme know what your going rate is - all my writing and art for well over a decade was on there, and it was a serious blow to lose it. I think I cried for like 3 straight hours.

I am very sorry to hear how big of a loss that was. Yeah sure I can PM you the details, it's worth looking into at least.

I will say I have done about a dozen recoveries in various stages and I average about 80%

data recovery rate on the drives that still spun (and about 40% off the one that didn't).

I cannot make any promises that this will be the case with your drive though.

But since you are a repeat customer I'll give you my best discount and hopefully it shouldn't take

that long to examine the drive and at least see if there is still data available to be salvaged.

If yes I will tell you what it would cost and you can decide if it's worth it or not from there.

The fact that you already "tried a couple recovery programs" might work against me though.

Also I am kinda swamped at the moment so it might be a few weeks before I can get to it. That okay?

• Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

17 minutes ago, Christopher Robin said:

Also I am kinda swamped at the moment so it might be a few weeks before I can get to it. That okay?

I mean, it's been 7 years. I think a few weeks isn't going to make or break me.

Thanks for being willing to try. There's only a few small folders that I'd really like to see again. Yeah there's a lot of media files, but those are replaceable - it's just the art and writing that I'd love to see some of again. And if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen - I've already mourned the lost data, so the worst you can tell me is what I already assume to be true.

Edited by ZemyaSoldat

• 3 weeks later

That's cute Tem. You'll get the hang of it I'm sure.zb7XgP0P_o.png

You should ask DD, her gift seems to be taking on new styles she has never

done before and making it look like she's been drawing that way forever.

She probably mastered 2 new styles this morning before breakfast. 07K1tHnz_o.png

• Haha 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

All right then... here's a cleaned up version with flat colors, courtesy of Autodesk Sketchbook.

Not bad for a first attempt, I think 🙂 (other than the fact that I messed up a lot of details on her costume when originally drawing it, but for a proof of concept, it's not bad)

2XsshhIQ_o.png

Edited by ZemyaSoldat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

You should ask DD, her gift seems to be taking on new styles she has never

done before and making it look like she's been drawing that way forever.

Oh stoppit hahaha. I think she's managing perfectly on her own! Look at chibi Gwen! ❤️

17 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

She probably mastered 2 new styles this morning before breakfast. 07K1tHnz_o.png

3 actually 😛

• Like 1

DDLU21.jpg.d32d788cc9a9ad28e1d0bd53f83c1e5d.jpg

And, I already posted this in the Art Request thread, but I'm going to drop it here so that all my art is in the same place.

Gift for Darth Delicious

w4wsKW2H_o.png

ETA: And my attempt at coloring DD's phenomenal portrait of Chernobyl Dawn:

pa7z7AAY_o.png

Edited by ZemyaSoldat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let me say right off the bat that these colors are perfectly fine.

I would be happy to receive coloring work like this. zb7XgP0P_o.png

That said if you wanted to improve upon them I would suggest...

1. Consistency in the shading. 

If you draw a mental line down the center of her face you can see that the light from the right is "over the line" and onto the left side of her (camera) forehead and chin. Primary light source should then be on the right and slightly above from what you have done so far. So that means a little bit would have spilled across onto her left cheek. There should be an upside down triangle of light there against her nose starting a few millimeters under her lower eyelid. Also the clump of hair across her cheek has a shadow to the right, that should move to the left side of the strand to match the rest of her face. Finally the lower lip should have more highlights on the right side rather than both sides near the center of the lip.

2. The outer part of her (camera) left eyelid should be pink. It can be the same color as the caruncle of her other eye or slightly lighter pink but it shouldn't be white.

Bonus points: Not necessary but if you wanted an even more consistent look, DD put lines in her hair delineating clumps, since the light you chose is on the right you could put more white strands to the right side of each clump and more dark strands to the left of each. This would make her hair coloration read a bit better.

A final tip, and this falls more under the "before you start coloring someone else's line art" always bear in mind the eyes are the most reflective part of the face so check to see if they have a hotspot "white dot or line" as it will tell you where the line artist planned to have the primary light source.  DD has them in her irises below and to the left of the pupils (but the eyeballs are moved to the right of center) which would tell me there is a light source in front of her face, just slightly left of center and below her nose but not below her chin. This does conflict with the top right lighting you have chosen so it would be good to notice this up front.

Easiest fix at this point (if you wanted to at all) would be to stealthily move the dots to the upper right of the pupil and don't tell DD. Shhh! 07K1tHnz_o.png

A more advanced alternative way would be to have a primary and secondary light source and add some rim lighting from below and left but this would complicate things quite a bit.

Hope this isn't too much and that it helps going forward. Cheers!

• Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

I do adore chibi DD who forgot her mask! ^_^
This turned out to be an awesome art trade haha.

I have one more tip/trick to add to CR's feedback. One I use all the time.
I try to find an image that has the light source in the same-ish corner as the drawing has and use that as a reference for shading. 🙂

DDLU21.jpg.d32d788cc9a9ad28e1d0bd53f83c1e5d.jpg

• 1 month later
On 10/3/2019 at 8:07 AM, Christopher Robin said:

Noticed this on page 2...

You asked for it...

VkwJaYoL_o.gif  

**/e taps foot awaiting more Chibi's in Tem's new style.** HmWYqjbR_o.gif

Sadly, more hand drawn art is probably going to have to wait until after my fractured pointer finger on my dominant hand heals.

However, I am starting to play around with Daz3D, so maybe there will be some rendered art in the future.