The hidden gem: Sonic/Bio.

Sovera

The success of the build lays squarely on Sonic/. The constant CC in the AoE and very early AoE rotation is all Sonic/ and the vampire effect from Defensive Opportunity works because of Sonic's cones (it doesn't work the same with all cones, Ice/ for example). Ninjutsu is the most well rounded Sentinel secondary in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 year later

Better late than never I suppose...

I stumbled across this post while trying to find a Sonic build that I had fun with; this did the job. One thing I noticed is that I can readily receive both offensive AND defensive opportunities by attacking with Shriek and queuing up Scream. I get the benefits of heals AND additional debuf on targets. Just wanted to inform on this pleasant surprise.

Edited by Haze2021

22 hours ago, Haze2021 said:

Better late than never I suppose...

I stumbled across this post while trying to find a Sonic build that I had fun with; this did the job. One thing I noticed is that I can readily receive both offensive AND defensive opportunities by attacking with Shriek and queuing up Scream. I get the benefits of heals AND additional debuf on targets. Just wanted to inform on this pleasant surprise.

can do this on a few blasts sets. I haven't tested many but you can do it on dark blast. I assume also Psy blast since you can hi the T2 and use T1 before it hits depending on your ranging

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

1 hour ago, Black_Assassin said:

can do this on a few blasts sets. I haven't tested many but you can do it on dark blast. I assume also Psy blast since you can hi the T2 and use T1 before it hits depending on your ranging

Pretty much any blast set with a projectile delay at the right range, so long as one is a single projectile. EG: Fire blast -> Flares works, but Flares -> Fire blast doesn't (Unless there's a lot of lag or something)

This is because the attack has to successfully connect to trigger the effect, so if it's still in flight and you lob the other attack, it still has the "Proc" effectively on it, and won't lose it even after the first attack hits.

As for the OP, yeah, sonic is pretty hilariously good on sentinels, i built a sonic/rad around this idea and it's as absurd as you'd expect, with my /Elec & /SR Obsession, Sent /Rad was a no-brainer since it has a Quickness/Lightning Reflexes type ability in it, and at 35, you get even more AOE Fun with Ground Zero, plus you have innate absorb to go with the resistance and SWard Proc

So kinda like my Elec/Elec/Mu you play like a scrapper a lot of the time, GZero heals and does PBAoE Damage to go with all your existing AOE, and the Res/Absorb combined with a free travel power means you can just jump in, go splodey, and reposition to meter the incoming damage easily.

In a team? you're a terrifying mashup of a Rad defender/troller and a scrapper.

• 1 year later

I remember that I started this build shortly after you put out your OP, and then 2020 happened and everything went to hell.

I came back recently to see my 45 Sonic/Bio with almost nothing slotted, and watched the numbers not be all that great compared to what they were - but the Defensive Opportunity still treats Howl and Shockwave's hits as separate for the vampiric healing effect, so the core is still there. 

Old links don't work anymore, and even your final version of the build is too old.  Any chance you still have the file lying around so you could do the forum post version?  Would be nice to get her the rest of the way up.

• Like 1

Old build but (sadly) nothing has changed since so everything is still in place.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Ninja Tool Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Shriek -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(7)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), GldArm-3defTpProc(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34)
Level 2: Howl -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(17)
Level 4: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 6: Shout -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(19), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), GldJvl-Dam%(23)
Level 8: Environmental Adaptation -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Adaptation
Level 12: Shockwave -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(25), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(25), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(27), FrcFdb-Rechg%(27), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(33), Pnc-Heal(33)
Level 18: Sirens Song -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(34), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(42), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(42), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(43), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(43)
Level 20: Rebuild DNA -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Screech -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(34), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Acc/Rchg(36), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(36), GldJvl-Dam%(37)
Level 28: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 30: Amplify -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), GssSynFr--Build%(37), RctRtc-Pcptn(39), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 32: Dreadful Wail -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Erd-%Dam(42)
Level 35: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 38: Genomic Evolution -- UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 41: Boxing -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48)
Level 44: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(47), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(49), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(50)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48), Rct-Def(50)
Level 49: Tashibishi -- Slow-I(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(13)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation
Level 22: Afterburner
------------

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Old build but (sadly) nothing has changed since so everything is still in place.

Sadly, there IS a significant change! Howl and Shockwave now only hit a maximum of 6 targets, instead of the 10 previously.

I am enjoying Sonic Blast on other ATs, but I feel that my beloved incarnate Sonic/SR sentinel is now superfluous on any end game team.
I tried asking in the Beta forums and here in the Dom forum for the max targets to be kept where it was for Sonic Sentinels, but that request apparently fell on deaf ears. @Captain Powerhouse did not reply with any reason why Sonic Blast on a Sentinel required this change.

2 hours ago, Here be Dragons said:

Sadly, there IS a significant change! Howl and Shockwave now only hit a maximum of 6 targets, instead of the 10 previously.

