This will take some getting used to.

Heraclea

22 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

No shame.

Shame implies guilt and wrong-doing.

What has been done here is not shameful, even if it 'disappoints'.

It's a frickin' Internet forum color scheme, not a sin against humanity.

Fine, you don't like the changes.

Trying to literally make the HC team feel _shame_ or any other negative emotion over changes they felt like making on thier servers is BS.

If you don't like the format, use one of the many plug-ins for browsers that alter interfaces, not passive-aggressive guilt.

While your accuracy concerning one of the meanings of the word shame is correct, your rather perplexing assumption as to which meaning contextually was being used is incorrect.

The meaning that was being conveyed by the use of the word was this:  a regrettable or unfortunate situation or action.

I wont speculate as to why you perhaps chose to believe so erroneously a different meaning to what I posted, but I will say that such is quite unfortunate....

• Retired Game Master

If you've got a suggestion about how to improve the color scheme, we've got a whole forums suggestions subforum now.

In reference to "change for change's sake", this is completely new, different forums software, not just an update of the previous version of the forum or a fancy skin applied to the top.  We've run into the limitations of Simple Machines Forum a lot over the past couple months, and Invision lets us more tightly integrate the forums, the support system and the game servers together -- for example, now you can file tickets and bug reports without leaving the game and check on them with your forums account, rather than having to sign in to a separate site with its own username and password.  The visual change is jarring for some users who were dedicated users of the previous forums, but we're currently tweaking and adjusting the new theme for improved usability based on the playerbase's suggestions.

Edited by GM Capocollo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, GM Capocollo said:

If you've got a suggestion about how to improve the color scheme, we've got a whole forums suggestions subforum now.

In reference to "change for change's sake", this is completely new, different forums software, not just an update of the previous version of the forum or a fancy skin applied to the top.  We've run into the limitations of Simple Machines Forum a lot over the past couple months, and Invision lets us more tightly integrate the forums, the support system and the game servers together -- for example, now you can file tickets and bug reports without leaving the game and check on them with your forums account, rather than having to sign in to a separate site with its own username and password.  The visual change is jarring for some users who were dedicated users of the previous forums, but we're currently tweaking and adjusting the new theme for improved usability based on the playerbase's suggestions.

Thank you for the additional information and commentary on the subject.

1 hour ago, Sanguinesun said:

While your accuracy concerning one of the meanings of the word shame is correct, your rather perplexing assumption as to which meaning contextually was being used is incorrect.

The meaning that was being conveyed by the use of the word was this:  a regrettable or unfortunate situation or action.

I wont speculate as to why you perhaps chose to believe so erroneously a different meaning to what I posted, but I will say that such is quite unfortunate....

The change is neither regrettable nor is is unfortunate, both of which imply 'wrong' on the part of HC.

The entire implication of 'change for the sake of change' is an ageist and deregetory outlook meant to make the people changing things feel bad about doing it because it is 'meaningless.'

Your posts were meant to make the HC team 'feel bad' about having 'changed for the sake of change', IMO, the way they are presented and worded.

Even 'dissappointed' has the whole 'elder telling the child' they have done wrong.

If, in fact, you really did not mean any of these things, then I will be plesantly suprised...

5 minutes ago, GM Fiddleback said:

Everyone has a preference and an opinion and that's fine. Let's not go around assigning motive and intent needlessly. 

All I can do is read the language presented.

When that language is classically used as a weapon to denigrate, I get pissed off, we are who we are.

IMO, the entire _idea_ of, in anyway, berating, dismissing, shaming, etc. over the fact something so trivial as someone else having changed a few pixels on a game forum they control is abhorrent.

Really.

At this point in my life, I have simply decided to _not_ 'let it slide' anymore if I have the opportunity to confront it.

If, in fact, confronting peoples motives for the (IMO) passive-agressive 'dissing' of other gamers and game runners is not something you guys want here, then I guess I am done posting anything...

"Why?" and "How?" are the only intersting things to me... 

31 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

All I can do is read the language presented.

When that language is classically used as a weapon to denigrate, I get pissed off, we are who we are.

IMO, the entire _idea_ of, in anyway, berating, dismissing, shaming, etc. over the fact something so trivial as someone else having changed a few pixels on a game forum they control is abhorrent.

Really.

At this point in my life, I have simply decided to _not_ 'let it slide' anymore if I have the opportunity to confront it.

If, in fact, confronting peoples motives for the (IMO) passive-agressive 'dissing' of other gamers and game runners is not something you guys want here, then I guess I am done posting anything...

"Why?" and "How?" are the only intersting things to me... 

Then I have a question for you. Why do you care enough about someone else's opinion about something to harrass them like this? Do you expect anyone to change their opinions just because you don't like it?

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

33 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Then I have a question for you. Why do you care enough about someone else's opinion about something to harrass them like this? Do you expect anyone to change their opinions just because you don't like it?

I care because I am a life-long geek and I am tired of seeing geeks berated for changing things when all they are doing is trying to grow and improve the situation.

