Popmenus: the what, why and how.

Zolgar

Not a noticeable difference but thanx for showing my error. Is how I learn. Only thought might be renaming then using power by name as a workaround. Just guess that they are not called 'Demons' in game. Just singular 'Demon'. Mayb ...? IDK  But for any others who might want whole popmenu:

//
Menu "Demon"
{
Title "Summon or Dismiss"
menu Summon
{
option "&Demonlings" "powexecname Summon Demonlings"
option "D&emons" "powexecname Summon Demons"
option "Demon Prin&ce" "powexecname Summon Demon Prince"
}
menu Dismiss
{
option "&All" "petcom_all Dismiss"
option "&Demonlings" "petcom_pow demonlings Dismiss"
option "D&emons" "petcom_pow demons Dismiss”
option "Demon Prin&ce" "petcom_pow demon prince Dismiss”
}
Title "Stance and Action"
menu Demonlings
{
option "&Aggressive" "petcom_pow demonlings Aggressive"
option "&Defensive" "petcom_pow demonlings Defensive"
option "Pa&ssive" "petcom_pow demonlings Passive"
option "Atta&ck" "petcom_pow demonlings Attack"
option "&Follow" "petcom_pow demonlings Follow"
option "&Goto" "petcom_pow demonlings Goto"
}
menu "Demons"
{
option "&Aggressive" "petcom_pow demons Aggressive"
option "&Defensive" "petcom_pow demons Defensive"
option "Pa&ssive" "petcom_pow demons Passive"
option "Atta&ck" "petcom_pow demons Attack”
option "&Follow" "petcom_pow demons Follow”
option "&Goto" "petcom_pow demons Goto”
}
menu "Demon Prince"
{
option "&Aggressive" "petcom_pow demon prince Aggressive"
option "&Defensive" "petcom_pow demon prince Defensive"
option "Pa&ssive" "petcom_pow demon prince Passive"
option "Atta&ck" "petcom_pow demon prince Attack”
option "&Follow" "petcom_pow demon prince Follow”
option "&Goto" "petcom_pow demon prince Goto”
}
menu All
{
option "&Aggressive" "petcomall Aggressive"
option "&Defensive" "petcomall Defensive"
option "Pa&ssive" "petcomall Passive"
option "Atta&ck" "petcomall Attack"
option "&Follow" "petcomall Follow"
option "&Goto" "petcomall Goto"
}

Title "Pet Buffs"
{
Option "E&nchant" "powexecname Enchant Demon"
Option "B&lessing" "powexecname Hell on Earth"
Option "E&mpowerment" "powexecname Abyssal Empowerment"
}
}

1 hour ago, Satarna said:

Not a noticeable difference but thanx for showing my error. Is how I learn. Only thought might be renaming then using power by name as a workaround. Just guess that they are not called 'Demons' in game. Just singular 'Demon'. Mayb ...? IDK

I looked over the petcom_pow wiki page as well as the original numpad MM binds thread pretty thoroughly and based on those I don't see anything in the menu that seems incorrect. However, I would not use the singular 'Demon' instead of 'Demons', because it looks like that would cause issues based on the info on the wiki page. Perhaps go line by line and test each command to see if it works, and see if you notice any patterns there. Otherwise perhaps someone with some experience with masterminds might be able to spot the issue.

Just to be clear, did you fully restart the game after making the adjustments to the popmenu?

I did some testing on the beta server and I found two issues.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, Satarna said:

Every worked just fine on the Demonlings. Happy camper I am. Then along come the Demons (haven't made it to Prince level). Now those commands are half n half! I can Summon but can't Dismiss the Demons (Demonlings working good), thank goodness for Dismiss all! When I go to test the Stances, no problem. But the actions don't work!

The issues with the dismiss and actions commands not working were due to an invalid quote type. I didn't notice the issue until I pasted the text into Notepad++, where the differences in the quote types was easier to spot than on the forum. But, there are two quote types in use in the popmenu. One is a vertical double quote, and the other is a slanted double quote. The slanted quote type was causing the issue. I've attached an image showing the difference. Look closely at the quote types at the end of the two lines of code. The top is the correct vertical double quote, and the bottom is the slanted double quote that is causing the issue.

quote_types_zoom.thumb.png.c343f7295690c009c3ade26b1bc06b25.png

If that slanted double quote is replaced with the proper vertical double quote, the commands will work as normal. The following lines have the invalid double quote at the end of the line (spoilered):

Spoiler

Line 15: option "D&emons" "petcom_pow demons Dismiss”
    Line 16: option "Demon Prin&ce" "petcom_pow demon prince Dismiss”
    Line 33: option "Atta&ck" "petcom_pow demons Attack”
    Line 34: option "&Follow" "petcom_pow demons Follow”
    Line 35: option "&Goto" "petcom_pow demons Goto”
    Line 42: option "Atta&ck" "petcom_pow demon prince Attack”
    Line 43: option "&Follow" "petcom_pow demon prince Follow”
    Line 44: option "&Goto" "petcom_pow demon prince Goto”

The other issue, which you might not have noticed yet if you don't yet have the ability to summon demon princes, is that using the name 'demon prince' with the petcom_pow command was causing the command to be issued to all the pets, not just the demon prince. If the name is shortened to just 'prince', then those commands will apply only to the demon prince. In other words, this command:

• option "&Aggressive" "petcom_pow demon prince Aggressive"

was setting all pets to aggressive, whereas this command:

• option "&Aggressive" "petcom_pow prince Aggressive"

sets only the demon prince to aggressive.

