Zen and the art of farming

Zolgar

What is my next build goal?

I am new to farming but I have a 50 spine/fire that I built using the Low Budget Fire Farm guide - I can do 4/8 but now I want to create a build that tears it up 🙂

What is the general spine/fire goal build? My farmer will never leave the AH - used only for money and leveling alts.

thanks for any advice- I have about 200 million inf now so I think I can start building one of the end game elite builds - I'm psyched to see how far the math can go 🙂

Thank you

• 3 weeks later
  • 1 month later

Thanks @Zolgar for this guide. It gave me some ideas on how to improve my Rad/Fire Brute farmer.

I heard some people talk about "AFK Farming" and I'm still wondering how that works.

Anyone care to show me a guide on that?

What else do I need to use my Rad/Fire for AFK Farming?

playing on Reunion

1 hour ago, Ura Hero said:

AFK farming is using one of the maps that has roaming spawns such as Briggs Comic Con fire farm on the asteroid.  Go stand in the middle of the map with burn on auto,  Come back in about 5 minutes and switch to the next map.

I'll try that.

Not sure it will work on my build, even though I have fully IO'd all the def. and res....

I think my build has a point where the incoming dmg. is just a little above what it can handle. At least, that's what I notice when running the $Comic Con$ street farm.

playing on Reunion

van you put a heal on auto? Maybe the healing Destiny slot, whatever it is?

Do make sure that you have both capped def and capped resistance, even a fraction of a percent will make a difference. Also make sure that you calculate it with the "in combat" defense as many powers have difference levels of defense when attacked.

Or use the ingame window to confirm your are capped 🙂

• 4 weeks later
On 2/25/2021 at 3:46 PM, Papaschtroumpf said:

van you put a heal on auto? Maybe the healing Destiny slot, whatever it is?

Do make sure that you have both capped def and capped resistance, even a fraction of a percent will make a difference. Also make sure that you calculate it with the "in combat" defense as many powers have difference levels of defense when attacked.

Or use the ingame window to confirm your are capped 🙂

This.  If you are 44.6% Fire DEF vs 45%, it -WILL- make a difference for AFK vs active farming.  Same goes for perma-haste vs. just shy of it.  

When you active farm, you are throwing out so many attacks, that the slightly lower defense and/or recharge numbers on a cheaper build don’t matter much.  I have a cheap build I used for active farming for months and I was always running Briggs maps at sub 5 minute clear times, faster with Lore pets but pretty speedy even without.  But that farmer couldn’t AFK because fire defense was at 44.2% or something close to it.  A respec fixed that and he AFK farms without any issues now.

Also, if you PL alts using your farmers, try map 36565.  Nothing spawns until you touch an object first.  Makes it easy to hide the alt before the mayhem starts.  Very good map for AFK farming as well as long as you position yourself properly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find that once while my afk farmer build (both 90% fire res and 45.46% def) dies without the heal on auto. It's a but luck of the draw, but with minions dying so fast you end up with a large posse of bosses grinding at you, and once in a while the regen doesn't keep up. Putting the heal on auto solves it but now can't put Burn on auto.

For the same reason I can't put Hasten on auto, but I still have decent recharge, burn goes off every 12s or so...

EDIT: tried it and completed teh comic con arc 5 times (26 missions and never got close to dying on afk, so it is rare than I remembered)

Right now I have a pretty cheap build, maybe I'll upgrade for mode speed, for more auto burn.

I'll check with thread for better builds

Edited by Papaschtroumpf

• 6 months later

I like the Toga Wars {AFK Fire Farm - 15 minute timer} timed fire farm:  Arc-ID:  38183    It has mobs that train the enemy around the map so they aggro you easily.    It appears to be just as good as the Briggs fire farms.   I still do briggs on occasion also.

2 hours ago, SmalltalkJava said:

I like the Toga Wars {AFK Fire Farm - 15 minute timer} timed fire farm:  Arc-ID:  38183    It has mobs that train the enemy around the map so they aggro you easily.    It appears to be just as good as the Briggs fire farms.   I still do briggs on occasion also.

I use that one now more than most of my others.  I do occasionally see some S/L damage hitting my AFK farmer but since I’m AFK I haven’t always bothered to find the source.

• 5 months later
On 3/21/2021 at 7:55 AM, Crysis said:

I was always running Briggs maps at sub 5 minute clear times, faster with Lore pets but pretty speedy even without.  But that farmer couldn’t AFK because fire defense was at 44.2% or something close to it.  

How do you run a Brigg farm this fast? I can /afk Briggs comicon cave edition +4/+8 with no issues so i think my build is solid.  But it takes me 30-40 min to do a full clear.  How do you farm? maybe I am missing something simple.

2 hours ago, Mashugana said:

How do you run a Brigg farm this fast? I can /afk Briggs comicon cave edition +4/+8 with no issues so i think my build is solid.  But it takes me 30-40 min to do a full clear.  How do you farm? maybe I am missing something simple.