I see this _hourly_ in my RL and in the gaming community - people using passive-agressive emotional guilt in an effort to make geeks feel bad for trying to improve things, because those people cannot or will not keep up and want everyone else to slow down...

I have gotten really tired of having other poeple try to tell geeks to stop innovating while at the same time yelling at them because the cheese was moved.

My only hope when doing these things is simple - that people take a moment to examine why they have chosen to put down another person, _even when they have convinced themsleves they did not say anythign bad_.

Language and inuendo matter, here on these forums another poster in particular _constantly_ spews this type of passive-agressive stuff and then claims they never meant it that way, for example. 

When I and other call it out, we become the 'bad guys'.

That is about as clear as I can be on it, I think.

If this makes _me_ the 'bad guy', I can live with that, we are all trapped in our own delusions.

5 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

I care because I am a life-long geek and I am tired of seeing geeks berated for changing things when all they are doing is trying to grow and improve the situation.

I see this _hourly_ in my RL and in the gaming community - people using passive-agressive emotional guilt in an effort to make geeks feel bad for trying to improve things, because those people cannot or will not keep up and want everyone else to slow down...

I have gotten really tired of having other poeple try to tell geeks to stop innovating while at the same time yelling at them because the cheese was moved.

My only hope when doing these things is simple - that people take a moment to examine why they have chosen to put down another person, _even when they have convinced themsleves they did not say anythign bad_.

Language and inuendo matter, here on these forums another poster in particular _constantly_ spews this type of passive-agressive stuff and then claims they never meant it that way, for example. 

When I and other call it out, we become the 'bad guys'.

That is about as clear as I can be on it, I think.

If this makes _me_ the 'bad guy', I can live with that, we are all trapped in our own delusions.

Dude, nobody wants to deal with your "I'm enlightened and all of you poor creatures can't see how righteous my cause is" shtick.  Also, this isn't YouTube, stop using underscores and hit the goddam italic button.

This place needs an ignore function badly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AkuTenshiiZero said:

Dude, nobody wants to deal with your "I'm enlightened and all of you poor creatures can't see how righteous my cause is" shtick.  Also, this isn't YouTube, stop using underscores and hit the goddam italic button.

This place needs an ignore function badly.

For example....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GM Capocollo said:

Most forum installs have options available to customize the experience, ie change colors, show/hide avatars, etc. It would be cool if those were turned on, if possible.

One thing I miss from the old forum: At the top of every page is the listing for where you are in the forum. For example, this thread has Home > City of Heroes: Homecoming > General Discussion > This will take some getting used to. at the top. On the old forums, clicking on the City of Heroes: Homecoming part would bring you to a page showing all the subforums, just scrolled so the page loads looking at the subforums in the City of Heroes: Homecoming heading. On these forums, if you click that part, it'll only load those particular subforums. It was just a bigger target to click when I wanted to go back to the page for the whole forum.

21 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

The change is neither regrettable nor is is unfortunate, both of which imply 'wrong' on the part of HC.

The entire implication of 'change for the sake of change' is an ageist and deregetory outlook meant to make the people changing things feel bad about doing it because it is 'meaningless.'

Your posts were meant to make the HC team 'feel bad' about having 'changed for the sake of change', IMO, the way they are presented and worded.

Even 'dissappointed' has the whole 'elder telling the child' they have done wrong.

If, in fact, you really did not mean any of these things, then I will be plesantly suprised...

I recognize you're desire to inanely spin the narrative into a different direction but its rather silly, really. 

I expressed my disappointment with the changes and concern initially that it was felt to have been a change for change's sake etc. etc. 

As others have subsequently pointed out, those were simply opinions; and while I still do feel it was unfortunate that such change occurred, I cited appreciation of GM Capocollo's further clarifications and thusly understand the team's perspectives for the change.

So it is unfortunate that you've felt it necessary to do as you have in the thread, especially in the subsequent irony of posts that you made there after... 

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2019 at 6:50 AM, jubakumbi said:

No shame.

Shame implies guilt and wrong-doing.

What has been done here is not shameful, even if it 'disappoints'.

It's a frickin' Internet forum color scheme, not a sin against humanity.

Fine, you don't like the changes.

Trying to literally make the HC team feel _shame_ or any other negative emotion over changes they felt like making on thier servers is BS.

If you don't like the format, use one of the many plug-ins for browsers that alter interfaces, not passive-aggressive guilt.

How is your post any different than what you are (incorrectly) accusing someone else of doing?  You are attempting to make someone feel bad for presenting their personal opinion, i.e., trying to shame them into feeling bad about themselves.  Never mind that you took his meaning completely out of context and stretched it to a point far beyond the rational; on it's own the hypocrisy in your post is so strong as to invalidate itself.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, ed_anger said:

Most forum installs have options available to customize the experience, ie change colors, show/hide avatars, etc. It would be cool if those were turned on, if possible.

Agreed.  I found the option for turning off sigs, but would like one for hiding avatars and also images in posts.