I have attached an edited version of the popmenu that includes all these fixes. I tested it fairly thoroughly on the beta server and am reasonably confident that it should work without issue. Feel free to rename that file whatever you like.

mm_demons.mnu

Edited by AboveTheChemist

On 8/7/2019 at 4:02 PM, LaconicLemur said:

I wanted to update my Custom Menu window (screenshot here) and realized both your info and Healix's were not quite what I did to create my custom window menu.  Replying to your post so I can link it from my guide.

Here are the steps to create a "PopMenuTest" window:

(1) With CoH closed, in your CoH Tequila data folder, make sure you have sub-folders for the following path: \TequilaCoH\data\texts\English\Menus *AND*  \data\customwindows

(2) In the \TequilaCoH\data\texts\English\Menus folder, create a text file "PopMenuTest.mnu"

(3) Using Notepad, edit the .mnu file according to what commands you want in the menu. Make sure you NAME THE MAIN MENU the SAME NAME AS THE FILENAME. An example below:

Code:

Reveal hidden contents

Menu PopMenuTest
{
    Menu "Travel"
    {
        Option "&Ouroboros"                "powexec_location 0:10 Ouroboros Portal"
        Option "&SG Base Teleport"        "powexec_name Base Transporter"
        Option "&Mission Teleport"        "powexec_name Mission Transporter"
        Option "&Assemble the Team"        "powexec_name Assemble the Team"
        Option "&Team Mission Teleport"    "powexec_location 0:10 Team Transporter"
        Option "&Wentworth's"            "powexec_name Enhanced Day Trader Teleporter"

}
}

(4) Login to CoH.  Create a macro called Window: "/macro Window "popmenu PopMenuTest"  --> this has to be the same name as the filename of your .mnu file in the \TequilaCoH\data\texts\English\Menus

(5) Type in the command " /customwindow PopMenuTest"   --> This will create a menu window on the top left of your screen.  Sometimes the Target window will block it.  Click on it to expand.

(6) Drag your Macro "Window" onto the "New Command" text bar.  --> This will add your popmenu macro to the custom window.

(7) Check the folder \data\customwindows  --> there should be a file there titled "custom.window" that was generated by CoH.

Note: in the original discussion, it was recommended that instead of step #6 dragging the macro button, was to edit the custom.window file directly.  I found that wouldn't work if I didn't have the macro.  So I just created the macro and dragged it over.

Your final window should look like this.  Note: if you try to execute powers you don't own, they won't trigger.

I'm unable to get this to work.  When I follow your instructions, using my own macro setup, OR using yours exactly, I only end up with a "Window" button and a New Command button. The Window button does nothing when I click on it, and it cannot be edited.   See my attached screenshot.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  

😎 Eric the Grey

Capture.PNG

You need to first create window.mnu in your gamepath/data/texts/English/Menus with some sort of command. Pick any downloadable MNU here and rename it to window.mnu and it will provide options as long as you restart CoH after creating the customwindow.

You have to edit .mnu files outside of the game with a text editor and restart CoH to get them to update.

Edited by zenblack

19 hours ago, zenblack said:

You need to first create window.mnu in your gamepath/data/texts/English/Menus with some sort of command. Pick any downloadable MNU here and rename it to window.mnu and it will provide options as long as you restart CoH after creating the customwindow.

You have to edit .mnu files outside of the game with a text editor and restart CoH to get them to update.

I do.  I copied and pasted your example after failing with one I created (one with MM commands in it).  I deleted them all, and created the new ones using the exact same steps. 

😎 Eric the Grey

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, zenblack said:

You named it PopMenuTest.mnu instead of Window.mnu. You have to name the file the same as the macro you made.

Actually, no.  I copied and pasted your text exactly from your post.

I did figure it out.  After looking closely, I finally saw it.  I was missing the blank line at the start of the .mnu file.  Both the one I created, and the one I created from your example. 

Thanks for the tips.  Now, to create a few others, for different characters...

😎 Eric the Grey

• 2 weeks later

So  I am dabbling into this a tiny bit, having come up with a silly notion to make a character that will only use macros to communicate. 
Picture a walking Magic 8 Ball kind of thing. 

Admittedly, quite silly. 

Anyway - I thought I would write just a couple of expressions, load them in and just see if I could get it to work. 
My dilemma is that word won't save the document as .mnu 

(I'd have put a period to end that last sentence, but it would look funny.) 