I believe he's talking about the comicon astroid edition of Briggs map, where there are 5 missions in the set and he's running each of those in the 5 minute range. If not, then I too am curious to hear how so fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardship said:

I believe he's talking about the comicon astroid edition of Briggs map, where there are 5 missions in the set and he's running each of those in the 5 minute range. If not, then I too am curious to hear how so fast.

Exactly this.  Sub-5 is very much the norm for active farming Comic-Con.  I do have a couple of AFK farmers who can do another (non-Briggs) asteroid fire farm in under 10 minutes.  Same model, five missions in row, AFK only.  Jump in, pop Hybrid and BP Radial Lores and walk away.  The dozen or so helpers bring everything to you and map cleared in about 10 mins.  Sometimes you’ll have a group that gets stuck but not usually, but that will add a couple/few minutes to the session.  So for roughly double the time as active farming I can get same benefit while I play a separate instance of the game.

These days it’s mostly just powerfarming alts though.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:20 PM, Crysis said:

Exactly this.  Sub-5 is very much the norm for active farming Comic-Con.  I do have a couple of AFK farmers who can do another (non-Briggs) asteroid fire farm in under 10 minutes.  Same model, five missions in row, AFK only.  Jump in, pop Hybrid and BP Radial Lores and walk away.  The dozen or so helpers bring everything to you and map cleared in about 10 mins.  Sometimes you’ll have a group that gets stuck but not usually, but that will add a couple/few minutes to the session.  So for roughly double the time as active farming I can get same benefit while I play a separate instance of the game.

These days it’s mostly just powerfarming alts though.

Thank you! I have been doing /afk farming in the larger Comic Con Cave Edition. It takes a good 5-10 min to clear each choke point - I go to the first tunnel intersection and /afk, come back, go to the next intersection, /afk, repeat.

I'll have to try the asteroid and see if its better - thank you!

• 1 month later

Thanks for this guide... I was glaring at a bunch of sub 25 toons that I couldn't face grinding up to be mediocrely decent, so I thought I'd try my hand at farming using this guide as a starter.

Set up a new account and just for the giggles decided to outfit my shiny Spines/Bio Brute without subbing inf from my main account.

What I did do though, was PL him through the first 35 levels with my 50++ Rad/Rad tank which wasn't massively quick, but could easily & safely eat +4/x8 spawns. To raise cash, I ran ticket farms, rolling bronze 30-34 recipes and vendoring anything needing orange salvage (not many with bronze rolls). I then flipped with converters to something that would sell (usually, 2 converters to go in-cat to get rare, then 1 to flip until I hit Defence, or Resistance sets or got randomly lucky). Today my new Brute is outfitted with 3 purple sets, 2 catalysed ATIO sets, and all the shiny uniques. From nothing. And I was a lazy buyer & seller. I think after my first 3 runs I was sitting on around 250M inf (30ish recipes per run, roughly 2-3M profit per recipe). Stopped trying to keep track of it after that.

I didn't bother with fancy insp conversions. Just turned off wakeys, BFs, oranges and blues, and ate everything else. Greens were the only things I converted. Sub-50, accuracy insps are really useful as my proc-slotted auras were whiffing quite a bit.

I was really surprised at how quick this all was. At 35, I was +2/x8, by 40 I was +3/x8 and at 48 I could do +4/x8. Now he has all the 50 sets, I would imagine +4/x8 will be a breeze. iPowers will be the cherry on top. Along the way, I dragged half a dozen main account alts from sub teen numbers well into their 20s.

Cheers again!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later

I built a Spines/Fire Brute 'budget' Brute farmer early on HC.

It has hit the Fire Resistance cap with ease.  But the fire defence is far short of what is required for a fire farm.  So you can't leave it AFK.

It doesn't have any purples in it.  So it's time to respec and take it to the next level.

Anyone got any juicy AFK Spines/Fire Brute builds that can 'take the heat' on fire farms AFK? 

Ironically, my Spines/BIO (great armour set) Tank is fire def' capped (just about .5 off...) but the Fire resistance is pitifull and it gets found out on a fire farm.

My plan is to follow this with a Rad/Rad Brute along a similar design brief.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

On 4/28/2022 at 5:05 PM, Harlequin565 said:

Thanks for this guide... I was glaring at a bunch of sub 25 toons that I couldn't face grinding up to be mediocrely decent, so I thought I'd try my hand at farming using this guide as a starter.

Set up a new account and just for the giggles decided to outfit my shiny Spines/Bio Brute without subbing inf from my main account.

