++ Art Talk ++

when people like erwin exist or makes me wonder why I bother selling art at all... if i charged any less than I do I'd be working for below minimum wage

why would anyone want anything from me when they could get out from him cheaper and better? 

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

The best/worst thing is when I see someone who I used to buy art from with a full queue at higher prices 😄  I love your art Flashtoo, and its totally worth what you charge! I, personally, can't afford it but that shouldn't matter so long as you are getting the amount of business you want, and spending the amount of time you want on it.  I er...let things get out of hand with the art spending so I had to put a cap on my per piece allowance and instead have decided its my role to find new cool artists, commission them, and share their awesome until they get so good/popular that I can't afford them 😄

• Like 1

I hear ya Flash, Bobby Aquitania always used to do the same thing for me, in the time that I would take to plan out

my pencil drawing and work up a rough sketch for a headshot/bust he would post up full color, full body

head to toe digitally painted works and give them away FOR FREE. Sometimes a detail would be

missing or the anatomy/pose/perspective was a bit off but what can you do to compete

against that kind of speed and talent combined with such generosity?

The short answer was don't compete. He was doing his thing and I got busy working on my thing.

Strangely enough the couple times I offered limited commissions my slots all filled anyway.

Art collectors (thankfully) are a greedy bunch, E9rkOkuW_o.gif they don't just want to see all of their

heroes in one style they want to see them in as many styles as possible. As Kai said

as long as there is interest and you are getting what you are worth don't sweat it.

Also Erwin is a line-artist, he almost never colors stuff... so unless Bobby finds a way to get reincarnated you're probably fine.07K1tHnz_o.png

Kidding aside for the moment one day I got an email from Bobby, blah blah thanks for all your help with my computer blah,

hey I saw your refs for Shieldara, what do you think of this sketch? I was on my way out for dinner and had no time to

respond,  so I figured I would do it when I got back. A followup like 20 minutes later said Hey I got bored waiting

so I retooled it, now whatcha think? Then like an hour later when I got home this was waiting for me....

48HqOofD_o.jpg

this was the ref sheet he had seen...

db0ceyg-bbcbb721-2b82-4f23-aaef-bfb1c597

R.I.P. Buddy I miss ya terribly........

......but seriously WTF!? rFYv2e1c_o.gif

Pirate Cashoo used to do the same. She was putting out more, in less time, in full color...

and for a while she was also giving it away. Oh and she was like 17 at the time.

Tough time to be an "artist" on the forums... I got humbled a lot back then lol.

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 3

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

Man, Bobby.....I commissioned him for a 5 character piece.  I expected a couple of sketches and one finished one.  Each of the players got a full size sketch, color, color with effects file of their character, and he made like....4 or 5 different 'cuts' of the finished piece, I was like 'we did not pay you that much, are you sure you want to spend all that time'.  I have a Celtic Bolt in my collection too, that was also sheer craziness, the level of art that was done for free.  I was grabbing refs and sketching some not-terrible stuff over a week and bam, 2 hours, full color with effects, CB posts another one for somebody.

Bobby, the colour magician! He had so many plans still 😞 .
He surprised me with this freebie back in 2013. I have it printed out and hung it on the wall. 🙂

d6szuol-858ae64e-f08b-43e6-9e51-20d0d25b

Wow, Celtic Bolt, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Aaaw, he left DA, his name is crossed out 😞 .
But yeah CB did awesome stuff too!

• Like 4

DDLU21.jpg.d32d788cc9a9ad28e1d0bd53f83c1e5d.jpg

Meanwhile on the new artz front, I received a commission from Dingodile.

Quite a unique take on my Witch-Queen Chloe Macomber.

Rather than try to conceal the spreading of her scales he went so

far as to depict her incorporating them into the material of her mask. Nice. zb7XgP0P_o.png

lnvWMT7U_o.jpg

Love the sharp look he gave the hat too.

• Like 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

Thanks!