It saves it as filename.mnu.docx
I added the mnu after the file name thinking it would save in that format. When I looked at Save Options - it listed about a dozen different file extensions, but none of them .mnu

Please don't tell me I need to upgrade my copy of Word. I'm cheap, and this version up to this point has done everything I've needed it to. Would Open Office work, or Google Docs?

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

So  I am dabbling into this a tiny bit, having come up with a silly notion to make a character that will only use macros to communicate. 
Picture a walking Magic 8 Ball kind of thing. 

Admittedly, quite silly. 

Anyway - I thought I would write just a couple of expressions, load them in and just see if I could get it to work. 
My dilemma is that word won't save the document as .mnu 

(I'd have put a period to end that last sentence, but it would look funny.) 

It saves it as filename.mnu.docx
I added the mnu after the file name thinking it would save in that format. When I looked at Save Options - it listed about a dozen different file extensions, but none of them .mnu

Please don't tell me I need to upgrade my copy of Word. I'm cheap, and this version up to this point has done everything I've needed it to. Would Open Office work, or Google Docs?

It appears Wordpad and/or Notepad can edit and save in that format.

• 2 weeks later

SURE, it would be, but then I would have to use a different command than I do for all my other chats, plus that's quitter talk 😛

Excellent guide. Thanks for taking the time to explain it and share. I'm looking forward to diving into this further. 

• 1 month later
  • 5 months later
Spoiler

//POPMENU chat

Menu “chat”
{
   Title chat
   Option “help chat &q” “beginchat /hc [@Zolgar] “
   Option "LFG &w" "beginchat /lfg [$level $archetype] "
}

The addition of spaces has changed nothing.  No popmenu appears.

Edited by DarknessEternal

1 hour ago, DarknessEternal said:

Why does this:

Hide contents

//POPMENU chat
Menu “chat”
{
Title chat
Option “help chat &q” “beginchat /hc [@Zolgar] “
Option "LFG &w" "beginchat /lfg [$level $archetype] "
}

do nothing?  Doesn't bring up any menus.

You've got two different quote types in the menu. Look carefully at the double quotes in the 'Menu' line and in the first option line. They are 'slanted' quotes and aren't recognized as proper quotes by the game. The quotes in the second option line are 'vertical' quotes and are the proper type, so if you replace the 'slanted' quotes with the 'vertical' quotes it should work fine.

EDIT: And if you scroll up the page to my August 26, 2020 post it shows another example of the two quote types.

Also I don't think you need a blank line at the beginning as long as you have at least one commented line (using the double forward slash //) at the beginning, which in this case you do have.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
another example up-thread
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

You've got two different quote types in the menu. Look carefully at the double quotes in the 'Menu' line and in the first option line. They are 'slanted' quotes and aren't recognized as proper quotes by the game. The quotes in the second option line are 'vertical' quotes and are the proper type, so if you replace the 'slanted' quotes with the 'vertical' quotes it should work fine.

Wow thanks.  Working in Notepad all the quotes looked the same, so I was never going to see that.  I even didn't consider that after going through all the examples in this thread because of that.  But I did a global replace of all the quotes and now it works perfect.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I have a question about Locked Options

I have a few locked options that work and keeps me from wasting time on a character that can't use, say emotes like Tantrum.

I have taken all my vanity pets and pulled them off my precious power tray real estate. but now I Cant see if that particular toon has that vanity pet.

I would like to know if there is a locked option that looks for what ever token we are given or if there even is one. 

I checked https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Popmenu_(Slash_Command)

for a list of tokens but cant see any that relate to P2W vanity pets.

An Ounce of Pounce is worth a Pound of Bounce.

• 2 weeks later

Another question. 8Ï

WHen pressing the ' (single quote) on the keyboard the Quickmenu pops up, not on the mouse but in a specific location.  I really would love that to happen for my menu.

A popmenu will always pop on the mouse location. Even a macro if called via a keybind will do this.  By clicking the popmenu's macro button (needing to be in the upper left for menu extension) is the same thing because the mouse is at the button. There are often times my mouse is in the lower right and the pop menu extends up and under the mouse causing the hot keys to be ignored. And thus my needed command not to fire with a key combo.

I do a lot of command calls on the fly from the menu and don't want to figure out where my mouse is.  Every time I get a non fire its due to this issue. And I would love to find a solution. Right now I am working to develop the habit of just sliding my mouse up+left before i press my hotkey. But i hope thats not the only solution.

Edited by Pouncy

I really hope people are reading this lol, because I have another question.

Because Custom windows are such a PITA and never stay put and ... and ... the list goes on and i want to get rid of my custom window all together. BUT they have one great feature.  THey can use substitute delimiters. I noticed <& &> when i need "" in a command.  The game does not recolonize ' so that failed.

So I need a way to get commands that need "" into my menu. 

I am sure more questions will come.

EDIT

I figgured out that the popmenu can use the same code <& &> on the outside of the command so this big honker actualy worked

Option "&INSP Large" <&macro_image Inspiration_Defense_Lvl_3 Make_Phen_Luck "inspcombine Robust Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Resurgence Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Second_Wind Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Escape Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Restoration Phenomenal_Luck"&>

Edited by Pouncy