Pistol Secondary.

Khan668

Pistols likes to play closer to the action and has a T9 that is Point-Blank in range.  So any secondary that also like to be in PBAoE range also has some synergy with the set.  Additionally, any secondary with innate stealth also plays well with getting into PBAoE range. 

Furthermore, Pistols does incredibly well with damage procs.  The attacks have a lot of diverse debuffs/effects which opens them up to IO's from Defense Debuff (Achilles' Heel, Lady Grey, Shieldbreaker) or Knockback (Explosive Strikes, Force Feedback).  Additionally, Suppressive Fire is actually decent damage with base values but gets even better since it can hold 2 purple damage procs. 

So if you're looking to make the most of the damage the set can offer, then you're likely going to want to get as many procs as you can into your most important attacks.  That means you're going to be limiting the options on IO sets to your secondary set/other powers (like Empty Clips)/power pools/etc..

I think Nin offers a lot of synergy to ANY Sentinel Primary that can take on a lot of procs because the powers are so diverse.  Since you can tap Defense, Resistance, Heal, Endurance, and Confuse right in the secondary this blows the doors off the creative process.  There may be some other secondaries that will let you squeeze out recharge without relying on the primary (SR comes to mind with Red Fortune + LotG), but not many sets have as many options just right inside the kit. 

Sentinel /Nin has stealth meaning it also pairs very well with any sets that use PBAoE powers (Pistols, Dark Blast, etc.). 

The Ancillary and Patron pools can also add in a good bit of IO diversity too but this may conflict with what you want.  So if you're looking for a total package secondary that allows a lot of creative planning, Ninjutsu has a lot going for it. 

I say this as having a DP/Nin myself that I have rebuilt a number of times now.  I started dabbling in more procs after doing it on a Corruptor and realized just how freaking flexible Nin is for building characters.  

Nin just checks a lot of boxes.  I also recognize I am really biased towards the set on Sentinels.  So I suggest exploring what you can do in Pine's and see if you can get to a performance level you like with sets you're interested in.  Sentinels have a lot of great options for secondary sets.

Edited by oldskool
  • Like 3

My main is DP/Willpower primarily for the concept. He's a vigilante, no super powers, just guns and an attitude. I love the animation, although some of them are really over the top.

I've glanced over some awesome pairings that still work well concept-wise

DP/Nin seem to be a perfect fit. One big positive is that Ninja Run from P2W removes the "running with a stick up my butt" of DP when guns are out. Also, I think there's an Epic/Patron power pool that has a few Ninja attacks, although I think that's only for sentinels.

WP, SR puts you in the highly skilled gunner like Grifter or even Black Widow. Again, the Ninja Run adds some nice jumping animations to the mix.

DP + Elemental/Dark also works. Plus there are a bunch of elemental Ancillary pools that synergise well with it. 

Special Mention to DP/Time. I saw this post that his concept was a No-escape gunman. Once you're in his grasp, you're bound to get shot. Not sure how it works in actual game, though.

I'm afraid I'm too much of a noob to have any authority to discuss stats and math stuff. 😃

15 hours ago, Six Six said:

Special Mention to DP/Time. I saw this post that his concept was a No-escape gunman. Once you're in his grasp, you're bound to get shot. Not sure how it works in actual game, though.

I actually had this idea, the name I was considering was "Trapshot." The idea being a super professional and methodical vigilante with guns and time powers, that carefully crafts no win situations for his prey... Then I realized I was just basically making Hit with guns.

I made my pistols sentinel /radiation because I had never toyed with the set before.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I'd suggest /NIN or /WP.  I'm a bit biased as I can make either work for my concept, as the name on the secondary doesn't really mean much.  You don't have to be a ninja concept to choose ninja for instance.  😛

Love my DP/NIN, but DP/WP would hit lots of checks too.  Of course, I'd love a Time Manipulation Defense set, with Chronoshift animation in there, but that's never going to happen.  😛  Which totally means, DP/TIME fits my concept, but I played it on live (IOed out even) and really, I know DP/ isn't the most damaging blast set, but it feels so much better on Sentinel than I felt it did on Blaster or Corrs, even if I did skip lots of cool powers that I'd love to have, but needed to fit in lots of other concepty powers!

So, going to have to throw my vote on DP/NIN.  Besides, it also can go full invis with just a Stealth IO added to either Ninjitsu's stealth power or sprint if one wants to save a slot, or even put the slot in Sprint and get the 2.25% S/L Resist Bonus it can provide with a second Celerity IO.