I am enjoying Sonic Blast on other ATs, but I feel that my beloved incarnate Sonic/SR sentinel is now superfluous on any end game team.
I tried asking in the Beta forums and here in the Dom forum for the max targets to be kept where it was for Sonic Sentinels, but that request apparently fell on deaf ears. @Captain Powerhouse did not reply with any reason why Sonic Blast on a Sentinel required this change.

He said it was OP compared to other cones from other sets or something. Which shows adherence to the letter of the law instead of the spirit. As pointed out Sentinels did -not- need nerfs even if their Sonic was to be an outlier compared to the Sonic of other sets.

2 hours ago, Guffnat said:

That is sad to hear. I really loved the concept for a Vampire Bat Mutant.

You can still do it. In practical terms the loss of targets only matter if soloing at high difficulties. In a team minions evaporate and all that's left are lieutenants and bosses, ergo less than six mobs or so. Even solo once throwing the nuke backed by Aim most minions will be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

He said it was OP compared to other cones from other sets or something. Which shows adherence to the letter of the law instead of the spirit. As pointed out Sentinels did -not- need nerfs even if their Sonic was to be an outlier compared to the Sonic of other sets.

You can still do it. In practical terms the loss of targets only matter if soloing at high difficulties. In a team minions evaporate and all that's left are lieutenants and bosses, ergo less than six mobs or so. Even solo once throwing the nuke backed by Aim most minions will be gone.

It wasn't that sentinel sonic blast was an outlier to other AT sonic blast aoe's, it was that it was an outlier to other sentinel aoe's. Adherence to a vague guideline espoused when they were designing Sentinels. Sentinels have been observed to under perform in terms of contributing to teams, yet there is no apparent re-evaluation of that original guideline.

My experience on +4 ITFs is that between Elite Bosses, Bosses, and Lieutenants, most mobs have significantly more than 6 targets standing, even after a well placed blaster nuke.

I also don't believe the suggestion that, after the rest of the party has done significant damage, it is fine that a sentinels proportion of the damage increases from abysmal to poor. At incarnate level, many blasters can have comparable defenses to most sentinels, but the sentinels are still carrying the reduced damage AND reduced target caps which were supposedly to compensate for their increased durability. My impression is that as high end content becomes more of a major focus on Homecoming, sentinels are dwindling into insignificance.

Please understand, I love the concept of Sentinels, and was very happy with my Sonic/SR incarnate. But that was an outlier that has now been adjusted down to superfluous in incarnate content.

7 hours ago, Sovera said:

Hide contents

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Ninja Tool Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Shriek -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(7)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), GldArm-3defTpProc(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34)
Level 2: Howl -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(17)
Level 4: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 6: Shout -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(19), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), GldJvl-Dam%(23)
Level 8: Environmental Adaptation -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Adaptation
Level 12: Shockwave -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(25), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(25), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(27), FrcFdb-Rechg%(27), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(33), Pnc-Heal(33)
Level 18: Sirens Song -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(34), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(42), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(42), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(43), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(43)
Level 20: Rebuild DNA -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Screech -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(34), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Acc/Rchg(36), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(36), GldJvl-Dam%(37)
Level 28: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 30: Amplify -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), GssSynFr--Build%(37), RctRtc-Pcptn(39), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 32: Dreadful Wail -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Erd-%Dam(42)
Level 35: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 38: Genomic Evolution -- UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 41: Boxing -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48)
Level 44: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(47), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(49), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(50)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48), Rct-Def(50)
Level 49: Tashibishi -- Slow-I(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(13)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation
Level 22: Afterburner
------------

The build doesn't have scream anymore? I'm surprised.

Thank you for sharing it again - I really appreciate it.

Edited by Kalean

6 hours ago, Here be Dragons said:

It wasn't that sentinel sonic blast was an outlier to other AT sonic blast aoe's, it was that it was an outlier to other sentinel aoe's. Adherence to a vague guideline espoused when they were designing Sentinels. Sentinels have been observed to under perform in terms of contributing to teams, yet there is no apparent re-evaluation of that original guideline.

My experience on +4 ITFs is that between Elite Bosses, Bosses, and Lieutenants, most mobs have significantly more than 6 targets standing, even after a well placed blaster nuke.

I also don't believe the suggestion that, after the rest of the party has done significant damage, it is fine that a sentinels proportion of the damage increases from abysmal to poor. At incarnate level, many blasters can have comparable defenses to most sentinels, but the sentinels are still carrying the reduced damage AND reduced target caps which were supposedly to compensate for their increased durability. My impression is that as high end content becomes more of a major focus on Homecoming, sentinels are dwindling into insignificance.

Please understand, I love the concept of Sentinels, and was very happy with my Sonic/SR incarnate. But that was an outlier that has now been adjusted down to superfluous in incarnate content.

Preaching to the choir. Nothing much to be done since the devs hold the power to change things. It may yet come, or they might feel the game's already stuffed with hybrids which unbalance everything (I kinda agree as the debacle of Brutes VS Tankers VS Scrappers continues).

That said Sentinels pay for the ease in soloing and leveling for being mediocre at end level just like meleers pay for the ease of soloing and leveling by being mulched in the new hard modes.