Oh and here is his take on Brahn Fuhrnos, my SS/Fire/Regen tank. He nailed the eyebrows lol.

His customary "v" notch in his goatee will be added (subtracted?) if/when I color it. 07K1tHnz_o.png

jszCoGrx_o.jpg

One more to go and it will be a relatively new

hero I have never commissioned or received fan art of.

• Like 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

6 hours ago, biostem said:

There is some truly amazing art and artists in this community!

For your consideration, here are some of my favorite costumes that I've come up with:

Heya Biostem. You might have a better chance of getting a hero drawn if you took

a second to read the OP's in the threads you are posting in... or at least the thread titles.

Just dumping a very large assortment of random "costumes" (as you call them)

from the CC in the wrong thread is unlikely to get you anywhere. 

If you do decide to get a paid commission from a sale that

was posted in this thread by all means share it here. 

I would suggest you remove your refs from this thread and put them here... bdD2kT31_o.gif

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/6445-art-request-thread/

Some further tips (and these are just my opinions)

1. 15 is a bit much, pick your favorite 3-5.

2. Some names and powersets added might help an artist decide.

3. Some better refs would help too. Not required but a few of these are much easier to make out details on than the rest.

4. Introduce yourself (there is a thread for that too) and say hi

5. Take a look through some of the other art threads and give some feedback... it couldn't hurt.

6. If you have any art you've received of your heroes already start a thread in the art section and share them.

7. If you do want to post a whole bunch of ref images in an art request thread you can use the spoiler widget.

It's totally fine (expected even) in the "share your costume" threads but If everyone posted that many

refs in the request thread the artists would be endlessly scrolling to find the ref they are looking for.

• Like 4

07K1tHnz_o.png

20 minutes ago, biostem said:

Thank you, Christopher Robin.  I didn't mean to imply that I was looking for anyone to draw all those costumes.  You are correct on your points.  😅

No worries Biostem. Welcome to the best part of the forums. zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

• 2 weeks later

Well you knew this was gonna happen. I'll take one 50% slot for busts and reserve two more please.

I mean I want to be polite and let others have a chance but with

a first come first serve rule on the half price slots, nice goes out the window. rFYv2e1c_o.gif

I've already bought more art in the last 30 days than in the last 6 months but everyone

keeps having sales and well, Poppa needs a matching set for his mains! 

• Haha 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

Updates on multiple fronts.

First up Mischief, the art program with the infinite canvas, is going away December 31st of this year.
Basically what really set it apart from the rest of the field is every stroke drawn in Mischief is essentially a vector

so lines stay sharp and clear at any scale or level of zoom. This allows a crazy range and epic scale not

available in any other art program. It has a 50-trillion-to-one zoom factor: something that creator

Sarah Frisken describes as “sitting on the moon and being able to look at a single flower on Earth.”

Surely overkill for many but impressive none the less and licenses only used to cost $25.

More info about the program here https://magazine.artstation.com/2015/08/mischief-typical-drawing-package/

and the official download site is here. https://www.madewithmischief.com/

On a happier front in the world of commissions I got back a piece that I felt compelled to share... I'll let the art speak for itself.
This is my witch (and rightful queen of the Cabal) Chloe Macomber in her mutated state after surviving the meteor fall in Bloody Bay.

18v25lEX_o.png

Wernope sadly is closed for commissions currently and does not take them very often.

I have received multiple pieces from her in the past and she knows there is more I want done 

so she did say she would tell me if/when she opens up again. Fingers crossed. E9rkOkuW_o.gif

• Like 6

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 9/13/2019 at 11:07 PM, Christopher Robin said:

On a happier front in the world of commissions I got back a piece that I felt compared to share... I'll let the art speak for itself.
This is my witch (and rightful queen of the Cabal) Chloe Macomber in her mutated state after surviving the meteor fall in Bloody Bay.

Wow...she's gorgeous! 🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1