What I did do though, was PL him through the first 35 levels with my 50++ Rad/Rad tank which wasn't massively quick, but could easily & safely eat +4/x8 spawns. To raise cash, I ran ticket farms, rolling bronze 30-34 recipes and vendoring anything needing orange salvage (not many with bronze rolls). I then flipped with converters to something that would sell (usually, 2 converters to go in-cat to get rare, then 1 to flip until I hit Defence, or Resistance sets or got randomly lucky). Today my new Brute is outfitted with 3 purple sets, 2 catalysed ATIO sets, and all the shiny uniques. From nothing. And I was a lazy buyer & seller. I think after my first 3 runs I was sitting on around 250M inf (30ish recipes per run, roughly 2-3M profit per recipe). Stopped trying to keep track of it after that.

I didn't bother with fancy insp conversions. Just turned off wakeys, BFs, oranges and blues, and ate everything else. Greens were the only things I converted. Sub-50, accuracy insps are really useful as my proc-slotted auras were whiffing quite a bit.

I was really surprised at how quick this all was. At 35, I was +2/x8, by 40 I was +3/x8 and at 48 I could do +4/x8. Now he has all the 50 sets, I would imagine +4/x8 will be a breeze. iPowers will be the cherry on top. Along the way, I dragged half a dozen main account alts from sub teen numbers well into their 20s.

Cheers again!

Interesting.

I've never really farmed using tickets.  Have to try this.  Good idea to turn off the inspires you're not focused on.

Getting something that can sell through converters (before going in Cat to get rare and even more converters...) can take alot of flips, I find.  Though when the 'luck' (of the gambler) is with you...

Update.

An awareness of the Recipe table categories and how that hierarchy works is essential to 'not wasting' converters.  'Ah...Grasshopper, now I see.'  *Penny falls from a great height.  'Doink.'  Aha...

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

I just recently finished with my Rad/Fire/Mu build. (Briggs farm build) I was running maps at +3/8 up until I got all of my sets completed, because it made life easier. I took a break at that point and did the grind to get all of my T4 incarnates done via Ouroborus for the quick incarnate salvage drops (50 runs of the "burdens of the past part 1 @-1/1" plus emp merits from leveling for all 6 incarnate slots to T4).

I am now running +4/8 without any threat of failure.  My question is this.  Why do some farm missions make me lvl 49 and some make me lvl 50.  I cant really tell the difference in kill rate or earnings. I remember reading somewhere that it boosted rewards somehow by being lvl 49, but I cant find a straight answer.. my search-fu is weak!

Edited by jeolman1

• 1 month later
  • 5 months later

Those of you looking for S/L AFK Farms, I recently made one that uses the Atta Map. 53436 is the farm.

All you have to do is find the Ally (AFK Ninja who will be in Atta's room every time), put him on follow, set whichever attack you use to auto, and come back every 45 minutes. Make sure to allow AVs so the ally does not die. Every now and then you get stuck, but I minimized that happening by maxing the size of the ally and minimizing (but making as wide as possible) the size of my own character. I think it beats having to come back every 5/10 minutes with the small asteroid maps and you get to make passive influence while still playing the game on another account.

• 2 weeks later
On 1/3/2023 at 11:59 PM, Helios Mage said:

Those of you looking for S/L AFK Farms, I recently made one that uses the Atta Map. 53436 is the farm.

All you have to do is find the Ally (AFK Ninja who will be in Atta's room every time), put him on follow, set whichever attack you use to auto, and come back every 45 minutes. Make sure to allow AVs so the ally does not die. Every now and then you get stuck, but I minimized that happening by maxing the size of the ally and minimizing (but making as wide as possible) the size of my own character. I think it beats having to come back every 5/10 minutes with the small asteroid maps and you get to make passive influence while still playing the game on another account.

I tried your map and got stuck, on+4/x8 I could not even get close to the ninja. After dying a couple of times trying, I’ve had to put the settings to -1/x1 so at least I could “survive” and reach the ninja only to find out he just stands around and dos nothing. Had to grind my way through the maps. Maybe I did something wrong I don’t know. 

I use the ea to up my characters, because I do not want to follow the storie line for weeks per character. I play with one the story line and the other I up using EA.

And to be fully honest I’ve been out of the game to long (2007) to understand the whole fire farm maps thingy, I guess it’s for getting loads of inf and transfer it to other accounts?? Of is fire so good all other powers are just a joke? I really don’t get it. I’ve been reading here a lot, and the transfer thing is the only thing I can imagine I’d useful.

anyway, I do not want a character with fire. So it’s very hard for me to find farm missions to get enough inf for my upgrades. It’s almost all fire maps…. 

im using now the bbq map from @a humble farmer 

Nr 3297

its a very short map, takes about 15 or 20 minutes per round and I feel like I’m getting a lot of exp and inf.

if anybody have tips (better farms) for me I would appreciate it a lot. (Especially looking for Large farmmap for non-fire characters ) 

every day I’m on more and more is coming back to me but much is still a blur for me.